Captain next season

The amount of calls for Sterling is strange, the boy can't seem to put a run of games together through injury.

Sterling is absolutley brilliant to the extent at tiems i wonder could he have done something at Chelsea

I am now wondering is the reason we got him because he cant stay fit

Always seems to have niggles

Reactions: M@x
Butland will be away, can always tell when the teams doing the end of season walk round the park what players know they are away. He's been a fantastic player for us and I hope he can get back in the England squad next season.
I fear he could be away, however, I watched him play his last game for Stoke when they got relegated, he was in tears as he walked round the fans. It was almost a given he would leave, yet he stayed another season or so.

So it's Tav's fault ? tell me, what do you want him to do as captain he isn't doing ?
He's celtic's biggest asset in old firm games, which costs us points and titles season after season. Motherwell's winner, Ross County 2 goals, Maeda's goal and Lundstram's own goal. He is a massive part of why we've failed again and failed season after season.
We go on a winning run and play well not a peep, when we don't play well then it's a pile on Tav, it's pathetic
Lying like a child is what's truly pathetic.

Not the cloth itself but compare how they act in a role.

They have captains that drive their team on, get in the refs face, get in the opposition face and dominate games.

Think Barry Ferguson and then think of Tav. Miles apart in captain ability
And then some, mate! Even in games that BF didn't perform well, he still had the motivational ability to get more out of the others around him.

Reactions: GF1
Unfortunately it will probly be another two seasons of Tav, If teams were interested in Tav he would have been gone a few seasons ago
Maybe, just maybe, if Tav has better players around him from next season then he might actually be just fine staying where he is in his current capacity?

I'll go against the grain but I don't think "captaincy " is the issue we simply need a squad of better players on the park who aren't injured every week. If that means we buy a better eight back and someone else becomes captain fine if not and it's still tav but we've massively improved the squad and tav is still captain then that's also fine
It's all part of the issue, it's everything.

We need change. Something hasn't been working for several seasons, changed several managers and nothing has changed since why not try changing the captain?

If Tavernier stays it will stay the same. If he goes then it will be Butland.

If both go then genuinely no idea as there are no leaders I can think of in that team.

Pretty much resigned to losing Butland and really hoping Tav moves on along with a bunch of others so hopefully the manager has someone in mind and is going to sign his own man for the captaincy. We badly need a few big characters in that dressing room with leadership qualities but getting them is easier said than done.

As I said above though. They’ll soon change their minds whenever the chips aren’t down. About as consistent as the scottish summertime weather
We have this conversation every season since we’ve been back in the premier league bar one. I don’t think it’s as easy to write it off with the scenario you are suggesting even if what I just quoted does exactly that.
It’s not just a winning thing; the we play football is very Tavernier orientated with him as a focal point. I want a change and just can’t see it happening with him at the club.

If Clement 'gets it' as most seem to think on here, and keeps Tav as captain, maybe he thinks he's the best man for the job?
So that would be 3 international footballers in Gerrard, van Bronkhorst and Clement, all captains at one stage in their careers, think Tav is captain material, yet the Rangers das on FF know better?
I can't see us winning much in the near future if its much the same..Its all about options I suppose.

We have this conversation every season since we’ve been back in the premier league bar one. I don’t think it’s as easy to write it off with the scenario you are suggesting even if what I just quoted does exactly that.
It’s not just a winning thing; the we play football is very Tavernier orientated with him as a focal point. I want a change and just can’t see it happening with him at the club.
I agree with you that we rely on him to produce for us far too often, that's where Clement needs to make sure we improve next season with assists and goals from all over the park (but especially needing some from the left hand side for balance)
Dessers, Sima and Tavernier have IMO done their part this season. The others around them haven't carried enough weight with goals and assists which is why when our great defensive record we had eventually faltered we dropped points.

:)) You ask who blamed him and say I'm making pish up, then spend the rest of your post blaming him
I mentioned other serial losers, the team and all the rot so mentioned more than him.More pish from you.
You then asked what I wanted him to do so I told you this.
He's the leader of this clusterfuck.
Answered you with facts.

I agree with you that we rely on him to produce for us far too often, that's where Clement needs to make sure we improve next season with assists and goals from all over the park (but especially needing some from the left hand side for balance)
Dessers, Sima and Tavernier have IMO done their part this season. The others around them haven't carried enough weight with goals and assists which is why when our great defensive record we had eventually faltered we dropped points.
This is where we will have to agree to disagree; they haven’t carried enough weight with goals and assists because Tavernier’s position is suffocating the others.
Let midfielders concentrate more on the attacking side of the game instead of holding back so Tav can get forward, instead of midfielders looking for Tav have them looking for runners getting behind the defence, instead of attackers having to try to get their head on the ball in a packed box from one of Tav’s long floaty balls have it played to feet.
If Tav was still able to get up and contribute to the attacks whilst being able to do his defensive duties then I’d agree but I think we have tired the lad out and he is no longer capable. Due to that we need to set up at least one role in the team to allow him to play his game, which in my view is detrimental.

He's celtic's biggest asset in old firm games, which costs us points and titles season after season. Motherwell's winner, Ross County 2 goals, Maeda's goal and Lundstram's own goal. He is a massive part of why we've failed again and failed season after season.

Lying like a child is what's truly pathetic.
It's denial I think mate.

Tav has passed his peak by at least 2 years. He knows it too. The entire defence is weak and unreliable.

He hits a good free kick and a decent penalty, but the amount we have relied on that in the past few seasons just points to something wrong within the team.

The squad needs a fresh outlook, the current environment is stale and uninspiring.

A new spine is required - and a new captain. Outside hire for me.

Maybe but it’s time for change
I personally want to see how Tav fares in a changed squad with some new faces around him. His contribution over this season has still been significant even if performances themselves have been a bit up and down. Genuine fresh new blood in around him might give him a new lease of life. He's one of the old guard I personally want to see around still next season.

Welcome to modern football.

Does Odegaard of Arsenal do these things? De Bruyne at City? Nacho at Real? Son at Spurs? Martinez at Inter? Navas at Sevilla? Koke at Atletico? Calabria at AC? Can at Dortmund? Sergi Roberto at Barca?

"Get in the refs face" that about sums up some of our fans view on a captain, an antiquated notion that they need to be raving lunatics.
You can't get in a refs face, you'll be booked. Look at Collum for instance when anyone tried to talk to him. Plus if you were there last night you'd have seen Tav at least 4 times talking to the referee after his pish decisions.

As for driving your team on, Tavernier can be accused of a lot of things, but to suggest he doesn't and hasn't drove the team on is blinkered pish.
We will agree to disagree.

Whilst I take on board your points about the other captains, unfortunately this backwater shitehole we play in hasn't advanced. If we want to be successful here then we need to play to the circumstances

This place is obsessed with who gets to be ghost written in the program and call "Heads" every second game. All I need from a captain is someone who represents the club well, sets a good example, encourages young players and doesn't split the dressing room.

Taking Connor and Tav out of the team as some want won't add leadership - it'll just take away the small amount there is currently.

The idea that their presence in some way inhibits all our other would be winners from going out and taking on the word is probably the single most stupid opinion on here. It's a paradox, that could only be true if those strong personalities are being cowed by weak personalities. It doesn't stand up to logic.

By all means add more on-field leadership and determination. But it doesn't matter if those players wear an armband. And adding is different from replacing.

I mentioned other serial losers, the team and all the rot so mentioned more than him.More pish from you.
You then asked what I wanted him to do so I told you this.
He's the leader of this clusterfuck.
Answered you with facts.
No you answered with opinions and preferences, think you need a wee lie down

Sick to the back teeth of saying it, but if we had ten outfield Tavs, we'd be sweeping up in this country year after year

Every single year he's either top scorer or there abouts, he's top assist maker, he's either POTY or close to it. By far and away the most underappreciated player we've ever had. Our support has gone fucking feral the last few years and if he doesn't have a barnstormer and score at least twice every game, the knives are out.

The Rangers support does not deserve Tavernier.

Sick to the back teeth of saying it, but if we had ten outfield Tavs, we'd be sweeping up in this country year after year

Every single year he's either top scorer or there abouts, he's top assist maker, he's either POTY or close to it. By far and away the most underappreciated player we've ever had. Our support has gone fucking feral the last few years and if he doesn't have a barnstormer and score at least twice every game, the knives are out.

Take away the penalties, free kicks and corner and his stats humongously shrink. You know that, everybody knows it.

Take away his set peice duties and we have clear as day a right back that can't defend and one who's overrated to the high heavens attacking wise.

He's the luckiest Rangers player ever, if anything.

Take away the penalties, free kicks and corner and his stats humongously shrink. You know that, everybody knows it.

Take away his set peice duties and we have clear as day a right back that can't defend and one who's overrated to the high heavens attacking wise.

He's the luckiest Rangers player ever, if anything.
Take away the penalties, free kicks and corners.

Right you are.

Thickest thing I've read on here in a while.

It will be serial loser James Tavernier

Captain Disappointed is ready for another season of getting skinned weekly by the most average wingers to exist and handing over the league to the filth

And his defensive frailties?

I'd give it to Souttar in the hope it would bring out a bit more in him.

If the players I hope leave do he's the only real candidate for me.

Either that or we bring one in.

I'd give it to Souttar in the hope it would bring out a bit more in him.

If the players I hope leave do he's the only real candidate for me.

Either that or we bring one in.
Can’t bring out what isn’t there imo

Souttars ability is very limited i feel

Would do as back up but if he’s a starting CB next season we are in trouble imo

Signing 2 Centre Backs is a priority for me in the summer
Mentality dependant one of them could definitely be taking the badge

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe, if Tav has better players around him from next season then he might actually be just fine staying where he is in his current capacity?
He got the blame of Launstorm smashing ball in his own net under no pressure

The internet would find something to moan at Tav about.

Why would Sterling be captain? Other than performing well in 425 positions, what has he done to show he is captain material?
Stand up and be counted head and shoulders above his peers just about everytime he plays.

What have the other candidates done, other than be mainstays in annual collapses?

No you answered with opinions and preferences, think you need a wee lie down
All facts.
He doesn't stop the winger crossing the ball.
He is the leader on the park.
He did %^*& up within 20 seconds v them at Ibrox.
He does take all the free kicks, corners and throw ins.
All the rot needs removed.
All facts.
You're the one making things up, you tried it with someone else.
Lol.

It will be serial loser James Tavernier

Captain Disappointed is ready for another season of getting skinned weekly by the most average wingers to exist and handing over the league to the filth
If he is still here, he will 100% be captain but if it all goes tits up it will get poisonous I think.
Best for all party's if he goes.

All facts.
He doesn't stop the winger crossing the ball.
He is the leader on the park.
He did %^*& up within 20 seconds v them at Ibrox.
He does take all the free kicks, corners and throw ins.
All the rot needs removed.
All facts.
You're the one making things up, you tried it with someone else.
Lol.
Yes because that's exactly what you posted last time :)) enjoy your nap

Haven’t we been saying this now since 2015? At what point do we stop flogging this dead horse! I’m expecting another 4 or 5-0 game at the weekend and the fans calling for us to give new contracts to Lunny and Jack and threads saying “maybe Wright is the winger we need and we don’t need to spend big” and “build this team around McCausland, he just gets what it means to be at Rangers”.

He’s been here almost a decade. In that time he’s got into the hall of fame, gave far more for the club and fans in terms of memories and stats than anyone else in the last 20 years. Let him go out on a high after winning the cup before fans start properly turning against him! We’ve changed everyone else from board room down to tea ladies and we still haven’t made it work for us so let’s stop clinging to this idea that we can keep the same personnel and expect a different outcome.

Back