Clement on Sky Sports

I really hope that’s the case.

He certainly seemed to be suggesting a couple of weeks ago that both Tav and Goldson would be a big part of his plans for next season while he made little secret of his desire to retain Lundstram.

If privately he’s been planning to bin the three of them all along then he has me totally fooled.

Personally, when he spoke of big changes in the squad this summer I think he was referring to the players that are out of contract and the loanees who will likely return to their parent clubs. Add in another two or three who’ll almost certainly be sold and them’s your big changes right there, IMO.
I think folk thinking Tav and Goldson will not be starters next season will be disappointed.

If he doesn't change his tactics in the Cup final , regardless of who is and isn't available , we will lose
They know how we're going to play , and every time , we end up chasing the game because they've done the damage in the first half hour. Surely our manager must realise that by now. Let's hope.so.

Think there was a different demeanour to Clement today. Looks like he can’t wait to now get the cup final played and win or lose he knows this team and parts of the club need completely turned upside down and rebuilt.

I still have trust in him. My petulance & emotions got the better of me during and after the game on Saturday but now the dust has settled i see the brutal reality of things. This Rangers team is poor in quality, disjointed positionally, lacking in physical fitness & endurance and the injury situation beyond farcical.

Expecting Clement, and I won’t absolve him of his mistakes, to deliver a Championship with 3 incomings (one of which has missed months of the season) in Jan is possibly a step too far. I genuinely think if we had Sima, Cortes and Ridvan fit the 2nd half of the season it could have been different.

We need a complete rebuild of the first 11 an overhaul of the leadership group, a root cause remediation of the injury issues and possibly some additional coaches to help Clement like a set piece coach.

We need to back Clement and judge him when he has has an opportunity to address the issues at the club. Yes we have been here before and it might be wishful thinking but I think Clement is still worth backing

I think folk thinking Tav and Goldson will not be starters next season will be disappointed.
May as well start the "What do we think of McInnes?" thread now if that's the case. This has to change. Whatever their merits have been in the past, Tav will be 33-and-a-half by the end of next season, Goldson 32-and-a-half (having sustained a knee ligament injury now). There's only one direction their performances are going to go, and it's not up. And this is after a season in which Maeda causing Tav trouble with his pace has been a theme of our failure to take more than a point from them.

Think there was a different demeanour to Clement today. Looks like he can’t wait to now get the cup final played and win or lose he knows this team and parts of the club need completely turned upside down and rebuilt.

I still have trust in him. My petulance & emotions got the better of me during and after the game on Saturday but now the dust has settled i see the brutal reality of things. This Rangers team is poor in quality, disjointed positionally, lacking in physical fitness & endurance and the injury situation beyond farcical.

Expecting Clement, and I won’t absolve him of his mistakes, to deliver a Championship with 3 incomings (one of which has missed months of the season) in Jan is possibly a step too far. I genuinely think if we had Sima, Cortes and Ridvan fit the 2nd half of the season it could have been different.

We need a complete rebuild of the first 11 an overhaul of the leadership group, a root cause remediation of the injury issues and possibly some additional coaches to help Clement like a set piece coach.

We need to back Clement and judge him when he has has an opportunity to address the issues at the club. Yes we have been here before and it might be wishful thinking but I think Clement is still worth backing
If we dont win the SC , PC will be under extreme pressure at the start of the season.

If he sticks with the usual suspects without making an effort to offload or drop them then i dont see much hope for him.

May as well start the "What do we think of McInnes?" thread now if that's the case. This has to change. Whatever their merits have been in the past, Tav will be 33-and-a-half by the end of next season, Goldson 32-and-a-half (having sustained a knee ligament injury now). There's only one direction their performances are going to go, and it's not up. And this is after a season in which Maeda causing Tav trouble with his pace has been a theme of our failure to take more than a point from them.
[/have to say I just can’t link Tav and Goldson like they are the same grade of player and personality for this club .JT has a record that wildly surpasses CG and always will .

Tavernier to me could be here and I have absolutely no problem with that . CG simply cannot be a starter for us next season imo .

Big big difference with these cases but I keep seeing it not just in your post mate .

I'd rather not see them there but they've both 2 years on their contracts I'm sure so we would need to sell them as we can't keep those kind of wages on the bench or in the stand - who will buy them and pay the same wage?
I do get that mate but I'm sure it will be a priority for all concerned that they move and I'd be surprised if things aren't happening behind the scenes already.

I'm not so sure.

Clement was hoping to re-sign Lundstram. He might think that with a limited budget and so much required throughout the team, Tav + Goldson would be fine for another season.

Both are contracted and on significant wages that are unlikely to be replicated elsewhere.
Fines not good enough.
Clement must know to win things, they must go, whatever it takes.

If he doesn't change his tactics in the Cup final , regardless of who is and isn't available , we will lose
They know how we're going to play , and every time , we end up chasing the game because they've done the damage in the first half hour. Surely our manager must realise that by now. Let's hope.so.
Regardless of tactics and starting 11, the only thing going to stop celtic winning it are celtic. Ie if they have an off day.

This squad simply don't have them in it to beat celtic sadly. Anyone expecting anything different is in for more disappointment.

You have no idea how much I hope this is all bluff and bluster and he's just trying to keep the ship on track for the cup final. After that I hope he's got them all sussed and gets a high percentage of them to f*k.
It almost certainly is. He needs them to try and muster up a performance in the final, we know a lot of them wouldn’t take well to him going nuclear to the media about them.
Today is the first time he’s said there will be a mass turnover this summer, it’s the first indication that he’s been feeding the media piffle for the last few weeks

Why on earth would you even think he’s not got them sussed? Bizarre
It’s that annual time of the year when we see a lot of punters projecting what they want to see happen onto what they believe actually will.

So let’s look at everyone’s favourite whipping boy John Lundstram for a minute.

When Clement excuses his rashness in getting himself sent off and torpedoing whatever slim hopes we had of the treble by instead choosing to focus on what he has given him and the club this season up until then, not to mention his fairly public proclamations previously on how much he wanted him to sign a new deal, was all of that just for show? Is he really thinking, “I can’t wait ‘til I’m rid of this loser!”?

Or when he says that he sees Tav and Goldson continuing to play big roles at the club next season is this again just a bit of rudimentary psych 101? Is Big Phil actually lining up a size 14 to boot them out the main entrance the minute the season ends?

Or is it just what fans want to see happen and are more or less daring the manager to defy them?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve said before that I think these players have had their time at the club and it’s time for a change, but again this is what I’d like to see happen, not necessarily what actually will.

You have no idea how much I hope this is all bluff and bluster and he's just trying to keep the ship on track for the cup final. After that I hope he's got them all sussed and gets a high percentage of them to f*k.
Clement doesn't seem to be the type of guy who is afraid to make wholesale changes. Hopefully he can get rid of the deadwood and bring in players who can change the way we play.

Regardless of tactics and starting 11, the only thing going to stop celtic winning it are celtic. Ie if they have an off day.

This squad simply don't have them in it to beat celtic sadly. Anyone expecting anything different is in for more disappointment.
If we change our tactics then we might have a chance , as I said it we don't then we''ll lose. they aren't world beaters and are very capable of having an off day., on the other hand you could say the only thing stopping Rangers winning it is Rangers. I'll be there giving them my usual 100% backing

He’s got to do it , we’ve got the Cup Final to come. Wonder how many who “can’t be arsed going tomorrow “ will be greeting about not getting a SCF ticket….
Supporters attend regardless of results, end of.
He's always positive about them publically, Behind the scenes will be different

Didn’t sound too happy with the medical staff when talking about the injuries throughput the season.
I’m glad he noticed it’s been a running theme for a few seasons now. Hopefully that’s another area he’s got lined up for an overhaul. Our injury record just isn’t normal both in the amount of injuries we get and how long players are out for even with seemingly niggly injuries.

If we dont win the SC , PC will be under extreme pressure at the start of the season.
Totally agree said a few weeks on here.

If he loses against Celtic and we blow the league(which we have)and lose the Scottish cup final and he's not won an old firm in 4 then people will be fed up. Whilst I sympathise with the injury, the fact our team could not be set up to take advantage of the other games in which we dropped points then questions should be asked.

I mean Ross County just got hammered 5-1 by Motherwell

You have to add in the fact he might not get close to the transfer budget we all hope for and be forced to work with at least some of the same players next season

I just hope Lundstram is not one of them. He has resorted to the same form he showed under Beale after looking outstanding in the early days of Clement’s tenure. It seems to me he has downed tools again (or at least isn’t putting in the same effort) probably because the club hasn’t met his contract demands

We don’t need players with such attitudes

My gut tells me this is what he is doing. He’s a professional guy, he will say and do the right and proper things in the moment but when his time comes he will be ruthless
THIS! I hope you are right my friend. The first call is the captaincy, it must be removed from Tav as another year of him leading our club onto the pitch and in the dressing room would be a travesty. Secondly, those players that have consistently let the club down in big moments and big games must be shown the door. We all know who they are so there's no need to list them. Thirdly, recruitment is critical for next season. Get that wrong again and the consequences don't bear thinking about.

I’m glad he noticed it’s been a running theme for a few seasons now. Hopefully that’s another area he’s got lined up for an overhaul. Our injury record just isn’t normal both in the amount of injuries we get and how long players are out for even with seemingly niggly injuries.
I’ve always wondered at this level of football do we not just sign weak minded players who are more than happy for any excuse not to declare themselves fit,I’ve never thought professional players would do that but when you look at jack dowel and roofe I begin to think that way

He’s managing them enough to get through the final.Then hopefully he is ruthless.

He never won 3 league titles in Belgium with 2 different clubs by not being a winner, I am hurting as much as any bear atm but given the pile of broken jigsaw pieces he inherited we are where we are and sort of on track, this should be a big summer of remoulding/reshaping with the serial losers hopefully plying their trade elsewhere.

It’s that annual time of the year when we see a lot of punters projecting what they want to see happen onto what they believe actually will.

When Clement excuses his rashness in getting himself sent off and torpedoing whatever slim hopes we had of the treble by instead choosing to focus on what he has given him and the club this season up until then, not to mention his fairly public proclamations previously on how much he wanted him to sign a new deal, was all of that just for show? Is he really thinking, “I can’t wait ‘til I’m rid of this loser!”?

Or when he says that he sees Tav and Goldson continuing to play big roles at the club next season is this again just a bit of rudimentary psych 101? Is Big Phil actually lining up a size 14 to boot them out the main entrance the minute the season ends?

Or is it just what fans want to see happen and are more or less daring the manager to defy them?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve said before that I think these players have had their time at the club and it’s time for a change, but again this is what I’d like to see happen, not necessarily what actually will.
If he wants to sell Goldson you don’t push his price up by saying he has no future at the club do you?

He also needs to win a cup. Slating the players you need to deliver that cup isn’t going to make that job easier is it?

What he says in public is going to be different to what happens in the summer. Also we can’t sign a whole new squad. So some of these losers will be here next season.

Collum I think for blocking his run earlier
Tbf it was a nothing block as he reached his position in front of an opposing player anyway!

I would be pointing to the two player who let the ball be put in a dangerous area not that bassa Collum?

Can you please just copy and paste this to every single thread about our season and the manager?

Hes got to maintain some sort of positivity in public but behind closed doors one would assume it's a different story.

Tbh I would rather he did do that for now rather than throwing people under the bus publicly which will likely just cause the players to turn against him (assuming that they're currently onside).
It also significantly reduces transfer fees if he calls them all terrible.

Absolute nail on the head.

Everyone is going on about how Clement is just going to bin them all off, I expect a shocker of a new contract for at least one of the losers to blow our minds again.

If he wants to sell Goldson you don’t push his price up by saying he has no future at the club do you?

He also needs to win a cup. Slating the players you need to deliver that cup isn’t going to make that job easier is it?

What he says in public is going to be different to what happens in the summer. Also we can’t sign a whole new squad. So some of these losers will be here next season.
Your last couple of lines there are the most pertinent I feel. When he says he wants to keep Tav and Goldson personally I thinks he probably means it.

He’ll want to retain some continuity and experience and they would obviously provide that, especially with the likes of Lundstram, Jack, Barisic, etc all heading for the exit.

Clearly that won’t sit well with many on here, but it doesn’t necessarily mean both will be guaranteed starters, IMO. He’s already shown he’s prepared to drop Goldson and if it wasn’t for the amount of goals Tav scores I think there’s a good chance he’d do likewise with him too, but I won’t be at all surprised if both are still at the club next season.

Clement isn't daft. He's managed big personalities before and will know all about boxing clever with the media when it comes to outgoings.

If an offer comes in for Tavernier or Goldson then I'm sure he'd be open to it, particularly if it allowed him to reinvest in his own targets. But he's long in the tooth to know that both are still contracted for another two years on big wages and it's highly unlikely there'll be realistic suitors out there. If a bid from Saudi came in and the players were open to the move, it'd be a nice surprise, but I'm not sure either would fancy it.

Lundstram to Trabzonspor is seemingly done. Regardless of his dip in recent weeks, on the whole he's been a decent enough player for Clement. That said, I don't think he'll be losing any sleep about him going.

I’ve got to the stopped watching or listening to interview stages.

We know what follows next we have all seen this movie before.

Back