Captain next season

Not the cloth itself but compare how they act in a role.

They have captains that drive their team on, get in the refs face, get in the opposition face and dominate games.

Think Barry Ferguson and then think of Tav. Miles apart in captain ability
Welcome to modern football.

Does Odegaard of Arsenal do these things? De Bruyne at City? Nacho at Real? Son at Spurs? Martinez at Inter? Navas at Sevilla? Koke at Atletico? Calabria at AC? Can at Dortmund? Sergi Roberto at Barca?

"Get in the refs face" that about sums up some of our fans view on a captain, an antiquated notion that they need to be raving lunatics.
You can't get in a refs face, you'll be booked. Look at Collum for instance when anyone tried to talk to him. Plus if you were there last night you'd have seen Tav at least 4 times talking to the referee after his pish decisions.

As for driving your team on, Tavernier can be accused of a lot of things, but to suggest he doesn't and hasn't drove the team on is blinkered pish.

Too many variables at this stage. If Tav is still here I’d imagine it will remain with him.

In my opinion the smart thing to do would be for it to be made semi known that no official captain has been chosen and that the manager has asked the players to show leadership qualities, and he will chose someone to bear the armband after an assessment period.

It will likely be Tav. But I'm not so sure that Clement doesn't completely clear out this 'leadership group'. Somehow this summer just feels different. That being said, Tav is probably the lowest down the list.

As an aside I find it strange how some fail to even contemplate a future for Rangers beyond James Tavernier.

Someone capable of firing the team up on the park and who doesn't look like he's been toed in the balls every time we concede.

It will be and should be Tav but we don't have over estimate the power of a captain on here, it's a rulebook tick box, the days of the collar grabbing captain are gone.

There is zero chance a new signing coming in will be made captain. That player will have zero connection to the club. He probably won't jave any idea about the history of the club and what it means ti be a Ranger. Also there is zero guarantee a new signing is going to stay fit, settle in or play well. So that idea is ridiculous.

Tav will 100% be captain next season unless an acceptable bid from Saudi or whatever comes in and Tav agrees to leave.
After the start of this season when the fraud was manager, I was wanting Butland to get the captaincy. He had no previous links with the Rangers but you can tell he knows what that role involves. If he doesn't go in the summer then he's my choice again.

Nope . Been a massive fan of Tav but his times up ! We need to move on .
And me, he will be a big loss on his previous form, but the last few games have epitomised just how much he has regressed and should be away. On another note, I’m not sure why so many are c,convinced Butland is away, but if he stays I would make him captain.

If Tav is still here he will be captain. Maybe PC could keep him club captain and make someone else the first team captain that way everyone is happy.

I don’t want Butland having it, hopefully a new CM could take it.

Don’t think the captain is necessarily THAT important. We just need leaders somewhere. Odegaard at Arsenal has Saliba, Rice, etc. that means he can lead by example rather than necessarily shouting, smashing into people and setting the tone

I’ve no idea why so many are convinced Butland will be going. He’s expressed no interest in leaving, clearly loves the club, we have given him first team football and potentially CL football, definitely European football. Yes bids might come in and there may be. Temptation, but given his age and he will have made a lot of money so far if you can’t offer much of the above then I don’t think he’d be tempted unless for personal/family reasons. The likes of Forrest would be a non starter in my opinion. As for captain he is definitely a leader, but I prefer captains to be outfield players.
Becasue unfortunately we have made a mess of the player trading model (basset being the main exception) in the last few years we've let a whole host of contracts run down and been faced with 2 summer rebuild in a row, we will need to generate income to fund that. If someone bids £15m? Upwards for Butland he will be gone and will find 4/5 signings. That's just the way it's going to be

Because teams need to have one. They don’t pick the team or make the team play any better.

Ok mate, captains have never picked their team mates up and inspired them to a win.

Captains have never been their managers go to player for things.

Captains have never been looked up to by young players.

I could go on and on.

As much as I don’t think he’s the man for the job, there’s no way the Club are stripping the Captaincy from a player going into his 9th season.

The only way he loses that armband is if he leaves.

Sad, but true.

As much as I don’t think he’s the man for the job, there’s no way the Club are stripping the Captaincy from a player going into his 9th season.

The only way he loses that armband is if he leaves.

Sad, but true.
Clement will lose his job then and we will be discussing this same issue at the end of next season. You can’t trust the Daily Record for any relevant information so this Saudi rumour is most likely rubbish and no other clubs will be willing to pay the wages that Tavernier and Goldson is on. So if your scenario is true we are left with a situation where we prioritise Tavernier’s Rangers career over winning league titles.

You just know that next season when Clement keeps him as captain it'll go 2 ways.
We lose the league and its Tavernier's fault
or
We win the league and its all "My Captain" "Legend" etc

Apparently there's no middle ground

Clement will lose his job then and we will be discussing this same issue at the end of next season. You can’t trust the Daily Record for any relevant information so this Saudi rumour is most likely rubbish and no other clubs will be willing to pay the wages that Tavernier and Goldson is on. So if your scenario is true we are left with a situation where we prioritise Tavernier’s Rangers career over winning league titles.
You are the Paul Larkin/Tom Boyd of the Rangers support, absolutely bonkers.

The yearly Captain thead's early this year.

It is simple, really. If Tav is still at the club, he will be Captain. If he isn't, somebody else will take on the role. It makes zero difference to how we play or our results. Having fit and available players will make a difference.

You shouldn't need an armband to show drive and determination.

The abuse and hate towards Tav on this site and social media in general is nothing short of embarrassing. I’m first to admit he’s going through a rough patch but we have far bigger problems than him. If he stays he will still be captain if he goes Butland is a good shout but according to many on here his granny says he’s for the off!

Derail the thread?
You claim managers set up the team to improve his stats?
Every thread you go on about Tavernier when it’s not relevant?
Have a look at your history, you’re absolutely obsessed, it’s scary.
Time to lay off Martha.
Look you fucking clown, this thread is about a new captain and you are on here trying to derail it with this nonsense. I had a random thread from you on Saturday about me being in the 19th Century Terrorists crowd throwing missiles at Tav. You’re an obsessed little tosser and I’m glad I’m anonymous, the Martha connection is very apt with you.

Look you fucking clown, this thread is about a new captain and you are on here trying to derail it with this nonsense. I had a random thread from you on Saturday about me being in the 19th Century Terrorists crowd throwing missiles at Tav. You’re an obsessed little tosser and I’m glad I’m anonymous, the Martha connection is very apt with you.
You’re a parody, you’d need a sat-nav to find Ibrox, keep throwing insults at Rangers players from your bedroom, silly wee boy.

Do you two have private messages with each other or do you just synchronise.

The day your group can shut down the conversation about Tavernier has gone, more want him out than want him to stay.
Again......whit? o_O :D:D

You do realise what you posted is absolutely ludicrous and if you don't realise it then there's a 'want' with you.

It’ll be Tav if he still at the club, it’ll be interesting to see whether he is though. The manager has made a big deal a few times about not letting players contracts run down and losing people for free, so with only 2 seasons left on Tavs deal and him turning 33 this year, I think there’s only a couple of options.

1. Sell him if a decent offer comes in (probably from Saudi)
2. Let him stay 1 more season then try to sell him, but he will be turning 34 with only 1 year left by then, so taking that contract running down risk.
3. Extend his contract

If we get an offer this year and knock it back, I don’t see us getting much for him when he’s only got 1 year left and I definitely don’t see us extending his contract again either. Logically, if we get a decent offer this summer I think he will be gone, as I think it’s the last season we could get half decent money for him.

Do you two have private messages with each other or do you just synchronise.

The day your group can shut down the conversation about Tavernier has gone, more want him out than want him to stay.
Until we are winning and then more want him here than want him gone.

Butland will be away, can always tell when the teams doing the end of season walk round the park what players know they are away. He's been a fantastic player for us and I hope he can get back in the England squad next season.
Who would you have said from the end last night would be away then mate?

So you think if Tav stays and the.manager makes someone else captain that means we will be successful and the manager won't be away by Christmas
Where did i say that? Show me. Lol. On your high horse now cause I proved you don't know about football earlier.
Told you, always have to get the last word.
Embarrassing from someone who doesn't even go.

Ignore him mate, he's a nightmare.

Until we are winning and then more want him here than want him gone.
He’s been the focal point of the team for too long, it started with Warburton. We need a completely fresh ethos in our team that starts with a new captain and Tavernier and Goldson leaving. I think like me a lot of fans are crying out for a new style of football that doesn’t involve having fullbacks putting hopeful balls into the box and midfielders tasked more with covering for fullbacks than contributing to attacks.

Back