Clement’s Four Pillars

Hooty

From his appointment, Clement has stated he is looking to achieve a Rangers that is the best technically, tactically, physically and mentally.

Suffice it to say we aren’t close on any of those fronts. And to be fair, i don’t think anyone expected us to be when Beale got his jotters to now.

Technically - the quality in the squad needs a major lift. Once again the starting 11 leaves a lot to be desired and we need open heart surgery. We have plenty of players that struggle to do the basics.

Tactically - not sure what Clement has been trying to achieve with the team in 2024. I suspect lack of fitness, injuries, and generally having shit players has impacted this. But I doubt we as a support will be giving him too long into the new season to start seeing progress.

Physically - our players are made of rice cakes. An outstanding pre-season, a squad over haul, and a solution within the medical dept is required.

Mentally - arguably our biggest issue. And it can only be resolved by clearing out the current squad, and installing standards back at Rangers. Players who thrive on pressure and would kill to win.

The answer to all that unfortunately is £££££ and finding buyers for our contracted players.

All very well having an idea like these four pillars, but by %^*& are we up against it going into a new season again.

Some of the concerns growing for me around the manager include a distinct lack of style that he’s trying to play, and we said the same under Beale.

Add to that his inability to learn from failures against Celtic this season both on personnel selections and formation/tactics.

Would be foolish to suggest he’s absolved from any blame and of course he’s currently far from the biggest problem, but in his first 8 months he’s already shown a fair few weaknesses.

From his appointment, Clement has stated he is looking to achieve a Rangers that is the best technically, tactically, physically and mentally.

Suffice it to say we aren’t close on any of those fronts. And to be fair, i don’t think anyone expected us to be when Beale got his jotters to now.

Technically - the quality in the squad needs a major lift. Once again the starting 11 leaves a lot to be desired and we need open heart surgery. We have plenty of players that struggle to do the basics.

Tactically - not sure what Clement has been trying to achieve with the team in 2024. I suspect lack of fitness, injuries, and generally having shit players has impacted this. But I doubt we as a support will be giving him too long into the new season to start seeing progress.

Physically - our players are made of rice cakes. An outstanding pre-season, a squad over haul, and a solution within the medical dept is required.

Mentally - arguably our biggest issue. And it can only be resolved by clearing out the current squad, and installing standards back at Rangers. Players who thrive on pressure and would kill to win.

The answer to all that unfortunately is £££££ and finding buyers for our contracted players.

All very well having an idea like these four pillars, but by %^*& are we up against it going into a new season again.
He has to have a squad that wants to work with him on what he is trying to achieve. I get the feeling this squad say all the right things at the beginning and then when they are expected to keep the same levels up week after week and have the same attitude wk after wk, thats just a step too far for them as they so used to getting their own way and having manager's sacked.

We have a selfish squad that need to be told some home truths and if they dont like it then we should be looking to punt them or play youths as at least they'd try.

Some of the concerns growing for me around the manager include a distinct lack of style that he’s trying to play, and we said the same under Beale.

Add to that his inability to learn from failures against Celtic this season both on personnel selections and formation/tactics.

Would be foolish to suggest he’s absolved from any blame and of course he’s currently far from the biggest problem, but in his first 8 months he’s already shown a fair few weaknesses.
He’s been here seven months.

He is limited by the hand he has but I agree with your point about the manager not being able to make changes to the set up or tactics in the three Celtic games. He can’t go into the first derby early next season without a win against them.

People saying next week is a must win for the manager when everyone agrees the players available aren’t up to it. What is he meant to do?

He needs to be given time ffs

Thats the issue with folk right now

“The squads shite and needs gutted”

“Why is Clement picking these shite players”

“The managers shite, we shoulda won the treble”

Until Clement gets a chance to put his own team out hes working with both arms tied behind his back

I've been reflecting on Gerrard's time here more and more recently, and probably in the passage of time that's inevitable, especially when we experience the kind of failure of this season, and it's without doubt that he understood the character of a Rangers player that just hasn't existed in any subsequent transfer windows since he's left. I hope this manager understands this just as acutely, because unless we get character back into our dressing room we are quite probably on a repeat cycle at present; there is a distinct lack of character in our play these days, and the sense of togetherness that was once there seems alarmingly absent as well. Yeah, get players on ability, it's important, but ability is only one feature of what is required in a Rangers player; we have players better in ability to most teams they are up against right now, but who are clearly not up to the rather unique challenge that comes with playing for Rangers. The capitalution since the Motherwell defeat is arguably more reflective of the character of this side than it is purely in its ability.

7 months and still has no idea what his best 11 is , worse record than Beale and playing long ball football that you see in the juniors.
It's not good enough

Regarding style maybe these players just cant take on instruction and execute it on the park.

They play for themselves and dont do the hard graft or cover team mates etc.

<________________________________________________>
shite-------------losing------------tav------------goldson

There's your four pillars bois.

He’s finished the season further behind than when he started, same as Beale.

He hasn’t managed to beat Celtic when it mattered, same as Beale.

There’s a lack of any evident style or tactical flexibility, same as Beale.

He needs the summer to bring in his own players though.

Same as Beale.

The goodwill is starting to evaporate. Clement will need to show he is ruthless and bin the players we all know have been here too long. Also he needs to have an identity of playing style and sate I say it a hardcore of Scottish players too.

Big summer for him and Koppen.

Not necessarily. Utilisation of talent cost is key. Low levels of utilisation are generally an indicator of something being wrong - you’ve overpaid for a player, you’ve over-valued them, you’ve put too much money down on a guy that’s not robust, so they’re not on the field enough. We do this too often. We need to get a higher bang for our buck rather than just spend more.

Same as Beale.
Apples and oranges.

PC has a lot more credit in the bank for one. He's at least won a trophy and rescued a failing European campaign to take us to the knockouts again.

He's also won trophies in his career with multiple clubs.

He is a winner.

Beale never was.

People saying next week is a must win for the manager when everyone agrees the players available aren’t up to it. What is he meant to do?

He needs to be given time ffs
He needs to show he’s capable of setting up a team and having tactical manoeuvrability in game.

So far he’s been found wanting on three occasions. We’ve been 2-0 down three times before we started to play.

That can’t go on

Main thing is he knows for sure these donkeys aren't the answer so time to ship out and get fresh blood in who will hopefully get us on the road back ..

Same as Beale.
When you put it like that, maybe we should've gone for McInnes.

Is one of his pillars laziness?

I’ve never known a Rangers manager to accommodate so many lazy players. Players who don’t even have a technical ability to make up for it - Wright, Lawrence, Dowell, Lundstram all allowed to stroll around.
What else can he really do with only one transfer window and next to no money available? He’s only been able to work with the tools he’s been given. Injuries have obviously dictated a lot of what he could and couldn’t do as well.

Same as Beale.

The similarities to where we are today to where we were this time last year under Beale are scarily similar. Manager takes over half-way through season, inherits a poor squad, can't beat Celtic, and seems unable to get a team playing a way that us fans can easily identify and understand.

Clements credit is the League Cup and a possible Scottish Cup, but it's difficult to ignore some of these similar patterns.

The one positive we shouldn't overlook this Summer is that we have a seemingly competent DoF who will oversee recruitment, vs giving all of our money to a glorified PE teacher last season.

These are the 4 corners of the player model. You learn it when u do your badges so that's where he's getting it from. When I did mine I was asked what do u know about the 4 corner model - I went yeah short corner, front post back post etc which wasn't what they were after.

Unfortunately they all compliment each other and it's a bit like 4 legs of a stool - if one is missing then the stool falls over.

Physchologically we aren't strong enough - nobody willing to goto the bitter end think souness, think Butcher, think hurlock, think hately.

Tactically - we are poor - when we went to 10 men at parkhead the game plan was gash - walter smith would have won that game.

Physically - we are as robust as a glass ornament and too injury prone.

Technically- OK in terms of controlling the ball and personal attributes.

Unfortunately if u aren't willing to roll your sleeves up and battle and are up for a fight then you will get nowhere.

Seen Mcgregor being lauded in the paper for saying to barisic your a shitbag and asking lawrence if he's the new hard man? Unbelievable that we are now in a place where this wee wife beating bam can large it against Rangers. Can u imagine him up against Either Ian or Derek ferguson, hurlock, souness or Butcher ffs. He would get absolutely halved. He wouldn't dare step out of line, yet he knows he can get away with it because of the mentality of our players.

Problem is we are not going to manage to off load most of the dead wood in one go,he has to be given time to rebuild the squad that could take 2 or 3 windows.

Same as Beale.

Players, same as Beale.

That's the problem.

The similarities to where we are today to where we were this time last year under Beale are scarily similar. Manager takes over half-way through season, inherits a poor squad, can't beat Celtic, and seems unable to get a team playing a way that us fans can easily identify and understand.

Clements credit is the League Cup and a possible Scottish Cup, but it's difficult to ignore some of these similar patterns.

The one positive we shouldn't overlook this Summer is that we have a seemingly competent DoF who will oversee recruitment, vs giving all of our money to a glorified PE teacher last season.
Koppen has it all to prove, IMO, and I don’t mean that negatively - it’s just a fact.

We need someone able to unearth much better quality players on the same modest budget and there’s absolutely no guarantee he’s the man to do that, I’m afraid.

Koppen has it all to prove, IMO, and I don’t mean that negatively - it’s just a fact.

We need someone able to unearth much better quality players on the same modest budget and there’s absolutely no guarantee he’s the man to do that, I’m afraid.

If you don't mean it negatively why have you worded it in the most negative way possible?

What makes you think he's not the man to do it? He's just in the door FFS.

What else can he really do with only one transfer window and next to no money available? He’s only been able to work with the tools he’s been given. Injuries have obviously dictated a lot of what he could and couldn’t do as well.
He could’ve done better with what was available.

Like not picking Lawrence and Wright for OF games and leaving Cantwell on the bench.

Like not playing Sterling as a winger when it’s clear that he’s hopeless there and we’re crying out for him in midfield.

Like not continuing picking Lundstram when he’s put in nothing above a 3/10 since January.

Raskin and Sterling should’ve played far more games in midfield and Cantwell should’ve started every game.

He could’ve done better with what was available.

Like not picking Lawrence and Wright for OF games and leaving Cantwell on the bench.

Like not playing Sterling as a winger when it’s clear that he’s hopeless there and we’re crying out for him in midfield.

Like not continuing picking Lundstram when he’s put in nothing above a 3/10 since January.

Raskin and Sterling should’ve played far more games in midfield and Cantwell should’ve started every game.
Raskin is naff too by the way, and Cantwell is a complete show pony at times and has a real issue where on the field discipline is concerned too, he’s already been hooked for not following instructions. Yeah he’s made mistakes, no doubt, but he was certainly dealt a shitty hand. The way he instantly curtailed expectation by saying he wasn’t a wizard told me he wasn’t exactly blown away by what he saw when he first walked in.

Anyone criticising the gaffer - you have every right to but I am telling you, he is a winner and has been managing losers to this point.

3 titles in a row with 2 different clubs, yes we are on another scale but I back him 100% to succeed so long as he is backed

We’ve a hell of a long way to go if we’re to be best technically, tactically, physically and mentally.

Technically the squad is miles off it and that’s why it will be obliterated.

It’s physically weak and there is no winning mentality.

Tactically. I’m not seeing it from Clement, yet. That’s got to change too. Starting next week.

Back