Cyriel Dessers talking of receiving verbal abuse.

Saddens me the number of people who make excuses for Dessers.

For me it's a sign that our expectations are lowering.

He's never a striker good enough for us to win the league but people seem to like him and when you ask why they say things like "good attitude", "gives everything" or "nerver stops trying".

Nobody is ever able to say anything about his ability because it just isn't there.

He's scored 22 goals this season but the number of chances he's missed in big moments in big games is just astonishing.

If we start next season with an honest tryer up front again then sadly we're winning absolutely nothing.
He cost £4.5 million and will be on a fortune.

The way folk go on, you'd think he was a free transfer who's done us a turn when it wasn't expected.

I don't think Instagram/X or any other social media reflects what the large percentage of Rangers fans actually are like. Or any other club for that matter. The idiots of society try their best to out do each other on social media. That's not to say we don't have our fair share of absolute idiots within the support.

It doesn’t reflect real life, no.

Since Sima picked up an injury he's been our only consistent goal scorer up front and this season would have been over a lot sooner without him.

We've been overly reliant on him so his misses suddenly become a lot more costly in games where we've dropped points, but we're never going to get anywhere relying on one player for goals. I'd suggest that it was actually a complete lack of goals across the rest of our available forward players that have cost us a lot more.

This is about the abuse he gets. Unless there is a young up and coming Ally McCoist out there then it will be hard going. We're not getting that with the money we have to spend.

Totally understand what you're saying. I'd argue there's much better available for 'what we have to spend'.

Our opinions on transfer fees are warped because of the spending down south.

In most leagues around Europe spending £4m on a striker is a decent wedge and should get you someone more capable than Dessers is.

There are better strikers in our league who cost less, for example.

Our spend is absolutely not insignificant - particularly on wages. I find it very frustrating when people often say things like 'wouldn't be playing for us if he was better at X,Y, or Z'.

There are good players out there, we just haven't been good at picking them up.

Anyway sorry I'm moving quite off topic. Obviously nobody should be abusive to anyone really but criticism doesn't necessarily = abuse and I feel a lot of people can't (or don't) make the distinction.

I think he’s been frustrating beyond belief at times, some of those performances actually cost us dear, but I’ll tell you what, you can’t fault his effort. No whinging, no sulking, he’s always just got his head down and got on with it. Might seem like the bare minimum to some, but when you look at some of the rest of the squad it’s clearly not.

Last edited:
Sadly there're so many idiots online and amongst our support. Dessers has done really well in his first season and is the absolute least of our worries.

Look at the scoring stats across the rest of the forward line and from our midfield - therein lies our problem. Not Dessers.

He’s not the best player we will ever have by any manner of means but he puts the effort in and scores goals.
Of course he could be better but take away his goals and we would be in 3rd place

As much as I don’t want the guy here and admire how he never hides the abuse is fucking bang out and large section of support need to take long hard look at themselves.
Since our trouble it’s cranked up ten fold especially the shite you hear in the stands

Thing that stands out and annoys me most about that is when the interviewer asks what the players are like and if they have strong conversations with each other and are angry with each other after the Celtic game and he just says no.

They just sit in silence.

That to me is a joke and highlights the mentality of the team

Just sitting like poor wee soles wondering how they just got beat and threw the league away.

Why is there not anyone going fucking mental and showing them how much it means that they have fucked it.

Can you imagine the likes of Barry Ferguson getting into the changing room after losing at parkhead and chucking the league sitting in silence?!

Did he say he was getting abuse from Rangers supporters or that he was getting abuse ?

Last edited:
What has how much money a player has got to do with adapting to Scottish football?

The standard of the game here is vastly different from many other leagues. Trying to break down 10 men behind the ball week in week out.

How much money they have won't help them with that issue.
Please don’t tell me beating likes of Dundee should be a struggle. Embarrassing

What has how much money a player has got to do with adapting to Scottish football?

The standard of the game here is vastly different from many other leagues. Trying to break down 10 men behind the ball week in week out.

How much money they have won't help them with that issue.
Jealousy, pure and simple. Was the same when folk were going on about Tav and his "Lambo" or Bisgrove and his McLaren.

He's certainly not perfect, but 22 goals and counting, plus always being fit and available for selection, has been a serious upgrade on the constantly injured Roofe or the "couldn't give a fuuuck take the pish out of the club attitude" of Morelos.

I'm afraid social media has produced a lot of angry people, in just about every day life. Was it really meant to be this way and do these raging folk act like that when they're out in company?
I used to play fives and 11s with a lot of good posters on here back in the old days of FF, nobody came away with the mad views you see on here on this forum and certainly didn't when we were out for drinks.

I used to play fives and 11s with a lot of good posters on here back in the old days of FF, nobody came away with the mad views you see on here on this forum and certainly didn't when we were out for drinks.
They would be told to do one. I hate losing to them as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to allow it to get on top of me and in any way stop being a fan.

When a player signs for a club. Any club all you can ask is he does his best.
Not his fault how much, if any, that club has paid for his services, or how good he is.
He is bought presumably with due diligence being done by the club.
Or whoever represents the club.

If a player doesn't meets the expectations from a supporter, then that is not on the player.
It is on the supporter.
If the player doesn't meet the clubs expectations then that is different, he will be sold on.
But for a supporter to abuse a player because he doesn't meet that supporter's expectations is complete B.S.
It says everything about who that supporter is, and nothing to do with the player.

You wonder how much social media (particularly twitter) has had an impact on the way people form their views now.
Hive mind mentality, for example one person says" Kamaras chucked it because his mates have left" people then repeated that to %^*& without actually thinking Kamara wanted a crack back down in England.

It's kinda the same with Dessers and the worst striker Rangers have ever had patter.

When a player signs for a club. Any club all you can ask is he does his best.
Not his fault how much, if any, that club has paid for his services, or how good he is.
He is bought presumably with due diligence being done by the club.
Or whoever represents the club.

If a player doesn't meets the expectations from a supporter, then that is not on the player.
It is on the supporter.
If the player doesn't meet the clubs expectations then that is different, he will be sold on.
But for a supporter to abuse a player because he doesn't meet that supporter's expectations is complete B.S.
It says everything about who that supporter is, and nothing to do with the player.

They're not supporters, and there's plenty on here and at Ibrox, who only appear to 'support' the team when we're cruising to victories and trophies.

It's fine to be critical on message boards and in the pubs, but abusing players here, on-line and in the stadium is the behaviour of arse-holes. We've a fair few of them unfortunately.

As to Dessers, he gives 100% always, and he's done well since he regained fitness.
He deserves our support.

I'm afraid social media has produced a lot of angry people, in just about every day life. Was it really meant to be this way and do these raging folk act like that when they're out in company?
Problem is the social media companies make more money from promoting bad news and making people angry so they engage more on the platform than they do with good news stories. Personally I hope he is very well paid and that compensates for the shit he has to take in Scottish Football. Let's face it, with his general attitude and the bits of the game he is good at, if he was a great finisher too he'd not be playing in Scotland.

Dessers wrecks my brain.
Stick or twist?
He scores goals, misses sitters, Hes clumsy, but he scores goals.

Could Phil turn him around next season? Turn what around he already scores goals.

Head wrecked with him.

Seems like a decent guy with the right attitude but he simply can’t be our first choice striker next season.

I know he’s not the sole reason we haven’t won the league this season but his terrible finishing has majorly cost us at crucial times. Think some criticism of him is way over the top but he’s not good enough to be the main striker for Rangers

A good man, nice guy. Don’t think he’s right for us but he tried his best and didn’t hide.
Abusing any of our staff is out of order.

Fact is, a decent portion of our support are absolute c***s.

They don’t realise it, but they are riding the post-2012 wave of Rangers-hate, just in a different way. It’s fashionable to slate and denigrate Rangers players, so they just go along with it to try get folk to like them.
I sit down the very front of the govan front stand and someone arsehole in the next section kept shouting to Tav to F*** off to Saudi several times when he ran past.

It’s actually embarrassing.

The team and all the long standing narrative that goes with it, players letting us down etc. etc. is one thing, that’s football and fair criticism is normal.

I’ll tell you something though, the biggest sickner and disappointment followimg this early season recovery, title race then collapse, is the absoloutley disgraceful behaviour of a reasonable number of our on line lunatics and match going arseholes who attach themselves to our club.
The way the players, regardless of their footballing performances, have been treated and abused by so called fans, is a major low for us this season. I do wish they would get to %^*& and bother some other team.

Some people are just arseholes who feel big, or get a kick out of abusing players.

There’s an element of people on Twitter who try to out staunch/rage each other when it comes to slaughtering our players, thankfully I’ve blocked most of them.
I’ve ‘blocked’ Twitter (or X). It’s a cesspit.

This is nonsense.

I remember the Athens-Falkirk-Celtic run of defeats, especially that Celtic one.

Charlie Nicholas and Davie Cooper spoke about the fans turning on the players on tv the following week as our game with Hearts was live and we badly needed to win.

Our fans were dogging the players well before 2012.

Can remember plenty in Walter's second spell as well, especially after some of them shocking European results.
Correct, Dessers is lucky he’s not Bert Konterman :cool:

I think Dessers on his first season has done well yes he's missed chances and at times looked clumsy but if he scored with every chance he would not be here.
Dessers needs help with other players also contributing.
I think he looked clumsy at times, I reckon that was because he'd try to get the ball onto his left foot as his right foot was just for standing on.

I've been going to games since the mid sixties and players have always got abuse when thing were not going well. In those days the only place for fans to show their displeasure was at the games unfortunately now it's all over the place 24hrs a day.

Dessers wrecks my brain.
Stick or twist?
He scores goals, misses sitters, Hes clumsy, but he scores goals.

Could Phil turn him around next season? Turn what around he already scores goals.

Head wrecked with him.
A good player will always get in the position to miss chances.
He misses plenty but I honestly believe that he has had the whole goal scoring burden thrust upon him because of injuries

Strangely enough, I agree with the earlier poster. Dessers has the right mentality for Rangers. However, can't be up top on his own. A back up, I'd be happy with that.

He seems a likeable guy and a good pro.

He’s also got a mentality that some of the losers in our dressing room could only dream of.

But, the fact remains that he’s not a great striker and his misses have undoubtedly contributed to the season being a failure.

If we can get £3m back for him I think a fresh start would be best all round.

This is nonsense.

I remember the Athens-Falkirk-Celtic run of defeats, especially that Celtic one.

Charlie Nicholas and Davie Cooper spoke about the fans turning on the players on tv the following week as our game with Hearts was live and we badly needed to win.

Our fans were dogging the players well before 2012.

Can remember plenty in Walter's second spell as well, especially after some of them shocking European results.

I remember people wanting Walter sacked after 3 consecutive nil nil draws in 2009

I don't think Instagram/X or any other social media reflects what the large percentage of Rangers fans actually are like. Or any other club for that matter. The idiots of society try their best to out do each other on social media. That's not to say we don't have our fair share of absolute idiots within the support.
One guy was on one of the Facebook Rangers sites slagging off the team on Saturday. Nothing wrong except he couldn't even be bothered to watch the game. He went for a walk!!!!
We then had a bit of a discussion and he claimed that I had no right to speak about Rangers as I don't live near Ibrox?????btw ALL of the Celtc people on Twatter are complete zoomers!

Fact is, a decent portion of our support are absolute c***s.

They don’t realise it, but they are riding the post-2012 wave of Rangers-hate, just in a different way. It’s fashionable to slate and denigrate Rangers players, so they just go along with it to try get folk to like them.

Coming from the man who was accusing Rangers fans of being racist because they didn’t rate Goldson.

Back