Chelsea put up for sale by Abramovich

Well the debt they owe to RA impacts the value of the club. So he either says to a buyer that they owe him £2bn to repay the debt and the potential buyer walks away, or he agrees to forego part of the debt and the buyer remains interested.

My take on it is that he hasn’t been sanctioned yet to give him time to sell the club. Can you imagine the government confiscating a football club and then running it?
PMQs would be a hell of a lot more interesting.

“Mr Speaker I’d like to know why we dropped 3 points at the weekend. What will the Prime Minister do about our striker not scoring!”

Aye, Chelsea will really struggle to find new owners. Who wants to buy one of the EPL’s top Clubs and the current European and World Champions?

Let’s see who’s willing to pay the money RA wants then :))

Pay him as well as invest in the team to keep them at the lofty heights.

If Roman is true to his statement then fair play to him. A very honourable thing to do, especially regarding the donations to the Ukrainian people

Donating the proceeds to Ukraine is quite the statement. Not many high profile Russians have criticised Putin and although this doesn’t quite come out and say that it is obvious.

Donating the proceeds to Ukraine is quite the statement. Not many high profile Russians have criticised Putin and although this doesn’t quite come out and say that it is obvious.
hopefully this the first sign of major criticism to putin and will encourage other Russians to stand up and make their feelings known.

He paid 140m, likely to get 2b. Wonder if he'll take the equivalent of what he loaned Chelsea out of that? Either way, it's a huge donation and big statement imo.

It’s very carefully worded and avoids any criticism, I wouldn’t be praising him just yet, let’s see how it plays out.

Something like that but it'll be part of any deal to buy the club that the debt is wiped out. I think it's just wishful thinking to believe that Chelsea are going to go bust when RA leaves. They're a massive global football club now and someone will pay up for it.
Only a complete retard would think otherwise.

Roman is doing the right thing.

I hope the new owners are as ambitious and give managers more of a chance and don't sign players the manager has no idea of.

Perhaps a new stadium or revamp will come back on the table at some point too.

UK government seem very unwilling to sanction Abramovich - makes you wonder what they are hiding as you couldn't get a more obvious target.

Going to look very dodgy if he manages to sell the club in the current climate.

Is everyone assuming that Abramovich will just wipe the debt the club owes him or something?

Aye, he seems like a totally trustworthy guy who wouldn't do anything bad at all.

Just announced it.. no debts to be re-paid..

---------------------
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich says he is planning to sell the club.

In a statement on the Premier League club's website, businessman Abramovich said it was an "incredibly difficult decision to make", which "pains" him.

Abramovich gave "stewardship and care" of Chelsea to its foundation trustees following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

In his statement, he says he will not ask "for any loans to be repaid" and proceeds of the sale would be donated to war victims.

Earlier on Wednesday, Billionaire Hansjorg Wyss had told Swiss newspaper Blick he had been offered the chance to buy the west London club.

Wyss said Abramovich wanted "to get rid of Chelsea quickly" after the threat of sanctions was raised in Parliament.

Abramovich, 55, is alleged to have strong ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin, which he has denied.

He says "all net proceeds from the sale" will be donated to the victims of the war in Ukraine.

In his statement, Abramovich added: "I have always taken decisions with the club's best interest at heart.

"In the current situation, I have therefore taken the decision to sell the club, as I believe this is in the best interest of the club, the fans, the employees, as well as the club's sponsors and partners.

"The sale of the club will not be fast-tracked but will follow due process. I will not be asking for any loans to be repaid.

"I have instructed my team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale will be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all victims of the war in Ukraine."

Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003 for £140m, and he says it has "never been about business nor money, but about pure passion for the game and club".

Only a complete retard would think otherwise.

Roman is doing the right thing.

I hope the new owners are as ambitious and give managers more of a chance and don't sign players the manager has no idea of.

Perhaps a new stadium or revamp will come back on the table at some point too.

Don't think a refurb is possible due to surrounding areas?

Could get quite grim for Abramovich and Chelsea depending on how things work out

Hopefully it gets a lot grimmer for Abramovitch, fuk him and his loans.
His money is stolen from the Russian people, and he's from one of their poorest regions.

If it was doable, and I was in charge, I'd freeze his assets, auction the club to the highest bidder, donate the funds from the winning bid to Ukraine (assuming it gets liberated), and let the new owners proceed debt free. RA can write off his 1,5Bn or whatever it is.

Sounds simple, but no doubt the lawyers would disagree :)

Back