Club being sued for £1.6m over Oz friendly

I'd hazard a guess that the money made from the Leverkusen friendly will be used to cover an out of court settlement. I believe the friendly was arranged as a solution to raise money to cover the anticipated cost of the decision to withdraw from the Sydney friendly tournament.
According to the majority on here, they are all bot going to this.

Its no coincidence that we have so much litigation flying around our club..... its reeks of incompetence

Who ever is responsible for our commercial contract scrutiny and sign off really should be fired

I don't blame the fan's I blame the fans stamping their feet so loudly.
It was a bad idea not consulting or discussing the deal in the first place, but the board pulled out of the contract at the fan's behest. You can't then surely wag your finger at the board again?

Fan power got what it wanted, but it came at a price.

I'd guess the Leverkusen friendly was put in place to cover it anyhow.
The board signed up to the friendly, they are absolutely deluded if they thought the fans would accept it.

The error was signing up to the friendly any consequences after that are the direct result of it.

The board are 100% to blame for any costs occurred.

The ticket prices for the Leverkusen game are cheap and will probably just about cover the cost of hosting Leverkusen.

This has been in the post since we withdraw.

At the time the club said they had not made the 1st payment to us by the agreed date which will be our defence for withdrawing.

This will likely be a settlement rather than go to court IMO.
So, basically paying out cash for something we should never have agreed to in the first place. It does make you wonder the collective figured for all these court cases and the player(s) we might have got if weren't constantly in court.

It wouldn’t be a huge surprise, the board clearly saw the reaction of the fans then looked for a way to get out of the contract.
100%. The board didn’t read the room. Crazy decision but even then if they’d communicated better from the start this could have been avoided.

Bisgrove is the commercial director on the board. He brought it to the table.

To be fair, and I am by no means a fan of him, its his job to bring it to the table, the CEO will have signed off on it.

This is on Robertson and no one else, Bisgrove will bring opportunities to the board, give them the numbers and then if it is at a certain revenue level it will need signed off from the board who should be taking the risks and rewards into account.

The only thing Bisgrove has done wrong in all this is try and come out and bluff his way through it, no doubt pushed out by Robertson who seems immune to scrutiny or actually telling the fans why he is making decisions he makes, which doesn't make it right.

To be fair, and I am by no means a fan of him, its his job to bring it to the table, the CEO will have signed off on it.

This is on Robertson and no one else, Bisgrove will bring opportunities to the board, give them the numbers and then if it is at a certain revenue level it will need signed off from the board who should be taking the risks and rewards into account.

The only thing Bisgrove has done wrong in all this is try and come out and bluff his way through it, no doubt pushed out by Robertson who seems immune to scrutiny or actually telling the fans why he is making decisions he makes, which doesn't make it right.
I dont agree mate. I think its on then both and tbh, the other members of the board should have known the reaction of the support when it was muted and just kicked the very idea of this to touch.

There were always going to be costs from pulling out of this shambles, the board should fund this themselves as it was a ridiculous idea in the first place.

Reactions: VGM
Given it was the fans who threw the toys out of the pram I suggest a crowdfunder to pay for butthurt over a meaningless friendly should be started to cover the bill.
The board will have the fans pay it anyway one way or another.
Ticket prices will be abhorrent for the next home cup tie or it'll get bumped over to our season tickets next season.

I dont agree mate. I think its on then both and tbh, the other members of the board should have known the reaction of the support when it was muted and just kicked the very idea of this to touch.

You can't give a guy a role with the explicit remit of bringing revenue into the club and then sack him for bringing a money maker to the table, if he signed off on it, and the numbers involved would generally say he didn't, then fair enough, but he has done his job by bringing it to the table.

If one of our guys comes to the board with an idea which could generate revenue but has a certain risk attached we aren't going to sack them, we weigh it up and then say yes or no and that point the decision is on the board, CEO or CO etc as long as the risks are properly explained.

Robertson is Scottish, he has been here since 2015/16, he knew fine well the reaction when this brought to the table and thought it was acceptable

Bisgrove was looking at the bottom line and presenting it to the board.

I'd hazard a guess that the money made from the Leverkusen friendly will be used to cover an out of court settlement. I believe the friendly was arranged as a solution to raise money to cover the anticipated cost of the decision to withdraw from the Sydney friendly tournament.
The Leverkusen friendly won't make any money.

It's £10 a ticket for adults. If we filled the stadium then that is £500,000. It will be half empty and a lot of the tickets will be kids. We will have to pay all the costs of putting on a match and Leverkusen will probably get a fee too.

Bisgrove fanboys assemble!

You can’t solely blame him, his job is to find companies, etc that will make the club money and present it to the board to approve or not. It’s clearly been approved by them.

Also gotta laugh at people complaining about the cost when most on here said that we should get out of it no matter the cost when it was announced.

People trying to blame the fans for this are seriously strange people. The fans rightly put an end to this sham - I want us having nothing to do with that club. This board are an absolute disgrace for trying to jump into bed with Paedo FC. Robertson et al - it’s time to go!!

And in any senior position like this, it is the job to consider any risks associated with a partnership.

The board are culpable and don't escape blame. Bisgrove is the one that identified it and defended it. He isn't fit for purpose.
Is this despite all the good stuff he’s done.

People trying to blame the fans for this are seriously strange people. The fans rightly put an end to this sham - I want us having nothing to do with that club. This board are an absolute disgrace for trying to jump into bed with Paedo FC. Robertson et al - it’s time to go!!
As much as you’re correct, did the Australian fans feel the same?

I was against the tournament from the off but if we signed a contract to go, we should have honoured it imo.
Contracts are two way. I dont believe for a minute we would agree to sign a contract that the game would be marketed as a celtic festival and a homecoming event. Im sure our statement said that the contract was deemed broken when this transpired

The board are so desperate for money that we sign off on deals without any kind of due diligence or consideration.

Then when it turns out to be a shit deal or just a terrible idea, we back out and get dragged into court for it.

The executive team and our legal briefs absolutely MUST be chased out of the club.
That’s easy enough, just buy their shares.

As much as you’re correct, did the Australian fans feel the same?
If they think Rangers should be playing Paedo FC in friendly matches then they aren’t in tune with the actual support and thus their opinions aren’t to be taken seriously.

The club should do a trip to Aus at some point so fans there can see the team - but not against the paedophile club.

Reactions: VGM
The board signed up to the friendly, they are absolutely deluded if they thought the fans would accept it.

The error was signing up to the friendly any consequences after that are the direct result of it.

The board are 100% to blame for any costs occurred.

The ticket prices for the Leverkusen game are cheap and will probably just about cover the cost of hosting Leverkusen.

I'd say that they may be liable but are not to blame.

Put it this way are you blaming the fans for missing out on 3 million+ income?

I've seen people discussing squad depth and the need for players. Spent wisely that could have brought in two, would it have helped with financial fair play? Would sponsors have made the income at the tournie even better?

I'm not getting into the ins and outs, but I was not as against the friendly tournie as a lot of others, I see comments about how much the scum are spending on players, and that's maybe a reason why.

You can't have it both ways, the Board pulled out at the fans behest.

That's just my opinion.

This whole scheme was stage managed and out of our control as soon as celtc, with the connivance of the organisers, made it all about them whilst we became no more than a makeweight.
I really hope there are strong grounds for us to throw this case back in the faces of the tournament organisers.
The Sydney James “Carry On“ cup should never have been a starter of course. No good ever comes from associating with the mhanks in any way.

Reports suggest Daily Record

Let’s wait and see, those 4 words above hardly have a great success rate. When court papers are live they are publicly available so why is it reports and suggest?

Ah ok Dave King ran everything.

The current board did nothing the whole time he was there and didnt get involved in any of the decision making?

Means Dave King gets the benefits of all the good things done in that time then though?
The Chairman carries the can no?
He’s the one who puts the signature on the final decision.
King wants Park ousted, why do we think that is perhaps because King isn’t happy with the decisions of the board.

If they think Rangers should be playing Paedo FC in friendly matches then they aren’t in tune with the actual support and thus their opinions aren’t to be taken seriously.

The club should do a trip to Aus at some point so fans there can see the team - but not against the paedophile club.
Australian fans aren’t the “actual” support.
Wouldn‘t be telling them that one face to face.

I’d hazard it’s used as an exercise to get players game time against a good side and will barely cover costs

The Chairman carries the can no?
He’s the one who puts the signature on the final decision.
King wants Park ousted, why do we think that is perhaps because King isn’t happy with the decisions of the board.
They are all as incompetent as each other.

I dont want King in as much as I want Park and the other incompetents who are costing us tens of millions to f.u.ck off.

Sick of useless bastards causing damage to our club.

Sick of folk defending them

If they had read the room before making the Fck up that they did, then we wouldn’t be in this position. What Rangers man would want us to enter a “friendly”tournament with that paedo apologist scum? Money before morals. Incompetence.

You can't give a guy a role with the explicit remit of bringing revenue into the club and then sack him for bringing a money maker to the table, if he signed off on it, and the numbers involved would generally say he didn't, then fair enough, but he has done his job by bringing it to the table.

If one of our guys comes to the board with an idea which could generate revenue but has a certain risk attached we aren't going to sack them, we weigh it up and then say yes or no and that point the decision is on the board, CEO or CO etc as long as the risks are properly explained.

Robertson is Scottish, he has been here since 2015/16, he knew fine well the reaction when this brought to the table and thought it was acceptable

Bisgrove was looking at the bottom line and presenting it to the board.
I know Bisgroves remit mate but, clearly this Sydney cup was always going to be a non starter and you'd only need to have worked with us gir even a short period of time to know Bisgrove should have booted this idea.

Was there not also something about us and them getting the same payment for taking part but it turned out they were getting a fair bit more? And this was also a reason for pulling out along with them not using the Old Firm Tagline?

The organisers are only filing the suit now because they lost money on the whole thing.

Celtic on their own and Everton didn’t bring in anywhere near the draw they needed, in spite of the Ange wank fest.

We took a long time to get out of the deal, look at the protests that went on and nothing was done. We found a loophole and used it. I don’t think the organisers have a leg to stand on.

The reputation damages are just as bad as the financial ones just now and that Robertson, Blair, Bisgrove and members of that board are still there despite the constant embarrassments is a disgrace. Sadly I doubt we’ll get the time to put the proper questions to this board at the AGM.

Back