Clement "If you have a draw there you can still become champion"

You do understand the game hasn't happened yet?
You literally asked "If we draw the game and he's previously said it's a must win what can he say then?"

I answered your question by giving an example of what he can say in that scenario. My point being that he could have easily said yesterday "Yes, this is a must-win game" and it wouldn't have been a problem.

Going from most people's responses on this thread, I think most supporters would have preferred that kind of frankness and straightforwardness.

Where along the line did you get confused with my reply? Let me know if I can help you out any further.

Interesting that he appears to be saying now that a point wouldn’t be the end of the world when earlier in the season he stated that he felt that mentality wasn’t conducive to producing winners.

The players know the score. They know that it is up to them to get the victory required. Let's see if they have what it takes. 90 minutes is more than long enough to prove it. If they don't get the victory we have to accept that after 4 goes they aren't good enough. Simple as that.

Worrying if the manager actually believes that.

Today is must win. Absolutely no way can we draw today and hope that somebody does us a favour. Win or it's finished.

Worrying if the manager actually believes that.

Today is must win. Absolutely no way can we draw today and hope that somebody does us a favour. Win or it's finished.
If the Rangers players go out there today thinking a draw is ok we all know how it will end

I doubt very much he believes what he said at the presser, he knows as we do that to win the league we need to go there today and win, nothing else will do, its all or nothing today Phillippe, no half measures, make sure they are ready. FTP

I’m sorry but this is more shite talk by Clement
Yup and it’s like he’s not learning with the team he’s just picked it’s like Groundhog Day every time we go there same faces making the same mistakes then capitulation once the heat is on at least gerrard got his teams up to the task,I’ve still got hope for clement but it’s worrying his stance on team selection

We have to go there all guns blazing, nothing else for it. Get in their faces (I know...) from kick off and don't give them a second's peace. The fear/inferiority complex has to stop, but that might have to wait until most of this team are gone as it's baked into them.

Fail to win tomorrow and the title race is over. Simple as that.
Score goals collum cannot curruptly chop off. Plenty goals.
Set up well. Don’t make mistakes. Don’t be scared to allow them possession. Be brave. Be ready to counter.

Betis away.
No mistakes. Take the chances we always create. Kill gollums influence over proceedings.
Clearly not. What the hell should he say though?

If we draw the game and he's previously said it's a must win what can he say then?
Delusional now.

"I don't totally agree [that this is 'must-win' if Rangers want to become Champions]. If you have a draw there you still can become champion. Even if you lose but that's a really really long shot and too long a shot for me. But with a point also." PRESS CONFERENCE | Philippe Clement | 10 May 2024

I thought he nailed this media narrative bang to rights today. The narrative has been spun that Rangers have to win tomorrow but Celtic can draw, all in a rather obvious attempt to pile more pressure on the Rangers camp.

The scum have failed to win three out of four games against Kilmarnock this season. This idea that they're just going to romp to a victory at Rugby Park is laughable. Killie have beat them twice already and next Wednesday they could be fighting for fourth spot and a place in Europe.

I think our manager has been a master so far at dealing with the media, he speaks the truth plainly, calls out bullsh*t when he hears it and always bigs up the team and our chances of becoming champions.

The perfect man for the big seat at Ibrox imo.
These comments annoy me even more now in retrospect. Once again we didn't start playing like we wanted to win until we went 2 goals down.

It can hardly help when the manager is briefing the press that a draw wouldn't be a disaster. I'm not writing him off as a manager just yet but for me those comments were really poor.

We needed to win. We didn't talk or play like we needed to win.

These comments annoy me even more now in retrospect. Once again we didn't start playing like we wanted to win until we went 2 goals down.

It can hardly help when the manager is briefing the press that a draw wouldn't be a disaster. I'm not writing him off as a manager just yet but for me those comments were really poor.

We needed to win. We didn't talk or play like we needed to win.

I doubt very much he was saying the same thing in the dressing room that he was in public. It was a must-win, but in the event of a draw he had to keep the players believing there was still a chance, however remote it was.

My take on the pre match conference is this, he was wrong to say a draw could be enough and we could still win the league but, I believe he honestly thinks that team of players don’t have the mentality to deal with pressure of him saying or in fact demanding a win as they have proven time and time again they are bottlers.

I will be glad to see the back of quite a few of them.

My take on the pre match conference is this, he was wrong to say a draw could be enough and we could still win the league but, I believe he honestly thinks that team of players don’t have the mentality to deal with pressure of him saying or in fact demanding a win as they have proven time and time again they are bottlers.

I will be glad to see the back of quite a few of them.
I agree with you that Clement was trying to protect the team from pressure but my question is do you think that that is the right approach at Rangers Football Club? Do you think Gerrard for example would try and protect and mollycoddle players while he was in charge.

Rangers players should be able to live with pressure, with expectation. Gerrard understood that and understood the mentality required to win these games. It didn't matter if our budget was less than theirs, it didn't matter if they'd had the beating of us previously, he expected his team to win. And he pushed them to rise to that challenge.

I agree with you that Clement was trying to protect the team from pressure but my question is do you think that that is the right approach at Rangers Football Club? Do you think Gerrard for example would try and protect and mollycoddle players while he was in charge.

Rangers players should be able to live with pressure, with expectation. Gerrard understood that and understood the mentality required to win these games. It didn't matter if our budget was less than theirs, it didn't matter if they'd had the beating of us previously, he expected his team to win. And he pushed them to rise to that challenge.
They should and if they can’t they should be gone, but this is were Clement has my understanding they aren’t his players he never recruited them or most of them, we will hold judgement on the gaffer until he has this summer clear out but he will need a good if not exceptional start to the season to ease the pressure as they will be going for overtaking our trophy hall.

Any chance Gerrard would come back?

With Michael Beale as first team coach? Before his first OF game at Ibrox he he apparently told his players if they weren't up for playing today then they were playing for the wrong team
I didn’t want Gerrard to leave, I will always believe that Gerrard left because Park reneged on a promise to back him in the transfer market after #55. A diabolical decision and one we are still paying for.

Back