Match Thread Celtic v Rangers - 12:30 Saturday - Sky Sports

If we had beaten Motherwell, Ross and Dundee this game today would have been so different. I know it’s all ifs but those games when the title was in the grasp were absolutely disgraceful. Imagine letting those poor teams boss us. It’s sickening, a great chance to beat a very average scum team. We just don’t seem to want to fight.
Couldn't agree more - 1 point from 9 from these games at such a crucial point in the season was beyond shameful - the performances were absolutely horrendous.

We should have taken all 9 points - we've gifted it to them.

There were times today, even with 11 men, when we just let them come forwards with the ball, nearly to our own box.

Meanwhile I'm sitting watching this, wondering when the actual f*** will somebody step in and close them down, or even effing tackle for the ball.

This is a coaching problem imo.
Even if you had world class players, if they are being coached to drop back and back and back, then you're letting the opposition play to whatever strengths or plan that they want to.
Look at the times we closed Scales down especially. Panic and ball played out the park but sadly we didn’t do it nearly enough

Even with the "pressure" we had at the end of the game, I never thought we were going to score - we just didn't have the quality to trouble them & McCausland failing to shoot & Wright trying a stupid slide pass to Roofe summed it up.

There was a ball played in towards Wright
Any intelligent player would try to nip infront of the defender, maybe get the ball first or even draw a pen

Wright ran behind him
Severe lack of intelligence across the squad

The usual suspects

The gaffer has serious questions to answer btw, Yilmaz looked tremendous and should have started

Sterling is everything a Rangers player should be, puts the imposters to shame. We simply MUST make him feel an integral part of the team going forward. Butland and Sterling….the first names on every team sheet
Yes. Numbers one and two.
Tav is done - was he even on the park second half?

Cantwell is done here as long as Clement is manager I think.

Proper clash of personalities type scenario.
In that case it’s poor management, he would have been a better sub than Wright or Roofe, or even McCausland, the managers first thought should be “who can win this game for us” not “he’s not getting on, I don’t like him”

Much as I have liked CP there is a major concern when Lundstram Borna and Lawrence start a game where we need pace and effort. Cantwell McCausland and Yilmaz should all have started.
We were outplayed by the better team who really should have scored more.
The only way Lundstram is missing a game is the red card.
Every time we play and in particular against the scum we lack intensity and effort and PC has to change that and also stop playing those who are easyily seen to be not good enough.
How can any manager keep playing Lundstram and Borna when they are clearly just not good enough. Despite being a player in the past Lawrence needs to go along with Dowall and if PC does not like him then Raskin also goes.
The league has gone and I expect also the cup unless the correct team is on the park.
They have a confidence going into these games for a reason. Partly what I think Rodgers was referring to when he talked about “ fun”. Clement did absolutely nothing from a formation and line-up point of view to change it. Again.

No wonder Rodgers is confident.

as bad as celtic are
we are a hell of a lot worse and it's time to wake up realise our squad are mediocre to say the least
it's going to cost a fortune to get rid of some of these losers and a fortune to replace them
we are in a real bad place just now while that mob are getting the riches of the champions league yet again, a huge overhaul of transfers yet again in the summer which we must get right

It's a punch in the guts to lose this way.

Undone by stupidity from our own players rather than by good play from the opposition players.

A defeat is easier to take when all our own players try their hardest and don't do anything stupid. Sometimes you just lose, it's football. But to lose this way after sheer stupidity just makes it worse.

The players are ultimately human. The same group have lost that many times now to Celtic that mentally they're beaten well before a ball is kicked. It will only change when fresh players without the scar tissue and baggage are brought in

Against what is a poor Celtic team we are simply just not good enough, the team had already thrown the league away with defeats to Motherwell, Ross County and draws with Dundee and them at home..

This group of players either just doesn’t care (going by performances) or just are not up to it..

I hate saying it again, but we need an almost total clear out this summer

We will probably lose the league by 6 points. They have taken 9 more on the head to head. That’s where the league was lost. PC is a last minute screamer away from having lost 3 games to them. If he loses the cup final too then the fan base is going to be very worried.
If you have any care for rangers your worried already.

The manager has unravelled massively in the last 6/8 weeks

No but Lundstrum played pretty much how we thought he would but PC played him anyway.
He’s not exactly awash with options though is he. Everyone would have picked Diomande and then your left with a combo of Raskin or Lundstram with a more attacking player
Personally I wouldn’t have had Lundstram on the pitch, and I’m sure there would have been uproar if he selected Raskin (although I thought he looked decent when he came on) but even by Lundstram’s usual mediocre performance this one takes the biscuit

Some of these players will be celebrating second place, think about that.

Lundstram should be told to collect his stuff tomorrow morning, it's obvious he hasn't been interested for weeks, and going into this stage of the season with that attitude will win you nothing. We deserve nothing.

Mentality shift from boardroom to players is needed at the club.

It's a punch in the guts to lose this way.

Undone by stupidity from our own players rather than by good play from the opposition players.

A defeat is easier to take when all our own players try their hardest and don't do anything stupid. Sometimes you just lose, it's football. But to lose this way after sheer stupidity just makes it worse.
Done it against them almost every game the last couple of seasons. Gifting them goals etc. Pathetic again.

If PC hadn't stepped in there would have been no title race today. Have a word with yourselves who think otherwise.
The service to Dessers today was shocking. Diomande and Lunny nightmare partnership. Same as Kamara and Davis a few seasons ago. How silva has been rated at 30m+ previously is astonishing. Even his half arsed effort looked like he was more interested in being fouled.

He’s had 40 games. He’s won 29, drawn 6 and lost 5.

One trophy where we didn’t have to face Celtic and a couple of good European results

Beales 43 games - W 31, drawn 4 , lost 8

Not much in it. Certainly not the difference that we read about in here about the disaster that was Beale vs the coming of the great one.

At least Beale beat Celtic.
This comparison with Bedle stuff makes no sense at all. Beale was on target to finish fifth, go out of Europe early and no way would he have won a cup. Likewise Beales previous season was another disaster not to mention Beale blew a fortune. Further back Beale was in freefall at QPR whilst Clement had been winning in Belgium and competing in France. Not to say PC has proven to be a genius but to compare him to Beale is a bit much taken in context.

Disappointing. Crazy from Lundstram, poor decision making and self belief from too many and all too late to realise we're better than them and go and attack.

Head the ball Silva, fucking volley it MacCausland. Jesus.

2-1 flatters them and we'll be a totally different beast next season. Go and win the cup final at least. Celtic are utter pish.
Utter pish we haven't beaten all season. Aye Right.

If PC hadn't stepped in there would have been no title race today. Have a word with yourselves who think otherwise.
The service to Dessers today was shocking. Diomande and Lunny nightmare partnership. Same as Kamara and Davis a few seasons ago. How silva has been rated at 30m+ previously is astonishing. Even his half arsed effort looked like he was more interested in being fouled.
I agree re Clement to a certain point then the apathy in Dingwall and Dens makes me question him and his ability to inspire.

Is this what we have become???
There seems to be a belief amongst some (younger ?) supporters that if we escape Parkhead without suffering a proper hiding then we've done well.
I think the team has been looking jaded for weeks now, the recurring injuries are discussed in the forum all the time and clearly something must be done about this, otherwise our title challenge will continue to fall away in the final stages of the season.
I'm confident our strongest eleven is a match for C*ltic's, but how often do we come close to being able to field our strongest team ?
I'm absolutely fed up with losing to them, frustrated both with the persistent absence of key players and the recurring lack of courage to have a right go at them, particularly at their place. We shouldn't have to accept the idea that defeat at Parkhead is inevitable, we must invest in the team, work hard and improve. Another couple of signings who can make the same impact as Dujon Sterling has in his debut season wouldn't go amiss.

There seems to be a belief amongst some (younger ?) supporters that if we escape Parkhead without suffering a proper hiding then we've done well.
I think the team has been looking jaded for weeks now, the recurring injuries are discussed in the forum all the time and clearly something must be done about this, otherwise our title challenge will continue to fall away in the final stages of the season.
I'm confident our strongest eleven is a match for C*ltic's, but how often do we come close to being able to field our strongest team ?
I'm absolutely fed up with losing to them, frustrated both with the persistent absence of key players and the recurring lack of courage to have a right go at them, particularly at their place. We shouldn't have to accept the idea that defeat at Parkhead is inevitable, we must invest in the team, work hard and improve. Another couple of signings who can make the same impact as Dujon Sterling has in his debut season wouldn't go amiss.
Key players like Jack, who chose playing for his country where fans hate him, over doing his best for Rangers. We don't have players who would run through a brick wall for the team.

Exactly. This nonsense of players taking weeks to come back, once back in the squad (and then still being injured all the time anyway) is clearly modern day coaching claptrap.

How much better were we when ridvan came on. A ducking criminal decision.

The Lawrence one was the same. Starling should have been in the middle.

I'm starting to change my opinion on him. His recent team selections have been worrying.
Not just recent mate, go way back to Aberdeen away or Limassol at Ibrox.
He got away with that as he was not long in the door, there's been zero excuses for the last few months though.
I don't think he's got one starting lineup right against that lot in 3 games either.

Today was not on Clement. He played the only m team available - no way he was going in to that game without JL and JT. Yilmaz and Raskin looked better than Barasic and Lawrence because the game had opened up and they had taken their foot off the gas

Next year is when it is on him

Aye and that had a lot to do with Lundstram. Midfield being outplayed in the first half.
He's been terrible for nearly all this season. Nowhere near fit enough but again, we basically have no-one else to play.
So blaming or having your faith dented in PC is not seeing the woods for the trees.
Playing a weak midfield 3 repeatedly against Celtic deserves criticism, regardless of the perceived lack of options.

He could’ve packed the midfield more, put Sterling in there or even experimented with Raskin after a poor run for Lunny. So I see perfectly fine thanks.

The only won by an own goal and we had ten men :cool:
Said in another post.

For all we've been well behind in the league, for all the injuries to big players like Danilo, Sima, Cortes, Roofe, Jack, Yilmaz and others, for all we've lost 3 and drawn 1 in old firms - dropping 11 points and giving them 10 - we are still only 6 points behind. Effectively today's result from being level on points.

We are behind in the league by fine margins and considering what we have had to put up with this season that is incredible in itself.

Last edited:
Back