Clement isn't the problem

Sick of seeing people complaining about Clement and his team selection. He can only work with the players he's got and he's performed a miracle with them to even get us to this position.

The squad needs gutted starting with Tav, Goldson and Lundstram.

I've got a lot more faith in Clement than I did in Beale to get the recruitment right this summer. We need to give him time to get this right, another manager is not the answer.
Why keep playing them?

He's much the problem

Sick of seeing people complaining about Clement and his team selection. He can only work with the players he's got and he's performed a miracle with them to even get us to this position.

I've got a lot more faith in Clement than I did in Beale to get the recruitment right this summer. We need to give him time to get this right, another manager is not the answer.
Exactly. For those that are moaning about him, what manager could do more with the loosers we have in our squad?

Due to depth of squad he needed to use the so called main men. Now that the title has gone I hope he starts looking elsewhere and looks ahead to next season. Play the young ones on Sunday, if we get beat so be it. I don't think I could take a doing of them in the final.

Fast becoming the problem even though the players have collapsed like this several times?

Care to explain how he's is fast becoming the problem and not the players collapsing for the 5th year out of 6?
So we are saying these players are not good enough to beat Motherwell ,Ross County and Dundee?He should have them playing like there lives depended on it yet all we are getting

I don't know how anyone can still have total confidence in Clement moving forward
There is no way he can escape responsibility as he is the manager
Yes we have had injuries but he is still the manager with more resources than Motherwell, Ross County & Dundee put together.
We now have no style of play
We have players selected no matter how they perform whilst Cantwell for example appears to be treated differently to say Lawrence, Ludstram, atav, Goldson

We are now in an absolute less moving on to Sunday & his post match interview won't have helped with fans fears as to what's coming next

Agreed.

The common denominator seems to be the same players that have played under 4 managers.

There's no way every single one of them were bad managers.

The fans have been asking for a refresh but I think this is the straw that breaks the camels back and I can see a lot of fans turning their back because of atrocious decision making with transfer policy.

One thing that really does need to be established is how can they look like they're going to do a clean sweep to the arse collapsing. What exactly happened?

If you told me 8 of them had been informed last week they can leave in the summer, I’d believe you, that’s what it looked like tonight. Players simply are not good enough, the added pressure the title run in brings has proved too much to handle. Good players thrive, average players wilt. No surprise as most of ours either peaked 3 seasons ago or are damaged goods who’ve failed to make the grade elsewhere.

I don't think anyone is calling for his head and yes, the squad isn't the best, but some of the decisions he's made lately are questionable to say the least.

Wright in the old firm. Lawrence over Cantwell.

Dowell as a 6. Lawrence as a 6.

Lawrence as a 6 again today.

Sterling at LB.

Sima on the right, when he's got about 15 goals off the left.

A striker on the left wing. It's probably just for the best that we never signed Shankland. We'd probably be watching him play wide left.

All while players that actually play in these positions watch from the bench.

Even the subs were mental. Dowell on for Cantwell, who was poor, no doubt, but is more likely to give you something. At least move Lawrence up if you're taking Cantwell off.

Taking Sima off when you need a goal. Not fit enough to play 90 minutes? But fit enough to play 80?

Only Clement can tell us what's the thinking behind it but after hearing him talk a lot of pish after the game, I'm not sure we would get a truthful answer. We made one half decent chance the whole game and Clement would have us believe the Dundee goalie was possessed by the ghost of Lev Yashin.
I can’t really disagree with a word you’ve said mate.

I don't know how anyone can still have total confidence in Clement moving forward
There is no way he can escape responsibility as he is the manager
Yes we have had injuries but he is still the manager with more resources than Motherwell, Ross County & Dundee put together.
We now have no style of play
We have players selected no matter how they perform whilst Cantwell for example appears to be treated differently to say Lawrence, Ludstram, atav, Goldson

We are now in an absolute less moving on to Sunday & his post match interview won't have helped with fans fears as to what's coming next
I think he’s asked the players the same thing we’re demanding and they simply don’t have it.
They’re fine in most games (apart from vs the Tims) but when it’s come to the pressure of the title run in they’ve crumbled.

There’s several things I just don’t get, outwith his bizarre team selections, substitutions and interviews, and the fact the seems to take offence to valid questions by journalists.

1. We don’t have any style or patterns of play. You get away with this when scraping results but it’s completely unsustainable and it is reliant of moments of individual brilliance, a bit of luck, an impromptu combination, or a set play.

2. We were all in agreement when he came that he wasn’t under any pressure to win the league, so why not immediately put your stamp on the team and implement your long term style of play instantly? That means the core of the squad know it inside out and is easier for individuals coming in to adapt. Instead he’s adopted some form of aimless hoofball.

I mentioned it on another thread but when Fat Ange went in to Celtic, he implemented his style of play before he even knew the players names. Put his stamp on the team instantly. He was playing dross like Ralston as an inverted full back.

He didn’t have his players, but when he got them, they fitted in to the system seamlessly that everyone of their players knew inside out. I seen a lot of praise for their recruitment during this time in the sense that they hit the ground running. I’d argue this was more down to their manager having a clear, identifiable style that was easy for players to adapt to instantly. We do not have that.

What’s Clement going to do? Sign 5 players and then start trying to implement a brand new style a week before the start of next season? I fear what we are seeing now is the extent of the style we will be treated to.

I don’t want us to play fast, attacking football on the ground because it’s pleasing on the eye. It’s because it’s the way to beat teams in the SPL, not hoofing it forward and playing to their strengths.

3. What makes people think giving him time and his ‘own’ players will result in a drastic improvement? If anything we’ve regressed since his opening couple of months in charge and he’ll likely play that same brand of football despite having new personnel.

Not going to lie, alarm bells are ringing for me. Hugely concerning.

Depressing to think a few weeks ago I had us winning the treble and now we have folk wanting Clement out.

I agree his starting line up and delay in making subs the last few games has been frustrating. That being said he inherited an absolute shambles. I don't understand why we have suddenly crumbled but I do know we cannot continue to sack managers once a season.

Already seeing some fans wanting him gone. I'll put it down to frustration but how many managers should we keep replacing ? At what point do you decide to back the manager and get rid of the players who have failed countless managers ?
At what point do we finally get a manager with the backbone to get rid of said players?

Only the manager can get rid of these players… but clement is another one who is too much of a shitebag to get rid of them

How do you know that? He’s not had a pre-season to properly change things.

Daft thing to say.

How do you know that? He’s not had a pre-season to properly change things.

Daft thing to say.
I know that because he literally picks these same losers week in week out, Tavernier and Goldson.

If he had anything about him he would have dropped the captaincy from Tav as soon as he arrived, and also dropped him from the team as his weak pathetic mentality is not befitting a Rangers player never mind Rangers captain, the same goes for Goldson

He could easily have dropped Tav for Sterling and dropped Goldson for Balogun

At what point do we finally get a manager with the backbone to get rid of said players?

Only the manager can get rid of these players… but clement is another one who is too much of a shitebag to get rid of them
He has made one big decision so far.
Finally banished Scott Wright from the squad (after numerous times relying on him and being let down).
He is an easy target.
Time for other senior players to be dropped

Clement is fucking shite, mate. The guy is an embarrassment, get him to %^*&.

he has no style of play and hes picking the players. this is on him as much as the players
Gerrard, van Bronckhorst, Beale and now Clement. Started well but quickly dragged down to mediocrity. No drive, no fight, no self respect. The common factor is a group of players who haven’t got the pride to wear the shirt or the will to win wearing it. Disappointing.

He's part of it whether you want to admit that or not.

The business in the summer absolutely killed us. This squad were never good enough, let's face it. The fact Clement was able to close the gap, IMO shows we have the right man. Hopefully with his own players he's able to push us on next season.

He's part of it whether you want to admit that or not.
We've said that about the last 3 or 4 managers.

Clement has won titles so knows what it takes. We need to get our summer recruitment right for once and I think Clement is the man to do it.

Clément has only been able to bring in 3 players. Two have been injured during this slump and admittedly Silva has been poor albeit playing out of position to plug the gap left by Cortes.

He has improved 2 players hugely for me in Ridvan and Sterling again one injured during this slump and one out of position due to injury to the other.

I don’t see what choice he has had to play the bulk of the dross he inherited.

No back up RB
No fit alternative to Goldson
a collection of under achievers winding down there contracts in Lundstram Roofe Jack Borna

He’s made selection and tactical errors but he’s been turd polishing what he inherited. He needs a free rein in the summer and next season to develop his own team.

There’s several things I just don’t get, outwith his bizarre team selections, substitutions and interviews, and the fact the seems to take offence to valid questions by journalists.

1. We don’t have any style or patterns of play. You get away with this when scraping results but it’s completely unsustainable and it is reliant of moments of individual brilliance, a bit of luck, an impromptu combination, or a set play.

2. We were all in agreement when he came that he wasn’t under any pressure to win the league, so why not immediately put your stamp on the team and implement your long term style of play instantly? That means the core of the squad know it inside out and is easier for individuals coming in to adapt. Instead he’s adopted some form of aimless hoofball.

I mentioned it on another thread but when Fat Ange went in to Celtic, he implemented his style of play before he even knew the players names. Put his stamp on the team instantly. He was playing dross like Ralston as an inverted full back.

He didn’t have his players, but when he got them, they fitted in to the system seamlessly that everyone of their players knew inside out. I seen a lot of praise for their recruitment during this time in the sense that they hit the ground running. I’d argue this was more down to their manager having a clear, identifiable style that was easy for players to adapt to instantly. We do not have that.

What’s Clement going to do? Sign 5 players and then start trying to implement a brand new style a week before the start of next season? I fear what we are seeing now is the extent of the style we will be treated to.

I don’t want us to play fast, attacking football on the ground because it’s pleasing on the eye. It’s because it’s the way to beat teams in the SPL, not hoofing it forward and playing to their strengths.

3. What makes people think giving him time and his ‘own’ players will result in a drastic improvement? If anything we’ve regressed since his opening couple of months in charge and he’ll likely play that same brand of football despite having new personnel.

Not going to lie, alarm bells are ringing for me. Hugely concerning.
Difficult to disagree with any of that.

The idea that a manager that’s won multiple titles with different clubs is the problem when the usual suspects cause this team to revert to type when it comes to the crunch every season is insane.

As is the idea that he should come out after the game, tell the world his players have chucked it and he doesn’t know how to get them playing to any decent level.

Anyone who can command a transfer fee has to go in the summer, and the manager and recruitment director need every available penny spent on bringing in players who know how to win, simple as that. Every signing this summer has to be a hit.

We talk about rebuilds every season and then never actually perform a rebuild, time for that to change

I don't think Clements to blame but he's been here 7 months now and we have no style of play and team structure.

I am having my doubts to wether he will even be here next season as I think there will be at least 2 more humiliating defeats to come.

We al know the sqaud needs ripped apart but a Rangers reserve team should be enough to beat Dundee Ross county motherwell etc.

Already seeing some fans wanting him gone. I'll put it down to frustration but how many managers should we keep replacing ? At what point do you decide to back the manager and get rid of the players who have failed countless managers ?
Exactly this.

Clement got his team selection wrong in OF in particular but he worked miracles to get us on the run we did October - Motherwell loss.

We can't keep sacking managers ala Chelsea. It's time for the rotten core in the squad to be ripped apart.

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

If the "leadership group" are here next season, then on his head be it.

What’s his style of play? Cause all he seems to do is want his teams to hoof the ball up the park. Dundee on a far less budget passed us off the park in that first half. His teams are far to light and open in the middle of the park
This same group of players resort to these tactics under every single manager when the going gets tough, and you think its intentional tactics by Clement?

Tactically we are absolutely woeful, it hasn't been mentioned because of the run we've been on but the last 3 games plus Motherwell agave highlighted his tactics are flawed. Everything goes wide, the midfield is so disjointed its frightening, and long balls seem our only way to play. It's easy to blame the bottlers on the park but when Dundee Ross County Motherwell and Hibs can pass round our team there is a clear problem. Our press is aimless and rarely brings any joy and is part of the problem why we are so easy to play against. Possession is key in football and our turnover with constant long balls is a disgrace considering how easy other teams seem to play. Clement has major questions to answer and won't last long

This same group of players resort to these tactics under every single manager when the going gets tough, and you think its intentional tactics by Clement?

It's 100% intentional from the manager.

We're a long ball team and have been for months under him.

The issue for me isn't that we play long ball, it's that we're absolutely rubbish at it.

He’s not covered himself in glory in the past few weeks, let’s be honest.

Anyone who continually relies upon the core of losers in our squad is playing with fire when it comes to their job prospects.

I'm definitely wondering , has he lost the dressing room .
Well, the previous two managers since Gerrard have certainly suffered at the hands of our players for one reason or another. Beale was clueless to be fair but Gio wasn’t and the players soon did enough to get him the sack.

There is a common denominator in all of this and it seems to be the so called ‘senior leaders’ in our group.

I have to be honest, I am concerned about the style of football we’re playing, given our personnel especially but just in general, it’s bloody awful to watch. PC has done a great job so far but put simply, since the corner tactics lunacy against Benfica the other week, it all seems to have unravelled a little for him.

Let’s hope getting some of his own players in summer helps but there are a couple of little alarm bells at this point for me.

It's 100% intentional from the manager.

We're a long ball team and have been for months under him.

The issue for me isn't that we play long ball, it's that we're absolutely rubbish at it.

It's been far worse the last few games.

He actually might be, it is actually not out of the question he is the worst manager ever in the history of football and all he knows is long ball football (I don't actually think that)

One thing that needs to be applicable though is, he needs to be given time so that is actually known.

This board can not keep going from manager, to manager to manager to manager and giving them no time to change, resolve and root out the squad and shitting their pants at the first sign of trouble.

Clement has done enough that he needs to be given time, finance and backing to at least establish what his football is, what it looks like and what his squad would look like.

We can't keep turning on the manager every time, and the board can't go from recruiting a manager to shitting themselves in such short bursts

Last edited:

Great post OP.

From my perspective, he has over achieved with the dross he has inherited. We were a shambles before he arrived, he gave us a bit of pride back and put us in contention for the title.

We needed a clear out when he arrived, and we still need one now. I'd like to see the improvement after a decent transfer window or two under Clement.

Great post OP.

From my perspective, he has over achieved with the dross he has inherited. We were a shambles before he arrived, he gave us a bit of pride back and put us in contention for the title.

We needed a clear out when he arrived, and we still need one now. I'd like to see the improvement after a decent transfer window or two under Clement.
I personally would give him three transfer windows to completely revamp the squad.

It’s not just tonight, since he came in he’s been direct the whole time. But when your winning games you get away with it. This hoofing the ball up the park isn’t new, we’ve been doing it since he came in.

I don't think anyone is calling for his head and yes, the squad isn't the best, but some of the decisions he's made lately are questionable to say the least.

Wright in the old firm. Lawrence over Cantwell.

Dowell as a 6. Lawrence as a 6.

Lawrence as a 6 again today.

Sterling at LB.

Sima on the right, when he's got about 15 goals off the left.

A striker on the left wing. It's probably just for the best that we never signed Shankland. We'd probably be watching him play wide left.

All while players that actually play in these positions watch from the bench.

Even the subs were mental. Dowell on for Cantwell, who was poor, no doubt, but is more likely to give you something. At least move Lawrence up if you're taking Cantwell off.

Taking Sima off when you need a goal. Not fit enough to play 90 minutes? But fit enough to play 80?

Only Clement can tell us what's the thinking behind it but after hearing him talk a lot of pish after the game, I'm not sure we would get a truthful answer. We made one half decent chance the whole game and Clement would have us believe the Dundee goalie was possessed by the ghost of Lev Yashin.
Agree with every word you have written there. This miracle he has worked that people have seen, other than Betis away what results has he got that you shouldn’t expect a Rangers team to get?

When he's basically playing a 1 man midfield of Lundstrum and not playing Sterling in there who has looked our best midfielder not to mention the constant selection of Silva who is garbage at expense of Sima or Matondo. Yeah sorry he's getting criticism from me. And after his interview. I seriously doubt he's the man to take us forward.

Control the midfield you control the game.

Every week we have folk criticising Lundstram when essentially he is a one man midfield in against 3 sometimes 4. Look at last night how many times did Goldson and Souttar blootered the ball straight out of play. Lundstram has to drop deep to pick up the ball looks for his midfield then realises that the midfield is HIM.

Our last success v Celtic was with a 3 man proper midfield

Jack Lundstram Raskin.

2 of that three have been available for weeks, Sterling or King could have been the 3rd man, but no we play Sterling as a LB, think that is the 3rd game he’s started there and we’ve not won one. Celtic twice and last night (for what it’s worth he was equally bad on his strong side as RB v Morton)

Back