Can we finally all agree?

I would certainly move Goldson and Lundstram on, Tav I'm not sure about, he's our only goal threat and still our best player, he's not an inspirational leader though and this is the problem.

That until we get rid of Goldson, Tav etc. Then things will never change. I know about all the others but for a few seasons now thought until they go, then it will be impossible for the mentality to change.
The squads a complete mess and cant be sorted this sunmer. We cant afford to replace goldson, tav etc and replace the other glaring issues like wingers and striker

We've been agreeing this for couple seasons. Not one manager ripped it up.

Hopefully Clement is the first to realise this.
I think he will be. Kind of alluded to it in the presser yesterday when asked about the character of his squad, then reigned it back in a bit on a follow up question. I think he knows what's needed though and I don't think he'll be afraid to do it.

Tavernier leaving could be the best thing for Rangers.

Defenders defend. He's been abysmal at crucial times throughout his long long time here.

He needs sold tho because no way is he sitting on the bench and the chances are he would come back in, score a pen or a free kick and get back into the fans good books.

Get him out, keep Souttar and Yilmaz at the back and bring in a centre half and defensive right back. Get out attackers to start scoring.

Barring bids for them which let’s be honest isn’t likely they’ll still be starting next season.

There’s no way we’re having guys on their wages sitting on the bench.

What worries me is that it’s beginning to look like they’re spreading the losing bug to the newer guys too, Lawrence, Cantwell, Butland and even Sterling did not look up for it tonight.

I
These are the leaders, responsible for leading, setting standards and making sure our players are right up for it….which they are clearly not capable of doing. Times up. Fact!

That until we get rid of Goldson, Tav etc. Then things will never change. I know about all the others but for a few seasons now thought until they go, then it will be impossible for the mentality to change.
They seem to have a bigger following on this board than among guys who actually go to Ibrox.

Agreed. Talented players but would rather a few more who are up for the fight even if they’re closer to the Marvin Andrews/Christian Dailly/Lee McCulloch style
Absolutely agree. Look at the likes of Lawrence tonight. The nerves were evident. Even in the last few mins. Couldn't do the basics right. Over playing, hitting it too hard to the player he means to pass to.

A Lawrence type player under Smith would be like Wylde or something? He wasn't great but had heart and dig. Lawrence and Dowell are shocking standards of signings.

No.
You honestly think out of this squad those two are the biggest problem then you need your eyes tested.

If we think they've run their course fine. I can see the argument for that.
If we think there are tied to managers failing fine.

However you have two key problems-who has played in their era that is still contributing?
Who do we have as the replacement leaders to take us forward?

We love scapegoats. We have at this time nothing to build on, zero, zilch that's what two catastrophic results do to you.

It’s the biggest issue we have, no surprised there’s numerous threads

Until the charade is ended nothing will ever change
Replace those three players and I guarantee you won't solve the problem. We need more quality throughout the squad. It isn't a mentality issue with only 3 players that has caused such a dramatic collapse.

Finally agree? I don't think anything we watched tonight changed anybodies opinion. Had they caused a couple of goals we conceded, then 'final nail in the coffin' statements can be made.

Giving an out-of-contract Goldson a new contract, when he was prepared to leave but could find anything better, was a sliding doors moment for me. It epitomised our club's lack of gallusness at the time, when we similarly passed up opportunities to profit on peak Morelos and maybe others, instead showing a fear of the unknown and settling for what we had.

Our chickens have well and truly come home to roost this season with Goldson, who I just checked is contracted with us until summer 2026! :(

Replace those three players and I guarantee you won't solve the problem. We need more quality throughout the squad. It isn't a mentality issue with only 3 players that has caused such a dramatic collapse.

They contribute massively to this squad of players

Sadly

Clearly won’t solve everything but it’s the right place to start

I have said this for years ate my words when we won the league as both were very good, I went on the "aye but with fans they are crap" following season we throw the league away and we get to europa league final , I think hmm maybe wrong..... europa league final goldson let's a ball go past him frankfurt equalise.
Anyway tonight we kept a clean sheet thanks to Souttar showing fight and blocking. Is he the answer noo can you blame his partner possibly but I think etc is our whole squad? Everyone can leave as none are good enough until we realise then we are accepting 2nd best.

We've never all wanted to admit it's true. But it's the truth. Everyone knows it except us. Mind boggling stuff that makes you lose yer mind.

Comes down to mentality and they just don’t have it. They can’t handle the pressure or expectation, submissive mentality of wanting to be the underdog.

The frustration is they can do it in some games, some big games, but not all and not consistently especially against the dross.

Winning the Europa league group this year, winning the cup shows it can be done but when it needs a 50/60 game approach, they don't have it.

We need some fresh impetus and I'd listen to offers for everyone to let Phil rebuild.

Giving an out-of-contract Goldson a new contract, when he was prepared to leave but could find anything better, was a sliding doors moment for me. It epitomised our club's lack of gallusness at the time, when we similarly passed up opportunities to profit on peak Morelos and maybe others, instead showing a fear of the unknown and settling for what we had.

Our chickens have well and truly come home to roost this season with Goldson, who I just checked is contracted with us until summer 2026! :(
Spot on. It was a clear sign of lack of ambition by the club in general.

Tavernier, Goldson and Lundstram, the “leaders” are the single biggest problem at the football club and have been for years.
And the 1st names on the team sheet for the weekend. Look tonight the defence done it's job for a wee change. The way we played that game though?
We look rudderless.

There will be people along soon asking how we replace Tavs goals, completely missing the point that relying on your right back scoring 20 goals a season is fundamental to our problems in the 1st place.
His 20 goals won't matter as much when he doesn't have to compensate for the 20 problems he causes

Yet it was a complete hide and seek show from our midfield and forwards that cost us tonight. Not Goldson or Tav. The standard of our forward players in particular, is nowhere close to where it needs to be.

I would certainly move Goldson and Lundstram on, Tav I'm not sure about, he's our only goal threat and still our best player, he's not an inspirational leader though and this is the problem.

Tav being our best player is exasperating.

The squads a complete mess and cant be sorted this sunmer. We cant afford to replace goldson, tav etc and replace the other glaring issues like wingers and striker
Then we lose the league and another manager.

I don't want to hear it, even if it means taking a hit in some form. They all need to go.

What, or who, are the common denominators in all of the collapses we’ve had over the past few years?

It would be utterly negligent not to act upon that now.

I do agree it’s overdue a changing of the guard is required.

However my worry is it is just one of many many issues atm.

We had a clean sheet tonight so not sure why theres an immediate focus on Tav and Goldson.

Defenders will make mistakes but its our inability to score goals that has fucked us this season.
It's everything. We're rubbish upfront rubbish in midfield and rubbish at the back

All attacking play has to be slowed down so Tav gets involved one way or another, this attitude I'm not a fan of , players look to pass of responsibility and become lazy to do anything by themselves.
Tav isn't the player he was ,his crosses are generally crap and his corners predictable so much so nobody expects anything from them.
Get sterling in there asap ,let Tav rest as a sub until either he leaves or contract expires.
Goldson might even show himself better in games ,altho I think souttar is a better defender and deserves the right side he is suited to.
Lundstram does nothing slows the tempo and will happily sit around at the back letting the game go past him.

Absolutely agree. Look at the likes of Lawrence tonight. The nerves were evident. Even in the last few mins. Couldn't do the basics right. Over playing, hitting it too hard to the player he means to pass to.

A Lawrence type player under Smith would be like Wylde or something? He wasn't great but had heart and dig. Lawrence and Dowell are shocking standards of signings.
This is it it's the fucking basics. We went about 30 mins before we managed to string a few passes together

Either they leave or we source a manager brave enough to drop the pair of them.

Easier to say who you would
Keep than who leaves. Keep Butland (but probably have to sell him), Souttar, Ridvan (if we think we can keep him fit), Cantwell (maybe), Lundstram (if better midfielders round go he can still be decent squad player). Maybe Danilo. That’s it.

Away - Goldson, Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Tav, Diomande (hasn’t shown enough for me), Lawrence, Silva, Sima, Roofe, Dessers, Lammers, Wright, Cortes, Davies, Dowell

No.
You honestly think out of this squad those two are the biggest problem then you need your eyes tested.

If we think they've run their course fine. I can see the argument for that.
If we think there are tied to managers failing fine.

However you have two key problems-who has played in their era that is still contributing?
Who do we have as the replacement leaders to take us forward?

We love scapegoats. We have at this time nothing to build on, zero, zilch that's what two catastrophic results do to you.
We are definitely carrying some amount of sh!te in the sqaud, but tav and goldson are captain and vice captain. They don’t even seem to demand the minimum of, 100% effort.
We aren’t getting outplayed in these games, we are getting out worked and that’s their responsibility. Throw into the fact goldson is terrible at just his Job.
Their time is up, has to be.

This is it it's the fucking basics. We went about 30 mins before we managed to string a few passes together
You just love to see the urgency at the end too eh.

Playing it about like they're 3 nil up. Wee dinks here and there with no spark or energy in the pass.

It's genuinely like watching a mid table championship team with no end purpose or fight in them.
Even when they get it in the final third, they fumble about like amateurs and don't help one another.

How could anyone give any of those players pass marks for the last few games?

Wages are insane. I would say the end for Tav but he’s carried us to often.

Roofe, Lundstram & Goldson = 100k a week or thereabouts. Fucking hell.

Tav is a problem, he’s not a great defender and he’s not got the same energy levels to get up and down the park. We are exposed down that right hand side over and over again.

When teams like Dundee and Ross County actively target that area (successfully), you know it’s a problem.

Good servant to the club but time to go

Back