Captain next season

He’s been the focal point of the team for too long, it started with Warburton. We need a completely fresh ethos in our team that starts with a new captain and Tavernier and Goldson leaving. I think like me a lot of fans are crying out for a new style of football that doesn’t involve having fullbacks putting hopeful balls into the box and midfielders tasked more with covering for fullbacks than contributing to attacks.
Well you've had your wish since January because Clement implemented the inverted full back system which is why you saw both Yilmaz and Tavernier at various points last night in and around the D on the oppositions box

As much as I don’t think he’s the man for the job, there’s no way the Club are stripping the Captaincy from a player going into his 9th season.

The only way he loses that armband is if he leaves.

Sad, but true.
If we're changing out the leadership group I think he needs to go for this reason. We need root and branch change. I feel the issue lately has more been a mental one rather than ability - we need to fix that pronto.

Well you've had your wish since January because Clement implemented the inverted full back system which is why you saw both Yilmaz and Tavernier at various points last night in and around the D on the oppositions box
It’s as bad. It still involves Tavernier being the focal point with midfielders tasked with staying back whilst Tavernier stands around the D looking lost.

Tavernier needs to leave, a lot of fans have had enough and I’d hazard a guess that we have now tipped the scales on the amount who want him gone.

Where did i say that? Show me. Lol. On your high horse now cause I proved you don't know about football earlier.
Told you, always have to get the last word.
Embarrassing from someone who doesn't even go.
Omg your last post to me was saying if Tav stays then the manager will.be away before Christmas. But if Tav stays and has captaincy taken off him the manager will still be here. How can the manager make sure a player is away. I know the answer. He can't. Its impossible unless the player wants to leave. You didn't prove a single thing earlier. I blew your theory clean out the water. So again you are making shit up. I don't go regularly no. But what has that got to do with understanding how players contracts work and what rights a player has. Clueless

Omg your last post to me was saying if Tav stays then the manager will.be away before Christmas. But if Tav stays and has captaincy taken off him the manager will still be here. How can the manager make sure a player is away. I know the answer. He can't. Its impossible unless the player wants to leave. You didn't prove a single thing earlier. I blew your theory clean out the water. So again you are making shit up. I don't go regularly no. But what has that got to do with understanding how players contracts work and what rights a player has. Clueless
Think you've called me something in every post, same as you do with other folk.
Where did I mention him staying and having captaincy taken off him?
Looking forward to this.

He’s been the focal point of the team for too long, it started with Warburton. We need a completely fresh ethos in our team that starts with a new captain and Tavernier and Goldson leaving. I think like me a lot of fans are crying out for a new style of football that doesn’t involve having fullbacks putting hopeful balls into the box and midfielders tasked more with covering for fullbacks than contributing to attacks.
If Tavernier and Goldson are still around next season we will be back here again debating with the head in the sand crew after another season of failure.

Clement will lose his job then and we will be discussing this same issue at the end of next season. You can’t trust the Daily Record for any relevant information so this Saudi rumour is most likely rubbish and no other clubs will be willing to pay the wages that Tavernier and Goldson is on. So if your scenario is true we are left with a situation where we prioritise Tavernier’s Rangers career over winning league titles.
I don’t disagree.

I just don’t think the Club have the balls to enact such a radical change.

Think you've called me something in every post, same as you do with other folk.
Where did I mention him staying and having captaincy taken off him?
Looking forward to this.
Isn't that what you have been implying. If Tav isn't away and the manager keeps him captain then the manager will be sacked.

Tav will still be there next season and won’t be stripped of the arm band.
Thankfully though his big pal Goldson willl be long gone as he’s well and truely burnt his bridges as well as a batch of sick notes and perennial underachievers.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree.

I just don’t think the Club have the balls to enact such a radical change.
That’s been the problem for quite a few seasons now. Let’s be honest no club came in for Goldson when he didn’t have a contract so none are going to pay a fee for him, Tavernier is probably in the same boat. The only clubs that might take a chance will maybe do so with one of them loans with option to buy so that’s where we should be looking.

The amount of calls for Sterling is strange, the boy can't seem to put a run of games together through injury.

Sterling as captain ?

Someone will have to explain that to me.

Doesn’t come across as the blood and thunder type we crave.

Unless you’re sold on the fact he said “we’ve been shit” in a press conference
If we have anyone who comes close to that blood and thunder category it is him, makes and wins tackles he’s not favourite for, gets up and down the park and is the best player most times he play (in and out of position). Definition of leading by example. Not sure that blood and thunder is captain prerequisite though.

He is far and away more of a captain that the current one but you actually need the approval of the team you are supposed to lead and that will be difficult if Tav is still here next year.

In terms of things said in press conference, I’d rather his honest assessment than admission that we prefer to be underdogs (might have been in programme notes but the point stands)

Ok mate, captains have never picked their team mates up and inspired them to a win.

Captains have never been their managers go to player for things.

Captains have never been looked up to by young players.

I could go on and on.

This applies to every player in the team.

Wanting a keeper as captain seems to fly in the face of the logic behind wanting the captain changed in the first place. You want a player to show leadership on the pitch? Why would you give it to a guy that's stuck in his own box 99% of every game.

The issue I have with Tav as captain is that he’s undroppable because of it. I want Tav out the team, not just the captain changed. Changing captain won’t make a blind bit of difference - as others have said it’s a label that means nothing. So give it to someone who we don’t worry about never having to rotate (Butland?) or alternatively just rotate it around a number of key players.

For all of those calling Tav a loser, do they feel the same about John Greig who was captain from 1965 and never won a league title for what 8 years?

Was he a loser because he was the common denominator in all those years of failure?

It’s as bad. It still involves Tavernier being the focal point with midfielders tasked with staying back whilst Tavernier stands around the D looking lost.

Tavernier needs to leave, a lot of fans have had enough and I’d hazard a guess that we have now tipped the scales on the amount who want him gone.
As I said above though. They’ll soon change their minds whenever the chips aren’t down. About as consistent as the scottish summertime weather

The rumoured Saudi bid reeks of shite imo, I can’t see that happening.

Tav will more than likely be here next season and he’ll keep the armband if he is.

The idea that we’re binning a full team is pie in the sky stuff.

If Clement 'gets it' as most seem to think on here, and keeps Tav as captain, maybe he thinks he's the best man for the job?
So that would be 3 international footballers in Gerrard, van Bronkhorst and Clement, all captains at one stage in their careers, think Tav is captain material, yet the Rangers das on FF know better?

I'm tavs biggest fan but for me it's time for change , our playing squad needs revolutionised over the summer and regardless of his 9 year tenure he needs to be part of the outgoings

Folk saying give it to butland - what has he won?? He has played in and lost the same games our current captain is branded a serial loser for losing this season ? You could argue he has also had his poorest game in the old firm at Ibrox when Southgate was in the stands - what does this say about his ability to handle pressure?

If folk are going to critic our current captain ( rightfully so at times ) then we need to be consistent with observations when stating who should replace him

We need to sign a new leader to symbolise a change within the changing room , who that is I have no idea ...

I'm tavs biggest fan but for me it's time for change , our playing squad needs revolutionised over the summer and regardless of his 9 year tenure he needs to be part of the outgoings

Folk saying give it to butland - what has he won?? He has played in and lost the same games our current captain is branded a serial loser for losing this season ? You could argue he has also had his poorest game in the old firm at Ibrox when Southgate was in the stands - what does this say about his ability to handle pressure?

If folk are going to critic our current captain ( rightfully so at times ) then we need to be consistent with observations when stating who should replace him

We need to sign a new leader to symbolise a change within the changing room , who that is I have no idea ...
I agree it's time for change and the perfect opportunity to do so but let's let the manager do his work, if he decides Tav is his captain is he another manager who has got it wrong, or is it us mere mortals who know nothing?

We'll probably need it to be a new signing.

If its still Tav, hopefully it's a captains role from the bench for his (hopefully) last season.

I agree it's time for change and the perfect opportunity to do so but let's let the manager do his work, if he decides Tav is his captain is he another manager who has got it wrong, or is it us mere mortals who know nothing?
We'll find out possibly.

Personally I'd like to see Butland be Captain next season, if he's not sold for rebuild money. Out with that I'm not sure who be captain unless club bring in one worthy during summer. But has to be one constantly representing club with heart on his sleeve.
I’ll be honest I don’t like goalkeepers as captains, it has to be an outfield player for me

Who mentioned hate?
Making stuff up.
You keep backing him while we fall further and further behind the beggars.
So it's Tav's fault ? tell me, what do you want him to do as captain he isn't doing ?
We go on a winning run and play well not a peep, when we don't play well then it's a pile on Tav, it's pathetic

So it's Tav's fault ? tell me, what do you want him to do as captain he isn't doing ?
We go on a winning run and play well not a peep, when we don't play well then it's a pile on Tav, it's pathetic
Who blamed him?
You're good at making pish up.
I want him and Goldson and the other serial losers all gone.
He's the so called leader of the team on the park.
I want him to lead the team and do his job which primarily as right back is stop wingers putting ball's in the box which he again failed to do at the sty.
I don't want him taking every corner, free kick or throw in.
He let the Manager down v the pigs at Ibrox with a basic mistake which shifted the whole dynamic of where the title was headed.
Managers work for the week and game plan destroyed within 20 seconds by him.
All the rot needs removed otherwise I'll be on here this time next season and you'll still be making up excuses for him.
Had this discussion with my mates last season who were blind like you.
They want him away now.

Who blamed him?
You're good at making pish up.
I want him and Goldson and the other serial losers all gone.
He's the so called leader of the team on the park.
I want him to lead the team and do his job which primarily as right back is stop wingers putting ball's in the box which he again failed to do at the sty.
I don't want him taking every corner, free kick or throw in.
He let the Manager down v the pigs at Ibrox with a basic mistake which shifted the whole dynamic of where the title was headed.
Managers work for the week and game plan destroyed within 20 seconds by him.
All the rot needs removed otherwise I'll be on here this time next season and you'll still be making up excuses for him.
Had this discussion with my mates last season who were blind like you.
They want him away now.
:)) You ask who blamed him and say I'm making pish up, then spend the rest of your post blaming him

Back