Article Carl Hansen - a Rangers and Danish hero

Chap was so unlucky with injury and to be up against Geordie Henderson for the number nine jersey. Still made a solid contribution and loved a goal against Celtic too!

My Dad used to refer to 'The dancing' as the Carl Hansen. Govan rhyming slang.
I read this in a book called In A Marmalade Saloon by Patrick O'Connor about an Ardrossan childhood.
The title was a misremembered poem by Robert Service called, The Shooting of Dan McGrew which happens in the 'Mamalute Saloon.'

Carl Hansen
Eric Caldow
Jim Baxter
Terry Butcher
Iain Durrant
Ally McCoist
Michael Mols

All leg injuries that diminished their Rangers careers. Durrant's being a different episode.

There's probably more.
Could argue that the leg break suffered by Baxter cost us the European Cup in 64/65.

Last edited:
I know I have posted this photo before in another thread about Skoma'r but it is maybe new to a few people. This is from the 1922 tour when he scored twice against the Copenhagen select.

He should be in the photo but I cannot identify him. If anyone knows who is who, that would be really interesting.

Is that not Carl Hansen to Bill Struth’s left hand side (below the sign OST)?

Similar to another poster, my grandfather said Carl Hansen was one of the finest players he saw in a Rangers jersey. High praise from a man who saw all the great Rangers players from after the First World War to his death in the 1970’s.

Is that not Carl Hansen to Bill Struth’s left hand side (below the sign OST)?

Similar to another poster, my grandfather said Carl Hansen was one of the finest players he saw in a Rangers jersey. High praise from a man who saw all the great Rangers players from after the First World War to his death in the 1970’s.

That was my first thought as well but zooming in, I could not detect the famous gap between his two top front teeth. You may well be right though.

That's quite superb. What is even more superb - the poster @hellofollow hand delivered both books to me today and my next project is translating both books and making them free for Bears in English.

@hellofollow - top man. Scanning is underway!
This is brilliant, @LongLostSon! So many excellent books published in that era that are extremely rare but a great read. Doing this is a great idea!

That's quite superb. What is even more superb - the poster @hellofollow hand delivered both books to me today and my next project is translating both books and making them free for Bears in English.

@hellofollow - top man. Scanning is underway!
Update on progress. I have finished the 1st draft translation of Carl Hansen's first book "I Tysk Fængsel" (In German Prison) - thanks to @hellofollow for providing the book!

I need to proof read and make the obvious changes, I have a Danish guy that is going to review also.

Then I'll create the eBook and probably stick it on Heart and Hand and Amazon - not entirely sure how to create the eBook, but that's the next set of learnings!!

I'll say this - the book is pretty harrowing and Carl Hansen's treatment by the Nazis (having committed no crime) was sickening.

Update on progress. I have finished the 1st draft translation of Carl Hansen's first book "I Tysk Fængsel" (In German Prison) - thanks to @hellofollow for providing the book!

I need to proof read and make the obvious changes, I have a Danish guy that is going to review also.

Then I'll create the eBook and probably stick it on Heart and Hand and Amazon - not entirely sure how to create the eBook, but that's the next set of learnings!!

I'll say this - the book is pretty harrowing and Carl Hansen's treatment by the Nazis (having committed no crime) was sickening.
Great work, Sir.

Chap was so unlucky with injury and to be up against Geordie Henderson for the number nine jersey. Still made a solid contribution and loved a goal against Celtic too!

The first foreigner to score for Rangers against the yahoos, I believe.

According to my granda, he was a great footballer.

Great stuff mate. Can't wait to to read them both.

Really looking forward to this, @LongLostSon.

Looking forward to reading this mate.

Fantastic work

Back