Captain next season

Take away the penalties, free kicks and corner and his stats humongously shrink. You know that, everybody knows it.

Take away his set peice duties and we have clear as day a right back that can't defend and one who's overrated to the high heavens attacking wise.

He's the luckiest Rangers player ever, if anything.
Are we taking McCoist, Boyd, Cooper and Albertz penalties and free kicks off too?
Probably one of the most stupid things i've read from a 'Rangers' fan, you have got previous to be fair.

The whole team is stale in my opinion apart fro. 3 players I would keep who would be guaranteed a starting position sterling butland and yilmaz but I think itl be hard to keep butland beyond the summer, we need a full fresh squad of clements and koppens signings so who will be captain is beyond me, we need someone who is going to get in the referees face they way that wee snivelling cnut mcgregor does and there's not many who'll do that the now apart from dessers and he's not captain material either

Take away the penalties, free kicks and corners.

Right you are.

Thickest thing I've read on here in a while.
You made the point about his ability, i'm saying take away his biggest opportunity to be involved in a goal, penalties and set peices, and there's no defending his terrible defending and his bang average ability going forward.

Are we taking McCoist, Boyd, Cooper and Albertz penalties and free kicks off too?
Why would we?
Probably one of the most stupid things i've read from a 'Rangers' fan, you have got previous to be fair.
'Rangers fan' in sarcastic air quotes, I've seen that previously from you. Always a temper tantrum when you disagree with a poster :))

That's because his biggest fanboys would have little goal contributions to use as an excuse to cover up his terrible defending.

Can see Butland heading back south, so it will still likely be the serial loser. Butland must be pig-sick of getting booed off the park every week, after turning in MOTM performances. His England career might get back on track, too,

He doesn't need to be 'sold' to not see out his contract.

There would be little to no point in holding out for a fee, no one's ever been interested in taking him off us before and won't at 31.
So how the hell cam he not see put his contract if not sold. Just quit. Lose a years salary. Sacked. Learn how contracts work. We won't be paying anyone off. Our chairman has repeatedly said this.

So how the hell cam he not see put his contract if not sold. Just quit. Lose a years salary. Sacked. Learn how contracts work. We won't be paying anyone off. Our chairman has repeatedly said this.
I think the poster was meaning we could agree to let him go for free if someone was willing to match his wages. That’s what I would be doing were I Clement.

Captaincy shouldn’t change if tavs still here, But we need big changes so he shouldn’t be here. Mind you if he’s as good as some think there will be a bidding war for him

Why would we?

'Rangers fan' in sarcastic air quotes, I've seen that previously from you. Always a temper tantrum when you disagree with a poster :))

That's because his biggest fanboys would have little goal contributions to use as an excuse to cover up his terrible defending.
Just interested why you'd only take them off one player?

I'm always a bit sus of 'Rangers' fans talking down achievements of Rangers and their players, find it really bizarre, never met these types ever.

I think the poster was meaning we could agree to let him go for free if someone was willing to match his wages. That’s what I would be doing were I Clement.
No player will ever just leave for free when he has a year full salary left. The next club would need to double his wages to match what he loses. Never ever happening. We gave him a contract and need to honour it.

A loan with us subsidising his wages is the best option for all concerned as I can’t see any club willing to pay the wages he is on. Tav languishing in the background whilst we kickstart our revival is not beneficial for anyone.

they could just mutually agree to part ways if he has a offer he wants to pursue and we're happy to get rid of him.

Especially a player with 0 sell on value.

Just interested why you'd only take them off one player?

I'm always a bit sus of 'Rangers' fans talking down achievements of Rangers and their players, find it really bizarre, never met these types ever.
Because then there would be nothing to paper over his severe deficiencies that have been costing us for years.

Aye, I think I know what kinda guy you are from your replies to posters that disagree with you. Which achievement of Tav or Rangers did I talk down anyway?

Because then there would be nothing to paper over his severe deficiencies that have been costing us for years.

Aye, I think I know what kinda guy you are from your replies to posters that disagree with you. Which achievement of Tav or Rangers did I talk down anyway?
Maybe that's why several managers continue to play him, because of his threat going forward, just a thought?

Well if you're removing his penalties and free kicks you're talking down his goal record surely?

No player will ever just leave for free when he has a year full salary left. The next club would need to double his wages to match what he loses. Never ever happening. We gave him a contract and need to honour it.
If he’s told he’s no longer wanted and Gerrard comes in offering the same wages (which would be tax free) then of course he’d consider going. If we put an asking price on his head then it will put of potential suitors but a 31 year old with his stats for free? I also don’t think he would sit out his contract on the bench as some sort of mercenary. As much as I’ll heavily slate him of late for not being good enough either defending or captaining, he’s far too decent a guy and with a love of the club to do that. After all this time here why would he want to be remembered for the guy sitting in the stands taking millions of us because he refused to go?

Maybe that's why several managers continue to play him, because of his threat going forward, just a thought?

Well if you're removing his penalties and free kicks you're talking down his goal record surely?
And it how well did it serve them? The overwhelming majority of his goals are penalties. While he gifts a goal to celtic almost every game we play them which costs us points and trophies.

Not at all. He can take a great penalty. Take him off penalties and there's no goal scoring stats to hide behind when he's gifting goals and points away. I've made that same point to you twice now. What about it do you not understand?

A loan with us subsidising his wages is the best option for all concerned as I can’t see any club willing to pay the wages he is on. Tav languishing in the background whilst we kickstart our revival is not beneficial for anyone.
I don’t know what he’s on but I remember it being said on here back in January that he wasn’t even in our top 4 earners (Silva, Lundstram, Goldson and someone else - maybe Roofe?). And even “top earner” with us will be well less than £40k and probably nearer £30k. That’s pennies to the Saudis. A nice little signing on fee for Tav thrown in sets him and his family up for life.

And it how well did it serve them? The overwhelming majority of his goals are penalties. While he gifts a goal to celtic almost every game we play them which costs us points and trophies.

Not at all. He can take a great penalty. Take him off penalties and there's no goal scoring stats to hide behind when he's gifting goals and points away. I've made that same point to you twice now. What about it do you not understand?
Just the 58 goals to 'hide behind'.

A new centre back or central midfielder please.

Only ones at the club I’d give it to would be Butland, who’ll be away, or Sterling if he got a permanent position in midfield.
You give that band to a young guy like Sterling?

A man who scowls his way around the park taking every tackle like a personal affront, a battle to be won?

You might just unleash a beast. I like it!

It's all part of the issue, it's everything.

We need change. Something hasn't been working for several seasons, changed several managers and nothing has changed since why not try changing the captain?
I'm not saying its not an option but ultimately it's players of quality win you titles we've all seen the difference a quality goalkeeper makes but unfortunately we don't have the same level of quality outfield and for me that's the bigger priority right now

Explain what you mean, double?

Haven’t we been saying this now since 2015? At what point do we stop flogging this dead horse! I’m expecting another 4 or 5-0 game at the weekend and the fans calling for us to give new contracts to Lunny and Jack and threads saying “maybe Wright is the winger we need and we don’t need to spend big” and “build this team around McCausland, he just gets what it means to be at Rangers”.

He’s been here almost a decade. In that time he’s got into the hall of fame, gave far more for the club and fans in terms of memories and stats than anyone else in the last 20 years. Let him go out on a high after winning the cup before fans start properly turning against him! We’ve changed everyone else from board room down to tea ladies and we still haven’t made it work for us so let’s stop clinging to this idea that we can keep the same personnel and expect a different outcome.
Tav is literally the only one out of the "flogging a dead horse" crew that I've mentioned as worth keeping. For reasons I've already stated.
If you expect a brand new 11 to hit the ground running with no teething problems I think that's as far fetched as sticking with the same crew and expecting a different outcome.

they could just mutually agree to part ways if he has a offer he wants to pursue and we're happy to get rid of him.

Especially a player with 0 sell on value.
Sorry but that's bollocks. He agreed a new year deal he won't just leave out of the goodness of his heart. He has £1.5m left in his contract. So yeah just wall away.

Explain what you mean, double?
It's simple. He is due say £1.5m for his last year. If he leaves and just says OK let's cancel my contract. The next club he goes to will need to offer him double his current contract to still make the money he is due. It's easy to understand. A player won't just walk away from so much money. No chance. We signed his contract. We owe him that money.

You made the point about his ability, i'm saying take away his biggest opportunity to be involved in a goal, penalties and set peices, and there's no defending his terrible defending and his bang average ability going forward.
"Take away his biggest opportunity to be involved in a goal"

Man you're really thick aren't you? You can't just say take away his penalties, free kicks and corners ffs.

But even if you did really want to play that game, he's got 5 goals and 10 assists this season from open play. 15 goal contributions. if you prefer that term. Only Dessers and Sima have a higher goal contribution tally from open play. If that's what we're calling "bang average" going forward (it isn't) then what does it say about the rest of the squad? As for his 'terrible defending' - one bad patch the last couple of months does not make him a terrible defender. He's the second highest ranked player in Europe this season outside of the 5 big league (#1 is Joey Veerman).

People are just blinded by their hatred for him and can't see the wood for the trees. This team hasn't been let down by Tav over the years - Tav has been let down by the team.

It's simple. He is due say £1.5m for his last year. If he leaves and just says OK let's cancel my contract. The next club he goes to will need to offer him double his current contract to still make the money he is due. It's easy to understand. A player won't just walk away from so much money. No chance. We signed his contract. We owe him that money.
I don't get what you mean.
Why can the new club not pay what we are paying and it's the same?

Tav is literally the only one out of the "flogging a dead horse" crew that I've mentioned as worth keeping. For reasons I've already stated.
If you expect a brand new 11 to hit the ground running with no teething problems I think that's as far fetched as sticking with the same crew and expecting a different outcome.
I wasn’t referring to the flogging a dead horse as a crew, it was literally aimed directly at Tav. I’ve said further back the thread I would have him in the top group of players who absolutely have to be moved on this summer (alongside Lundstram and Goldson). Just changing him MAY be what we’ve been needing and finally bring us the success that 6 managers, 3 chairmen and 108 new team mates have not. But we could also go through another 6 managers before deciding a then 40 year old Tav should move on. When everyone but 1 from a cast of hundreds are all changed and the results don’t, maybe taking the plunge to try it without that 1 is worth trying?

It will, and should, be James Henry Tavernier.
Yer arse.

If he’s here next season I’ll be spewin. Very aware of the job he’s done for us but there’s a mental weakness in this squad and we need to stop the rot.

Him, Goldson, Barasic, Lundstram out or it’ll be another mediocre season

Back