"Celtic shouldn't have to play European qualifiers"

Just have 16 Groups of 4 with the top 34 coefficient Champions in and the other 30 split between the rest with a max of 3 qualifiers per Country. Group Winners only go through to a knockout last 16.

Never happen and it's sad how much Football revolves around UEFA now.

Scottish football only has itself to blame for shite qualifiers. We should be in the top 10, but we are not because they tried to destroy us. We will eventually get back there but the damage has already been done.

The two teams who contested the "Champions League" final last season have not won the current form of their domestic league.

Thats what we are up against.

I think they're spot on, Celtic should not have to qualify to play in the Champions League as they are champions. End of fucking story.

So if you’re the champions of, say, San Marino you should get an automatic place in the group stage?

I’m sure you wouldn’t argue that. Therefore, there has to be a cut off point.

How about - the top x number of national champions get in automatically, whilst the remaining number of national champions have anything from one to four qualifying ties to negotiate. And how about we determine what nations’ champions get the automatic spots by having a co-efficient system for the national leagues.

Well hey presto, this is exactly the system we have now. And Scotland does not have a divine right to always be one of the nations whose champions waltz straight in to the group stage. We have such a lowly co-efficient due to the poor performance of our clubs, including ourselves.

If Celtic don’t qualify for the group stage then they can save their tears - if you don’t make it you don’t deserve to be there. Same with us with the Europa League.

You either win or lose in sport. If another team are better than you and knock you out then too bad.
Well this isn't the system, as numerous leagues get more than 1 team in, including 4 leagues which take up half the automatic slots.

I agree that coefficient is the best way to do it, but having the system 'rigged' in favour of the top 4/5 leagues in Europe's is not a fair system IMO

Well this isn't the system, as numerous leagues get more than 1 team in, including 4 leagues which take up half the automatic slots.

I agree that coefficient is the best way to do it, but having the system 'rigged' in favour of the top 4/5 leagues in Europe's is not a fair system IMO

I agree that no nation should get more than one automatic spot.

In addition, I would make the qualifiers a random draw. So if Liverpool and Spurs get drawn against each other in a CL qualifier then so be it.

The SPL in 2012 had two Champions league places and teams entering in the 3rd round of the qualifiers then Rangers get voted out......

Fast forward 7 years and it’s one place and 4 rounds of qualifiers for the SPFL winners.

Scottish football cut off its nose to spite its face so for the yahoos and Scottish press complaining about having to play these extra games is rather ironic.

The shoe will never be on the other foot though.

We'll never see clearly Rangers supporting jounalists given licence to write articles which wouldn't look out of place in a club magazine

Neil Cameron is an utter fucknugget. Imagine the uproar if a Rangers supporting journalist penned an article claiming most Celtic fans are happy to look around and not see the usual Catholic support around them.

I'm a big believer that the champions of their league should be in the champions league.

That said, under current rules, it's madness to say they shouldn't have to play qualifiers.

They've qualified twice in the last 6 attempts, and in those cases finished 3rd and 4th in the group.

Nothing about that kind of performance justifies a claim for getting straight to the group.

In an ideal world the champions wouldn’t have to.
However the amount of qualifiers they’re having to go through is a joke. Even Ajax ffs

He doesn't actually say that though, does he?

"Not for a moment am I suggesting Celtic ought to be parachuted straight to the group stages, and I'm not even suggesting they go straight into the play off"

Not sure what people are trying to achieve here. I agree with him, too many qualifiers for Rangers in europa, too many qualifiers for them in the CL. When we are there I will feel the exact same way.

Get a grip.
This isn’t obsession.
This is simply watching what the enemies are rip to.
What is today’s throwaway comment will become a policy debate soon enough.
Then a proposal.
However you keep fiddling away.
I'd welcome a ban on discussing Celtic or at least keeping it contained to a single thread which I can avoid going in. Every second comment is about them now its sickening. As for keeping an eye on what our enemies are up to - Is your sense of victimhood that strong that you now equate SPL winner to Celtic? What's good for the league winner is good for us, potential champions in waiting.

I actually agree , although maybe for different reasons.
The champions of Scotland should play in the Champions league.

He doesn't actually say that though, does he?

"Not for a moment am I suggesting Celtic ought to be parachuted straight to the group stages, and I'm not even suggesting they go straight into the play off"

Not sure what people are trying to achieve here. I agree with him, too many qualifiers for Rangers in europa, too many qualifiers for them in the CL. When we are there I will feel the exact same way.
The reason we have to play 4 qualifiers is because the co-efficient is in the gutter. People like Cameron couldn't have cared less about this when they booted us down to division 3. They will just have to suck it up.

So if you’re the champions of, say, San Marino you should get an automatic place in the group stage?

I’m sure you wouldn’t argue that. Therefore, there has to be a cut off point.

How about - the top x number of national champions get in automatically, whilst the remaining number of national champions have anything from one to four qualifying ties to negotiate. And how about we determine what nations’ champions get the automatic spots by having a co-efficient system for the national leagues.

Well hey presto, this is exactly the system we have now. And Scotland does not have a divine right to always be one of the nations whose champions waltz straight in to the group stage. We have such a lowly co-efficient due to the poor performance of our clubs, including ourselves.

If Celtic don’t qualify for the group stage then they can save their tears - if you don’t make it you don’t deserve to be there. Same with us with the Europa League.

You either win or lose in sport. If another team are better than you and knock you out then too bad.

There is still something inherently wrong about a ‘Champions’ league where a fourth placed team gets an automated place because of the country they come from.

UEFA want the same clubs in it year on year. Driven solely by greed.

Based on a victory over a team who's ground holds just over 600 and looks like a Scottish Junior teams venue?
Celtic have proved season after season they are no where near CL standard. They get rag dolled by the big boys time and time again.
I know its tough guys but FFS keep it real.
Moronic brain dead mentally challenged media.

You're right we rag dolled them the last twice we played them

Pretty interesting that quite a few in the media described Rangers oponents "poor opposition" when we played St Jo's, strange how this team the unwashed have played were utter shite and never even troubled them and yet not one mention of "poor opposition".

He didn’t actually say they didn’t need to play qualifiers though did he. Don’t read that much into a headline. He said they shouldn’t be playing 8 games in qualification. He’s right; in my opinion both us and then should play 2 qualifiers max. Embarrassing we are in this position just because rubbish like Aberdeen always shite the bed in Europe.

It's just Math Neil. If you have two clubs who regularly earn points towards an improved co-efficient and you boot one of those teams down to the bottom league, the one remaining team probably won't be able to withstand the same pace to keep the countries ranking.

If you want to have a moan, call up the SPL, SFA and Aberdeen.

I'd welcome a ban on discussing Celtic or at least keeping it contained to a single thread which I can avoid going in. Every second comment is about them now its sickening. As for keeping an eye on what our enemies are up to - Is your sense of victimhood that strong that you now equate SPL winner to Celtic? What's good for the league winner is good for us, potential champions in waiting.
Ridiculous assertion.

Absolutely 100% correct,they should have no need to play qualifiers....THEY SHOULD BE KICKED OUT FOR THEIR SEX CRIMES

They shouldn't, if you win the league you should get an automatic place.

Exactly.

I'm on the fence with Cameron. He hates Haggerty and he hates ill Phil. That rises him above the bottom of their pond for me. However didnt he do some weird thing about the CSA at the sty? I also know a few bears in real life that know him through various things and say he is not rabid at all.

On the point of the qualifiers, I agree. If we win the league next year we will be unseeded and have an absolute mare trying to get into the CL. Would love to see it go back to just being champions. It's lost its soul for me.

If they don’t win them all UEFA have been proven right mate. No ?
No, it’s the Champions league not the fourth place league, I can remember we got knocked out a few years ago and an English team went into the group stages never having won the league infact it was their debut in European football

There is still something inherently wrong about a ‘Champions’ league where a fourth placed team gets an automated place because of the country they come from.

Not driven by getting good competitive football matches mate ?

This mob get fucked consistently & even struggle to compete in the EL ?

How can they market a shite standard of football & get massive advertising money ?

No, it’s the Champions league not the fourth place league, I can remember we got knocked out a few years ago and an English team went into the group stages never having won the league infact it was their debut in European football

I just think it’s all about money these days TT.

And their only way to get that money is to have good quality competitive matches. That will rarely involve that lot.

It’s driven by the kind of clubs the mass audience wants to see. The number of places is based on performance by country. It’s not automatic that England and Spain say, have four but the money in those leagues makes it harder for other countries to compete. Italy lost its fourth CL place. But for Juventus, their coefficient would be much lower.

It’s wrong the way it is at the moment as it will soon be impossible for teams from outside the big 5 tv countries

I know mate. I do agree with you.

But if you think back this was done to ward off all of the big leagues fucking off.

To me personally, I loved that last year we didn’t just qualify for the EL but we competed in every single game we played, only losing two & by one goal each time. In fact, to me we were robbed in Moscow with the Morelos offside.

I guess I’m saying that when we get back there I want us to be able to compete like we did last year in the EL. To do that we should be able to comfortably beat these wee Estonian & Norwegian teams etc in qualifying.

Putting aside my hatred of all things paedophiley and 19th Century Terroristy for one moment, I think all countries champions should go straight into expanded group stages, to the detriment of 2nd placed vice "champions" getting straight in

Back