Could FIFA change the World Cup to a November event. ?

FIFA have 211 member associations each of whom have a vote on where future World Cup finals will be held. UEFA have 55 member associations of those 211. So Europe has only about 25% of votes.

This is the summer for the Southern Hemisphere and a lot of associations are located there and in the tropics, where there tends to be less variation in daylight hours and as long as the extreme temperatures for their midsummer are avoided could be future candidates.

Europe has a population of approximately 3/4 billion which is only 10% of the World population. Sponsors, as we know from out CL TV share are interested in numbers to who they can reach with their adverts. Consequently a tournament in say China would be very acceptable to sponsors/advertisers.

If there are other nations keen to stage future tournament, and the next one being spread over half a continent with Canada, USA and Canada, opens the door to other multiples, I can see perhaps only very fourth finals being staged in Europe. Europe, to my mind, has displayed an arrogance about Qatar that is likely to work against it for the future. Reposts from those who have attended seem to be pretty much universally complimentary about the organisation and tournament generally with not a lager lout in sight.

So yes another (our) winter, Southern Hemisphere summer tournament is, I believe, highly likely.
I reckon we could well see a tournament being held in China soon, especially as they've got a growing middle class with plenty of disposable income for the sponsors as you mentioned.

Money is the only thing FIFA are interested in, so I reckon it wont be every fourth time, it'll still be in Europe once every 3 times instead of the old switch between there and South America, there isn't enough other Southern Hemisphere countries where it would be commercially viable apart from a maybe one off Oz and NZ.

I must admit it has been good having a world cup in the bleak winter months when there is not much to do, ive enjoyed it so far, definitely not been terrible like people predicted.

It's been ideal for the WFH fans but I'm away into the office today as nothing on!

Tbh I'd prefer football to go that way. Not traditional but considering the weather here and in most northern European countries, it would makes sense for fans and the pitches to move to that calander.

I'll also admit having it in winter, has made me watch more games. No choice between a day in sunny weather or Qatar vs Senegal.
And like golf have an off season where you go chase money, like glamour friendlies

If the WC went down under, nobody in Europe could watch it unless games played in the middle of the night.
Wouldn't be 100% right that mind would it? I have sat and watched 3 back to back NRL matches from 6am through to 1pm many times on a Saturday morning.

Back