Club 1872 Blog – What We’ve Got Here Is, Failure To Communicate

Something i scratch my head at is there is a thread on this forum with a pretty in depth analysis from Kieran Maguire on where the money has been spent and has been received.

We dont have the stockpiles of cash that some people seem to think we have.

If people bothered to watch it then maybe we wouldnt have the millionth mind numbing thread on where the money is.

Maybe they have seen it and have other agendas though.......

As for communication....why on earth would the club reveal how much money they have available to spend, what their strategies are or their wage structures?

Im sorry if fans find it frustrating to not have every detail of the club clarified for them, but the truth is we arent privvy to that information.

Id love to know more but im happier knowing that our enemies know less
You’re far too sensible for this forum sir.

Not sure what you mean on the Bassey one. I am aware that Ajax had to release info to their Stock Exchange though. Can't be bothered going looking it up.

I tend to be in agreement with your comment that folk will make judgement calls based on which side of the fence they sit. However, I've been reading Maguire's stuff on multiple clubs for many years. It came across to me that you were suggesting his info had been 'planted' by the Board. I think that is a million miles away from being accurate - if it was, indeed, what you were suggesting. He's an expert in his field and has an in-depth knowledge of how transfers, and their payment terms, normally work. Doesn't follow that every single deal will be the same but its a fair working assumption that if 95% of them are structured in the same way then ours will be no different.

I too think our finances will be fine. I think folk have skewed what Roberston said when he mentioned the £20m and made his comparison with the EL. My thoughts are that he meant the difference between EL groups (budgeted for) and CL groups (not budgeted for) was a much lesser figure than folk think. In other words we've got more than we budgeted for (EL groups) but its not the £40m headline figure in the media.

Could we have spent an extra £5m? Probably we could. Maybe they'd have been wiser delaying the Ridvan signing until deadline day. I actually think they'd have taken less heat if they'd done that. Such is the mentality of some of the nutjobs on here. All about the 'optics' for way too many.
Agree with all of the above, and think we bought what we thought was required. Have we not been a bit unlucky with injuries to Souttar, Davies, Lawrence and Lowry. We can’t say there’s a pathway to the first 11, then block it. Gio clearly believes in King, McCann and Lowry.
What/who would we have spent an extra £5m on…without the benefit of hindsight?

It was good to be fair.

Very good. (Assuming the info is accurate about not a case of being economical with the truth - like Robertson has been when he said the CL and EL is much of a muchness in terms of financial return)

You’ve got to wonder that Maguire had a helluva lot on info on what we’ve spent money on, what our “forecast” revenue was from EL campaigns, CL participation, players sales etc.
Specific details that you would assume only people within the club would know…..
What? Like you think our Board might have spoken to him, maybe to make his knowledge a bit more specific to Rangers? Is that not how these guys build their credibility, not only through their expertise in the field, but also through engendering the trust of their information sources?

I’m not sure, to be honest.

If it is, I’d say they’re wide of the mark.

I don’t believe that there is a civil war in the Club – just Dave King wanting his shares bought, and Club 1872 being the useful idiots, in my opinion.
A fair assessment in my opinion, and maybe add in Paul Murray trying to re-establish some relevance.

Graeme park pushed for Pedro after his power point presentation that’s a fact.

As for a release clause of its 10 million and we accept 6 then all fair and well we agree terms with the purchasing club that’s between the clubs.

It might be that the add ons and sell on will make us over the 10 million but if he has a bad injury next week
we potentially have lost 4 million.
You keep telling me this is a fact. I sat and listened to Dave King at the agm. He tells it very different.

Were you on the sub-committee then?

You keep telling me this is a fact. I sat and listened to Dave King at the agm. He tells it very different.

Were you on the sub-committee then?
You believe what you want am out of this argument,
It was gone in to In detail at the time On here as well.

A fair assessment in my opinion, and maybe add in Paul Murray trying to re-establish some relevance.

I don't believe it is.

The board are united and pulling in the one direction; Dave King is an agitator from the outside; and Paul Murray, unless he has cash to bring to the table, is really an irrelevance now.

There's a lot to agree with in the article.

The fact it came from C1872 is a tad hypocritical especially re communication and the chasm between them and the club grows ever wider.

The club has its faults as they openly admit. They don't admit certain people in certain roles are bloody awful, certainly at face value.

C1872 I don't trust at all.
1872 are the mouthpiece of DK and are practically his ghost writers, respect where due to DK and for his contributions to the club however he is publicly trashing the club which is not helpful at all. On the issue of valuation the club could be valued at £100m which is a good, lowers the cost of borrowing for future redevelopment of the stadium for example however the larger shareholders are not sellers, possibly some of the smaller stakeholders would like a liquidity event however Bennet et al are not sellers.

Can’t disagree with the criticism of the style of some of the board and their attitude to the media in general that needs much work but, I’m sure they read all of the stuff we are writing here so I’d expect some improvement though generally speaking I think a lot of the comments are a bit harsh.

You believe what you want am out of this argument,
It was gone in to In detail at the time On here as well.
It was strongly rumoured on here at the time. But you’re telling the guy that he should “believe what you want” whilst you’re refusing to even acknowledge that what he believes came straight from the horse’s mouth.

The version you seem to be choosing to believe is that somehow whilst Dave King was Chair, another Director managed to appoint a manager without his involvement. His source is Dave King; yours is gossip, here-say and revisionist history. You’re not lending much credibility to your “argument“. Here is what King said:

The sub-committee worked extremely hard – and quickly- to pull together a long list of potential managers who applied for the position, as well as identifying others who we could possibly approach. This long list was trimmed and then a thorough desk-top evaluation of each candidate was undertaken in order to produce a final short list. This list was submitted by the chair of the sub-committee, Stewart Robertson, directly to me and I then had the opportunity to interrogate the list to my satisfaction and to ensure that the list complied with the underlying process. The next step was to conduct a formal interview process with each short-listed candidate.

After the interview process was complete and information had been obtained on salary demands and compensation payments, if any, the preferred choice was submitted to me for a final interrogation before being forwarded to the full Board for further scrutiny and approval. Ultimately, a unanimous decision was reached by the Board.

Last edited:
It was strongly rumoured on here at the time. But you’re telling the guy that he should “believe what you want” whilst you’re refusing to even acknowledge that what he believes came straight from the horse’s mouth.

The version you seem to be choosing to believe is that somehow whilst Dave King was Chair, another Director managed to appoint a manager without his involvement. His source is Dave King; yours is gossip, here-say and revisionist history. You’re not lending much credibility to your “argument“. Here is what King said:
I said he strongly pushed for him,

Let’s just put it this way I know all the Park’s I actually used to fix both Ross and Graeme’s bikes when they were kids and I worked for their Father who had an office in Parks Honda next to where the Oden used to be and he was in often not that he ever spoke much to me at that point as I was a minion and he’s not exactly the most friendly of people.
I worked for them on 3 occasions last of which was when they bought over Henry Bros in Glasgow 16-17 years ago.

I’ve been at Hospitality using their tickets in the members club Graeme used to use the other hospitality they had with the sit down meal I can’t remember what it is but he always used to come down after the games and speak to us.

I still have contacts high up in their
company all though probably a couple of years since I was in their company but if you don’t think Graeme speaks about stuff then you have no idea.

So any views I have of the Parks I haven’t formed from a distance that’s for sure.

Let’s just put it this way I know all the Park’s I actually used to fix both Ross and Graeme’s bikes when they were kids and I worked for their Father who had an office in Parks Honda next to where the Oden used to be and he was in often not that he ever spoke much to me at that point as I was a minion and he’s not exactly the most friendly of people.
I worked for them on 3 occasions last of which was when they bought over Henry Bros in Glasgow 16-17 years ago.

I’ve been at Hospitality using their tickets in the members club Graeme used to use the other hospitality they had with the sit down meal I can’t remember what it is but he always used to come down after the games and speak to us.

company all though probably a couple of years since I was in their company but if you don’t think Graeme speaks about stuff then you have no idea.

So any views I have of the Parks I haven’t formed from a distance that’s for sure.
Look Rio, whenever a club chooses a manager it’s got to be approved by the Board. There’s no doubt that GP was pushing for Pedro and believed he was the right guy. Previously we appointed Mark Warburton and it was other directors who were charged with the job of finding a manager, but it was still Board approved.

DK was the driver of Steven Gerard but the Board still had to approve. It’s simply ridiculous to keep blaming one guy for a wrong decision.

I accept you seem to know the Parks very well but not sure if that means you’ve got history with them that clouds your judgement?

All very interesting - and we all have people we know - but again:
...the preferred choice was submitted to me for a final interrogation before being forwarded to the full Board for further scrutiny and approval. Ultimately, a unanimous decision was reached by the Board.
I'm sure everyone pushed for their preferred candidate. But as you're desperate to damn Graeme Park for wanting Pedro then you need to damn King for the same poor judgement.

Look Rio, whenever a club chooses a manager it’s got to be approved by the Board. There’s no doubt that GP was pushing for Pedro and believed he was the right guy. Previously we appointed Mark Warburton and it was other directors who were charged with the job of finding a manager, but it was still Board approved.

DK was the driver of Steven Gerard but the Board still had to approve. It’s simply ridiculous to keep blaming one guy for a wrong decision.

I accept you seem to know the Parks very well but not sure if that means you’ve got history with them that clouds your judgement?

The board will have signed it off 100% but Graeme Is very pushy with things so I can imagine he got a fair bit of influence between him and his Dad.

Douglas Park is a Ruthless businessman and very very good at it he started with one bus and look where he is now he’s worth 10’s of millions of not 100’s of millions on paper a remarkable man.

Douglas isn’t super rich like a lot of the EPL owners though and for me has reached the amount of investment he’s ever going to make and I wouldn’t be surprised for him to look to get his money back at some point although that would be well within his rights. Douglas will Have seen this as an investment gamble which will highly likely pay off, Its also a prestige thing but I dont think he would have got in so heavy without Graeme.

I am grateful too everyone that’s put a penny in to get us to where we are I just honestly don’t think we are going to advance any further without a bit of additional investment and Douglas will be more than happy to play safe which isn’t a bad thing if your happy to watch the Beasts from the East over take our 55 very shortly.

All very interesting - and we all have people we know - but again:

I'm sure everyone pushed for their preferred candidate. But as you're desperate to damn Graeme Park for wanting Pedro then you need to damn King for the same poor judgement.
Pedro was the option as McInnes was who they thought was being signed until he pulled out after agreeing McInnes was Dave Kings choice.

''King signed kent and Helander and left the Board to pay the 27m or so Debt''

He left 27 million debt? Where are you getting that from?
From the ITK on here ( whom I trust ) and it is quite common knowledge among a lot of the more influential supporters who I know
That would make sense as to why the Board seemed reluctant to have a dialogue with him.
Also doing a 'Deal' with Club 1872 before informing the Rangers Board
I would love to know as we were told, if he had agreed to sell his shares to Club1872, how can he be trying to sell them elsewhere?
I'm not suggesting for a moment that Dave and Club 1872 made the agreement up to suit their agenda
Maybe there is a Nigerian Prince out there somewhere

Pedro was the option as McInnes was who they thought was being signed until he pulled out after agreeing McInnes was Dave Kings choice.
I think you will find that Derek was recommended to by someone close to him that he respected in football terms
Dave King said publicly that Mark Allen was the one that brought Gerrard to the table

My apologies I never realised you fixed the Boy's Bikes, everything you say from now on I will accept as fact

He fixed their bikes, not seen them for a couple of years
( that would be in the middle of Covid ) but knows everything that they are doing

My apologies I never realised you fixed the Boy's Bikes, everything you say from now on I will accept as fact
Listen just because you were bombed out of getting your place men on the board of Club 1872 which is basically why you’ve started being an arse about all this being from there don’t continue this with me we all know you have a massive issue with Club 1872.

For a board that’s supposed to be so water tight you seem to know a lot of sensitive information being only pub owner even telling us now Dave King left 27 million in debts for everyone else to pay.

I was explaining how I know the Parks you can’t even read properly as I’ve not spoken to Graeme for a long time way before they took over Rangers doesn’t know I don’t know what him or Douglas is like.I know very well one of his right hand men who I haven’t probably spoken to since before Covid as Partly I was stuck in Brazil for 8 months and mainly in the country for 2 years then moved to Aberdeen Pedro was in place years ago it’s not a new development.

Listen just because you were bombed out of getting your place men on the board of Club 1872 which is basically why you’ve started being an arse about all this being from there don’t continue this with me we all know you have a massive issue with Club 1872.

For a board that’s supposed to be so water tight you seem to know a lot of sensitive information being only pub owner even telling us now Dave King left 27 million in debts for everyone else to pay.

I was explaining how I know the Parks you can’t even read properly as I’ve not spoken to Graeme for a long time way before they took over Rangers doesn’t know I don’t know what him or Douglas is like.I know very well one of his right hand men who I haven’t probably spoken to since before Covid as Partly I was stuck in Brazil for 8 months and mainly in the country for 2 years then moved to Aberdeen Pedro was in place years ago it’s not a new development.
Are you referring to me and/or Ian Hogg?

Mr Marshall wanted on the board or influence over it whom he has any sort of influence over I couldn’t tell you, but you will know that better than me.

I understand why he’s so bitter about everything but he really doesn’t need to be condescending and be the way he’s going when its only a debate

Mr Marshall wanted on the board or influence over it whom he has any sort of influence over I couldn’t tell you, but you will know that better than me.

I understand why he’s so bitter about everything but he really doesn’t need to be condescending and be the way he’s going when its only a debate
But you said his placemen so therefore you must have had some one or other in mind.

Who were you referring to?

I’ve just answered your question above you have more idea who he has any influence over than me.

This full hissy fit is because this is an article from Club 1872.

I’ve just answered your question above you have more idea who he has any influence over than me.

You made a statement implying that Marshall had attempted to put in placemen - as far as I recall in recent years only Ian Hogg and I have attempted to stand for election to Club 1872 who were not part of their leadership circle. You've failed to answer my perfectly reasonable attempt to clarify the situation and have attempted to avoid a straight answer to a straight question. I'm simply not having that accusation.

You made a statement implying that Marshall had attempted to put in placemen - as far as I recall in recent years only Ian Hogg and I have attempted to stand for election to Club 1872 who were not part of their leadership circle. You've failed to answer my perfectly reasonable attempt to clarify the situation and have attempted to avoid a straight answer to a straight question. I'm simply not having that accusation.
Maybe he is referring to lj50, hillheadbear etc and others who were involved in try to implement regime change a while back?

Not sure if you were part of that?

You fairly get aboot fur a minion…..joking!

Have c1872 spoke out yet on the news from this morning? Or will they remain quiet due to Dave King being involved in the deal at the time?

The absolute state and hypocrisy of this post.He used to fix bikes so that's him an ITK VIP.B-)B-)

I have no influence in my own house never mind anywhere else
As for me trying to control anyone, I have no idea where you are getting that. Just for the record, I have no interest in controlling anything apart from our own businesses.
I was and I am still deeply angered by the way Club1872 Board has hijacked all the shares paid for by my fellow Rangers fans and the way they have been treated,
including the shares bought by the RST and Rangers First
If you had the fan's interest at heart, you should be as well.
We have a wee group of self-important individuals who have no interest in anyone but themselves who have basically voted themselves in for life, IMO a wee group that has no real interest in the broader fanbase.

They are controlled by Dave King for the sole purpose of getting Dave his money back, absolutely pie in the Sky.
They have a lawyer ( HA HA HA ) writing their statements, been in practically every single meeting, although never voted in, and they have the cheek to say he wasn't a shadow director

I asked for Volunteers to help in ousting these individuals and over 300 Members, they were Members at the time until Club1872 decided that they would be the only Members and the rest of us would be contributors. The Board kept their membership and can now decide on which decisions they can make at any time.
I got loads of people willing to help and I was grateful for the support.

I picked the four I thought were the most professional amongst the many that were offered. We then went public with the names, on one condition that I wouldn't have a vote and be a nonvoting Chairperson

These guys were unbelievably talented and the plan was they would run Club1872 for six months, for free, and then once we had a look at the books and made sure everything was ok.
We had no reason to think otherwise but I was bringing in a forensic accountant so that when the new guys / Girls were voted on they would be assured there were no surprises waiting for them and would have had an open election process.
When we made this public, Dave king phoned me and made an offer,
Two of our group will go on the Board and the two females would step down a few months later as he said 'Laura was too hysterical'
I repeated I only wanted what was best for the Club and he replied ' that's what we all want ( obviously not )
He said if the group accepted the offer they could look under the bonnet and see there was nothing wrong
( we never ever said there was )
He then said the guys, if they accepted the offer would need to would need to sign an NDA
We were asking for openness and they were asking us to sign an NDA
I said I would put it to the guys although I knew what the answer would be
I said I would tell everyone what I knew about what was going on at Club1872 and they retaliated by making an official complaint to Police Scotland that I was threatening the two females, absolute nonsense
They were hoping to shut me up but it's like pouring petrol on a fire.
Some of the lads who were willing to work for free had emails sent to their Companies trying to get them sacked, never going to happen.

They said Publictly that they would meet me... and guess what.... nothing

According to Dave, the real Solicitor was going to come up and meet me when a time suited, I said I would fly down and meet him in London or anywhere else, guess what... nothing
I will repeat these clowns need to leave Club 1872 and let people who really care about the fans take up the reins and get a positive dialogue with our Board
And back to your original post about me wanting influence, I said publicly then and will repeat it now, I have no interest in standing for any Fans group committee.
I have enough of my own business to keep me busy.
You say you know everything about The Parks, so you should already know everything I have just written

As for me trying to control anyone, I have no idea where you are getting that. Just for the record, I have no interest in controlling anything apart from our own businesses.
I was and I am still deeply angered by the way Club1872 Board has hijacked all the shares paid for by my fellow Rangers fans and the way they have been treated,
We have a wee group of self-important individuals who have no interest in anyone but themselves who have basically voted themselves in for life, IMO a wee group that has no real interest in the broader fanbase.

They are controlled by Dave King for the sole purpose of getting Dave his money back, absolutely pie in the Sky.
They have a lawyer ( HA HA HA ) writing their statements, been in practically every single meeting, although never voted in, and they have the cheek to say he wasn't a shadow director

I asked for Volunteers to help in ousting these individuals and over 300 Members, they were Members at the time until Club1872 decided that they would be the only Members and the rest of us would be contributors. The Board kept their membership and can now decide on which decisions they can make at any time.

I picked the four I thought were the most professional amongst the many that were offered. We then went public with the names, on one condition that I wouldn't have a vote and be a nonvoting Chairperson

These guys were unbelievably talented and the plan was they would run Club1872 for six months, for free, and then once we had a look at the books and made sure everything was ok.
We had no reason to think otherwise but I was bringing in a forensic accountant so that when the new guys / Girls were voted on they would be assured there were no surprises waiting for them and would have had an open election process.
Two of our group will go on the Board and the two females would step down a few months later as he said '

Some of the lads who were willing to work for free had emails sent to their Companies trying to get them sacked, never going to happen.

According to Dave, the real Solicitor was going to come up and meet me when a time suited, I said I would fly down and meet him in London or anywhere else, guess what... nothing
I will repeat these clowns need to leave Club 1872 and let people who really care about the fans take up the reins and get a positive dialogue with our Board
And back to your original post about me wanting influence, I said publicly then and will repeat it now, I have no interest in standing for any Fans group committee.
You say you know everything about The Parks, so you should already know everything I have just written

That is an absolute disgrace if true.

Did this really happen?

How were their employers contacted? By anonymous means or explicitly from Club1872?

Did this really happen?

How were their employers contacted? By anonymous means or explicitly from Club1872?
Every word of it is true. Don't be silly, Club 1872 hasn't the balls to do anything public. My Lawyer had to ask PS who the complainant was or it would be a 'no comment ' interview then he told me to say 'no comment' lol, that was hard for me not to speak

Did this really happen?

Yep. Two ways they went after me.

A small number of suspiciously-similar messages were submitted via my company’s webpage. People claiming to be “concerned” and wanting to ensure my fellow directors “were aware“ (they were) that I may be acting “illegally” (I wasn’t).

The incumbent directors of C1872 also put my employers name in a statement they released celebrating their (narrow) defeat of our contributors vote. When questioning at their subsequent meeting by another Contributor, they claimed that I had “used his employer to gain credibility”. To be clear I had never, ever publicly named my business. The awkward discomfort in their response to this question was genuinely entertaining to watch. Funnily enough, it was pretty much exactly at that point that the live recording of the meeting was cut short…

For what it’s worth, at the time I was doing my role on an interim basis because I felt the role would be best based in the US and I won’t move there for family reasons. My fellow directors, and owners, were so shocked and appalled by my ”conduct” that they did everything possible to persuade me to agree to take the role on a permanent basis.

So the petty little smear campaign had absolutely zero effect. But the signal it sent about the lengths the incumbent board will go to to protect their position was very obvious. And, unsurprisingly, others have been unwilling to stand for election since…

The board will have signed it off 100% but Graeme Is very pushy with things so I can imagine he got a fair bit of influence between him and his Dad.

Douglas Park is a Ruthless businessman and very very good at it he started with one bus and look where he is now he’s worth 10’s of millions of not 100’s of millions on paper a remarkable man.

Douglas isn’t super rich like a lot of the EPL owners though and for me has reached the amount of investment he’s ever going to make and I wouldn’t be surprised for him to look to get his money back at some point although that would be well within his rights. Douglas will Have seen this as an investment gamble which will highly likely pay off, Its also a prestige thing but I dont think he would have got in so heavy without Graeme.

I am grateful too everyone that’s put a penny in to get us to where we are I just honestly don’t think we are going to advance any further without a bit of additional investment and Douglas will be more than happy to play safe which isn’t a bad thing if your happy to watch the Beasts from the East over take our 55 very shortly.

You make alot of assumptions but the first point is douglas park is not an owner of rangers he is a share holder and is also chairman but that is only because he is on the board.

Rangers are huge but you are not going to make money from having shares in rangers in my opinion. No one is going to pay over the odds for shares and everything they have taken further shares that has in essence diluted there own share holding as well.

We as a club have to at some point learn to live within our means rather than constant loans or diluting shares to issue more shares.

The board should be applauded for the front end investment and for getting us through covid, but they did say last year we needed to become self supporting .

Maybe further down the line we will look for further investment but having just one owner is not the position I would want rangers to be in.

What happens if they are a spiv or there money runs out.

Also with ffp we are at a disadvantage due to our income

Are the board perfect no there not, do lessons need to be learned yes but they are trying to do the best for the club in my opinion

I have never joined Club 1872 as I have never thought it would work out with the way it was marketed and run.

It is really sad though as Rangers as a fan owned club would be ideal and remove the never-ending drama which has engulfed the club since Murray was forced to divest back in 2008.

Rangers is about more than business and turnover; we are never going to catch the English clubs for money and for me I would hate to see Ibrox turned into another soulless corporate football club devoid of history and traditions.

I would imagine there is many thousands that would sign up if they had a credible plan to get us fan owned. Rangers First had over 10k members at one point only 7 years ago, the current MyGers scheme gives an indication of what could be out there.

The reality is the biggest investors will always be the support, we put the most money in as a group each season and in my opinion would be best placed to secure us going forward. I can't see Club 1872 being the vehicle for it unless they are able to make big changes in how they communicate, at this point they would probably be better rebranding and relaunching the scheme entirely.

I have never joined Club 1872 as I have never thought it would work out with the way it was marketed and run.

It is really sad though as Rangers as a fan owned club would be ideal and remove the never-ending drama which has engulfed the club since Murray was forced to divest back in 2008.

Rangers is about more than business and turnover; we are never going to catch the English clubs for money and for me I would hate to see Ibrox turned into another soulless corporate football club devoid of history and traditions.

I would imagine there is many thousands that would sign up if they had a credible plan to get us fan owned. Rangers First had over 10k members at one point only 7 years ago, the current MyGers scheme gives an indication of what could be out there.

The reality is the biggest investors will always be the support, we put the most money in as a group each season and in my opinion would be best placed to secure us going forward. I can't see Club 1872 being the vehicle for it unless they are able to make big changes in how they communicate, at this point they would probably be better rebranding and relaunching the scheme entirely.
Or maybe they should all just resign

Yep. Two ways they went after me.

A small number of suspiciously-similar messages were submitted via my company’s webpage. People claiming to be “concerned” and wanting to ensure my fellow directors “were aware“ (they were) that I may be acting “illegally” (I wasn’t).

The incumbent directors of C1872 also put my employers name in a statement they released celebrating their (narrow) defeat of our contributors vote. When questioning at their subsequent meeting by another Contributor, they claimed that I had “used his employer to gain credibility”. To be clear I had never, ever publicly named my business. The awkward discomfort in their response to this question was genuinely entertaining to watch. Funnily enough, it was pretty much exactly at that point that the live recording of the meeting was cut short…

For what it’s worth, at the time I was doing my role on an interim basis because I felt the role would be best based in the US and I won’t move there for family reasons. My fellow directors, and owners, were so shocked and appalled by my ”conduct” that they did everything possible to persuade me to agree to take the role on a permanent basis.

So the petty little smear campaign had absolutely zero effect. But the signal it sent about the lengths the incumbent board will go to to protect their position was very obvious. And, unsurprisingly, others have been unwilling to stand for election since…
That is genuinely concerning. Sinister in fact.

This should be more widely known

Two of our group will go on the Board and the two females would step down a few months later as he said 'Laura was too hysterical'
I repeated I only wanted what was best for the Club and he replied ' that's what we all want ( obviously not )
He said if the group accepted the offer they could look under the bonnet and see there was nothing wrong
( we never ever said there was )
He then said the guys, if they accepted the offer would need to would need to sign an NDA
We were asking for openness and they were asking us to sign an NDA
I said I would put it to the guys although I knew what the answer would be
I said I would tell everyone what I knew about what was going on at Club1872 and they retaliated by making an official complaint to Police Scotland that I was threatening the two females, absolute nonsense
They were hoping to shut me up but it's like pouring petrol on a fire.

Thanks for that brief update.

That is genuinely concerning. Sinister in fact.

This should be more widely known
It was sinister. And it was talked about it a lot on here at the time. But... ultimately they kept control of the organisation. It really is going to take current Contributors to stand and to oppose them.

They’ve shown they will fight dirty - barring @mdingwall from standing, the smears of Rev McQuarrie, the lack of the (required by the articles) hustings of prospective candidates, the attempt to have us sign an NDA, the manipulation of the process of putting our resolutions to the vote…all matters of fact and record. Nor to mention other rumoured attempts to silence opposition. So Contributors have to stand for election knowing that it’s likely they’ll become embroiled in some pretty sinister stuff, and know that it will take a minimum 3 successful elections from decent people to wrestle back control of C1872 for its purpose and restore its credibility.

Honestly, I understand why people are put off. I hope some do though. If they could readmit me as a Contributor when they do (the incumbents summarily terminated our Contributorship) I’d appreciate it. I still believe in the ideals and purpose and I still want to help it be successful.

Last edited:
I don't believe it is.

The board are united and pulling in the one direction; Dave King is an agitator from the outside; and Paul Murray, unless he has cash to bring to the table, is really an irrelevance now.
Jeez, I’ll need to re-read the guys point again. I thought he said exactly the same as you, without the Paul Murray bit which was my additional view. For what it’s worth, I totally agree with your comments.

Back