Champions League Qualifiers - Details here

I think most, like me, won’t know too much about Union Saint-Gilloise - or, to give them their full name, Royale Union Saint-Gilloise. So I went looking. It’s quite a story.

Got promoted, via the play-offs, to the Belgian top flight in Summer 2021. Their first stint in the top flight in 48 years. Incredibly, they then finished at the top of the top flight at the end of the regular season.o_O Sadly, for them, the Belgian League has a play-off system/Championship Round in place and, at the end of the play-offs they finished second and thus go into the Champions League Qualifying Rounds.

Their ultras are knows as the Union Bhoys.:eek:

Tony Bloom, Chairman and majority owner of Brighton, also owns 75% of Union SG.

According to Wiki at least.

Their manager is off to Anderlecht to replace Kompany.

After last year, I’ll wait to see what happens before working myself up with ’great expectations’. Very disappointed we lost out to a team like Malmo. Even the Helsinki team nearly beat them, scoring 3 goals against them. It was laid on a plate for us and still we couldn’t even do it against Malmo’s 10 men at Ibrox. So, it is going to be difficult for us to get into the CL, no matter who we draw.

After last year, I’ll wait to see what happens before working myself up with ’great expectations’. Very disappointed we lost out to a team like Malmo. Even the Helsinki team nearly beat them, scoring 3 goals against them. It was laid on a plate for us and still we couldn’t even do it against Malmo’s 10 men at Ibrox. So, it is going to be difficult for us to get into the CL, no matter who we draw.
We were miles off the pace the way we started last season.
I would hope we won't do that again.

I always think playing Scandinavian teams is a bit of a banana skin in the qualifiers. On the one hand you're happy to get them rather than a 'bigger' name but the fact that they're already well into their league season at that point whereas we've only played 1 league match does add to the difficulty.

Back