Cyriel Dessers talking of receiving verbal abuse.

Blue Jay

I caught an interview with Cyriel Dessers earlier from Sky Sport, which was made after the match on Saturday. In the interview he talks about him coming to Rangers, his hopes for success and the difficulties he's had. He stated he'd been aware he'd had a difficult start and explained that once he settled-in his performances and scoring would improve. One of the sad things in the interview was when he explained he'd received a lot of messages he could only describe as abuse and still did from people.

To be honest I really felt sorry for the boy, as when discussing the abuse, he still kept that big smile on his face, that's been there all Season.

Now I'm no gonnae argue that it's not been difficult for the boy at times, when he's missed some chances that should have been put away, we know that. But I for one wouldn't do a character assassination on him, he's always there, he gives 100% all the time and whether he scores or not, he doesn’t hide and is always looking for the ball. He's scored 22 Goals and had 5 assists, yes he could've scored more, but this Seasons problems are not all down to him, and people need to remember that. Yep, the boy needs to be calmer sometimes in front of goal and maybe not take that extra touch, but he's one of our own FFS, constantly bombarding the guy with abuse isn't gonnae help him. People need to give the boy a break, but unfortunately we're in a time when all these Keyboard Commandos get their kicks out of sending vile abusive messages to others.

As I said, irrespective of what people feel about his goal scoring on the park, 'he's one of our own, give him a break FFS'.

I caught an interview with Cyriel Dessers earlier from Sky Sport, which was made after the match on Saturday. In the interview he talks about him coming to Rangers, his hopes for success and the difficulties he's had. He stated he'd been aware he'd had a difficult start and explained that once he settled-in his performances and scoring would improve. One of the sad things in the interview was when he explained he'd received a lot of messages he could only describe as abuse and still did from people.

To be honest I really felt sorry for the boy, as when discussing the abuse, he still kept that big smile on his face, that's been there all Season.

Now I'm no gonnae argue that it's not been difficult for the boy at times, when he's missed some chances that should have been put away, we know that. But I for one wouldn't do a character assassination on him, he's always there, he gives 100% all the time and whether he scores or not, he doesn’t hide and is always looking for the ball. He's scored 22 Goals and had 5 assists, yes he could've scored more, but this Seasons problems are not all down to him, and people need to remember that. Yep, the boy needs to be calmer sometimes in front of goal and maybe not take that extra touch, but he's one of our own FFS, constantly bombarding the guy with abuse isn't gonnae help him. People need to give the boy a break, but unfortunately we're in a time when all these Keyboard Commandos get their kicks out of sending vile abusive messages to others.

As I said, irrespective of what people feel about his goal scoring on the park, 'he's one of our own, give him a break FFS'.

People just need to get a life. Sitting messaging abuse to a football player on social media, get a life ya weirdos.

It's one thing discussing him on fan forums but actually sending him abuse. Weirdos.

People are mentioning mentality a lot just now about our players. Dessers has proven he has the mentality to play for our club. Always available despite the levels of abuse being aimed at him.

He will miss chances, but he never ever hides and keeps trying.

He has a point with needing time to settle, adapt to the club and to Scottish football. Not everyone can just hit the ground running.

To have 22 goals and 5 assists given how terrible we were under Beale is a good return. Hopefully if he's still with us next season, that's better still.

Fact is, a decent portion of our support are absolute c***s.

They don’t realise it, but they are riding the post-2012 wave of Rangers-hate, just in a different way. It’s fashionable to slate and denigrate Rangers players, so they just go along with it to try get folk to like them.

This is nonsense.

I remember the Athens-Falkirk-Celtic run of defeats, especially that Celtic one.

Charlie Nicholas and Davie Cooper spoke about the fans turning on the players on tv the following week as our game with Hearts was live and we badly needed to win.

Our fans were dogging the players well before 2012.

Can remember plenty in Walter's second spell as well, especially after some of them shocking European results.

People are mentioning mentality a lot just now about our players. Dessers has proven he has the mentality to play for our club. Always available despite the levels of abuse being aimed at him.

He has a point with needing time to settle, adapt to the club and to Scottish football. Not everyone can just hit the ground running.

To have 22 goals and 5 assists given how terrible we were under Beale is a good return. Hopefully if he's still with us next season, that's better still.
Very good point mate. Call him what you may, but his attitude to football is not up for negotiation. A guy who loves playing the game where many others see it as a chore and not just at Rangers.

Exactly, he might not be perfect but he's one of the minority that actually care and kept fighting until the end, along with getting goals. But people are actually messaging him swearing at him and calling him names because he's just not that good. What's he meant to do other than try his hardest which he absolutely has.

They don’t realise it, but they are riding the post-2012 wave of Rangers-hate, just in a different way. It’s fashionable to slate and denigrate Rangers players, so they just go along with it to try get folk to like them.

Twitter/X in particular. It seems to be a competition to see who can be most irate.

We all get frustrated with the chances that Dessers misses and some of his decision making. If he was better in both, he'd be a 35+ goalscorer and wouldn't be at Rangers. He's scored 22 goals so far. We've been screaming out for that kind of production from our striker. The real problem is that he's been let down by the lack of goals from our midfielders, wingers and centre backs.

He has a great attitude and stays fit (that's the kiss of death from me right there).

Hopefully our backup striker next year :))

This mate, there's a guy along from me, who if football made me feel the way he does I wouldn't go. His life must be utterly depressing and devoid of anything to go the way he does, it starts when the team is read out and continues till the final whistle.
He has heard phrases and words and just shouts them. Favourite is press and if Butland catches the ball at a corner if he hasn't dispatched it within 2 seconds up the park to no one then he berates him

He nearly had a stroke against Killie when Tav never took a quick free kick, despite the Killie payer standing with the ball in his hands and the ref pointing to his whistle.

Back to Dessers, 22 goals but never a number 9... deary me. Look when he gets the ball what he has around him, he deserves nowhere near the stick he gets. Yes if he took his chances he would be on 40 goals and we would be waving him off anyway!

Saddens me the number of people who make excuses for Dessers.

For me it's a sign that our expectations are lowering.

He's never a striker good enough for us to win the league but people seem to like him and when you ask why they say things like "good attitude", "gives everything" or "nerver stops trying".

Nobody is ever able to say anything about his ability because it just isn't there.

He's scored 22 goals this season but the number of chances he's missed in big moments in big games is just astonishing.

If we start next season with an honest tryer up front again then sadly we're winning absolutely nothing.

The sheer vitriol directed at Rangers players, management and others by so-called Rangers 'supporters' is a disgrace at times. There's criticism - and everyone is entitled to criticise - and there is abuse, which should never be acceptable. It's almost as if some people feel the need to outdo each other in terms of abuse, vitriol, rage and general arsehole behaviour, as if it somehow proves their staunchness. It certainly proves something about them, but it's nothing positive. You see it all over Twitter / X and doubtless across other social media platforms I don't use. Sadly you also see it on here. A lot!

Once players sign for us, they’re basically near enough millionaires, they should not need to settle in. Hate that excuse. Hit the ground running. It isn’t amateur football.

Damn excuses piss me off.

He’s done well to score 22 goals after the poor start he had

He’s frustrating but his mentality cannot be questioned given said abuse online and verbals from the stands

If we get a good offer Clement may sell if he has other targets that he needs to raise funds for but I think Dessers could score even more next season

I’d love him to score the goal to win us the SC but he really has to try and take shots quicker at times

You cannot fault his determination to succeed

This is nonsense.

I remember the Athens-Falkirk-Celtic run of defeats, especially that Celtic one.

Charlie Nicholas and Davie Cooper spoke about the fans turning on the players on tv the following week as our game with Hearts was live and we badly needed to win.

Our fans were dogging the players well before 2012.

Can remember plenty in Walter's second spell as well, especially after some of them shocking European results.
It's always been there it's just much easier now with social media therefore more prominent

He's never a striker good enough for us to win the league but people seem to like him and when you ask why they say things like "good attitude", "gives everything" or "nerver stops trying".

Nobody is ever able to say anything about his ability because it just isn't there.

He's scored 22 goals this season but the number of chances he's missed in big moments in big games is just astonishing.

If we start next season with an honest tryer up front again then sadly we're winning absolutely nothing.
Correct. All these threads about how we need better and a better mentality yet pat a striker that's let us down numerous times at vital moments of the season on the head?

He thinks he is getting abuse and poor him? Then maybe check out Tav or Borna.

What I don’t get with the abusers is that they are the first to latch on to a critical review of a player in a newspaper or by someone like Michael Stewart. They don’t see the irony in that what is said in a paper or on TV is tame compared to many online Rangers supporters.

Totally agree with your comments,he scores a lot more than he misses,yet some just want to focus on the negatives and as you say he always gives 100%.I hope big Cyriel goes on to have a successful career with us.

Is his goal tally good enough ?

I think it’s been respectable and if affordable he could be an option off the bench.

But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say we need better as our focal point and have done for the best part of 15 years now, barring some good runs of form from AM.

He's a great guy and a decent striker. His goal haul for the season proves that. Not a great striker but not the hopeless player some supporters would have you believe.

One thing he should have realised though, is, you're not afforded a lot of time to settle in. You're expected to hit the ground running. Especially when you're a £4m player, or whatever it was we spent on him.

I do believe that he can play an integral part for us next season.

What I don’t get with the abusers is that they are the first to latch on to a critical review of a player in a newspaper or by someone like Michael Stewart. They don’t see the irony in that what is said in a paper or on TV is tame compared to many online Rangers supporters.
I tend to find that this type of 'supporter' will parrot whatever nonsense Stewart and Sutton spout about our players. They are often too thick to realise they are playing into their hands.

Scumbags being scumbags.

I think he's a workable player but he's never good enough as our main striker. That's not on him, he didn't sign himself. I also think he spends too much time falling around asking for penalties and free kicks that he has no chance of getting (not including two handed shoves, that is a ref problem) and that is on him. But I'd still never think of sending him abuse.

I don't think Instagram/X or any other social media reflects what the large percentage of Rangers fans actually are like. Or any other club for that matter. The idiots of society try their best to out do each other on social media. That's not to say we don't have our fair share of absolute idiots within the support.

Once players sign for us, they’re basically near enough millionaires, they should not need to settle in. Hate that excuse. Hit the ground running. It isn’t amateur football.

Damn excuses piss me off.
What has how much money a player has got to do with adapting to Scottish football?

The standard of the game here is vastly different from many other leagues. Trying to break down 10 men behind the ball week in week out.

How much money they have won't help them with that issue.

This is about the abuse he gets. Unless there is a young up and coming Ally McCoist out there then it will be hard going. We're not getting that with the money we have to spend.

Back