Clement's footballing philosophy

I stuck up for Gerrard even when we had poor results because i could see a plan and progresssion.

Gerrard made us hard to play against and tight defensively i see none of that now.
We seen progression season after season eventually winning us the title the better the squad got.
Even in that first season early away to UFA, down to 9 men but still a system, organisation and hard work, night and day to the crap we’re being served up now.

Not sure about this 'long ball' thing. I dont recognise that is the strategy being played out there
Sadly, i dont recognise ANY strategy at all. Other than pass, miss pass, fail to win tackle, eventually cross into Dessers or Silva who are the worst two you will see as recipients of high balls.
Give Clement the benefit of doubt just now, its going to be a helluva ride in first months of next season of he gets it wrong..

He always seemed to me like a pragmatic, rather than philosophy based manager. That’s a good thing.

However, I can’t agree with his decision making on recent team selections and our long ball approach to matches, particularly away from home.

He needs to take a different approach in the cup final to protect himself from criticism. If he does the same and gets the same result, he’ll rightly be in for a lot of criticism.

All they had to do was beat Ross County, Motherwell and Dundee.

Plenty of managers could have done that with this squad.

The team that play Motherwell at Ibrox -
Butland, tav Goldson Souttar Yilmaz, lundstram, raskin, Diomande, Sterling, mccausland, dessers.

The lack of quality in that from middle to front is astounding. Lawrence couldn’t start as 10 due to fitness and that was before he tried to shoehorn silva wide.

You are never winning a league with a front 3 of Sterling dessers and Mcausland.

Any manager in the world struggles with those players.

What I don’t understand and it’s not just him but pretty much every manager these days. The injuries to our wide men have been pretty important yet we still play the exact same formation regardless. Why not change it up and make the midfield a bit more robust with another body in there and play with a front two for example?

I grew up watching a Walter Smith Rangers side and he would often change the team to suit the game we were playing. Managers don’t seem to do that these days at all.
Exactly mate it's the actual definition of the word manager. Being able to manage a situation.

Does my head in so called managers that only have one way of playing.

Clement surely must have a football philosophy having won various titles and cups in Belgium. Also capped 38 times by Belguim who are always in top ten ranked international teams, some of their philosophy must rub off on him.

Perhaps, he doesn't have his own or type of player required to implement his style/philosophy over the last 8 months.
So then surely you show a bit of adaptability and forumulate a way of playing that suits what you have, no?

Last edited:
The team that play Motherwell at Ibrox -
Butland, tav Goldson Souttar Yilmaz, lundstram, raskin, Diomande, Sterling, mccausland, dessers.

The lack of quality in that from middle to front is astounding. Lawrence couldn’t start as 10 due to fitness and that was before he tried to shoehorn silva wide.

You are never winning a league with a front 3 of Sterling dessers and Mcausland.

Any manager in the world struggles with those players.
That’s a bit desperate, in my opinion.

He managed to beat Betis with a two out of those front three playing as well as Cifuentes, Lammers, Barisic and Davies playing.

You cannot look at that team against Motherwell and say ‘any manager in the world’ would struggle, that’s - with all respect - fucking mental.

Not true, there is a world of difference to the way we played under Gerrard to what we're watching now.
Even in his first season we could see a system, we were a well oiled machine, even with a squad that contained, Grezda, Middleton, Halliday etc.

Right now we are a long ball shambles of a team.

This is true, and we could definitely see progression over Gerrard's time - and very clearly in the games against Celtic.

But...

Gerrard came in the summer, and brought in (I think) 15 players in his first transfer window. He then brought in another 5 or so during his first winter transfer window (including Steven Davis and Glen Kamara, again from memory)

He was given the chance to mould his own team with guys he had selected and signed. His players were here because of him and wanted to play for him (not all were a success, of course.)

I don't know whether Clement will ultimately be a success or not, but I don't think it is fair to judge his style of play and progression etc against Gerrard where he hasn't yet had the same opportunity to put his mark on the squad.

Last edited:
That’s a bit desperate, in my opinion.

He managed to beat Betis with a two out of those front three playing as well as Cifuentes, Lammers, Barisic and Davies playing.

You cannot look at that team against Motherwell and say ‘any manager in the world’ would struggle, that’s - with all respect - fucking mental.

Your front 3 are dessers, not even going there about his ability but he has scored 20 goals.

You’ve then got Sterling who is a full back having to play wide right, out of position and an academy player who wasn’t going to make it only playing because of injuries.

League stats
Sterling - 0 goals 2 assists
Mccausland - 1 goal 3 assists
Diomande - 2 goals 0 assists
Raskin - 1 goal 1 assist
Lundstram - 0 goals 5 assists

Motherwell
Spittal - 9 goals 11 assists
Bair - 15 goals 6 assists
vale - 2 goals and 2 assists in 11 games

Embarrassing the level of team we had available to put out

Your front 3 are dessers, not even going there about his ability but he has scored 20 goals.

You’ve then got Sterling who is a full back having to play wide right, out of position and an academy player who wasn’t going to make it only playing because of injuries.

League stats
Sterling - 0 goals 2 assists
Mccausland - 1 goal 3 assists
Diomande - 2 goals 0 assists
Raskin - 1 goal 1 assist
Lundstram - 0 goals 5 assists

Motherwell
Spittal - 9 goals 11 assists
Bair - 15 goals 6 assists
vale - 2 goals and 2 assists in 11 games

Embarrassing the level of team we had available to put out
Motherwell are 8th in the table around 40 points behind us.

We’re surely not going down this route, are we?

Everything Belgian football fans say about him is the opposite of what this squad is capable of doing:

I suspect there’ll be big changes in terms of personnel in the summer.

You can't just rip everything up and do a pre season again when you are challenging on four fronts where you may only be getting substantive training sessions one day a week and a lot of the focus is on recovery. So you can only make minor adjustments.

Under Beale we had also moved to a system where Goldson had started to play a lot more low % long balls than we were used to watching under Gerrard and especially under Gio.

Add to the fact the squad is poor and its decimated with injuries and we were restricted in the January window.

This is why a lot of Managers don't like coming in mid season. Fans don't really appreciate how much it takes to change the direction of a squad.

I said it in another thread but some of our support are hell bent on making the club unmanageable.

I don’t agree he really implemented much of a style change when he first came in. We were just more direct and results picked up.

Gio and Beale did similar.

I’m starting to worry he just isn’t as good as we thought.

The squad has been completely mismanaged since 55.

Clement managed to get a tune out of guys that have more or less worked to their own pace and agenda for too long. That was never going to last.

He gets the summer and up until Christmas to show us what he's all about.

I don’t agree he really implemented much of a style change when he first came in. We were just more direct and results picked up.

Gio and Beale did similar.

I’m starting to worry he just isn’t as good as we thought.
I think that’s a very valid concern, as it stands.

If we need to endure the same tactical failings in the final, he’s cooked.

Everything Belgian football fans say about him is the opposite of what this squad is capable of doing:

I read the replies and one of them said, the team at Monaco wasn't up to the job. Well, there's your answer about what he took over. Getting us in with a shout of a treble is a success, on it's own.

I also mentioned yesterday about being very impressed watching bruges at the bernebeu. I didn't know who the manager was at the time, but to me, if not for an iffy var decision, they may have won that game. Ended 2-2, but Real knew they got out of jail that night. I am not aware of him against psg, but anyone who thinks this man has no clue about football, is clueless themselves.

Didn't know until anything about him tbh, till I read on here he managed bruges that night in Madrid and I immediately thought we have won a watch here. If we don't give him time and I don't mean 10 games into next season, then we are doomed for years to come.

This ^

There is a core group of players in our squad who should've been moved on a year or 2 ago.
After our run to Seville, this group of players hit their peak, and the trend was always going downwards after that.

Massive renovation needed this summer.
Back Clement, give him his stamp on the team, and we go from there with a young hungry group of players with a few hard nuts thrown in for good measure.

Oh how I long for a Rangers captain who would have had squad players up against the wall at half time on Saturday. Something which has been missing for years.
This is whats definetly needed

It's the players, they show up for a few games then totally collapse. They also somehow look totally nackered.

If clement persists with same players into next season then we should be worried but as of now I'm not. You can see with Cortes and Diomande that we are looking to different types of players from our usual these past few seasons. Could say same about Silva style, I know he's not been great but you can see what they type of style we are looking for. Pacy and skillful.

Let him get his own players and then we will see a different brand of football I'm sure.

I think this has been overlooked by the majority of this thread. This comment stood out a mile

"Totally not a bruges fan, but his team played the best football in the last years (for Bruges then, Genk also played well with Van den Brom and Vrancken) and really dominated the competition at that time. He is an offensive coach and likes to create chances via the wingers and have midfielders who infiltrate."

Basically joined us and we had one good winger. Midfielders who like to get forward, at the moment that's Diomande, god knows why Lundstram has suddenly stopped getting forward and has reverted to dropping back into the defence. He did the same thing under Gio and Beale, though.

I think he's been very pragmatic with this squad of players. It's a very limited group, we knew that when he arrived. The squad is unbalanced and lacks in several key areas. He's probably been too pragmatic at times recently, but that's mostly down to injuries.

It's a mess and absolutely awful to watch - and is not successful in any way shape or form.

He has one window to sort this shite out.
Tell you what, you keep this shite up about how much time a manager gets to have it all perfect, then your future years will be writing the same posts for a long time.

I don't know about anybody else, but has no one figured out yet, that having a rotating door of managers isn't working. We'll never improve until there is stability. So giving men a season will not work. Look around the football world and the proof is there.

The only winners in all this is celtic.

All they had to do was beat Ross County, Motherwell and Dundee.

Plenty of managers could have done that with this squad.

And plenty other managers wouldn't have got us back to the top..

Player's are at fault PC got the most he could out of the bunch of donkeys..

I think this has been overlooked by the majority of this thread. This comment stood out a mile

"Totally not a bruges fan, but his team played the best football in the last years (for Bruges then, Genk also played well with Van den Brom and Vrancken) and really dominated the competition at that time. He is an offensive coach and likes to create chances via the wingers and have midfielders who infiltrate."

Basically joined us and we had one good winger. Midfielders who like to get forward, at the moment that's Diomande, god knows why Lundstram has suddenly stopped getting forward and has reverted to dropping back into the defence. He did the same thing under Gio and Beale, though.

I think he's been very pragmatic with this squad of players. It's a very limited group, we knew that when he arrived. The squad is unbalanced and lacks in several key areas. He's probably been too pragmatic at times recently, but that's mostly down to injuries.
Or you can read that as he can only play one way, and has no adaptability.

These comments stood out to me as well:

“I think he is pretty flexible. In Bruges he played high tempo and high press, but in Genk it was more technical football. This just aligned with the culture and players at these clubs.”

“Before Bruges he had one hell of a season with Genk. Brought us our last title, and did this by playing offensive and creating lots of chances. It was a joy to watch. Gotta admit tho, he had maybe our best midfield ever with Pozu, Berge and Mali, a Samatta that was on his best level and Trossard who was terrorizing the left wing.”

“He took over one of the worst sides in the league and managed to turn them into a good team playing attractive football at Waasland-Beveren. Took over an unimpressive Genk and won the title a year later. Switched to Club Brugge and dominated the league the next 2 years. Took over Monaco in crisis half-way through the season and managed to still finish third.”

Unless he’s suddenly decided to abandon all the principles that made him a successful coach previously, then I highly doubt we’ll be playing the same way next season.

What I don’t understand and it’s not just him but pretty much every manager these days. The injuries to our wide men have been pretty important yet we still play the exact same formation regardless. Why not change it up and make the midfield a bit more robust with another body in there and play with a front two for example?

I grew up watching a Walter Smith Rangers side and he would often change the team to suit the game we were playing. Managers don’t seem to do that these days at all.
Some make football more difficult than it actually is and we seem to appoint them

We seem to forget the state of this team before he took over, at least he managed to put up some sort of title challenge as it looked like it would of been lost at new year..

The current team look incapable of following plan A let alone plan B,C or D

With Sima out the only person that look capable of scoring was Dessers in this team and that was bad enough

Let's really judge him when he has brought in a few of his on players and has a full pre season with the team
I agree mostly with your post, but I don't see a quick fix tbh, I'm patient and willing to wait and see improvements as time goes on. Not going nuts, because we lost a game of football and wanting a firing squad lined up at the training ground.

Having seen us on many occasions this year, I am a bit confused as to what the actual footballing identity is with this style. We more often than not revert to long balls which is a complete waste of time with one striker. We don't respond well to a press and it seems like most teams are now aware of this. The football hasn't been good enough and I would expect to see a style by now.

I get we have injuries and he hasn't brought his own players, but surely he would want to implement his own style as soon as possible.

On another note, I'm tired of this formation, it doesn't seem to be working and we don't need two holding midfielders against bang average teams in this league. Dessers and Danilo both look more suited to a two up top, or even Sima, but other than Sima and Cortez, nobody else has embraced those wide positions.

Am I missing something with out style of play? I think I am in the minority now pushing for Cantwell to be in this starting line up. We are so void of creativity and although his numbers are generally poor, you can see he has passion and ability. The whole shape doesn't seem to play to our strengths and why the feck does Scott wright keep getting brought into the biggest games when he isn't good enough for the poorer teams in the league. So tired of feeling demoralised as soon as the team sheet comes out. Sterling right wing is such a poor choice for me when he skillset is so much more suited to other areas.The last section has little to do with style but I felt like venting.

Lastly, I am so sick of the female reported asking the most benign questions imaginable. Why can't we have people ask the questions that everyone else is thinking? Before I even watch it I know the generic pish she will ask. Other countries are so much straighter with their questions, yet we continue with the same "how do you pick the team up after that result" pish. Why don't you ask him something of relevance, does my tits in.
The Football is poor because he inherited poor footballers. Simple as that IMO

Or you could read the entire thread on Reddit and see what @Monkey Butler just posted in relation to Clement from that thread.
I mean, we can read that and take it however you want, but very few people on here truly know how how flexible he was over there.

And, in terms of the eye test here, it’s been very much a shoehorning of players into a formation that suits have two fast wingers and it hasn’t worked.

I think he's trying to build a team of high pressing athletic players who run until the final whistle and never give up. He likes guys who are direct and forward thinking. He doesn't have the personnel just now.

Sterling, Ridvan, Dio, Sima and Cortes all look to have the attributes. Dessers has the attitude but not the quality. I expect signings who have a similar age and athletic profile. He'd rather a player who needs developing but will listen than a Cantwell looks at me type.
Agree completely with this. This summer will see that come to fruition i think

Not much any manager could do with this team. Long ball stuff was happening under Beale, and with Gio to a lesser extent. Our midfield is knackered, hence that tactic I think. Plus it does seem like Clement focuses more on attacking/direct play with his wingers, of which we've got McCausland and Wright... next season I think we will be a much different team
you obviously dont play fifa or fm;)

See the day we all know what the outcome in football is, then it's dead. That's why there is such a thing as a coupon buster. The Saudis beat Argentina, who won the trophy?
imagine if we sacked souness after hamilton
thank %^*& FF didnt exist in those days
i can just imagine the zoomers

We seen progression season after season eventually winning us the title the better the squad got.
Even in that first season early away to UFA, down to 9 men but still a system, organisation and hard work, night and day to the crap we’re being served up now.

I dont see any sort of tactical set up or patterns of play or shape out of possession.

Get the ball hoof it and play 2nd ball.

I mean, we can read that and take it however you want, but very few people on here truly know how how flexible he was over there.

And, in terms of the eye test here, it’s been very much a shoehorning of players into a formation that suits have two fast wingers and it hasn’t worked.

Except, there are comments on that thread alluding to how flexible he's been in the past at other clubs. From Belgian football fans who have watched him manage at 3 different clubs over there.

In terms of the eye test here, it hasn't worked recently, but there's been clear signs with Clement that given the time and the right players, it could work. His tactics got us back into the title race, they got us into the last 16 of Europe, they won us the League Cup and got us to the final of the Scottish Cup. This is with constant injuries and fitness issues.

It's been said repeatedly, he squeezed an awful lot out of that group of players, for months, and we've fallen short in the final stages of the season. It's devastating, and I'm just as crestfallen as everybody else is.

imagine if we sacked souness after hamilton
thank %^*& FF didnt exist in those days
i can just imagine the zoomers
You know something mate, that is exactly the kind of pish you would have had to read on here and yes, you have indeed made the point that the coupon buster is a real thing and very much still is.

We currently don’t have a style or identity of play.
Teams press us because our defence need two or three touches of the ball before moving it on.
Our midfield is slow and doesn’t contribute anywhere near enough goals over a season.
We have Dessers up front, who credit to him has scored goals but his overall game makes you want to burn your eyes out.
Injuries have absolutely fcuked us over the season, which is something that needs looked at.
Finally, clement is not without fault, I think he is too loyal to some players, some team selection do leave some of us scratching our heads and he must find a way to beat Celtic or he will be out of a job eventually.

I didn't follow Clement's career before he was mooted as coming to us, but by the time he was a serious option from what I was reading on here an elsewhere it did seem to me he was probably the best realistic appointment available to us at the time.

I do wonder whether if Clement had won the league cup and got us to the Scottish Cup final, but had done no more than steady the ship in the league itself there would be so much negativity brewing.

There was a philosophy and style of play for quite some time - pressing hard, passing at pace, looking to use our width, lots of movement in the middle, etc. We were all gushing about it and the manager initially and it’s why we were winning games.

To overlook that is unfair and unhelpful.

What we really should be asking, IMO, is why have we stopped doing all the good things we were doing and how do we get back to that next season?
You're right, we looked a completely different animal earlier under Clement.
Lately we don't look any better that we did under Beale or Gio...

I think injuries have done us.
Long-term ones and even the short-term ones.

Sima was an enormous loss for us. Enormous.
Cortes was beginning to show his abilities too and we looked so dangerous going forward.

Ridvan had really came onto a game and then lo and behold, picked up another injury.
I think it's hard to overstate how critical Ridvan is to our general play.

Danilo would have pushed on from his initial start. Yip he messed chances but scored a few too and for me, would only have improved. Even if he was just another option for striker, this would have helped.

Cantwell, Raskin, Jack, Balogun, the list is endless.

Surely, people can see that injuries have been the main factor in our demise over the past few weeks.

Cortes was beginning to show his abilities too and we looked so dangerous going forward.

Ridvan had really came onto a game and then lo and behold, picked up another injury.

Danilo would have pushed on from his initial start. Yip he messed chances but scored a few too and for me, would only have improved. Even if he was just another option for striker, this would have helped.

Surely, people can see that injuries have been the main factor in our demise over the past few weeks.
You can’t ignore the injuries but you can ask why we’re still playing a system that needs two wingers when we have none.

I’m not going out my way to be down on Clement here, but we’ve been at one game a week since the break and we’ve had LOADS of time on the training ground, and we’ve massively fallen away since then.

Nothing will change until we resolve the perpetual cycle of injuries at the club. Didn’t take Clement long to identify that when he arrived but will be harder to change it!

Injuries don’t give angry people a target to shout at though

You can’t ignore the injuries but you can ask why we’re still playing a system that needs two wingers when we have none.

I’m not going out my way to be down on Clement here, but we’ve been at one game a week since the break and we’ve had LOADS of time on the training ground, and we’ve massively fallen away since then.

We tried to play without any width at the start of the season under Beale, and it went really, really badly. It basically killed his Rangers career.

Been speaking a bit about this to pals this last few weeks

Normally when a manager comes in that's any good you start to see things in a very short period of time that you can relate to and link to the said managers playing style and philosophy

For example when they got a hold of Ange P you could see instantly what he was trying to do and to a lesser extent i could see what Gios direction and plan was as well.

7 or 8 month in i don't see one improvement or any sign of what his plan is other than he got a Beale like kick out of them at the start which then leads us to the players which he continues and better continues to stick by which is just weird as they will get him sacked.

Cup final will quickly lead to the first Old Firm of next season where if he doesn't win he's basically toast

I'll give him the next window to see who he ships out. If we have Tav as captain and he and or Goldson are still in contention to be starting next season...then I think we may have backed the wrong horse...again.

I felt very similar, they were horseshit. Clement did get a tune out of them initially and we know we have enough quality to win many of the games we haven't this season. I am not for a second wanting the manager out, far from it. All I want is some encouragement in the way we go about our football. The pace is painful, there is no bite, no fluidity and no confidence. This formation clearly doesn't have the correct players right now so why doesn't he change it until he can bring the right personnel? We are the definition of insanity, same mistakes every time. Every manager falling into the same traps as the last. We are the man utd of Scotland at the moment, doesn't seem to matter who the manager is because it always comes back to the same issues. We need a clear out and I really hope he is backed. I do think another issue is fitness. The fitness levels when Beale left were shocking and he likely needs a good preseason to rectify this. This may also account for the injuries. I think people on here take offence and people being critical of the manager but you need criticism to improve and move forward.
In that second sentence you could change Clement to any of our new managers and it still reads true, its just what these players do. They pick up form/wins for a few months (typically as there's no pressure as they have been so poor prior) then they revert to their usual self once the new manager feels he can trust them.

You can only play with pace if you have pace in the team. The little pace Beale left us with has been out injured for the most part this season. I think when we had them available you seen the style Clement wants to play and we were looking good. Then injuries took its toll again.

I personally think Clement has what it takes from what I've seen so far. However, i still don't think he's set up properly in the Old Firm games. For me we ditch the 10 and go a solid middle 3. So I'm happy to criticise him when i see fit. But, the volume of noise from some about him not having it (not saying that's you but the forum has been full of it) is pathetic when you take a step back and look at the squad and fitness he has to work with.

Fundamentally the board have fucked us.

They should have backed Gerrard and didn't.
They should have backed Gio and didn't.
They then threw money (and power) at Beale because of the last two and it was a disaster. I was never happy with his appointment and sadly my worries (and worse) came true.
They need to back Clement or we will have another Gio situation on our hands in 6 months.

I didn't follow Clement's career before he was mooted as coming to us, but by the time he was a serious option from what I was reading on here an elsewhere it did seem to me he was probably the best realistic appointment available to us at the time.

I do wonder whether if Clement had won the league cup and got us to the Scottish Cup final, but had done no more than steady the ship in the league itself there would be so much negativity brewing.
That's the main factor imo into the heightened emotions surrounding everything here, I felt it myself too after the Ross County game. I just felt sick and some of the worries and past feelings under Beale and Gio came back

Our expectations will always shift depending on the situation, that's natural, I just fear that we will start associating Clement with the past negative feelings from Beale and Gio. I dread yet another sacking in November and this vicious cycle starts all over again. It's already farcical and the 3 'resets' have damaged our club pretty badly... appointing Beale was a huge mistake. I'm happy with Clement as our manager he's no some top world beating coach, he will make mistakes, but I still believe he's one of the best options we could attain in our current position

I would liked to have seen a different formation occasionally but you have to look at the squad he inherited.

We had far more options for wingers, or certainly people who can play out wide, than we did strikers.

It made it very difficult to change the formation

Back