Change in form

BigSteve

What has happened since we pumped the scum at neverland?

First half of the season we were the best team in the league. That result on 29th Dec put us in the driving seat.

Sure, we had some poor results and performances from Aug to Dec. But by and large we were the best team in Scotland.

Since we resumed after the Christmas break we have been chronic. Yes, only the Hearts and Aberdeen game did we finish with a poor result. However, I think we have had invariably bad performances in every game in 2020.

It‘s the same turgid junk every game. We don’t look like scoring or creating much outside set pieces and the occasional bit of good play. Look at today; that wasn’t a 4-1 game. Our performance did not merit a 4-1 win.

This doesn’t feel like the Rangers of the first half of the season. It feels like the Rangers if 1 or 2 season’s ago. We dominate possession, create little, are slow, ponderous, lack incision and look vulnerable at the back. If our next game was Braga or Celtic I would not be confident. If this was December I would have been very, very confident.

I haven’t enjoyed watching us in 2020. Every match is a nervous grind, hoping we can nick that vital goal. Hoping we can hold out. But not really expecting it based on the way the play develops.

Morelos is the best player in the country. By far. When he is on it. Yet we haven’t played in a way that allows him to demonstrate his best. He is largely ineffectual in and around the box.

And yet, it is the same team, the same players, the same manager, the same tactics. The first couple of games back I was unconcerned. The cup game saw us ring the changes. The second game was the first game for the first choice, they could be excused as being ring rusty after the break (although it’s concerning we had the same issue last season with that pivotal Killie game and that the pederasts don’t suffer from the same post break malaise). Add in that Tav and Morelos were missing initially.

But we have played several matches now, the key absentees are back (ok, Jack is missing now but we should be able to absorb one missing player) the excuses are gone.

Tav today still looked rusty. Twice in the first 15 minutes he controlled easy balls straight into touch. In fact, I think slack passes or first touches saw us turn over possession around 8 times in the first 15 or 16 minutes with Tav, Arfield, Goldson and more guilty.

As I said, the players, manager, tactics etc are largely unchanged. So why the enormous regression in our performances? It’s not just those dropped points at Hearts and Aberdeen that concern. It’s the lacklustre performances in every match.

Pretty good rant, but let’s just chill - it happens to most clubs, we just happen to be the most impatient fan base on the planet. As soon as we start moving the ball quickly from minute 1 the performances will follow.

Just having a dip. Our heads are still above water in the league and still in the cup. I believe in us and think we will find our form again.

What has happened since we pumped the scum at neverland?

First half of the season we were the best team in the league. That result on 29th Dec put us in the driving seat.

Sure, we had some poor results and performances from Aug to Dec. But by and large we were the best team in Scotland.

Since we resumed after the Christmas break we have been chronic. Yes, only the Hearts and Aberdeen game did we finish with a poor result. However, I think we have had invariably bad performances in every game in 2020.

It‘s the same turgid junk every game. We don’t look like scoring or creating much outside set pieces and the occasional bit of good play. Look at today; that wasn’t a 4-1 game. Our performance did not merit a 4-1 win.

This doesn’t feel like the Rangers of the first half of the season. It feels like the Rangers if 1 or 2 season’s ago. We dominate possession, create little, are slow, ponderous, lack incision and look vulnerable at the back. If our next game was Braga or Celtic I would not be confident. If this was December I would have been very, very confident.

I haven’t enjoyed watching us in 2020. Every match is a nervous grind, hoping we can nick that vital goal. Hoping we can hold out. But not really expecting it based on the way the play develops.

Morelos is the best player in the country. By far. When he is on it. Yet we haven’t played in a way that allows him to demonstrate his best. He is largely ineffectual in and around the box.

And yet, it is the same team, the same players, the same manager, the same tactics. The first couple of games back I was unconcerned. The cup game saw us ring the changes. The second game was the first game for the first choice, they could be excused as being ring rusty after the break (although it’s concerning we had the same issue last season with that pivotal Killie game and that the pederasts don’t suffer from the same post break malaise). Add in that Tav and Morelos were missing initially.

But we have played several matches now, the key absentees are back (ok, Jack is missing now but we should be able to absorb one missing player) the excuses are gone.

Tav today still looked rusty. Twice in the first 15 minutes he controlled easy balls straight into touch. In fact, I think slack passes or first touches saw us turn over possession around 8 times in the first 15 or 16 minutes with Tav, Arfield, Goldson and more guilty.

As I said, the players, manager, tactics etc are largely unchanged. So why the enormous regression in our performances? It’s not just those dropped points at Hearts and Aberdeen that concern. It’s the lacklustre performances in every match.
Think we are improving.

Pretty good rant, but let’s just chill - it happens to most clubs, we just happen to be the most impatient fan base on the planet. As soon as we start moving the ball quickly from minute 1 the performances will follow.
Its a genuine question though

Stranraer
St Mirren
Hearts (A)
County
Sheep
Hibs
Hamilton (A)

That’s more than just a wee blip.

That’s a concerning trend. With no clear explanatio. If we can identify the route cause we can turn it round. Right now it’s hard to see how we turn it around other than blind faith we’ll randomly rediscover form.

Anyone actually enjoy watching any of those performances listed above?

Its a genuine question though

Stranraer
St Mirren
Hearts (A)
County
Sheep
Hibs
Hamilton (A)

That’s more than just a wee blip.

That’s a concerning trend. With no clear explanatio. If we can identify the route cause we can turn it round. Right now it’s hard to see how we turn it around other than blind faith we’ll randomly rediscover form.

Anyone actually enjoy watching any of those performances listed above?

Not even the Barcelona team 09-12 played well every game. At the level we are at we will have these runs, but our last match and a half (factoring in today’s weather) we have been getting better.

Not even the Barcelona team 09-12 played well every game. At the level we are at we will have these runs, but our last match and a half (factoring in today’s weather) we have been getting better.

I think 7 consecutive games of sub standard performances negates the “you cant play well every game” argument.

This isn’t just Hearts, or Aberdeen.

Look at the post you quoted.

What do you expect to get from your massive post? The truth is there is no simple black and white answer as to why teams go through dips in form throughout a season. It has always and will always happen. We won 4-1 today just relax.

What do you expect to get from your massive post? The truth is there is no simple black and white answer as to why teams go through dips in form throughout a season. It has always and will always happen. We won 4-1 today just relax.

Some thoughts as to why the complete 180 in our form and quality? Because personally I’m at a loss and find it concerning.

But next time I’ll double check with you about word counts before posting or only use Twitter to converse with other bears. ;)

As one poster pointed out it wasnt just 1 or 2 games which is the worrying part but we just need to play our way out of it
Hibs & today was more encouraging but still a bit to go
Just go for teams & take our chances sounds easy but that is what we are not doing

Huge game on Wednesday now and especially if Borna is out. I would change shape if he is out and surprise Kilmarnock.

Probably a worthy rant...seems to me we’re certainly not moving the ball around as quickly as we did at the start and not pressing as quickly either. Seems like we’re trying to play the perfect pass and score the perfect goal. But hey I’m just a punter

Confidence is massive for footballers. Unfortunately our best players seem to be lacking in it at the moment. Players playing sideways or backwards rather that forward. Attacking players not running at defenders or failing to take a shot. All stems from the hearts performance and result for me.

I think 7 consecutive games of sub standard performances negates the “you cant play well every game” argument.

This isn’t just Hearts, or Aberdeen.

Look at the post you quoted.
Sub standard, fair do’s depending on your “standard”. But 5 or 6 of these games have been against 6/7 man defences. If you have ever played football at any level then you know it’s difficult. If we are still “sub-standard” after the next 4 games then yes there is a bigger worry.

Stranraer - Second string team. We won
St Mirren - No Alfie, No Tav, Still won
Hearts (A) - No Alfie, No Tav, shit performance we lost
County - No Alfie (cameo apart), No Tav, No Jack, still won
Sheep - No Tav, No Jack, cheating ref, drew
Hibs - No Jack, won despite a cheating ref
Hamilton (A) - won 4-1 on a plastic pitch.

The performances have been poor, but we have been missing some key players.

Sub standard, fair do’s depending on your “standard”. But 5 or 6 of these games have been against 6/7 man defences. If you have ever played football at any level then you know it’s difficult. If we are still “sub-standard” after the next 4 games then yes there is a bigger worry.

Honestly, for me a run of 7 poor performances is early enough to ask questions. Don’t need to wait for 11.

Stranraer - Second string team. We won
St Mirren - No Alfie, No Tav, Still won
Hearts (A) - No Alfie, No Tav, shit performance we lost
County - No Alfie (cameo apart), No Tav, No Jack, still won
Sheep - No Tav, No Jack, cheating ref, drew
Hibs - No Jack, won despite a cheating ref
Hamilton (A) - won 4-1 on a plastic pitch.

The performances have been poor, but we have been missing some key players.

Thanks for a considered and thought out response.

There are for sure some mitigating circumstances as you have highlighted. And yet, for most games we are only talking of missing 2, admittedly important players. I feel a league winning side can cope with missing 1 or 2 players. For the other 9 starters plus the stand ins to not produce a decent performance in those games is concerning.

Maybe Rugby Park shall produce something different...

Unfortunately the answer is a lot more straightforward than people want to believe.

As the o p say's Alfredo Morelos is the best player in Scotland. We have been denied his services since the piggery win. He's our game winner , the one who makes Rangers a winning team and we are vulnerable without him. Yes he's returned and yes he even managed to get on the score sheet today but as yet the real Morelos has yet to start a game in 2020 for us. That cheating bastard impersonating a referee on the 29th done his damage alright in added on time within added on time and oh how its cost us.

We’ve went from the driving seat at New Year to clinging on by our fingertips in a month and we’ve yet to record a strong 90 minutes in 7 matches.
The OP is spot on, we’ve got to reclaim our early season form or the league is gone.

Wednesday and today was just pure relief we didn't falter again. I'm not going into games with the same level of confidence but hopefully we can kick on now our strongest team players are nearly all back.

Thanks for a considered and thought out response.

There are for sure some mitigating circumstances as you have highlighted. And yet, for most games we are only talking of missing 2, admittedly important players. I feel a league winning side can cope with missing 1 or 2 players. For the other 9 starters plus the stand ins to not produce a decent performance in those games is concerning.

Maybe Rugby Park shall produce something different...

I would agree that we should be able to turn in a decent performance without a couple of key players, but Tav especially is a huge miss given the way we play. Him or Borna miss out and teams are free to double up on the one who's fit and we struggle to get going.

I actually think we miss Tav more than Morelos due to our system as we have been able to turn in good performances when missing Alfie, see Hibs away on 20th Dec.

A bigger concern is the lack of quality cover in key positions.

Centre half we are well covered; full backs, our second string are not good enough.

Midfield three we could do with an extra option, pity King was sent back when he was, he could have been worth a shout as an alternative to Davis and Kamara, both of whom have been out of form.

Attacking players, missing Stewart during most of that run was a blow, so hopefully Hagi and Kamberi can help out, and Defoe is back soon. Alfie can't be expected to do it all himself.

I would agree that we should be able to turn in a decent performance without a couple of key players, but Tav especially is a huge miss given the way we play. Him or Borna miss out and teams are free to double up on the one who's fit and we struggle to get going.

I actually think we miss Tav more than Morelos due to our system as we have been able to turn in good performances when missing Alfie, see Hibs away on 20th Dec.

A bigger concern is the lack of quality cover in key positions.

Centre half we are well covered; full backs, our second string are not good enough.

Midfield three we could do with an extra option, pity King was sent back when he was, he could have been worth a shout as an alternative to Davis and Kamara, both of whom have been out of form.

Attacking players, missing Stewart during most of that run was a blow, so hopefully Hagi and Kamberi can help out, and Defoe is back soon. Alfie can't be expected to do it all himself.

All just goes to show, in spite of enormous improvement under Gerrard, how fragile we still are.

Tav, Jack and Alfie have been injured and suspended and missed several weeks of football.

They were our 3 of our 4 best players (Borna being the 4th) in the first half of the season. What team wouldnt struggle with that taken out their side?

It's not a difficult thing to figure out.

I don't disagree, we certainly haven't played with the same fluidity as we did before the break but I think the 2nd half against hibs was more like our old selves .
I thought today was a pretty solid performance given the conditions , and winning 4-1 away from home is always a good result wherever it is , so hopefully we've turned a corner . Killie on Wednesday will be a test .

2nd half v hibs played well

Today, was always going to be Scrappy, but we had 10 shots on target..

Yep we've looked poor since the winter break , every game we've looked laboured , slow and out of ideas . Many of the players have been way off the mark but I don't think you can put it down to one or two reasons but you have to factor in a couple points, one of them I do think is down to more or less all the teams we've played have been very defensive more so than previous meetings . Then there's something that's out of our hands the refereeing has been atrocious and well within our right to call it out for blatant cheating , the refs have let these teams away with a probable combined 10-20 odd yellows and 2/3 reds.

Didnt come on here midweek. Was too fckuing angry with that shi.te.

After today I make that 9 games. Stubbornly sticking with the same players, the same formation, the same system and the same slow, deliberate boring build up play struggling to break down the opposition.

Thank god Arfield is banging them in from 25-30 yards right now.

Halliday, Arfield and Kamberi in his cameo were passable. Another game that was hard viewing. Haven't enjoyed a Rangers game since December.

Weather was awful today. Not sure you can read too much into that today. Awful game. Got the win. We all know we’re not playing that well just now.

Yeah that was really poor. Like others, I see no improvement, no change in tempo, no change in shape. Goldson hitting 40/50 yard passes, often to the assistant referee has become the norm. Not enough movement to play short balls to feet.

Early in season, Davis played in front of the CBs, Jack created the space allowing Davis to play to his strengths. Now Davis is playing much further forward and is nothing like as influential. And Goldson has to hit 40/50 yard passes.

It’s all so bloody predictable. Either the players are doing what they’re told or they're not. Since there have been no real team changes you have to believe they are playing to orders. If so, Stevie G has to change the orders because that was really awful.

Weather was awful today. Not sure you can read too much into that today. Awful game. Got the win. We all know we’re not playing that well just now.
9 games now we've been saying this...

There needs to be a bigger change. More than swapping one between Davis, Jack, Arfield and Aribo.

Change the formation. Change the system. Put a 2nd player up beside Morelos.

It's all very well saying this is our best XI but they arent playing like it.

We virtually play the same 11 from about 13 every week. How committed can the other guys be in training knowing it doesn't matter how bad the chosen 11-13 play its gonna be the same guys and system every week.

We're impotent up front.

No incision. No penetration.

Morelos does his best work miles away from the penalty spot now.

Yeah that was really poor. Like others, I see no improvement, no change in tempo, no change in shape. Goldson hitting 40/50 yard passes, often to the assistant referee has become the norm. Not enough movement to play short balls to feet.

Early in season, Davis played in front of the CBs, Jack created the space allowing Davis to play to his strengths. Now Davis is playing much further forward and is nothing like as influential. And Goldson has to hit 40/50 yard passes.

It’s all so bloody predictable. Either the players are doing what they’re told or they're not. Since there have been no real team changes you have to believe they are playing to orders. If so, Stevie G has to change the orders because that was really awful.

Predictability is a huge issue!

Teams know sit in, make us play through them and mostly we cant do it.

Knick a goal against the run or possession stats and we are in the shit.

Kent being taken off after about 55 mins shows that the manager is seeing what the rest of us are seeing with Kent’s form, sometimes they play out of bad form, sometimes they need to be hooked. Kamberi looked good, he linked up well, he has a decent first touch, can hold off a player trying to knock his balance and he took his goal well (even if it was ruled out).

As soon as Morelos dived and got sent aff at the Piggery our season changed, something, I don't know what, happened after that.

Kent being taken off after about 55 mins shows that the manager is seeing what the rest of us are seeing with Kent’s form, sometimes they play out of bad form, sometimes they need to be hooked. Kamberi looked good, he linked up well, he has a decent first touch, can hold off a player trying to knock his balance and he took his goal well (even if it was ruled out).
Was it definitely off? No good angle of replay on RTV. Agree, pleasantly surprised with Kamberi.

I'll give the manager a pass for Braga. He can play the same players and tactics for that one. We dont want to embarrass ourselves or lose the tie in the first leg.

But the next league game CANNOT be:
McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic/Haliday
3 from Davis Jack Aribo Arfield Kamara
Hagi Morelos Kent

I dont want to watch the next domestic game that looks like that.

I've just watched it 9 games in a row and its s.hite!

9 games now we've been saying this...

There needs to be a bigger change. More than swapping one between Davis, Jack, Arfield and Aribo.

Change the formation. Change the system. Put a 2nd player up beside Morelos.

It's all very well saying this is our best XI but they arent playing like it.

We virtually play the same 11 from about 13 every week. How committed can the other guys be in training knowing it doesn't matter how bad the chosen 11-13 play its gonna be the same guys and system every week.

We're impotent up front.

No incision. No penetration.

Morelos does his best work miles away from the penalty spot now.

Eh. The weather has been an issue for 9 games. That’s the only point I made. All the points you make are well known now. I’m saying today isn’t the day to look for improvements when playing in that kind of wind.

Was it definitely off? No good angle of replay on RTV. Agree, pleasantly surprised with Kamberi.

I'll give the manager a pass for Braga. He can play the same players and tactics for that one. We dont want to embarrass ourselves or lose the tie in the first leg.

But the next league game CANNOT be:
McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic/Haliday
3 from Davis Jack Aribo Arfield Kamara
Hagi Morelos Kent

I dont want to watch the next domestic game that looks like that.

I've just watched it 9 games in a row and its s.hite!

I’m not sure if it was off or not, would never know from the RTV examples. He walked away smiling after he scored it so I think he knew he was off from that but who knows.

I did die a little when I seen the same set up. I’d like to see something new but then I think back to the first half of the season and we were a joy to watch.

I said it in another thread that Hagi is wasted out in the wing, he’s one of the few players in the team that wants to pass it forward and when he does it’s with some quality. Annoying thing for us is our 3 top players from the first half of the season are trying to get back up to speed from either injurys or suspension.

Lot of moaners quiet today.

Huge 3 points under difficult circumstances, title challenge well back on track. Ridiculous overreaction after Killie.

Huge 3 points under difficult circumstances, title challenge well back on track. Ridiculous overreaction after Killie.

Shipping 8 points in 3 weeks, 6 of them from a goal up in the game, people are rightly annoyed.

And it’s not “back on track” either. We’re in the same situation as we were at the start of the day.

I dont think this accurately represents the situation at all. Unfortunately. I'd love you to be right.

Back