Compliance officer

ThomasMRFC

As I’m studying law at college there was a conference on today and one of the people who attended was Claire white (sfa compliance officer) we were able to speak in small groups of 4/5 so I got to ask her a few questions . She explained the process of how the whole thing works. Basically she gets the referees report and then has to decide wether the incident in it was a breach of the rules and if she believes it is then she issues the notice of complaint. She then has to prepare her case as to why the person deserves the ban. She’s basically like the prosecutor in a legal sense and the clubs/players have their own lawyers basically with the defence and as we know it’s then a tribunal that decides. If the incident wasn’t mentioned by a ref then the ref gets asked and if it wasn’t seen the same procedure as above applies. I also asked how she feels about the media attention and when managers slate her in public . She replied saying she just has to believe she made the right decision and has to ignore the background noise from papers, pundits and fans or managers. But she understands football in this country is more important than life and death to some. I don’t agree with every decision she’s made this season but I obv wasn’t going to ask her specifics as she wouldn’t be able to go into details . She seemed pleasant and polite enough but and it was a interesting chat.

As I’m studying law at college there was a conference on today and one of the people who attended was Claire white (sfa compliance officer) we were able to speak in small groups of 4/5 so I got to ask her a few questions . She explained the process of how the whole thing works. Basically she gets the referees report and then has to decide wether the incident in it was a breach of the rules and if she believes it is then she issues the notice of complaint. She then has to prepare her case as to why the person deserves the ban. She’s basically like the prosecutor in a legal sense and the clubs/players have their own lawyers basically with the defence and as we know it’s then a tribunal that decides. If the incident wasn’t mentioned by a ref then the ref gets asked and if it wasn’t seen the same procedure as above applies. I also asked how she feels about the media attention and when managers slate her in public . She replied saying she just has to believe she made the right decision and has to ignore the background noise from papers, pundits and fans or managers. But she understands football in this country is more important than life and death to some. I don’t agree with every decision she’s made this season but I obv wasn’t going to ask her specifics as she wouldn’t be able to go into details . She seemed pleasant and polite enough but and it was a interesting chat.
Aye very good but did you pump it?

Aye very good but did you pump it?

For the love of God, I hope didn't ......

0_18331763.jpg

To reply to a few she didn’t say how she picks decisions that weren’t in the refs report or not seen. I think she deliberately tried to stay away from the subject and because I was in a professional place I didn’t really want to push it to much . Everyone including me has their own opinion but

She’s been a lawyer all over the place. She applied to be a fiscal twice and got rejected twice. So went to America and studied then back to London and then back here where she eventually became a fiscal for 12 years before getting the job with the sfa

Limp wristed my friend...….
Why didn't you ask her why no one from Bheast FC was cited, when there was overwhelming evidence shown on the TV

If that was your best effort at cross examination, may I suggest conveyancing?

My main question outwith her allegiances is what she actually knows about football?

She is making decisions that effect players livelihood and imho she knows nothing about football

Does she review all 90 minutes of professional football in Scotland each week. For instance, did she review all 90 minutes of Arbroath or Stirling Albion games.

Or does she just review Rangers games for missed incidents.

mentally challenged cunto.
Sportscene is her go to.

My main question outwith her allegiances is what she actually knows about football?

She is making decisions that effect players livelihood and imho she knows nothing about football

I don’t think she knows that much other than anything she watches as a fan. She may be classed as a sports lawyer now but before she got her current job . All her previous work was mostly criminal law. The sfa obv appointed her as a lawyer with the 3 man panel on the tribunal being the football people /refs

She says she issues notice of complaints to every league from the premiership to the highland/lowland (they just don’t make the papers) so no she can’t watch every game .

Did she tell you which Emerald CSC bus she travels on?

If that was your best effort at cross examination, may I suggest conveyancing?

Hahaha fair enough but I wasn’t going to go on a pure attack on her when I’m in a room full of potential future employers on specific matters . I mean there’s people out there much more qualified than me that can’t get answers. She prob would have dodged anything she didn’t want to answer and I would have looked like I had an agenda against her

So if we take Alan McGregor’s incident with Lewis Ferguson as an example,ref never seen it so im guessing it wasnt in his report,so who brings it to her attention?

To reply to a few she didn’t say how she picks decisions that weren’t in the refs report or not seen. I think she deliberately tried to stay away from the subject and because I was in a professional place I didn’t really want to push it to much . Everyone including me has their own opinion but

What would’ve been wrong in asking “ how do you pick decisions out that aren’t in the referees report and weren’t seen at the time ?”

It’s a straightforward question .

I suspect the reason it’s never been answered is because It’s sportscene footage , and if she admits to that then she’s admitting it’s manipulated by their editing team and so isn’t worth a Fck .

So if we take Alan McGregor’s incident with Lewis Ferguson as an example,ref never seen it so im guessing it wasnt in his report,so who brings it to her attention?

I’m gonna assume she does watch highlights of the games somewhere . Prob a package the spfl send her. If asked she would prob say she does so on the back of her own opinion of the incident and the option for appeal is there. Now whether you believe she’s baised is another matter

What would’ve been wrong in asking “ how do you pick decisions out that aren’t in the referees report and weren’t seen at the time ?”

It’s a straightforward question .

I suspect the reason it’s never been answered is because It’s sportscene footage , and if she admits to that then she’s admitting it’s manipulated by their editing team and so isn’t worth a Fck .

She would never had admitted that if true . She would just say in her own opinion she believes a rule was breached. That’s what she said about incidents in the match report and she would prob say the same applies to those that weren’t

That's the crux of the whole issue with the Compliance Officer. Probably Sportscene informers and grasses.

She would never had admitted that if true . She would just say in her own opinion she believes a rule was breached. That’s what she said about incidents in the match report and she would prob say the same applies to those that weren’t

But she must see them somewhere , and that somewhere must be tv . Common sense tells us that . So it wouldn’t exactly be a big “ reveal “ .

Basically we all know that’s where it is , but in the murky world of Scottish football it’s left unsaid .

It’s trial by sportscene and I hope she’s out of a job shortly .

Hahaha fair enough but I wasn’t going to go on a pure attack on her when I’m in a room full of potential future employers on specific matters . I mean there’s people out there much more qualified than me that can’t get answers. She prob would have dodged anything she didn’t want to answer and I would have looked like I had an agenda against her

Surely Harper Macleod are not the only Glasgow law firm? :))

You could have taken a chance, impressed a bear who's a Senior Partner and already have your first job offer.

If Donald Findlay had been there I'd be marching up and down the hall whistling The Sash.

That's how the yahoos seem to operate?

So really she is confirming what we all think to be true then,she has the final say on who gets ban or not.Are we to believe she is not accountable to anyone then ,well we dont believe that the amount of thuggery Brown gets away with proves that beyond any doubt.

I would like to know what percentage of incidents we’ve been cited for are away games compared to home games seeing nearly if not all of our away games are on the telly

Last edited:
So really she is confirming what we all think to be true then,she has the final say on who gets ban or not.Are we to believe she is not accountable to anyone then ,well we dont believe that the amount of thuggery Brown gets away with proves that beyond any doubt.

Yeah it seems that way from what she was saying . She issues the notices then she prosecutes against the club/player and the 3 man panel decide

Without the benefit of a personal interaction most of us already know her criteria for who, why and how she cites players.

Could have asked her what school she went to but again, most of us already know or could guess the answer to that one too.

Don't be too hard on the OP. he had limited time with a diverse group of people trying to question a trained lawyer. Hindsight is great and I'm sure we can all think of better questions that should have been asked.

As someone trained in the law and in the RC educational system, lying plausibly comes as second nature. Personally I wouldn't believe a word she says anyway. And in answer is a question she wasn't asked - Is she biased? Of course she is, even Perry Mason couldn't defend her on that one.

Back