Clement’s Four Pillars

For me we are back to the point where Gerrard came in the5-5 game with HIVs was the worst defensive display I can remember.

Gerrard arrived and started to rebuild the playing side , instil values and work ethiic made players realise

I genuinely feel that our gameplan is simply just banking on the fact our players are usually better than the oppositions. It's been the same for years.

There appears to be little rhyme or reason to how players are playing their positions. It's like they all have individual instructions that are a secret from each other. We don't try and develop any patterns and it results in a fairly chaotic attacking approach.

I also think that in the last couple of seasons a few well coached teams have developed in the SPL and they've looked far more organised than we have.

I'm hoping beyond hope that Clement can oversee a clear out this summer and start moving towards something positive next season

Seen Mcgregor being lauded in the paper for saying to barisic your a shitbag and asking lawrence if he's the new hard man? Unbelievable that we are now in a place where this wee wife beating bam can large it against Rangers. Can u imagine him up against Either Ian or Derek ferguson, hurlock, souness or Butcher ffs. He would get absolutely halved. He wouldn't dare step out of line, yet he knows he can get away with it because of the mentality of our players.

we obviously need quality across the team, but quite frankly we need a personality. someone that can see this wee lady's front bottom for what his is and that wants to put him in his place. he's not getting any younger, so it should be a fairly easy task for someone with some confidence in themselves

we obviously need quality across the team, but quite frankly we need a personality. someone that can see this wee lady's front bottom for what his is and that wants to put him in his place. he's not getting any younger, so it should be a fairly easy task for someone with some confidence in themselves
I agree. He's a bully. If I was Lawerence I would have said hey wee man I'm no your missus - ill skelp you back

To continue clement needs to show in the window he has what it takes to do what Gerrard did , bring standards at the club up. Players understand the demands accept them and work there arse if every time they play for Rangers. That is step one.

That for me is his task getting players in that have that desire is the key,

When the cull happens this summer I hope it is extensive to get the dead wood out.

To continue clement needs to show in the window he has what it takes to do what Gerrard did , bring standards at the club up. Players understand the demands accept them and work there arse if every time they play for Rangers. That is step one.

That for me is his task getting players in that have that desire is the key,

When the cull happens this summer I hope it is extensive to get the dead wood out.

This is it. We need more players on the way up using us as a step along the way.

Nit late 20s guys with other options in England meaning they have expectations of large wages

He’s said a lot of good things and has articulated himself very well since he came in.

Unfortunately I’ve seen limited evidence on the pitch regarding Clements’s ability to get us to where we belong.

People saying he’s just in the door need to give their heads a wobble. Can bemoan the players all we want.

Not knowing the style of play a manager wants to implement after being on our training ground for 7 months is hugely concerning.

Some of the concerns growing for me around the manager include a distinct lack of style that he’s trying to play, and we said the same under Beale.

Add to that his inability to learn from failures against Celtic this season both on personnel selections and formation/tactics.

Would be foolish to suggest he’s absolved from any blame and of course he’s currently far from the biggest problem, but in his first 8 months he’s already shown a fair few weaknesses.
It’s clear some won’t be happy until another manager gets the boot.

He’s said a lot of good things and has articulated himself very well since he came in.

Unfortunately I’ve seen limited evidence on the pitch regarding Clements’s ability to get us to where we belong.

People saying he’s just in the door need to give their heads a wobble. Can bemoan the players all we want.

Not knowing the style of play a manager wants to implement after being on our training ground for 7 months is hugely concerning.

He's said he can't play like he would want due to players available.

Perhaps that pragmatism and playing in a way he thinks will get us results should be lauded rather than criticised for being no style evident

Look at his interviews the last couple weeks, he in barely hiding his absolute disgust at some of the players and I imagine he's lost his patience. Look at tav today for example, our "captain". He can't look at that and be anything but let down and disgusted.

He could’ve done better with what was available.

Like not picking Lawrence and Wright for OF games and leaving Cantwell on the bench.

Like not playing Sterling as a winger when it’s clear that he’s hopeless there and we’re crying out for him in midfield.

Like not continuing picking Lundstram when he’s put in nothing above a 3/10 since January.

Raskin and Sterling should’ve played far more games in midfield and Cantwell should’ve started every game.
People will blame injuries and say he didn't have any choice despite the fact Sterling has started on the bench 16 times under Clement in the league and never came on in 4 of those games.

Raskin has spent 11+ games on the bench and 8 of them never came on.

We have had a horrible time with injuries but to use them as an excuse for him to continue picking players under performing isn't exactly true in every case.

People blame everything on Tav, Goldson, Lundstram and Barisic but there has been plenty of games where he could easily have dropped them if he thought they were the issue.

The Manager certainly has his problems for next week with injuries and players who have not kicked a serious ball in months.

However a good manager will concentrate on factors within his control and avoid previous mistakes.

If he persists with having his midfield bossed by goggle eyes and co he deserves all the criticism he gets frankly.

I have no great hope that will change as I think Lundstram will return and we will struggle again.

Interesting to hear wnat he has to say after the cup game as he no longer has to keep players on side and hopefully will make it known what he really thinks. If of course we win the cup then I doubt he can say much and at least our fans will be happy for the victory.
We will not have a lot of cash for new players and what we have in my view should be spent on defenders. We scored three today which should win most if not all games for us with a good defence.

Not necessarily. Utilisation of talent cost is key. Low levels of utilisation are generally an indicator of something being wrong - you’ve overpaid for a player, you’ve over-valued them, you’ve put too much money down on a guy that’s not robust, so they’re not on the field enough. We do this too often. We need to get a higher bang for our buck rather than just spend more.
Our spend last summer could have bought Taylor, Johnston, Hatstae, O’Reily Kuhn Maeda and Kyogo.

Hart , McGregor , Scales , Walsh and Forrest were free. Bernardo and Idahi are loans.

We aren’t being outspent ( out wage bill is higher) our recruitment has been shocking and for last six years we have been up against Fat Ange or Rodger’s who are better than any manager we have had.

Believe it or not I’m feeling positive here. They aren’t beyond catching with a good manager and decent recruitment.

Some of the concerns growing for me around the manager include a distinct lack of style that he’s trying to play, and we said the same under Beale.

Add to that his inability to learn from failures against Celtic this season both on personnel selections and formation/tactics.

Would be foolish to suggest he’s absolved from any blame and of course he’s currently far from the biggest problem, but in his first 8 months he’s already shown a fair few weaknesses.
That's a players default mode unfortunately. Maybe these same set of players can't adjust tactically under there 4th manager. Whole thing needs ripped up

Problem is we are not going to manage to off load most of the dead wood in one go,he has to be given time to rebuild the squad that could take 2 or 3 windows.
Either sell them or if they won't go put them out on loan,

We can't spend another season watching failure,
I would rather accept a financial loss on some of them than they get to stay,

Whoever comes in must be of a higher quality in every department,
In the past fee seasons we have brought players in but they have been worse than the ones that left

He's said he can't play like he would want due to players available.

Perhaps that pragmatism and playing in a way he thinks will get us results should be lauded rather than criticised for being no style evident

We've conceded 15 goals in 8 games. Any team with ideas of a title win with that defensive record would be laughed out the room by their rivals.

We can't play as Clement wants ? That's fine and I'm sure most fans would understand he needs his type of player to implement it. So what do you do in the mean time ? Surely you make yourself compact, tight and hard to beat and proritise organisation and structure over everything else ?

So why are we such a mess right now and have been for weeks ? Teams are walking through out midfield and defence. The gaps we leave are frightening. We're losing the same type of goal constantly. Our full backs cannot defend crosses or balls at the back post. Our centre halves can't deal with aerial balls or sharp movement on the deck. Hearts had about forty yards of space to run into every time they attacked our right hand side. At what point do we stop blaming the players for everything and start asking questions of the set up ?

Put Celtic aside for a minute. That's still 10 goals conceded in six games v Killie, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren and Hearts. And we're not meant to question what the manager is doing ?

The problem with fans analysing 4 pillars is that that each one could be the cause of the other

A player coming back from injury may not be in his best shape due to the threadbare nature of our squad

Take Ridvan today for example, could then be seen as being tactically out of position for 2 goals, mentally weak for conceding late and lacking technical ability defensively

A fully fit Ridvan follows the team shape better, has the confidence of being back fit and in form and his technique improves with each game under his belt again

It's why I disagree with so many when our team are described as bottlers or weak. I see it as an impact of a threadbare squad running on empty

You're talking in riddles now and I can't be arsed with it. I've asked what makes you think he's not the correct DoF for us and you haven't answered.
What makes you think he is?

It’s a perfectly valid response.

What has he done previously that makes you convinced our summer transfer business will be significant improved?

Is one of his pillars laziness?

I’ve never known a Rangers manager to accommodate so many lazy players. Players who don’t even have a technical ability to make up for it - Wright, Lawrence, Dowell, Lundstram all allowed to stroll around.
Hes playing with what he has at disposal so that is simply not true

We've conceded 15 goals in 8 games. Any team with ideas of a title win with that defensive record would be laughed out the room by their rivals.

We can't play as Clement wants ? That's fine and I'm sure most fans would understand he needs his type of player to implement it. So what do you do in the mean time ? Surely you make yourself compact, tight and hard to beat and proritise organisation and structure over everything else ?

So why are we such a mess right now and have been for weeks ? Teams are walking through out midfield and defence. The gaps we leave are frightening. We're losing the same type of goal constantly. Our full backs cannot defend crosses or balls at the back post. Our centre halves can't deal with aerial balls or sharp movement on the deck. Hearts had about forty yards of space to run into every time they attacked our right hand side. At what point do we stop blaming the players for everything and start asking questions of the set up ?

Put Celtic aside for a minute. That's still 10 goals conceded in six games v Killie, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren and Hearts. And we're not meant to question what the manager is doing ?
Surely a good manager plays to the strengths of who is available.

Got a striker that's not good at winning long balls? Stop playing long ball football.

No wingers fit? Change shape and don't play a formation that relies on wingers.

Midfield getting waltzed through every week? Change shape and pack the midfield.

Pish at defending and attacking set pieces? Spend time working on them and use a bit of imagination.

I watched Hamilton earlier score a goal using a "training ground" corner. When do we ever take a corner or set piece and think that looks like it's been worked on in training?

Unfortunately all we are seeing is him just using the same formation and same tactics every single week and hoping it works. I expect much of the same next week too.

Surely a good manager plays to the strengths of who is available.

Got a striker that's not good at winning long balls? Stop playing long ball football.

No wingers fit? Change shape and don't play a formation that relies on wingers.

Midfield getting waltzed through every week? Change shape and pack the midfield.

Pish at defending and attacking set pieces? Spend time working on them and use a bit of imagination.

I watched Hamilton earlier score a goal using a "training ground" corner. When do we ever take a corner or set piece and think that looks like it's been worked on in training?

Unfortunately all we are seeing is him just using the same formation and same tactics every single week and hoping it works. I expect much of the same next week too.

He's dealing with a bad hand for sure and I don't think there's a Rangers fan who wouldn't acknowledge that but it's the same mistakes and flaws every week since the international break.

Far too many want to lump every bit of blame on the players and tell themselves it'll be different when Phil gets his own players in. We've already committed £4m+ on Diomande who is spending every game watching the ball sail over his head as it heads to the corners for Dessers to chase.

Is one of his pillars laziness?

I’ve never known a Rangers manager to accommodate so many lazy players. Players who don’t even have a technical ability to make up for it - Wright, Lawrence, Dowell, Lundstram all allowed to stroll around.
You're spot on, the evidence of our performance over the last 10games is evidence to that fact

I’ll accept defeat if we actually fight and the manager doesn’t make the same mistakes with the midfield.

He cannot carry on with us being overrun in the middle
Correct we have to see some tactical nous from Clement against the filth or he will go the way of previous managers.

Look at his interviews the last couple weeks, he in barely hiding his absolute disgust at some of the players and I imagine he's lost his patience. Look at tav today for example, our "captain". He can't look at that and be anything but let down and disgusted.
Is there a presser from after that today ,haven't seen it posted

Thats the issue with folk right now

“The squads shite and needs gutted”

“Why is Clement picking these shite players”

“The managers shite, we shoulda won the treble”

Until Clement gets a chance to put his own team out hes working with both arms tied behind his back
100% this…

Phil has been desperately unlucky with injuries to Cortes, Sima, Ridvan & Danilo.

Let’s give him a chance. He also got us back in the title race when no one including us gave us a hope. He’s made a rod of his own back over achieving in the first 4/5 months in the job.

He’s inherited the shocking set of Centre Half’s that’s our biggest issue for me. Balogun is the only one I would really trust & his best days are well behind him.

Let’s hope we have a good summer regard recruitment because by god we need it.

The self contradiction on here is a pure buzz.

The squad is shite, but the manager is shite for not getting a title win out of them.

The week we sacked Beale, if anyone had said that come the end of the season we would have won our Europa league group by beating Betis away, won the league cup and within 5 games of winning a treble, not only would we have bitten a hand off, we would assume the person offering it was on crack.

Geez peace and recognise what this manager got out of the shitshow he inherited, is nothing short of fkin miraculous.

He has earned the time to build his own team. Get the fùck behind him.

Last edited:

I agree with much of that but he seems to be indicating that he knows what is needed going into the future. He wasn't my pick to be manager, but he is growing on me. My one concern is how long he gets next season, no matter what; we need to stick with him for the whole season though.

7 months and still has no idea what his best 11 is , worse record than Beale and playing long ball football that you see in the juniors.
It's not good enough
He has squad unfit, most are out injured. For all you can critic him this comment is fucking insane

His press conference is excellent today. I get the impression he actually despises a lot of the players and they disgust him.

From his appointment, Clement has stated he is looking to achieve a Rangers that is the best technically, tactically, physically and mentally.

Suffice it to say we aren’t close on any of those fronts. And to be fair, i don’t think anyone expected us to be when Beale got his jotters to now.

Technically - the quality in the squad needs a major lift. Once again the starting 11 leaves a lot to be desired and we need open heart surgery. We have plenty of players that struggle to do the basics.

Tactically - not sure what Clement has been trying to achieve with the team in 2024. I suspect lack of fitness, injuries, and generally having shit players has impacted this. But I doubt we as a support will be giving him too long into the new season to start seeing progress.

Physically - our players are made of rice cakes. An outstanding pre-season, a squad over haul, and a solution within the medical dept is required.

Mentally - arguably our biggest issue. And it can only be resolved by clearing out the current squad, and installing standards back at Rangers. Players who thrive on pressure and would kill to win.

The answer to all that unfortunately is £££££ and finding buyers for our contracted players.

All very well having an idea like these four pillars, but by %^*& are we up against it going into a new season again.
Physically and mentally really are linked the stronger you are the faster you are breeds confidence if you know you can out pace or Physically control a player you have more confidence.

Technically he can improve players but needs one with a certain level of skill

tactically is on the manager since Motherwell/benfica at home we have been all over the place.

Injuries hasn't helped but how we have played is strange

I genuinely feel that our gameplan is simply just banking on the fact our players are usually better than the oppositions. It's been the same for years.

There appears to be little rhyme or reason to how players are playing their positions. It's like they all have individual instructions that are a secret from each other. We don't try and develop any patterns and it results in a fairly chaotic attacking approach.

I also think that in the last couple of seasons a few well coached teams have developed in the SPL and they've looked far more organised than we have.

I'm hoping beyond hope that Clement can oversee a clear out this summer and start moving towards something positive next season
The injuries hadn't helped tbh players don't get to understand each other

Take tav/arfield/morelos/Davis you could read it like clockwork the moves they were going to make but it was well drilled movements

With gio we had that as well where he struggled was teams just sat back instead to cover the space and Couldnt make the same moves

How many times have we had an initial bounce back then fall into a shell under how many managers. Style of play under Gio, Beale and now Clement it's maybe the players who can't change and manager doing what can at current disposal.

I've been reflecting on Gerrard's time here more and more recently, and probably in the passage of time that's inevitable, especially when we experience the kind of failure of this season, and it's without doubt that he understood the character of a Rangers player that just hasn't existed in any subsequent transfer windows since he's left. I hope this manager understands this just as acutely, because unless we get character back into our dressing room we are quite probably on a repeat cycle at present; there is a distinct lack of character in our play these days, and the sense of togetherness that was once there seems alarmingly absent as well. Yeah, get players on ability, it's important, but ability is only one feature of what is required in a Rangers player; we have players better in ability to most teams they are up against right now, but who are clearly not up to the rather unique challenge that comes with playing for Rangers. The capitalution since the Motherwell defeat is arguably more reflective of the character of this side than it is purely in its ability.
I absolutely get what you’re saying, but people are very, very selective when looking back on Gerrard’s time. Outwith 55, we had losing to Accies at Ibrox and failing to win 3 games in a row at Ibrox just before he left - win 2 of those and Postecoglu doesn’t see Christmas. He won 1 domestic trophy. He did build a team, no doubt, and he’s a hero but it was miles and miles away from a great Rangers team that tore everyone to shreds.

From his appointment, Clement has stated he is looking to achieve a Rangers that is the best technically, tactically, physically and mentally.

Suffice it to say we aren’t close on any of those fronts. And to be fair, i don’t think anyone expected us to be when Beale got his jotters to now.

Technically - the quality in the squad needs a major lift. Once again the starting 11 leaves a lot to be desired and we need open heart surgery. We have plenty of players that struggle to do the basics.

Tactically - not sure what Clement has been trying to achieve with the team in 2024. I suspect lack of fitness, injuries, and generally having shit players has impacted this. But I doubt we as a support will be giving him too long into the new season to start seeing progress.

Physically - our players are made of rice cakes. An outstanding pre-season, a squad over haul, and a solution within the medical dept is required.

Mentally - arguably our biggest issue. And it can only be resolved by clearing out the current squad, and installing standards back at Rangers. Players who thrive on pressure and would kill to win.

The answer to all that unfortunately is £££££ and finding buyers for our contracted players.

All very well having an idea like these four pillars, but by %^*& are we up against it going into a new season again.
An excellent post but there are still plenty of gems out there that can be picked up for a decent outlay we just need to find them. Hopefully Koppen can dig up a few.

Some good points made here. We regularly come up against teams who park the bus and are well organised and disciplined yet we simply cannot do the same. Maybe next week will see a chantin tactics it’s a 1 offf game time will tell. But we need to be in their faces right from the first whistle they don’t like that at all. And hopefully someone sticks one on that wee rat McGregor an absolutely detestable piece of shit.

I absolutely get what you’re saying, but people are very, very selective when looking back on Gerrard’s time. Outwith 55, we had losing to Accies at Ibrox and failing to win 3 games in a row at Ibrox just before he left - win 2 of those and Postecoglu doesn’t see Christmas. He won 1 domestic trophy. He did build a team, no doubt, and he’s a hero but it was miles and miles away from a great Rangers team that tore everyone to shreds.
It needed investment first stage to get back playing in all honestly I think we got there quicker than they planned for.

There b in less c the problem Gerrard took risks on getting decent players in but knew they would need managed

Helander going out then balogun then went as he can't play every week which left us short but we got lucky with bassey that year

He was in a way lucky with the covid league ending early it asked time to recover for the next season for players when we won the league we deserved to fans our no fans we were the better team by a distance.

After no investment after 55 the team was always going to struggle unless younger fresh legs were put into the team.

I get the covid finances I get the issue but we really needed to add 3/4 quality players that summer and needed either big sale to make it happen or to find further investment.

If we did that then we would have got stronger we didn't and Gerrard could have started to replace our players that need managed

After seville we spent some money but spent chunks of money on neh and kept some to show profit in accounts.

With gio no one can say to me that he chose those signings which ultimately cost him his job though to me after the cl qualification he was done he looked deflated it was like promises were made then broken......

We are where we are through bad recruitment and bad boardroom choices.

We need get it right because if we don't then we could be really in trouble for a while

I don't doubt Clement's sincerity about wanting to change the mind set.Through out the club, quite frankly. But to do this properly, that costs money, and our board are not exactly renowned for splashing the cash!

I think once again, when all the costs are realized, they will once again baulk at this, and Clement will get told, if he hasn't already that they, and the recruiting team, will have to box real clever in the transfer market.If thsiany of this rebuild is to happen in earnest.
Which if that's the case, will once again mean waiting until we get others out the door first.
How many contracts finish at the end of the month, beginning of June?
Or, as most of us have surmized, one of our main assets leaves.
(Gee.I wonder who that could possibly be?)

If the goalposts are moved again, by the board, I for see us once again scrambling for signatures.Running around at the last minute trying to spend money we don't have, on players, we don't really want.Sound familiar?

But let's go with the positives for now, and get on board the "Clement Express".
And hope that Clement is just not talking this way, just to appease a very already restless support, and that he has been given the green light to revolutionize the club as he sees it!

Personally, I would like proof.And an early sign would be concrete evidence that even one or two deals are ready to be signed, sealed and delivered.As early as beginning of the month.For proper 'numero uno' targets.Not just bosmans out of contract.
Now that that would be a decent start, regardless of what happens in the Cup Final!
tbc

People saying next week is a must win for the manager when everyone agrees the players available aren’t up to it. What is he meant to do?

He needs to be given time ffs
this is the part that blows my mind that the same fans moan about squad then somehow expect PC to keep performing miracles which he did when first took charge & had to start winning instantly

Latest posts

Back