Clarity on our injuries

I love that people claim were entitled to this info.

What gives you that feeling of entitlement? You bought a ticket and a shirt? Great. You bought some shares? Fantastic. Where in the t&c for any of those things does it say you get injury updates?

If a customer at my work started shouting about being entitled to know why I was off work and exactly when I'd be back, they'd be told it was none of their business. Why do you think football is different?
All the difference in the world pal, surprised you can't see it.

I remember full well McCoist coming back against Steua because Souness, after selling Fleck and Falco, had no option but to take the risk.

This issue isn't something that gets to me, so I don't get that it can bring out words like entitled in the arguments.

We live in the first quarter of the 21st century and technology, especially in the field of sports injuries and recuperation teqhniques etc have never been so advanced.

It is a natural reflex when you see a player getting stretched off, you automatically think ooh, this is a bad one. Your next thought is I wonder how long he'll be out? Every fan of every contact sport in the world thinks along the same lines. It doesn't make them entitled.

In this day and age, when a player is injured you'd expect the club to A - assess the extent of the injury and frrom that be able to give reasonable time frame for the recuperation and from then back to full fitness.

That's the A to Z of it in my book.

The only ones who play the injury disinformation game is the yahoos and if it reels you in then more fool you. (Not you personally)
You are so right this with one.

I can't remember an Old Firm game over the last 50 years where they haven't had one or two key players seriously doubtful to be available during the build-up, and miraculously, they all pass late fitness tests. It is so predictable, it is actually tiresome.

No, became medical matters are private and it’s up to the players if information is released.
I'm not sure letting it be known player will be fit to play football in 2, 4, 6 weeks or whatever is disclosing private medical information. It certainly didn't used to be and doesn't seem to be an issue with other clubs. If the player specifically objects then fair enough, but I can't see too many doing that.

I'm not sure letting it be known player will be fit to play football in 2, 4, 6 weeks or whatever is disclosing private medical information. It certainly didn't used to be and doesn't seem to be an issue with other clubs. If the player specifically objects then fair enough, but I can't see too many doing that.
Yeah that’s nonsense. Clubs can decide fine well what info they want to release

Helander said in an interview recently he’s hoping to be back around February but I imagine it would take a few months for him to get match fit again after being out so long, assume he will be let go in summer when his contract runs out without seeing him play again.

Roofe looks to be back in full training on RTV so looks like he could be back for Hibs, hopefully he can keep some sort of fitness but you just never know with him. Beale was positive about him and was saying how he was the top scorer in the 55 season so I’d imagine he wants Roofe back in the squad.

Souttar, no idea. Still not taking part in training. Would imagine he’s going to be out long term but it would be good to know.
I spoke to someone recently who met him in the Queen Elizabeth Maternity hospital recently.

He said to the person I spoke to that his target is February.

Never knew that, just frustrating that we never get any good news, thought Hagi was close to returning but didn't look involved in the training videos from the other day and thought Roofe might have been out longer only to see him involved.
Without being argumentative, I think you just answered your own question.
”Thought Hagi was close to to returning” followed by ”didn’t look involved in training videos”
I think the Club is wise to avoid scheduling recovery times like a railway timetable, only to be criticised later if the trains are delayed.
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.
No two people or injuries are the same, so at best, it’s going to be guesses, rough estimates and matters of medical opinion.
Is it a pain in the arse? Yes.
Is it better to go with the guesses, only to get it wrong? Club doesn’t think so.

Without being argumentative, I think you just answered your own question.
”Thought Hagi was close to to returning” followed by ”didn’t look involved in training videos”
I think the Club is wise to avoid scheduling recovery times like a railway timetable, only to be criticised later if the trains are delayed.
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.
No two people or injuries are the same, so at best, it’s going to be guesses, rough estimates and matters of medical opinion.
Is it a pain in the arse? Yes.
Is it better to go with the guesses, only to get it wrong? Club doesn’t think so.
Can totally get that, but can also remember being told if players have suffered a set back in recuperation, but as you said it's maybe a club decision, would just be good to hear some positive info coming out cause the injuries have been horrendous to us this season and that's maybe more why we're looking for clarity more because with our form and key players missing you're hoping to hear something, I probably wouldn't have noticed or raised this point if it was only a couple of players out. Probably goes back to the Rossitter 7-10 days shambles.

Why are we entitled? The players aren’t available due to injury and no amount of updates or moaning about communication is going to change that. Just get on with it and welcome the players back when they are ready without giving opposing managers heads up on our likely squad they will face weeks in advance.
I think what a lot of bears believe and I am one of them that some of these players are at it and could be back long before they are at times.

Suck before every press conference asks this board what they want asked.

What questions do our reps not ask? Also what questions that they ask don’t you agree with?
Ross Wilson stated we had players who were injured returning now fit to the squad. Not one person asked who the players were, which for me would be a normal question.

I strongly agree with your post here.

It bugs the hell out of me how bloody awful the Club is at keeping the fans in the loop about our injuries and recuperation timescales. I really hope the new management team take this on Board and ensure that the supporters are kept better informed.

Also, the publication of these updates might put some psychological pressure on some of our "slower to recover" players than has been the case in the past.
They need to be careful with it

If its players they are having issues with they don't want to say that or would struggle to move on fans with injuries if it's a serious unjust they don't want shout out to the world

I think, as has been mentioned here already, this stuff ties into a much wider argument - what information should football clubs be sharing with fans? As there's no real agreement on that, we see the various approaches regarding injury updates, transfer rumours, contract talks etc., and expectations are driven by that.

It probably needs a bigger discussion.

Ross Wilson stated we had players who were injured returning now fit to the squad. Not one person asked who the players were, which for me would be a normal question.

I never caught wilson saying that, though I assume that it was at the unveiling press conference, I appreciate that its a question that you and others want answered, but it doesn't mean that its a question that needs asked, in the context of an unveiling.

It doesnt really matter who is back *today* we are 2 weeks out from the next game Id imagine that the question asked in the pre-match PC is who is available/in the squad.

I don't accept this at all.

Any player playing this card obviously has no respect for the supporters at all.
Good for you. How about you post all your family’s health issues on here first? You do understand there are laws in the country to be followed. I am sure you would be thrilled if your employer posted everything about you! The entitled modern day Rangers supporter...painfully unaware.

Good for you. How about you post all your family’s health issues on here first? You do understand there are laws in the country to be followed. I am sure you would be thrilled if your employer posted everything about you! The entitled modern day Rangers supporter...painfully unaware.
Tell you what . . . pay me ten, twenty or thirty thousand very week, and I will post my health issues on here, no problem.

True story about George Graham, when he took over at Spurs.

He had no fewer than 22 players on his injured list when he took over, and those guys came in every morning, got physio or whatever, then swanned off after lunch. The Spurs training ground is near the M25.

GG changed the routine, so they came in at lunchtime, and had to spend the afternoons getting treatment, and set off for home in the rush hour.

The injury list shrank very rapidly. Funny that, eh?
George Graham had the right idea when he was manager…a no nonsense approach with the players. He ruled with an iron fist and his management record is up there with the best. He was a success at Arsenal…just ask Ian Wright and a few others like Tony Adams etc. He had an immediate impact at Leeds United when they were in all honesty a basket case under Mr Masterbates. He also then had success at Spurs winning the League Cup until Mr Levy and his paymasters took over and out of spite because of his Arsenal connection dismissed him.

I think what a lot of bears believe and I am one of them that some of these players are at it and could be back long before they are at times.
I don’t think the players are at it at all. Even if they were, I’m not convinced a fan update would get them back on the pitch earlier.

Under Gerrard he used to say a player (Jack usually) was 2 weeks away and then when the player didn’t appear on the pitch the fans were then questioning where he was. All setting a time frame does is cause further questions if they don’t meet it.

If anyone can tell me a good reason for this information to be public, then I'll support it but to me it seems we have supporters that feel they have to know everything because they are nosey bastards.
Are you new to football?
Because I am 34 and I can always remember getting information on what the injury was and how long roughly it should be before the player is back in training.

Are you new to football?
Because I am 34 and I can always remember getting information on what the injury was and how long roughly it should be before the player is back in training.
Good for you.

Regardless of whether I am new to football or not, how does you being told something in the past justify a good reason for being told this information?

Good for you.

Regardless of whether I am new to football or not, how does you being told something in the past justify a good reason for being told this information?
I feel the fans and supporters who actively pay huge amounts of money to the club should be kept in the loop with important goings on at the club. Like when our vice captain is scheduled to be back for instance.

“After the world cup” is more than a little vague IMO.

I feel the fans and supporters who actively pay huge amounts of money to the club should be kept in the loop with important goings on at the club. Like when our vice captain is scheduled to be back for instance.

“After the world cup” is more than a little vague IMO.
Fair enough. Does matter to me. Makes no difference in the grand scheme of things whether we know or whether we don't.

Fair enough. Does matter to me. Makes no difference in the grand scheme of things whether we know or whether we don't.
I think for some (like me) it helps with things like optimism when you're in a tricky spot. "Oh we will have so and so back soon"
Also around the transfer window its useful as well, if we know that Souttar and Helander for instance are out until mid March (just a random date before anyone panics) then we would maybe think we would be better looking at a CB.
We all want to feel more involved than we are I suppose.

Must admit, it really doesn’t bother me not getting told when a player is expected back.

If they came out with provisional return times there would be folk complaining about any set backs they might face, whilst putting pressure on the players to return when they might not be ready.

I understand why some get annoyed about it, but it doesn’t really bother me, as I said.

I think for some (like me) it helps with things like optimism when you're in a tricky spot. "Oh we will have so and so back soon"
Also around the transfer window its useful as well, if we know that Souttar and Helander for instance are out until mid March (just a random date before anyone panics) then we would maybe think we would be better looking at a CB.
We all want to feel more involved than we are I suppose.
Fair enough but this goes back to the full crux of my point, it benefits your needs to know these things. It has no commercial benefit to the club. With regards to your Souttar and Helander points, again this satisfies your thought process - I'm very sure the club know when most players will be back and their transfers will be considered accordingly.

Fair enough but this goes back to the full crux of my point, it benefits your needs to know these things. It has no commercial benefit to the club. With regards to your Souttar and Helander points, again this satisfies your thought process - I'm very sure the club know when most players will be back and their transfers will be considered accordingly.
It' never had any commercial benefit to the club in the past either. Some of the biggest clubs in the world keep their fans abreast of the current injury issues, its just part of football. We never used to be this cryptic with updates.

Back