Chinese league introduces wage cap

Ballymena Bear

The Chinese Super League will be introducing a new £49,000-per-week wage cap for foreign players.

Few examples of current players:
Oscar £400,000
Hulk £320,000
Pelle £290,000
Fellaini £235,000
Carrasco £180,000

Incredible the Hulk is on £320,000 per week and has never been even at his peak a top class footballer . Fair play to him but shows up how that league is wat out of kilter . The cap is a good move .

I had forgotten all those players still played the game.

Some money so I guess they don’t give a single f.uck but you’re totally off the radar playing there.

What sort of wage are the home grown Chinese players on? Are any of them near what the foreign mercenaries are on?

The Chinese Super League will be introducing a new £49,000-per-week wage cap for foreign players.

Oscar £400,000
Hulk £320,000
Pelle £290,000
Fellaini £235,000
Carrasco £180,000

Say what you want about these guys and being money grabbers, etc but I doubt anyone in their right mind would turn down going from 40/50k to 290k a week. I'd happily lose 2/3 years of my career for life altering money that would see your great, great, great grandkids sorted for money.

Wasn't Dario Conca the third highest paid player in the world when he was in China.

You'd think with their money, they'd sign some of the world's best youth coaches and set up training schools around China. No guarantees but surely that would be more beneficial to the national team, than signing good players to world class players wages.

Say what you want about these guys and being money grabbers, etc but I doubt anyone in their right mind would turn down going from 40/50k to 290k a week. I'd happily lose 2/3 years of my career for life altering money that would see your great, great, great grandkids sorted for money.

Wasn't Dario Conca the third highest paid player in the world when he was in China.

You'd think with their money, they'd sign some of the world's best youth coaches and set up training schools around China. No guarantees but surely that would be more beneficial to the national team, than signing good players to world class players wages.
Thing is guys like Witsel and Paulinho showed it doesn't take a huge hit on you at all. Despite going to China they still had clubs like dortmund and Barca interested in them. Dont think anyone blames players for going to China for the money either considering the wage, same with America or the Middle East

As for the youth development part i cant remember who but im fairly certain they brought in a big name coach to work with the chinese youngsters so they're doing that as well

Thing is guys like Witsel and Paulinho showed it doesn't take a huge hit on you at all. Despite going to China they still had clubs like dortmund and Barca interested in them. Dont think anyone blames players for going to China for the money either considering the wage, same with America or the Middle East

As for the youth development part i cant remember who but im fairly certain they brought in a big name coach to work with the chinese youngsters so they're doing that as well
how much money do you you need in life though? think about it, a premiership footballer who already may have £21 million in the bank, business interests and a top, top house and cars all paid for. then gets a call to say such an such want you to go to china and they are offering £275,000 a week. yeah, lets go there as i need more money. its immoral an sad really that at that level of money people still crave and chase more.

Fair play to them. Should be the same across the board. Something tells me clubs will find a way around it though.

how much money do you you need in life though? think about it, a premiership footballer who already may have £21 million in the bank, business interests and a top, top house and cars all paid for. then gets a call to say such an such want you to go to china and they are offering £275,000 a week. yeah, lets go there as i need more money. its immoral an sad really that at that level of money people still crave and chase more.

It’s immoral that people are making money off a product that they happen to be exceptional at? Jesus Christ.

The South Americans and Africans in particular come from absolutely zilch, wouldn’t surprise me if the likes of Oscar and Hulk aren’t only supporting their families, but hundreds of families back home in Brazil. Neymar pays for 2,500 children every year to try and get them out of poverty.

There’s absolutely nothing immoral about that.

It’s immoral that people are making money off a product that they happen to be exceptional at? Jesus Christ.

The South Americans and Africans in particular come from absolutely zilch, wouldn’t surprise me if the likes of Oscar and Hulk aren’t only supporting their families, but hundreds of families back home in Brazil. Neymar pays for 2,500 children every year to try and get them out of poverty.

no mate your missing my point. my point is about someone sitting there and getting a call to offer £300,000 a week when they already earn say £150,000 and already have everything in life and want to go and play football in a non football country or a football country that most of us dont care about. and all of a sudden thinking they need more money than the 20 million they already have in terms of doubling or trebling their waged by going to china. greed, greed, greed. my point will be proved as lets see how many really desire to go to china to play for the new wage cap figure.

Oscar £400,000
Hulk £320,000
Pelle £290,000
Fellaini £235,000
Carrasco £180,000

was seriously wondering where he had went to when I was watching Man U the other night, but I wasn't that bothered to check it out.

only need to see what Morelos is doing with what he is earning.

Sadly some filth supporter is following into Western Union filming him as he sends money home. We've had the recent articles on his charity.

no mate your missing my point. my point is about someone sitting there and getting a call to offer £300,000 a week when they already earn say £150,000 and already have everything in life and want to go and play football in a non football country. and all of a sudden thinking they need more money than the 20 million they already have. greed, greed, greed.
How many generations of their family are they potentially setting up with that money?

Also, I make enough to pay my bills and have enough left over to do what I want to do. If I got a call asking me to go work somewhere with less demands and double my salary, I would be off in a shot.

Why would anyone accept less than what's on offer? The opinion of someone on the Internet who might think I'm greedy matters not one solitary fućk. I go to work to provide for my family.

no mate your missing my point. my point is about someone sitting there and getting a call to offer £300,000 a week when they already earn say £150,000 and already have everything in life and want to go and play football in a non football country or a football country that most of us dont care about. and all of a sudden thinking they need more money than the 20 million they already have in terms of doubling or trebling their waged by going to china. greed, greed, greed. my point will be proved as lets see how many really desire to go to china to play for the new wage cap figure.

I’m not missing any point. The fact you think it’s greedy for someone to make more money in something they’re really good at, is nothing more than absolute jealousy.

If you were comfortable in your current job, and someone else offered to double your wages, you’d say no?

You don’t have the first clue about their circumstances. Oscar could have been looking at the China deal and realised it allows him to help another hundred families in his home town. Or Obafemi Martins whose Chinese wages allowed him to help an extra 1000 disabled people in his home town. Or Drogba who essentially funded the building of a full hospital.

Hulk is definitely supporting his family just in a different way!

I’m not missing any point. The fact you think it’s greedy for someone to make more money in something they’re really good at, is nothing more than absolute jealousy.

If you were comfortable in your current job, and someone else offered to double your wages, you’d say no?

You don’t have the first clue about their circumstances. Oscar could have been looking at the China deal and realised it allows him to help another hundred families in his home town. Or Obafemi Martins whose Chinese wages allowed him to help an extra 1000 disabled people in his home town. Or Drogba who essentially funded the building of a full hospital.
jealousy you say? how can you say that when you dont even know me? so i will try to explain more. you have so much money you can buy anything you need already. your already a good player playing in top flight football. you already earn so much. so why would any player want to leave a really stable position to go and play in a league that no one watches with any real interest just for a few quid more? you also cant put what you earn in to to this as im guessing you are not a 20 times over millionaire yes? so if you was offered ridiculous wages than your current £600 a week i wouldnt blame you one bit if it really helped your family financially. i also have been offered nearly treble wages in what i earn but it meant living in liverpool or travelling up every day and i didnt fancy it as its too far from me. you forgot to mention relocating if i was offered double my wages didnt you. im also not a greedy person. i have a good mate whos very rich. a business man who earns a fortune doing what he does. he was offered a position which doubled his wages in dubai i think it was. his words were, im already rich and what ive been offered aint going to change my life. im happy with what i do. and hes not got nowehere near what these china bound players have got. if you disagree with me no problem. but please dont say im jealous as thats just not the case. maybe im in the minority but i really dont care. i just dont see why a youngish person needs to chase that sort of money to play in a shit league with no exposure worldwide when they already have all they could ever want. so, my opinion is greed.

Last edited:

So if you got offered the exact same job at a different company for double the money you'd knock it back?

Everyone in any walk of life or job would try and maximise earning potential over their career.

Footballers are just people I don't understand why folk expect them to be so righteous when it comes to money.

jealousy you say? how can you say that when you dont even know me? so i will try to explain more. you have so much money you can buy anything you need already. your already a good player playing in top flight football. you already earn so much. so why would any player want to leave a really stable position to go and play in a league that no one watches with any real interest just for a few quid more? you also cant put what you earn in to to this as im guessing you are not a 20 times over millionaire yes? so if you was offered ridiculous wages than your current £600 a week i wouldnt blame you one bit if it really helped your family financially. i also have been offered nearly treble wages in what i earn but it meant living in liverpool or travelling up every day and i didnt fancy it as its too far from me. you forgot to mention relocating if i was offered double my wages didnt you. im also not a greedy person. i have a good mate whos very rich. a business man who earns a fortune doing what he does. he was offered a position which doubled his wages in dubai i think it was. his words were, im already rich and what ive been offered aint going to change my life. im happy with what i do. and hes not got nowehere near what these china bound players have got. if you disagree with me no problem. but please dont say im jealous as thats just not the case. maybe im in the minority but i really dont care. i just dont see why a youngish person needs to chase that sort of money to play in a shit league with no exposure worldwide when they already have all they could ever want. so, my opinion is greed.

Now you're just talking sh!te bud:D

So if you got offered the exact same job at a different company for double the money you'd knock it back?

Everyone in any walk of life or job would try and maximise earning potential over their career.

Footballers are just people I don't understand why folk expect them to be so righteous when it comes to money.
yes i get that they people. but many miss the point. how much money do you need???? listen, i have a very professional job, i have already explained i didnt want to travel everyday to liverpool for much more money. i also had the chance to go to america for a job and live there but i wasnt to going to make a difference to me financially even though it was much more than what i earn now. and im not rich. when you have how many millions in the bank why would you want to fly miles and miles away to play in a shite league? because the money they get offered is also not going to make a difference to what they have financially. or are you telling me that 20 million is not enough to live on and that an extra £250,000 a week is desperately needed? if they was offered the same amount or even £50,000 more we all know they wouldnt go. no one on here can tell me they are going for the quality football. so it can only mean they are going to china to play in a shite league for the money. so my point is correct. but im saying its again, how much money do you need.

Now you're just talking sh!te bud:D
no bother mate. if thats what you think then your entitled to your opinion. just curious as to how you know what jobs ive been offered. also factor in i didnt want to lieave my children as well. you may have forgot this fact. also are you one of these people that say, ''yeah but its only a short career?''

I dont work in football but a major part of the reason I am in China is the money.

Not a millionaire either!

People saying double your wage, nearly every one would've been 4 to 5 times their wage. As others have said a lot of players come from poor backgrounds and use this wealth to build schools, hospitals and other projects. Honestly though if you get set up your family for 5/6 generations down the line, would you not do it? Oscar is on over 20 million a year, in Europe or Brazil he'd probably be on around 5 million a year. I know which one I'd take.

Fair play to Morelos for turning it down. Probably 2/3 times his rangers wage.

It’s alright getting paid these sums, but I suspect getting the money out of the country is more difficult than people imagine.

Back