Cracking article about the Rangers/HSV fan relationship in "Football Weekends" magazine

beowulf

Football Weekends magazine is a glossy, European-style football magazine. Current issue has a 5-page article in the friendship focus section. Contains interviews with fans of both Hamburg and Rangers and the reasons why they have become in effect "brothers in friendship". Well worth a read, also as a bonus there is an article this month about The Pride of East Belfast - Glentoran FC.

I have been over in Hamburg and we were treated like royalty.
Both teenage sons had their Rangers tops on.
Got plenty of photos with local fans.
Inside the ground a family sat in front of us had half Hamburg ,half Rangers scarfs ,and kept us up to date with the score from Ibrox that had kicked off a bit earlier.
We sat at the end of a row ,and most going by us gave us a "no surrender" ,in their best German accent.
Pity the game was shit 0-0 v Leverkusen.
Great atmosphere and the Germans know how to treat supporters.
We were staying in Bremen and your match ticket gave you free travel to the match ,and you could drink as much alcohol inside and out.
The thing that struck me about German supporters ,apart from being very loud , was the little trouble between support.
We left from Bremen train station ,and there were Bremen ,Bayern Munich (they were playing one another ),Hamburg and Leverkusen supporters milling around ,but all seemed gentle banter.
Imagine Rangers ,Celtic ,Aberdeen and Hibs supporters congregating in Queens Street.

Is the Glasgow HSV supporters' bus still on the go? They used to pick-up at the (sadly no longer) Glaswegian Pub in Bridge St.

A workmate of mine went to Hamburg a couple of years ago and reckoned it was a really rough and dangerous town.

Inside the ground a family sat in front of us had half Hamburg ,half Rangers scarfs ,and kept us up to date with the score from Ibrox that had kicked off a bit earlier.
We sat at the end of a row ,and most going by us gave us a "no surrender" ,in their best German accent.
We were staying in Bremen and your match ticket gave you free travel to the match ,and you could drink as much alcohol inside and out.
The thing that struck me about German supporters ,apart from being very loud , was the little trouble between support.
We left from Bremen train station ,and there were Bremen ,Bayern Munich (they were playing one another ),Hamburg and Leverkusen supporters milling around ,but all seemed gentle banter.
Imagine Rangers ,Celtic ,Aberdeen and Hibs supporters congregating in Queens Street.
be like west side story on acid

Went for a mates stag in 2016 for a match v Dortmund, was brilliant, beat 4-2 I think though, Aubamayeng first half hatrick, stag was sleeping that whole half and missed it :D

When my boy is old enough will deffo take him over for a game.

A workmate of mine went to Hamburg a couple of years ago and reckoned it was a really rough and dangerous town.
It is rough in parts like, St Georges past the Station is bad. Great drink though as a whole, Street Pros a constant issue in centre and a pain in the arse mind, been same for 20 odd years.

Always look for. Hamburg score. Seems to be a solid fan relationship, but not a mentally challenged love us love us type relationship, which is a boak fest. If I'm ever over there, I don't doubt I would try and see Hamburg, and be in amongst their support.

Was there for the friendly in 2011 and went back for a stag weekend and went to a Leverkusen game where they won 1-0.

Cracking stadium and will definitely go back.
I was at that game too and what an excellent time was had. Blooming cold mind you but dont think we were sober enough to get too frozen. Still go over once a year to catch a game.

Last edited:
Football Weekends magazine is a glossy, European-style football magazine. Current issue has a 5-page article in the friendship focus section. Contains interviews with fans of both Hamburg and Rangers and the reasons why they have become in effect "brothers in friendship". Well worth a read, also as a bonus there is an article this month about The Pride of East Belfast - Glentoran FC.
Done tour of stadium aked what team I supported said rangers gave a big smile then she said no surrender made my day back in. 2018

I was at that game too and what an excellent time was had. Blooming cold mind you but dont think we were sober enough to get too frozen. Still go over once a year to catch a game.

We bumped into a load of Bears in the Tankstelle from the Gary Clark loyal after the game. Sure I’ve got a few photos somewhere.

Cracking weekend but like you say it was freezing.

I’ve had a hamburger in Hamburg!

Been there about 4 times, always in transit, so I’ve only been around the station. The first time I ent into a pub and there was a poster of a skeleton injecting. The next time there was an armed robbery on the station.

To my mind not the best of destinations

Honestly is not. Cracking place for a weekend. Has everything to cater for all. Been twice and would go back anytime.

Going to football is excellent. Feel quite at home!

Was drinking in the Beerhaus in Munich before the BM/Shalke game and it was a 50/50 mix of supporters not a bit of trouble. Loads of families there too. Love the German football experience.

Been to Hamburg three times, favourite trip was probably the night they beat Dortmund 3-1, anytime I've been over there's always a decent amount of Rangers fans over for the weekend, it's a cracking place for a weekend on the bevy.

I hope we can get get a pre season friendly over there when life goes back to normal, I went to the friendly in 2011 but it was midweek November so the Reeperbahn was pretty dead in comparison to a weekend.

Was drinking in the Beerhaus in Munich before the BM/Shalke game and it was a 50/50 mix of supporters not a bit of trouble. Loads of families there too. Love the German football experience.
Agree mate.All grounds i have been at in Germany have railway stations at the ground with free travel with a match ticket.
Remember being at Dortmund and the Signal Iduna train station ,down the hill from the station being evacuated because of an unexploded bomb from World war 2. Stuck for 4 hours.

The Bundesliga marketing department have done a smashing job the last few years, and tickets are reasonably priced for a top product and match-day experience.

Been across to Germany a few times seen 1860 Munich when they were at the Allianz Arena, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Cologne, Monchengladbach, Hertha Berlin and Wolfsburg.
Not a bit of trouble and a good atmosphere at most games, would definitely recommend it to anyone for a weekend trip across when this bloody virus clears up

Been across to Germany a few times seen 1860 Munich when they were at the Allianz Arena, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Cologne, Monchengladbach, Hertha Berlin and Wolfsburg.
Not a bit of trouble and a good atmosphere at most games, would definitely recommend it to anyone for a weekend trip across when this bloody virus clears up
1860 Munich aka TSV used to be THE team in Munich and are considered more working class than Bayern. The great man himself Beckenbauer supported 1860.

Been over 6 times for various games. Always a good weekend. Due to go in May but doubt that'll happen.

1860 Munich aka TSV used to be THE team in Munich and are considered more working class than Bayern. The great man himself Beckenbauer supported 1860.
Lived in Munich 2013 for 2 years, Giesing is 1860 territory where they play. Was very unfortunate to be there when the Club and support scene was at a low. Been to 46 out of the 56 Grounds in the top 3 tiers in Germany. Not all tickets are cheap though, bit of a myth especially in Bundesliga.

Hamburg is a great city. I've been quite a few times and the only bother I've had was once on the Reeperbahn when The Sh* te that is ST Pauli were playing. Been in the Tankstelle numerous times & The London Bar for the fitba. Favourite pub is the Elbeschloss Keller, an absolute zoo of a bar, even my mate from Hamburg won't go in there and he can't believe I took the missus in there :D

Hamburg is a great city. I've been quite a few times and the only bother I've had was once on the Reeperbahn when The Sh* te that is ST Pauli were playing. Been in the Tankstelle numerous times & The London Bar for the fitba. Favourite pub is the Elbeschloss Keller, an absolute zoo of a bar, even my mate from Hamburg won't go in there and he can't believe I took the missus in there :D
I’ve been in there, there are a few that are bloody moody!

Anyone got a link to a thread that was on here recently that explains how the Rangers & Hamburg friendship came about?

It was a really informative thread.

Anyone got a link to a thread that was on here recently that explains how the Rangers & Hamburg friendship came about?

It was a really informative thread.
Sherbrook, I am the OP, I read the article in the current Football Weekends magazine, and there are various theories of how the two fan groups got together which are quite well explained from a German and Scots' perspective.

Sherbrook, I am the OP, I read the article in the current Football Weekends magazine, and there are various theories of how the two fan groups got together which are quite well explained from a German and Scots' perspective.

I thought it was a different thread from this one, bud.

The one I’m thinking of was a fairly lengthy post hat explained our link to Hamburg really well.

I’d say the Bundesliga is my favourite league in mainland Europe. Good teams, good fans and I appreciate the structure of club ownership too.

Borussia Mönchengladbach have always been my favourite team as I went to see them a lot as a young lad when we lived close by (dad in RAF) in the late 70s. What a team they had then, Bonhof, Vogts, Simmonsen etc. Regularly in European finals.

On the Hamburg front I recall watching Kevin Keegan playing for them v Gladbach. A lot of excitement about him then, cracking player of course, they loved him. And other than Gladbach I obviously have a spot spot for Hamburg given the Rangers connection that has developed. I would love to make a trip to Germany to take a match in at Gladbach’s new stadium and at Hamburg. On my list when we can travel again, either one trip or a couple of weekends.

This is the thread I was thinking of:

I’d say the Bundesliga is my favourite league in mainland Europe. Good teams, good fans and I appreciate the structure of club ownership too.

Borussia Mönchengladbach have always been my favourite team as I went to see them a lot as a young lad when we lived close by (dad in RAF) in the late 70s. What a team they had then, Bonhof, Vogts, Simmonsen etc. Regularly in European finals.

On the Hamburg front I recall watching Kevin Keegan playing for them v Gladbach. A lot of excitement about him then, cracking player of course, they loved him. And other than Gladbach I obviously have a spot spot for Hamburg given the Rangers connection that has developed. I would love to make a trip to Germany to take a match in at Gladbach’s new stadium and at Hamburg. On my list when we can travel again, either one trip or a couple of weekends.
To be honest I wasn't that impressed by Gladbach when I went, just a bit too out of town, although plenty of places to drink at once there - Bokkelberg will have been much better I expect when you went. Good fan pub outside Gladbach Station, had a few beers with some older Bears from Ayrshire when we went - Humboldt Schanke it was called, worth looking up if you go.

To be honest I wasn't that impressed by Gladbach when I went, just a bit too out of town, although plenty of places to drink at once there - Bokkelberg will have been much better I expect when you went. Good fan pub outside Gladbach Station, had a few beers with some older Bears from Ayrshire when we went - Humboldt Schanke it was called, worth looking up if you go.

Thanks, good advice. Yes it was the Bökelberg when I was a lad, great atmosphere, very lively, as an impressionable youngster 8-10 years old it’s what probably sparked my love of football as these were the first matches I actually went to. Not to the pubs, but I’ll certainly be doing that whenever I get round to visiting :))

I thought the connection came about as a lot of Scots moved to live and work in the Hamburg area during the 70's and most of them were bears who then adopted Hamburg as their team to make up for not being able to see the Rangers on a weekly basis.

Alan Simmonsen what a player! Think he actually won European player of the year 1977.

Alan Simmonsen what a player! Think he actually won European player of the year 1977.

Yes he did, 77 indeed. He was a fabulous player for Gladbach, at a time they were regular European finalists. Good goal scorer but a real clever player overall. He went on to Barca for a few years after Gladbach, left when Maradona arrived.

Yes he did, 77 indeed. He was a fabulous player for Gladbach, at a time they were regular European finalists. Good goal scorer but a real clever player overall. He went on to Barca for a few years after Gladbach, left when Maradona arrived.
A Charlton Athletic fan at work raved about his time in south London.

Back