Match Thread Celtic v Rangers - 12:30 Saturday - Sky Sports

I know I'm probably reading too much into it but watching the footage of the team arriving I thought they just looked really nervous.

Need to see this opening half an hour out, withstand the inevitable pressure and try and grow into the game. They are vulnerable when pressured especially from wide areas so let's hope Tav or Borna can make something happen.

Everyone except the manager can see we need legs and energy in midfield

If he really wanted to keep Sterling wide right then why not throw Raskin in over Lawrence for some energy? Push Diomande in front of Raskin and Lundstram
Mate, it’s blindingly obvious what is going to happen. It is incompetence frankly to decide to ignore all evidence and go with a formation that doesn’t work and will never work.

Starting the game with three players ( at least) who won't be here next season. Anything today is a victory for hope over expectation.

I hope I'm totally wrong, but I just don't see that team taking this game by storm. Looks like the plan is to hang on, hope we don't concede and try and nick it at the end.
I am no scholar of the game and am not privy to Clements deepest strategy but I am 100% sure that is not the plan.
I think we will stick with the tried and tested lose an early goal, let them run over us in the first half but fail to build on their lead. Battle back in the 2nd half, convert a stonewall penalty that will be deemed controversial by the mhedia and finish with a draw.

Big Phil should just start a poll on here to clarify his best team and formation for these games. Saying that, he would still get haters. Let's get into this mob and show them for what they are.

I was hoping for a little more pragmatism from Clement. Rather than be wedded to a set-up, maybe adapt to the players he does have available.

It’s hard to see how this game will pan out differently. I guess he’s hoping that this time there will be no individual errors and we’re level going into the 2nd half.

I really don't know what people here expect, we are missing over half a dozen players, therefore Clement's options are limited. Attitude is more important than tactics and lineups in big games more often than not. Our players have to believe in themselves.

The same midfield that got overran last time, and Barisic starting. I hope Clement knows this is on him if it goes tits up today.

I know I'm probably reading too much into it but watching the footage of the team arriving I thought they just looked really nervous.

Need to see this opening half an hour out, withstand the inevitable pressure and try and grow into the game. They are vulnerable when pressured especially from wide areas so let's hope Tav or Borna can make something happen.
I mean they have to go to their dump and win the game. That's pressure we've seen they can't handle. I'm surprised you think they look nervous.

Don’t think anyone is expecting him to drop the captain ffs.

But I was expecting to match them with 3 in middle. I was expecting legs (cantwell) not laziness (Lawrence). I was expecting Sterling in the middle where he can really take control. I was expecting silva on the bench so I didn’t have to see him doing stupid shit all game.

Cantwell has been very poor recently and was terrible at their midden.

Lawrence is at least a threat with his shooting.

General Melchett:
Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Captain Blackadder:
Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?

Captain Darling:
How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!

Captain Blackadder:
It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.

General Melchett:
Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!

I really don't know what people here expect, we are missing over half a dozen players, therefore Clement's options are limited. Attitude is more important than tactics and lineups in big games more often than not. Our players have to believe in themselves.
I agree - blame lies at the door or some who have left the club now and board who sanctioned an unbelievably bad transfer window last season.

Expectations are low, we're going to need a miracle here, hopefully we can keep it at 0-0 till half time, maybe a miracle that we get a big decision our way and a lucky break to hold on to

Lundstram's pre-match was all about weathering their fast start and defending well for the first 20 or so. They'll surely know themselves this is a bad plan that has failed in the past, they're being told to go out and counteract celtc's game, not go out and impose our own.

Was going to go to the pub but don't want to be getting the bus back if we get humped. That and I'll have saved a few bob on bevy.

We played well in games under Gerrard with a solid midfield three of Davis, Jack and Kamara. We’ve the players available to do something similar yet we persist with Sterling on the wing.

We’ve done far better each time Lawrence has come on for Cantwell compared to visa versa. Lawrence likes a shot and those chances are more frequent when the game has opened up.

Back