Cyriel Dessers talking of receiving verbal abuse.

He’s done a damn sight better than Dessers. I’d love to know what those goals were too, because there’s been a few, unless you’re expecting Manuel Neuer levels from him, there certainly haven’t been plenty.
No, he really hasn’t. Dessers has scored 22 goals in his first season, an excellent return.

Of the goals we’ve conceded, I’d expect our keeper to have done better with plenty of them. That’s no letting off the defending in front of him, but I’d still expect more.

Dessers has the right mentality to play for Rangers, his self belief is incredible and his head never goes down. I hope the abusive messages he speaks of didn’t come from our own, but given what we’ve seen with Butland and Barisic, I wouldn’t be surprised.

No, he really hasn’t. Dessers has scored 22 goals in his first season, an excellent return.

Of the goals we’ve conceded, I’d expect our keeper to have done better with plenty of them. That’s no letting off the defending in front of him, but I’d still expect more.
Yeah so tell me all the goals he should have done better with. If there’s plenty of them it’ll be a skoosh for you. But if you think Dessers passing up glaring chances in games where points were lost isn’t an issue because his overall tally looks decent, well that’s fair enough but I’m not really in the “numbers” brigade. I’d rather have players who come up with the goods in the big moments.

The interesting thing about the interview was him saying the dressing room was quiet after they lost on Saturday.

It shouldn’t be.

all i'l say is for whatever faults the boy has? self confidence and character don't seem to be among them. better players than CD's have struggled to impact when they first arrived. could name a few legends but i won't, we all know who they are. came in to a struggling side with a lot of new faces, in a new country/league and done okay over the piece. hopefully with better players around hin regularly and not simply who's available will see him kick on. would not surprise me to see a couple of his goals win us the cup double with a confidence going into a new season, WATP.

I don't see where he says its Rangers fans abusing him either.
he's had it stinking on here when we've had poor results. yep hes missed chances in those matches but his return is fine when relative to the start he had. his effort, self confidence and belief will do for me going into a cup final. he's been desperately unlucky with VAR/cheating too.

I understand why people like him, but he's at it a bit too.
He's come out with some real shite too. Remember 'i'll die for Rangers v Celtic' or ' this League isnt as good as others..'.
Cant fault his confidence in the press room. If only he was as confident at PSV , Parkhead, Ross co etc, then we might have had a different outcome? Who knows?

One thing for sure every good team has 1 or 2 lethal goal scorers, the kind that come up with vital goals - and we need one very soon.

We set ourselves back a bit last summer by selling both Colak and Sakala from a team that was already pitifully short on goals. Unless a really good bid came in, we would be mad to do the same with Dessers this summer. Part of our problem in recent years is we give ourselves nothing to build on. Dessers' return this year is something to build on. By all means, bring in a new No. 9 and let them fight it out. But I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Dessers and bring in a new striker with only Danilo returning from serious injury as backup. I think we all know how that could come back to bite us.

He’s scored 1 goal against Celtic. Similar in quality and importance to the one Joe Garner scored on his debut and we know how that turned out. I’d love for you to be right about the cup final but sadly I don’t share your confidence.
Remember Rod Wallace

We are doing it to ourselves again...trying to convince ourselves we have good enough players and it will come good next season then the inevitable happens.

Can't deny he's contributed but hopefully the majority of next season he's coming off the bench.

It's not a big ask to hope for a better striker than Dessers leading our attack next season.

Saddens me the number of people who make excuses for Dessers.

For me it's a sign that our expectations are lowering.

He's never a striker good enough for us to win the league but people seem to like him and when you ask why they say things like "good attitude", "gives everything" or "nerver stops trying".

Nobody is ever able to say anything about his ability because it just isn't there.

He's scored 22 goals this season but the number of chances he's missed in big moments in big games is just astonishing.

If we start next season with an honest tryer up front again then sadly we're winning absolutely nothing.
Sense at last.
Imagine throughout the season if he wasn't getting caught with the ball under his feet at crucial moments, getting caught offside when scoring, not being able to hold his line and getting caught offside again at crucial moments and off course missing all those sitters throughout the season in games when it mattered.
No offence to the guy but him being our number 9 next season not only gives me the fear but i will lose faith in those in charge at Ibrox.

Sense at last.
Imagine throughout the season if he wasn't getting caught with the ball under his feet at crucial moments, getting caught offside when scoring, not being able to hold his line and getting caught offside again at crucial moments and off course missing all those sitters throughout the season in games when it mattered.
No offence to the guy but him being our number 9 next season not only gives me the fear but i will lose faith in those in charge at Ibrox.
Was his first season here, new country , new team and moving his family here takes time to settle.
If we are fair we judge after a 2nd season but still think Danilo will be first choice

He seems a really good guy and his mentality seems to be too drawer. He was very poor in the early part of the reason. He could easily have retreated into his shell and pinned for a move away in January, but he’s kept at it and since Beale left his game really has improved.

With the injury issues we’ve had in upfront we’d have been utterly knackered without him.

Have been harsh on Dessers at times myself but reflecting on it his numbers have been good. A lot of missed chances, lack of strikers instinct so room for improvement.

Over the course of this season he’s really been our only available number 9. We need to get players round him or backing him up with numbers. For example look at 55 season we had the firepower of Morelos, Roofe, Defoe and Itten.

Remember Rod Wallace
He scored against them at Ibrox, scored a game winning goal at the piggery that all but clinched the title, and scored the winner against them in a Scottish cup final. So on the basis of his heroic trophy winning goals, I remember him well!

Once players sign for us, they’re basically near enough millionaires, they should not need to settle in. Hate that excuse. Hit the ground running. It isn’t amateur football.

Damn excuses piss me off.
Just trying to think of players who didn't hit the ground running that you would have been rid of, players that turned out great players for.

Could put up a list, but can't be bothered as it would take too long.

I don't think Instagram/X or any other social media reflects what the large percentage of Rangers fans actually are like. Or any other club for that matter. The idiots of society try their best to out do each other on social media. That's not to say we don't have our fair share of absolute idiots within the support.
I'd like to think the people on these things don't represent too many people in the world or we're all in trouble.

He cost £4.5 million and will be on a fortune.

The way folk go on, you'd think he was a free transfer who's done us a turn when it wasn't expected.
4.5 Mill, doesn't get you the goods these days. It's very much at the low end. It was big money when Duncan Ferguson came in, not now.

I tend to find that this type of 'supporter' will parrot whatever nonsense Stewart and Sutton spout about our players. They are often too thick to realise they are playing into their hands.
You see it on here all the time. One poster suggests someone “flatters to deceive” and within a page a dozen are using the same phrase.
Easily manipulated sheep.

He's really taken time to settle, and there really needs to be an alternative on the days when it's not working, or during hectic spells when he does tend to end up looking a bit worn out, but there's something clever in there that I like.

Just a pity he'd miss an open goal from the goal line, right enough.

But if he needs to swivel and take out the entire centre-defence then roll it home while taking the piss out of the opposing keeper?

Dessers is yer man!

22 goals isn’t a bad return

Would we be as critical if we had won the league. Had we won it would we be happy with a 22 goal striker

Totally agree with your comments,he scores a lot more than he misses,yet some just want to focus on the negatives and as you say he always gives 100%.I hope big Cyriel goes on to have a successful career with us.
Going by that logic, Dessers has had less than 41 chances at goal this season? 22 scored, 21 missed?

No way should any player be receiving abusive messages, social media is the pits. He seems like a decent guy, he has definitely played much better since Phil came in, it’s a decent goal record but I still feel like he is too slow for the game here in Scotland. If someone offered a decent fee, then I hope we consider it. Just not clinical enough.

He's a really frustrating player to watch but you just can't argue with his numbers. 22 goals and 8 assists. More assists than Cantwell.

I don't think he should be our first choice striker but if he was to go I can see the threads already when we inevitably have a period next season where we are struggling for goals and people are saying "why did we let a guy that scored 22 goals last season leave?"

I don't think he should be our first choice striker but if he was to go I can see the threads already when we inevitably have a period next season where we are struggling for goals and people are saying "why did we let a guy that scored 22 goals last season leave?"

........kinda like what happened with Colak.

22 goals isn’t a bad return

Would we be as critical if we had won the league. Had we won it would we be happy with a 22 goal striker
We would probably would. But we didn’t. And that’s partly due to our strikers being able to score when it matters.

He’s scored 1 goal against Celtic. Similar in quality and importance to the one Joe Garner scored on his debut and we know how that turned out. I’d love for you to be right about the cup final but sadly I don’t share your confidence.
You can't be comparing him to Garner FFS!

He's scored more than double the amount of goals than him, 22 v 10 and the season still has another couple of games to go.

You can't be comparing him to Garner FFS!

He's scored more than double the amount of goals than him, 22 v 10 and the season still has another couple of games to go.
You’re right I can’t be, because I’m not. I’m just pointing out that 1 solitary consolation goal (tap in) against Celtic in a season isn’t adequate for a Rangers striker.

His numbers are decent enough but break them down and look at how many goals have actually been big in terms of our season. He seems a cracking big guy and isn’t a bad player but if he’s leading our line next season then hell mend us when we’re sitting in the same position this time next year.

22 goals for Dessers, with 2 games to go.

And he doesn’t usually take penalties. Tav has scored 15 this season. If Dessers took them and converted at the same rate, he’d be on 37 goals.
Which shows where we could be with a decent striker, not one who regularly fails to get shots away when even one on one

People are mentioning mentality a lot just now about our players. Dessers has proven he has the mentality to play for our club. Always available despite the levels of abuse being aimed at him.

He will miss chances, but he never ever hides and keeps trying.

He has a point with needing time to settle, adapt to the club and to Scottish football. Not everyone can just hit the ground running.

To have 22 goals and 5 assists given how terrible we were under Beale is a good return. Hopefully if he's still with us next season, that's better still.
Didn’t Souness say something along those lines where foreign players need at least a year to settle into playing for us & adapting to life in Glasgow, if you have kids they need time to settle if you have a wife/ partner they need time to settle.
We expect instant success unfortunately not every player can do that.. Dessers hasn’t been terrible nor terrific but one thing he’s available doesn’t let his head go down nor does he use any excuse to miss out on games. Can he improve of course he can but slagging players isn’t going to be helpful imho.

It does if you spend it wisely.
Well, there's not many top strikers going around these days and there most certainly isn't many going at 4.5 million. So the market we deal in, we would need to be extremely lucky to find this kind of player.

That boy at Brentford that they were after, they certainly wouldn't be able to go out and buy him now and they're a lot better off than us.

Well, there's not many top strikers going around these days and there most certainly isn't many going at 4.5 million. So the market we deal in, we would need to be extremely lucky to find this kind of player.

That boy at Brentford that they were after, they certainly wouldn't be able to go out and buy him now and they're a lot better off than us.
Kyogo cost Celtic 4.5 million
Miovski cost Aberdeen 600k

Dessers had one of the worst starts to a Rangers career I can remember and I think that's still colouring people's opinion of him. To be fair he was genuinely that bad in the first few months and coupled with our collapse under Beale he really did look like one of our worst ever transfers.

He's been relatively consistent (and always available) since Clement came in. If he can carry that across to next season then I've got no issues at all with keeping him.

Kyogo cost Celtic 4.5 million
Miovski cost Aberdeen 600k
Shows how lucky they were then. Celtic, I could understand as the manager would have contacts in that part of the world. There's still not a load of quality strikers coming through in the game these days, so it's still a bit of a lottery to pick up a 30 goal a season man.

Remember we as a support sang about McCoist getting to f**k, so we're not exactly experts in this field.

The guy`s had to carry a forward line decimated by injury, been the only one fit for most of the season and scored 22 goals in his first season. A season where he was supposed to be second striker to Danilo. Unfortunately he`s a Rangers player and far better player`s than him have suffered worse abuse on the pitch. He`s kept his head down and got on with it.

Back