Captain next season

What if Tav left, Goldson stayed and Goldson was made captain by Clement?
oooft, what a scenario. i think this place would go into full meltdown!

open question here
Can anyone contributing to this thread ever remember at any time, any player coming out and telling the press / media that tav had strong / encouraging/ uplifting words to say either before a game or maybe when we were behind at half time?

i dont dislike the guy, but what does he bring as a captain?

oooft, what a scenario. i think this place would go into full meltdown!

open question here
Can anyone contributing to this thread ever remember at any time, any player coming out and telling the press / media that tav had strong / encouraging/ uplifting words to say either before a game or maybe when we were behind at half time?

i dont dislike the guy, but what does he bring as a captain?

Can you remember a time where any player at any team in world football has came out and said that about their captain?

The 1 O Reily scores into Butland near post or 1 Launstorm put in his own under no pressure?

The goals at Ibrox

I admit Tav was poor for Maeda goal but was very unlucky where it ended up

Penalty

Idah scores Butland near post

I am not going back further but thats the recent 1s
O reilly scores because again Tav loses maeda , last season semi final v them
The same

Sorry Admin.

Contriving to "shit the bed" as you put it showed me that the manager and his 'easy to play through' flawed formation had well and truly been found out, when rejects from Morecambe and Oxford are passing through our midfield the alarm bells were ringing.

Not to mention his 'chuck names in a tombola' style of picking his team and coming out with players who can't run like, Dowell and Lawrence, but aye it's "lack of on-field leadership".
Deary me, you're not really understanding "all of the above" are you ?

Yes, there are issues with quality - but I'm simply not buying that lack of quality was responsible for us losing - for the first time in our history - to team which lost its next game to Livingston. Or for failing to score against a side we put 5 goals past on Tuesday.

Every time we had the chance to go top in the latter stages of the season, we somehow managed to fụck it up. It's almost as if the players can't handle the pressure of stepping up and taking top place.

What makes you so sure that mentality and leadership issues have played no part in finishing second yet again ?

Deary me, you're not really understanding "all of the above" are you ?

Yes, there are issues with quality - but I'm simply not buying that lack of quality was responsible for us losing - for the first time in our history - to team which lost its next game to Livingston. Or for failing to score against a side we put 5 goals past on Tuesday.

Every time we had the chance to go top in the latter stages of the season, we somehow managed to fụck it up. It's almost as if the players can't handle the pressure of stepping up and taking top place.

What makes you so sure that mentality and leadership issues have played no part in finishing second yet again ?
Deary me, did we not go top, I seem to remember us going 2 points clear?

You must have watched County have the run of the midfield, while our 2 tortoises in midfield are meandering about, not tracking runners?

It’s a simpletons argument, there’s loads of different components, injuries, loss of form, wrong team picked again, sitters missed again, horrendous refereeing, loads of stuff.

If we go into next season with Tavernier as captain, playing every game, taking every set piece, and by extension basically still trying to have a team that revolves around him then we really do deserve everything we’ll get.

He’s been a great servant but sadly is now symptomatic of a team that always fails, and has far too much negative baggage and scar tissue from past failures.

Next season we absolutely need a new look hungry team on the pitch with new ideas that has no fear of our rivals or of winning trophies. We won’t have that if the man leading that team knows nothing but failure and having his pants pulled down by the team we need to beat.

We will continue to lose more and more goals from our right flank as Tav loses pace with age. The longer we hang onto him the more goals we will lose from the right flank.

We need young full backs with lots of pace who can motor up and down the pitch. Yilmaz (when fit) provides that on the left flank, Sterling could provide it on the right flank.

There is no time for sentiment in football. We have been guilty of holding onto players for too long in the past.

The bheasts tend to be a bit more ruthless and less sentimental in their transfer dealings than us, they are faster to get rid of players are replace them with younger quicker players.

You must have watched County have the run of the midfield, while our 2 tortoises in midfield are meandering about, not tracking runners?

It’s a simpletons argument, there’s loads of different components, injuries, loss of form, wrong team picked again, sitters missed again, horrendous refereeing, loads of stuff.
Last 3 seasons domestically its sitters that have cost is more than anything else has.

I mentioned latter stages of the league...pay attention !

You've also failed to realise you're agreeing with me in that there is likely to be a number of issues.

But for some odd reason you're adamant that lack of on-field leadership and questionable mentality aren't amongst them. Weird.

I would chase Tavernier down Edmiston Drive he is a serial loser i couldnt care if he scores 300 goals he doesnt win league championships for Rangers he needs told to leave his time is well and truly up along with many others
He needs to go, that’s a certainty. I believe we have reached the point where the vast majority of our supporters want him out of the team with a new fresh ethos giving us a better chance of winning the league. Go into the following season with Tavernier and we might start seeing the board being the ones forced to leave.

I mentioned latter stages of the league...pay attention !

You've also failed to realise you're agreeing with me in that there is likely to be a number of issues.

But for some odd reason you're adamant that lack of on-field leadership and questionable mentality aren't amongst them. Weird.
I’d call March the latter stages.

You also failed to realise you’re agreeing with me as it’s you who quoted me first?

I’m adamant about nothing, did you miss the “loads of stuff”at the end of the last paragraph?

Weird right enough.

Can you remember a time where any player at any team in world football has came out and said that about their captain?
i certainly remember players saying that barry ferguson ripped them at HT. Gough and Brown also had plenty to say during a bad performance.
Roy keane, patrick Viera , plenty of their team mates told at the time that they would tear strips or cajole, depending on what was required.

different time now thoughI suppose

I’d call March the latter stages.

You also failed to realise you’re agreeing with me as it’s you who quoted me first?

I’m adamant about nothing, did you miss the “loads of stuff”at the end of the last paragraph?

Weird right enough.
So you agree that mentality and lack of leadership may well be issues.

So, should Tavernier be captain next season or not ?

O reilly scores because again Tav loses maeda , last season semi final v them
The same

Tavernier was nowhere near the O’Reilly goal. Lawrence never tracked McGregor and O’Reilly was left on his own at the edge of the box

Tavernier. Like it or not. Both he & Goldson will still be here.
Well PC will be out on his ear before the end of next season and FF will be wondering, yet again, if the new manager will have a summer clear out and a reset.

Amongst other things theres a mentality issue that seems to affect almost every player that walks through the doors at Ibrox.

Did he 1 league title in seven years if thats what you qualify as successful thats your opinion its certainly not mine he is a serial loser
3 trophies out of a possible 21 in his time as captain. 4 trebles for that mob. A head start of 16 trophy lead in the most successful club race can be matched this month. He absolutely has to go! The scar tissue as someone put it from so many defeats can’t not permeate through the squad from such an influential player. And I think it would be disrespectful to take the captaincy of him and it would probably have a negative affect on the squad. So, as have been threads on this subject for over 18 months (if not longer) now has to be the time we cut that chord!

Well PC will be out on his ear before the end of next season and FF will be wondering, yet again, if the new manager will have a summer clear out and a reset.

Amongst other things theres a mentality issue that seems to affect almost every player that walks through the doors at Ibrox.
The boards jackets will be on a shoogly peg also. Tavernier must leave, that’s the most important decision that needs made in the summer.

i certainly remember players saying that barry ferguson ripped them at HT. Gough and Brown also had plenty to say during a bad performance.
Roy keane, patrick Viera , plenty of their team mates told at the time that they would tear strips or cajole, depending on what was required.

different time now thoughI suppose
It’s a sad reflection on our times. If captains acted that way now they’d be suspended for bullying and prosecuted under Humzas hate crimes!

I think the only way it's not Tav again is if Clement gives it to a new player just in the door.

The only other realistic options from the current squad are Butland or Goldson and for different reasons, I hope and think they're both offski (only for the much needed money that Jack would bring in for the rebuild, obv not a reflection on his quality).

But handing it to a player just in is extremely rare and would be some amount of pressure on their shoulders. Only way it works imo is if it's an experienced campaigner who's been there and done that and would command respect instantly.

Was actually looking at Thomas Delaney earlier. Just finished a year long loan at Anderlecht, only a year left on contract at Sevilla and would likely be cheap. 32 now but no doubting his experience at both domestic and international level. Someone in that mould might be a possibility I suppose? Still would be a hell of a risk though.

But then again, the main problem for me with Tav retaining it is that it means he'll automatically be playing every game again, taking set pieces, retaining the mental scars of too many defeats against the scum etc. I don't necessarily mind him staying but it should be in a reduced role - part of the squad, rotated and not captain.

I think whichever way Clement plays this will tell us a lot about whether he has the ruthless streak and desire for wholesale change that we all have.

I think the only way it's not Tav again is if Clement gives it to a new player just in the door.

The only other realistic options from the current squad are Butland or Goldson and for different reasons, I hope and think they're both offski (only for the much needed money that Jack would bring in for the rebuild, obv not a reflection on his quality).

But handing it to a player just in is extremely rare and would be some amount of pressure on their shoulders. Only way it works imo is if it's an experienced campaigner who's been there and done that and would command respect instantly.

Was actually looking at Thomas Delaney earlier. Just finished a year long loan at Anderlecht, only a year left on contract at Sevilla and would likely be cheap. 32 now but no doubting his experience at both domestic and international level. Someone in that mould might be a possibility I suppose? Still would be a hell of a risk though.

But then again, the main problem for me with Tav retaining it is that it means he'll automatically be playing every game again, taking set pieces, retaining the mental scars of too many defeats against the scum etc. I don't necessarily mind him staying but it should be in a reduced role - part of the squad, rotated and not captain.

I think whichever way Clement plays this will tell us a lot about whether he has the ruthless streak and desire for wholesale change that we all have.
If we can get Tav off the books as I’ve been quite vocal in saying needs to be done, I would not make a huge deal of the captaincy. As everyone seems to agree (whether berating or praising Tav) the captaincy is not what it once was. So we give it to someone like Butland or Souttar on a “temporary basis” only. See who we get in the door and maybe give them a shot. Don’t hamstrung ourselves by having to play out of form players because of the captaincy.

As a further dilution of the captains role, from next season should the captain be a goal keeper then each game a nominated outfield player is picked to act as the defacto captain and only they can approach referees. So just pick who that guy will be on a game to game basis depending on form.

We will continue to lose more and more goals from our right flank as Tav loses pace with age. The longer we hang onto him the more goals we will lose from the right flank.

We need young full backs with lots of pace who can motor up and down the pitch. Yilmaz (when fit) provides that on the left flank, Sterling could provide it on the right flank.

There is no time for sentiment in football. We have been guilty of holding onto players for too long in the past.

The bheasts tend to be a bit more ruthless and less sentimental in their transfer dealings than us, they are faster to get rid of players are replace them with younger quicker players.

Yet the Dundee goal the other night was Ridvan's fault and he escapes all criticism.

Many players about Gough ,

You're right mate, football hasn't changed at all in 30 years.

If you think you can get away with even a fraction of what you could back then then you're deluded. Just about every manager will tell you how different dressing rooms are nowadays.

I would chase Tavernier down Edmiston Drive he is a serial loser i couldnt care if he scores 300 goals he doesnt win league championships for Rangers he needs told to leave his time is well and truly up along with many others
So when you chase him will you be handing him a £3m cheque for his wages he is due.

Yet the Dundee goal the other night was Ridvan's fault and he escapes all criticism.
He got absolutely slaughtered for it on the match thread. Similarly Lundstram was at fault for both of ours last weekend and fans don’t want to see him again. The difference in the reaction to the two is that Lundstram has done it so many times. If this time next season Yilmaz is still giving away stupid goals like that I and most other fans will want him gone, simple as!

If we still have Tav playing next season along with Gordon then we might as well start advertising the Managers job.
Add a new board also. The cull will need to start at the very top if Tavernier is still a Rangers player next season. As for this contract pish, there’s ways to end it, force him out on loan.

Butland, also Tav off of penalties. Need strikers with confidence and resale value.
If he’s still here, which I feel he will unfortunately, I’d have actually said it would be daft to take him off penalties. But that was until someone else pointed out his conversion rate for the season is 75% which is about the average, so yeah I wouldn’t be against letting a striker hit them. Would also make it 10 times harder for the guys who are more arsed about him than Rangers to justify him still starting every week and still captaining the side after all of this.

Bipolar support :)

If he’s still here, which I feel he will unfortunately, I’d have actually said it would be daft to take him off penalties. But that was until someone else pointed out his conversion rate for the season is 75% which is about the average, so yeah I wouldn’t be against letting a striker hit them. Would also make it 10 times harder for the guys who are more arsed about him than Rangers to justify him still starting every week and still captaining the side after all of this.

His PK conversion has been dropping, I think its now below average and every GK in the league has seen him hit x amount of penalties.

Back