Christian - live at the Edmiston Club!

Lived at the top of our street, was the cousin of one of the lads that ran out supporters bus back then. He was an arsehole.
He wasn’t a bad singer though :D

Was at a wee night for my late maw in law at Calderbraes Golf Club about 20 years ago and the bold Christian was the main event.

Funnily enough my only other time seeing him ‘live’ was when he took part in an exhibition race round the track at Hampden on Cup final day.

Think Lachie Stewart was running too.

Can’t remember much more than that and the year and opposition escapes me, but must have been mid to late 70’s.

WATP

I remember my parents would head up to Glasgow to see him at "the club" in the early 80's, it all sounded very glamorous to my young ears.

If I am not mistaken he was also doing a turn at one of the Christmas nights at the club early 90's in which I was in attendance.

Remember him from the seventies, when I came down to Glasgow I stayed with my Aunt and uncle in Hyndland and Chris was staying in one of the flats, nice guy.

Seen Chris quite a few times at the Wee and Big Rangers clubs when they where in their heyday. My abiding memory of him though(he was a good bit older than me) was him playing keepy up against the gable end of a tenement in Rhynie Drive when I was a kid. He cut an exotic figure as you can imagine in those days and he was a decent player in his time. Never hid his affection for the Gers although he did have a spell working with Motherwell as I recall.

Wasn't he a Motherwell fan?

Might even have been on their board.

Before opening the thread I was expecting to see a baldy, uncle fester type guy with long black. jacket. Imagine my embarrassment when I realised I was thinking of The Christians :oops:

" Chris McClure was born in Ibrox in 1943 into a musical family. Chris never knew his father, an American entertainer called Chris Gill, but he was in show business and as a child, his mother Leanorra, taught Chris to dance and sing. Growing up he loved football but realized his real talent was performing and aged nineteen Chris joined The Fireflies and became their front man singer. Chris McClure and the Fireflies were a popular 60s Glasgow based group. They became known for their tight sound and vocal harmonies specializing in Tamla Motown and Soul music. They played throughout Scotland but were the resident band at the Flamingo after the Pathfinders and also the Picasso Club in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. "

He's still going strong doing the clubs. When my missus was still at Uni she worked in a wee social club and the place would be completely packed out the door whenever they had booked him. The old dears absolutely loved him.

Used to see him drop his weans off at the local primary when I took mine there. My how I rub shoulders with the stars.... oh and would see Lena Martell occasionally too.... whoop whoop.

My mate booked him to perform at his wife's 70th birthday party last Saturday night. Put on a pretty good show for an old guy.

Noticed he was singing in a Catholic shithole pub in Bellshill last year.Was very surprised

Bellahouston Academy boy. My auld da was there at the same time as him.

Chris himself said this: 'Staying across the road from Ibrox was really handy because I’d go to see them play everybody. Later on though, I became a director at Motherwell and it was nice to get away from the labelling you can suffer from some of the eejits in Glasgow'.

Used to see him drop his weans off at the local primary when I took mine there. My how I rub shoulders with the stars.... oh and would see Lena Martell occasionally too.... whoop whoop.

Lena stayed over the back from me when I was growing up in the Briggs, she was a recluse

I saw him and some of the big names on the clubscene at the big Rangers club but the best act I saw there was Billy Connolly , I was literally in tears laughing ,and if I remember correctly only paid 25p for the ticket

Christian performed at an hotel I was in Blackpool,last year. Another performers' voice went during his stint, and Christian stood in for the whole evening. He sang and danced non stop for more than 2 hours. The audience, mostly older people loved him. Wish I had his energy.

Back