Ciaran Dickson

On Dickson facebook there's pics of him as an alter boy when he was very young. Republicanism on the da's facebook. Cheerio.

Threads like this can hardly help the lad (or any other aspiring young player at our club from a Celtic supporting family).
In an ideal world, all of our homegrown players would have been brought up in a rangers supporting household but let’s be realistic

Patterson supports Rangers, thats the difference. He’d probably wait till hes 25 to get a shot at the club.

Ah, so you're using the same argument you were decrying from others.

Or maybe it's just about football. Patterson is a better prospect when all things considered (ability, attitude, application etc).

I heard a wild story about Dickson recently (willing to share with admin if they want and where I got it from). If it was any way true, and I’ve no reason to doubt it because of where it came from, then good riddance to him

I am disappointed when any of our promising youngsters leave but there is a massive jump from youth/under age football to playing against mature men who are stronger, fitter, faster. I hope there are no issues here other than a desire for change and an opportunity to develop in a different environment. If there are issues relating to the other side I am sure they are not coming from our side because any time I have seen the boy he has been given 100% support and never gave less than 100% effort, especially against their youth sides. But I recall McGeouch doing the same but jumping ship at the first opportunity despite having been discarded by them previously like a piece of dirt.

O9k0fPf.gif

There might not be any league football this season with clubs cutting back on their academies due to covid. Elfieldo that posts on here and follows the youth setup mentioned it on twitter back in July.

Looks like for now its friendlies only for our teams the B team played Queens Park today and the 18s are playing Thistle tonight for 2nd time in a week.
Sorry, I meant to reply to another post on that one.
I’d read this as being problems within the club.

I heard a wild story about Dickson recently (willing to share with admin if they want and where I got it from). If it was any way true, and I’ve no reason to doubt it because of where it came from, then good riddance to him
Haven’t heard that description used in ages :))

He is being released, there will be no fee involved.
The % of youth players who go on to make it as pro footballers was being discussed on talksport the other day, Simon Jordan said it was about a quarter of one percent, that is some failure rate for guys who are obviously talented with a football.
You can be the best player in the country at 15 and out the game by 18.

The % of youth players who go on to make it as pro footballers was being discussed on talksport the other day, Simon Jordan said it was about a quarter of one percent, that is some failure rate for guys who are obviously talented with a football.
Yep, that’s why I’ve always been advocate of players not going full time till they’ve finished high school so they can have a decent opportunity for a fall back.

It’s a tough industry and can destroy some kids, those who make it live the dream though.

At the end of the day, we are bringing in young prospects all the time and sometimes some will have to leave to make space for them. And when they do, you can bet your life there will be someone on here crying that we've released the next Messi.

152 minutes for one player and it's end of story now regarding any academy player worrying that they'll never be given a proper shot :rolleyes: Patterson has only touched the pitch for us against Stranraer, Red Imps and 4 minutes off the bench against Killie
Yes, I know.
At one point, that’s all Henderson, Jardine, Johnstone and Ferguson had as well.
Thing is, it’s a lot more difficult now than it was back then in that one dropped point could be very critical come the season end because of the dearth of quality teams likely to take points off us, and them.
I get the “end of story” line was a gross exaggeration but it still proves that the cream will get the opportunity to get to the top.
The academy players have to prove, on the training pitch, that they’re worth taking a gamble on.

Dark age thinking.
Look at some of the names we've had recently.
Also, do you still give a damn?
No mate, I don’t care and I would expect any player to give their all, irrespective of childhood allegiances but you have to concede that parents name children.

His heart wasn’t in it let’s be honest

Boys a Celtic diehard
Think before you post. Why did he sign for Rangers in the first place? If his heart wasn’t in it he’d have gone somewhere else. If anything, signing for Rangers with that family background suggests he was very much career focussed and doing what was best for him. Now he’ll be doing the same again after WE released him.

Our biggest problem with youth players is there’s a level they get to where they aren’t good enough for our first team but players who aren’t as good are getting game time with other clubs. This is why a B team playing competitive football is so important to us.

The folk who criticise the lack of game time for our youth players need to realise a young player being good enough to get minutes for e.g. Hamilton or even Chelsea in a season they weren’t expected to win is very different from minutes for a Rangers team expected to win a title where every point is a prisoner and a single mistake can wreck a career (remember Myles Beerman).

It’s noticeable the Bheggars haven’t brought through any first team players since we’ve been back in the league either. The days of freebie development games for forest, Tierney and Mcgregor are gone.

Not really worked out that well for us has it ?

Mcgeough , Burt, Kennedy now Dickson.

The first 2 mentioned are a mile off Rangers standard.
We missed out on absolutely nothing there.

The second 2 have decent potential, but no more than that, at the moment.

The first 2 mentioned are a mile off Rangers standard.
We missed out on absolutely nothing there.

The second 2 have decent potential, but no more than that, at the moment.

They weren’t at the time McGeough went on to play quite a few games for there first team and did ok for Hibs,

Burt was supposed to be the next big thing.

Kennedy has apparently got a lot of English clubs and European ones interested in him.

You might know what’s happening with Dickson more than I do all I’ve seen him really was in one game where both he and Kennedy stood out against a Championship team.

Maybe it’s old fashioned or a poor way of thinking or whatever it is but if these guys were born and bred Rangers fans they would have hung around longer.

It's very complicated at the moment re Academy.

Us and scum drop so few points that there is no time to blood youngsters. The pressure is constant. Add in the chaos up here with no games at youth level, and the ever more strident demands of kids and their parents for 'game time'.....we will lose players as we can't promise them anything.

They weren’t at the time McGeough went on to play quite a few games for there first team and did ok for Hibs,

Burt was supposed to be the next big thing.

Kennedy has apparently got a lot of English clubs and European ones interested in him.

You might know what’s happening with Dickson more than I do all I’ve seen him really was in one game where both he and Kennedy stood out against a Championship team.

Maybe it’s old fashioned or a poor way of thinking or whatever it is but if these guys were born and bred Rangers fans they would have hung around longer.

You make a fair point on McGeough mate, but Burt was a busted flush long before he left.

He'd been left behind and overtaken by younger players, as his development stalled.

It's definitely a plus for me that our best 2 prospects for making the full journey to becoming 1st team players (Patterson and Mayo), are from staunch Rangers families.

I don't care whether that's an outdated attitude or not.
I like it.

You make a fair point on McGeough mate, but Burt was a busted flush long before he left.

He'd been left behind and overtaken by younger players, as his development stalled.

It's definitely a plus for me that our best 2 prospects for making the full journey to becoming 1st team players (Patterson and Mayo), are from staunch Rangers families.

I don't care whether that's an outdated attitude or not.
I like it.

Yeah I know he was but maybe if he hadn’t been from the Darkside he would have got on better.

Suppose it depends how ruthless you are and how much you want to succeed.

The scum seem to do better with Rangers supporters than we do with theirs.

Patterson and Mayo hopefully have a big future with us but I think Mayo will struggle with how strong we are in his position.

Yeah I know he was but maybe if he hadn’t been from the Darkside he would have got on better.

Suppose it depends how ruthless you are and how much you want to succeed.

The scum seem to do better with Rangers supporters than we do with theirs.

Patterson and Mayo hopefully have a big future with us but I think Mayo will struggle with how strong we are in his position.

It will definitely be a challenge for him, but he's got all the right attributes.

Tall, strong physical presence, excellent in the air, terrific attitude and by far the best on the ball of all our central defenders.

Definitely don't bet against him mate.

I played pro youth and the best players Around my age were ross Perry, Gary glen, Carlo monti, think they all play junior now.

It will definitely be a challenge for him, but he's got all the right attributes.

Tall, strong physical presence, excellent in the air, terrific attitude and by far the best on the ball of all our central defenders.

Definitely don't bet against him mate.

I know you rate him highly and what I’ve seen of him he’s impressed, Bulked up as well and the way he was barking orders in France at McCrorie proves he’s got the correct attitude.

I am pretty sure Edmundson or Katic will be away over the next season or so if not both and Balogun seems very injury prone.

Goldson might also fancy another crack at the EPL and if he keeps up a good level of performance he may just get his wish.

It’s good to see home grown players make it as it’s been far to long since we have brought anyone through that’s been a regular over a few years.

Back