Match Thread Celtic v Rangers - 12:30 Saturday - Sky Sports

Lundstram & Diomande v McGregor, Hatate & O'Reilly.

How hard is it to realise the midfield is where these games are usually won?

Lundstram dropping in between the CB's leaves Diomande isolated v their 3.

Gerrard recognised these games were won in the middle and hardly ever lost v them. Fucking worrying Clement doesn't seem to have yet for the 3rd time in a row.
I'd agree. We are neglecting midfield again and our players attitudes aren't big enough for the fight never mind underselling ourselves in midfield to begin with. They wont impose themselves. Weird show with the wean sounds the better option

As Sir Humphry would tell his Minister, that line-up is a brave decision by Clement.
It’s far from it. He’s played it safe knowing that he can’t be blamed for this season and it will be entirely due to the losers he has inherited.

What’s the alternative though? Bring Sterling in mid and risk another part of the pitch? Bring Raskin in that hasn’t kicked a ball?

Every option carries major risk, it’s the state the squad is in.
Absolutely.

Centre of midfield is the top priority in these games. We’ve had Andy Little fill in at right back and beaten them before.

If the midfield is for for purpose you can play no one up front and still get chances in this fixture.

Gerrard recognised these games were won in the middle and hardly ever lost v them. Fucking worrying Clement doesn't seem to have yet for the 3rd time in a row.

It’s the third game in a row he’s not learned one thing.

The entire left side is a cause for concern. I fear Barisic and Silva just wither. Lawrence was overrun last time and anonymous, only hope is that was due to fitness and he's come on since then, but I have doubts. Sterling is badly needed in the centre. Think he would also help Diomande settle, I fear he's not ready to run an OF game yet without extra support. Would rather have Sterling central and McCausland or even Wright up against Taylor. Praying Davies and Souttar hold the defence together.

Not optimistic. But it's over to the team, do or die time. Fucking into them Rangers.

It always seems mcgregor has a free role in the middle of the pitch to dictate play with nobody near him.

lets just hope we are switched on from the 1st whistle and please dont gift them their usual goals against us

Looking at the squad of available players as a whole today, I’m not really sure what he could/should have done differently. Ridvan plays if he’s 100% fit but he clearly isn’t. The only change you would realistically make is Cantwell in for Lawrence, but they are both much of a muchness in terms of what they bring.
I’d start a 50% Ridvan over barasic who is a passenger and will cost us today as he always does

It’s far from it. He’s played it safe knowing that he can’t be blamed for this season and it will be entirely due to the losers he has inherited.

Rightly or wrongly, if Clement gets today wrong and loses the final then you're kidding yourself if you think he gets to go into next season with a clean slate and no questions about his ability to beat Celtic.

Raskin would've been in the middle for me if Sterling 'needs' to be play wide right.

I get he's been poor this season but he can at least run and match the energy of their midfield.

There’s no proof at all that Raskin to match the energy, he’s not been near the pitch.

Which is exactly my point – folk are acting as if there’s an obvious alternative to the lineup when that isn’t the case.

It’s shite A, shite B, or shite C.

Midfield two against their 3 gives me the fear. Why do none of our managers realise this. Guaranteed Walter would of matched up 3 Vs 3

Tell ye what if we get pumped today then Clement has to take the responsibility for that,he has picked this line up and for me it's the wrong one Again!

Like many, I was hoping for a change in fornation to compete with their midfield three, which is their strongest area, instead it’s sticking with the same previously failed set up. Lundstram and Lawrence don’t have the legs to compete in there, and Sterling is wasted out on the right, probably his most ineffective position.

It’s normally the hope that kills you but that team has killed my hope stone dead. Should at least make me more calm watching it. Managers dropping cantwell again is madness. Cantwell energy and legs are important here regardless of how he might lose his shape.

Ridvan should be starting simple as that,if BB has a nightmare PC will rightly be slaughtered,let's hope we can turn the fckers over

We don’t know how this team are going to play, I don’t think they know. Could be dynamite, could be rubbish, could even be both! They’re an enigma when predicting form. Let’s just hope we have some luck too and leave with three points.

FbwuUz8.png

Here's what it should have been

Dessers and Silva up front pressuring their cb's at every opportunity.

Lawrence sitting on McGregor.

Sterling Dio and Lundstram a tight midfield 3 hustling and harrying.

Ridvan should have been risked, if he's fit enough to be on the bench and come on last week he's fit enough to start

Changing nothing and playing the 4-2-3-1 again with round pegs in square holes will end in the same result, it's that Einstein quote about insanity.

I fear the usual overran in midfield and getting pressed all over the park without doing the same back to them.

That centre of defence is a disaster waiting to happen.

I await the "we'll learn from this" before the SCF after allowing them to run all over us.

Go out there and prove me wrong Rangers.

Don’t understand why people are having a go at the manager. It was always going to be one of Cantwell or Lawrence and the latter has been decent of late.

And as much as Sterling would be good in midfield, we know Maeda has roasted Tav often enough that he needs the support. Nobody else would offer that. It’s going into a gunfight with a water pistol and if we somehow won it would be a managerial feat and a half

Ridvan should be starting simple as that,if BB has a nightmare PC will rightly be slaughtered,let's hope we can turn the fckers over

He’s clearly not fit enough for more than a cameo, otherwise he would have started.

But I still reckon we throw him on at half time if the first half ends up like recent first halves there

Borna was the main name I was most dreading to see on the team line-up. Another guaranteed piggery shitbag performance from him coming up.

Team is honking if we're being honest. Severely lacks any pace, width or bite. Defence is about as weak as we could have ever feared for a game like this. Apart from all that I'm very confident.

How do you know Sterling isn't midfield with Silva and Dessers upfront and Lawrence in behind them?
That is how I would start - to get a foothold in the game.

Then can change formation without having to change personnel.

Back