Cardoso Champs League debut

I watched Porto last night and said to myself they must be surely now thinking of pulling the trigger on Morelos come January

Yet he's playing in the Champions League before any of the rest of our squad.
There’s fans who will be genuinely gutted he’s playing CL football before our boys because it doesn’t correlate with their unfounded opinion that he was always, and still is a diddy. You know plenty of people are too far up their own ring to ever hold their hands up and say their original take was wrong and a player has proven them wrong.

They got scudded by a side who’ve won the Premier League and CL in recent years, a side coached by a world class manager that contains world class talents like Salah and Manè, add to that at least a couple of the goals were a direct result of goalkeeping howlers. Even during our incredible unbeaten SPL season we were conceding 5 goals to Benfica and 3 goals to Slavia Prague in the second tier European competition, and ultimately Cordoso is playing for one of the best sides in a league that is much better than the SPL.

Cardoso was absolutely piss for Rangers, genuinely terrible.
Funny what some fans rememeber. You think he was terrible, like worse than Martin, Bates, or even the likes of Keirnan we have had in the past.
I saw a young Portuguese lad, who had talent and was learning his trade, playing abroad for the first time. It was never going to be a walk in the park, but i thought he did well in the circumstances.
He is more suited to the continental game, there is no question about that but I didnt think he was terrible.

If you told me the guy who looked like a competition winner — constantly getting done for pace and unable to keep a basic position — in Murty's 3-2 debacle would be playing UCL football in three years' time, I'd have thought you were insane.

Fair play to him for turning his career around.
I have blocked out the backing off from Edouard, can’t remember if it was him or Goss and to be honest, I don’t want to.

Funny what some fans rememeber. You think he was terrible, like worse than Martin, Bates, or even the likes of Keirnan we have had in the past.
I saw a young Portuguese lad, who had talent and was learning his trade, playing abroad for the first time. It was never going to be a walk in the park, but i thought he did well in the circumstances.
He is more suited to the continental game, there is no question about that but I didnt think he was terrible.
The beauty of the internet is things are there in type, I made no mention of Bates or Kiernan, I mean I literally didn't type a thing about them, so where you have got them from is just beyond me.

I am at a loss as to how you saw a player with talent to be honest, Cardoso was as culpable as any when we went out to Progress, he was slightly embarrassing to watch against Hibs at Ibrox, Simon Murray twisted his blood, when we drew at Partick he looked terrified, he was giving away fouls all over the place, again, not seeing a player with talent. He was dreadful when they beat us 2-0 and couldn't clear the ball properly or track his man. The League Cup Semi, the incident where he broke his nose gave him a pass to be honest, he was being man handled and bullied before that.

And while I didn't mention them before, I will now, his display in the 3-2 against Celtic was every bit as bad as what the likes of Bates and Kiernan produced despite hardly being on the park.

Cardoso has done incredibly well for himself, but he didn't look a talent with a high ceiling while with us.

Last edited:
The beauty of the internet is things are there in type, I made no mention of Bates or Kiernan, I mean I literally didn't type a thing about them, so where you have got them from is just beyond me.

I am at a loss as to how you saw a player with talent to be honest, Cardoso was as culpable as any when we went out to Progress, he was slightly embarrassing to watch against Hibs at Ibrox, Simon Murray twisted his blood, when we drew at Partick he looked terrified, he was giving away fouls all over the place, again, not seeing a player with talent. He was dreadful when they beat us 2-0 and couldn't clear the ball properly or track his man. The League Cup Semi, the incident where he broke his nose gave him a pass to be honest, he was being man handled and bullied before that.

And while I didn't mention them before, I will now, his display in the 3-2 against Celtic was every bit as bad as what the likes of Bates and Kiernan produced despite hardly being on the park.

Cardoso has done incredibly well for himself, but he didn't look a talent with a high ceiling while with us.
This is a forum mate, where we discuss things. The inclusion of the word "like," means I was referring to Bates , Martin and keirnan to be other defenders I thought were pretty poor.
I comparison to Cardoso I think they were much worse.
Thankfully you are not in charge of scouting, but I did see a player, and one who could improve, certainly not under Murty but maybe if Gerrrard had kept him he would have progressed.
I still say he was suited to the Italian / Portuguese game, but thats not to say he couldnt have in time got used to the Scottish game.
How you can say a guy getting a broken nose gives him a pass.. well I shrug my shoulders sometimes at other supporters on here. The motherwell player was a thug who shouldnt be playing professional football.

This is a forum mate, where we discuss things. The inclusion of the word "like," means I was referring to Bates , Martin and keirnan to be other defenders I thought were pretty poor.
I comparison to Cardoso I think they were much worse.
Thankfully you are not in charge of scouting, but I did see a player, and one who could improve, certainly not under Murty but maybe if Gerrrard had kept him he would have progressed.
I still say he was suited to the Italian / Portuguese game, but thats not to say he couldnt have in time got used to the Scottish game.
How you can say a guy getting a broken nose gives him a pass.. well I shrug my shoulders sometimes at other supporters on here. The motherwell player was a thug who shouldnt be playing professional football.

I can discuss players in isolation without having to make reference to others, the performance of Kiernan, someone signed for about 200k while we were in the Scottish Championship v that of Cardoso a player we spent a decent chunk of money on is redundant to me, he should have been better than the likes of Kiernan and David Bates, what a turgid water mark to set. He was added in a completely different context to either of those players.

It's not that complicated, he had been poor up to that incident, it was another in a list of poor performances from him, and many when looking back at that game will make mention of that incident first rather than what had gone before.

I have never made any claim about being in charge of scouting, what a weird thing to type, "it is a forum where people discuss things" right? not a job application to become head of our scouting department.

It's not that complicated, he had been poor up to that incident, it was another in a list of poor performances from him, and many when looking back at that game will make mention of that incident first rather than what had gone before.

I have never made any claim about being in charge of scouting, what a weird thing to type, "it is a forum where people discuss things" right? not a job application to become head of our scouting department.
My point is you can't spot talent, I will leave it there.
You have your view of Fabio, I have mine.

My point is you can't spot talent, I will leave it there.
You have your view of Fabio, I have mine.

I haven't made the claim to be able to "spot talent" I am assessing the performance of Cardoso while at Rangers and have made quite a few references to show he wasn't good while with us, can you say what in particular it was made you think he was going to be good while with us, games, incidents etc, because he was at fault for a lot while with us.

It isn't entirely out of the question his complete failure while with us is what made him go back home and reinvent himself, it isn't like he simply stepped into a CL side instantly upon departure.

Meanwhile our players can only dream of Champions League football.

We were pumped home and away by a team of IKEA furniture packers who got pumped at home by Juventus, let’s see how they do tonight away to Zenit this evening.

Meanwhile our players can only dream of Champions League football.

We were pumped home and away by a team of IKEA furniture packers who got pumped at home by Juventus, let’s see how they do tonight away to Zenit this evening.

Is this what Swedish people are referred to now and I've missed the memo?

Is this what Swedish people are referred to now and I've missed the memo?

yeah, anytime we get beat by European minnows they are referred to as fisherman, waiters the like, what ever that country is famous for.

I’ll be sure to cc you in the next one, any preference of coloured paper.

yeah, anytime we get beat by European minnows they are referred to as fisherman, waiters the like, what ever that country is famous for.

I’ll be sure to cc you in the next one, any preference of coloured paper.

Thought that was what you were getting at.

Kaunas = minnows.

Progres = minnows.

Malmo = bang average side, but not minnows.

Hope this helps.

Seem to remember the mhedia though it was rather comical that that arsehole Motherwell player thought it was funny breaking a fellow professionals nose

Does he not play in the same Indian team as Greg Stewart?

If you told me the guy who looked like a competition winner — constantly getting done for pace and unable to keep a basic position — in Murty's 3-2 debacle would be playing UCL football in three years' time, I'd have thought you were insane.

Fair play to him for turning his career around.

Yep, credit where credit is due, he's done very well.

Was physically weak and positionally poor when he played with us.

Was regularly beaten on the deck and in the air by pretty ordinary strikers.

Nice enough lad though and I'm glad he's doing better now.

There was always a player in there, wrong team, wrong time for the lad. Not sure he was tough enough for our league either.

That can happen.

From what I saw they are more a Europa League side.
Although considering yesterday’s result, they may struggle in the Conference!
Porto are comfortably a CL knock out side, they’ve made CL knock out 5 out of the last 6 seasons and got to the quarters 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

Tough group this season though, they may struggle to even get into the Europa League from their group.

Back