Match Thread Celtic v Rangers - 12:30 Saturday - Sky Sports

Is it odd*? that before the last game all the headlines were all about the match officials, especially the referee.
This time, not a mention about any of them.

*No it isn't odd, why should they try to put pressure on people they know they have in their pockets?

I am trying my best to be laid back and easy going, but I know that by the full time whistle, I know I will have a furious temper .

Expectations are low, we're going to need a miracle here, hopefully we can keep it at 0-0 till half time, maybe a miracle that we get a big decision our way and a lucky break to hold on to
Every game this season we could’ve beaten them if we had that bit of luck or got a shot away sooner. It’ll be tough but we are more than capable of doing this

I'd have played a proper 4 in the middle of the park so that we don't lose the midfield, again!

I'd have went Roofe and Dessers up top.

I'd go to win not draw, which this selection and formation is suggesting we are doing.

I hope that I'm worrying for no reason and the team play out their skins
Mate, I get your line up and that makes good sense to me.
I'm often too forgiving of Rangers managers and too ready to defend their actions regardless.
Still, here we fkng go and No Surrender:)).

Barisic hasn't completed a full 90 minutes since the LCF in December.
He's started only eight games since and been subbed off every time.
He won't last this game I bet.
It's a sad day when one of your subs has to always be your left back.

That midfield has ruined me, gone with 2 again,Lawrence will be anonymous.

We have seen it all before they will Iver run us first 20 minutes probably be a couple up by half time. Tire 2nd half we get 1 back huff and puff but ultimately lose.

Roofe is still the best striker at the club, like it or not

Unfortunately in his appearances lately he's rarely touched the ball if at all.
The only way he'll score now is if the ball drops to him from a corner or freekick.
I'll take that back if he comes off the bench and hits one in the top corner from 20 yards.

General Melchett:
Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Captain Blackadder:
Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?

Captain Darling:
How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!

Captain Blackadder:
It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.

General Melchett:
Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!

Exactly what came to my mind also.

Heard this said hundreds of times recently. Like this statement, without a shred of evidence.

He’s apparently been fit since December, but hasn’t scored in 2024.
I like Roofe and I'm probably wrong here, but part of me feels as if he has no interest in playing and slight knocks become months out.

Diomande playing seems to push Lundstram forward rather than him marking the penalty box, almost like a trust issue or something. Hopefully the same today and have a bit of presence in midfield

We all know how this is going to go today expecting the usual brainfart in the first 10 mins and probably about the 30 min mark.

Don’t think anyone is expecting him to drop the captain ffs.

But I was expecting to match them with 3 in middle. I was expecting legs (cantwell) not laziness (Lawrence). I was expecting Sterling in the middle where he can really take control. I was expecting silva on the bench so I didn’t have to see him doing stupid shit all game.
Sterling needs to play on the right because the captain can’t defend. As I said he can’t drop the captain at this stage but it does mean that the team is set up more for him than actually winning the game.

It’s not Real Madrid we’re playing FFS, some posters shouldn’t bother watching if they wetting their frillies already

This mob are rotten, nothing daft in the first 15 mins and we can win this

Clement clearly hasn’t learned a thing from previous 2 old firm games unless there is a change in shape and Sterling is playing CM but starting Lawrence is baffling. Leaving out Ridvan is also mental even if he isn’t 100%. This is a must win game, start him and if he needs to come off then fair enough.

Deserves every bit of criticism that comes his way if we lose today.

Wouldn’t have started Lawrence - he was a completely ineffective in the last OF game. Peach of a goal last week but I don’t think his selection is justified. Would have stuck Sterling in midfield. We need strength and legs in there.

So what is our game plan today then? We're giving up the midfield to sit in and hit on the counter but with zero pace how are we doing that?

We're not planning on controlling the midfield with who we've picked. We don't have the defence to sit in and grab a 1-0 with a set peice.

Can some of the more tactical people explain what the plan is going to be then?

We’re all on about the midfield, that defence is even more worrying,
plus Davies, Barisic and Silva all on the one side of the pitch :oops:

Back