Dapo Mebude

Yes he should go out on loan in the winter but i do worry about where his future opportunities are going to come from in terms of us. Same with McPake. We're clogged up in terms of attacking options and very few of them have deals expiring anytime soon

Really impressed with him for Scotland u19s tonight. Led the line brilliantly against a much bigger, physical German side. Given his opportunities for us this season are likely to be limited, shouldn't we be looking to get him out on loan to get some experience?
He won't go anywhere as long as the U19's are still in the UEFA competition.

Yes he should go out on loan in the winter but i do worry about where his future opportunities are going to come from in terms of us. Same with McPake. We're clogged up in terms of attacking options and very few of them have deals expiring anytime soon

Ideally when we are ready to cash in on Alfie, Kent etc the likes of Mcpake and Mebude should be ready to step in.
That should also mean we don't need to rely on loan signings.
The problem we seem to have is getting the U19s enough first team experience so they are ready for us

The test for the club over the next couple of years is getting all these promising young players (mebude, mcpake, kennedy etc) into the first team. With the expectations and demands of the club and the fanbase, it is the area of youth development that is always the most difficult.

If we win the league in the near future a large amount of pressure on the club will be lifted imo.Going forward that could and should mean young players getting a chance.The current climate it's really hard to throw them into imo.

The test for the club over the next couple of years is getting all these promising young players (mebude, mcpake, kennedy etc) into the first team. With the expectations and demands of the club and the fanbase, it is the area of youth development that is always the most difficult.

2 or 3 players stepping up every few years is a good return.

We're in a good place to achieve that when you consider the likes of Kelly, McPake, Mebude, McCrorie, Middleton, Patterson, Kennedy, Williamson, Palmer and others just below them in terms of age.

Sadly, most aren't going to be regular first team players with Rangers but the best of them should be.

2 or 3 players stepping up every few years is a good return.

We're in a good place to achieve that when you consider the likes of Kelly, McPake, Mebude, McCrorie, Middleton, Patterson, Kennedy, Williamson, Palmer and others just below them in terms of age.

Sadly, most aren't going to be regular first team players with Rangers but the best of them should be.

3 year at least before SG or his replacement take the chance with youth

McPake is already at Dundee on loan.

This will come across as very negative but we have a huge talented pool coming through at all age levels, but unfortunately , as shown in years gone by, it's a huge step to be a regular at Rangers and few make it. I hope they prove me wrong.

It's not negative mate, it's a reality. For Scotland last night Mebude was very lively, thought he (and the team overall) played very well.

A loan may be a good option, but I can think of only 2 in recent times that have went on loan and come back to be regular (McGregor and Adam). It's a tough one.

We stop 10 in a row and there is 2 places in the champions League qualification rounds we will see them given a shot

Stephen Kelly has a very good chance if breaking through next season he's flying at Ayr United this season he's the stand out player in that division by some distance King and Docherty won't be with us next season imo and David will be a year older it would be the perfect time to give him a chance

Tend to agree with this. It’s all well and good having these successful youth teams, but if we never see one get near the first team then it's ultimately a failure.

Stephen Kelly has a very good chance if breaking through next season he's flying at Ayr United this season he's the stand out player in that division by some distance King and Docherty won't be with us next season imo and David will be a year older it would be the perfect time to give him a chance

David?

I would get him shadowing both Morelos & Defoe, especially Defoe.

Imagine having the opportunity to work and learn off a guy like Defoe.

Watched the Scotland Under 19s twice in Spain last month. Was looking forward to seeing Josh McPake, but he didn't really shine in those games. Dapo looked like a real prospect. Played up front most of the time but went wide for last 20 mins of one of the games. Nathan Paterson (right back) also looked good in the games.

I thoroughly trust Gerrard to give these guys a chance if good enough. If they aren't better than the established first team players then that's their problem and not the manager's.

Ideally when we are ready to cash in on Alfie, Kent etc the likes of Mcpake and Mebude should be ready to step in.
That should also mean we don't need to rely on loan signings.
The problem we seem to have is getting the U19s enough first team experience so they are ready for us

It's a tricky time tbf. We simply cant afford to drop anything just now in the league. If/when we win the league, the pressure lifts and we will maybe see youngsters being given more of a chance. It absolutely should be part of our 'model's going forward though.

If we could get him a loan move to another Premiership team where he plays every week then that will really benefit him.

It will be tough for the boys to break through at Rangers but they must make the most of any opportunities that come their way, even if that’s the last 15 mins of a cup tie v a lower league side

3 year at least before SG or his replacement take the chance with youth
I think if they're good enough they'll get their chance,it would be a matter of introducing them in the right games,I'd like to see it, what's the point of having youth development if they're not given a chance. Having said that with the way this season is going,may not be this season with it being tight and in impatient fanbase.

Defintely worth having him at Rangers rather than out on loan for two reasons:

1) We only have two strikers so if one or even two (touch wood) get injured he could well get his chance.

2) Working with Morelos but particularly Defoe will be invaluable at his age.

Defintely worth having him at Rangers rather than out on loan for two reasons:

1) We only have two strikers so if one or even two (touch wood) get injured he could well get his chance.

2) Working with Morelos but particularly Defoe will be invaluable at his age.
Both points are fine points but he really needs to be playing consistently against adults/bigger and stronger opponents, not sitting on the bench one or two times this season. It’s the only way he will develop into a ready player.

If anyone hasn't seen the highlights then take 10 minutes to enjoy this. Young McPake's cheeky goal is at 4:09 but the move of the game is at 7:37 where Dapo beats 4 German midfielders then splits their defence with a pass that Ethan Ross runs on to and was brought down in the box. Lovely stuff.

If anyone hasn't seen the highlights then take 10 minutes to enjoy this. Young McPake's cheeky goal is at 4:09 but the move of the game is at 7:37 where Dapo beats 4 German midfielders then splits their defence with a pass that Ethan Ross runs on to and was brought down in the box. Lovely stuff.

Shades of Morelos there the way Mebude holds them off and turns.

Both points are fine points but he really needs to be playing consistently against adults/bigger and stronger opponents, not sitting on the bench one or two times this season. It’s the only way he will develop into a ready player.
I agree at some stage he will need to go on loan to develop (maybe next season) but he has not long turned 18 so I think training week in week out with Defoe can develop areas of his game that he won't get playing long ball football in the Scottish Championship.

Absolutely,watching him and Gilmour over the last couple of years.
Probably just me,but I see Kelly becoming the bigger star.
Have to disagree I'm afraid. And I say that having very high hopes for Kelly, but gilmour will be one of the very best players in the world in 5 years time. He's the once in a generation talent.

We're clogged up in terms of attacking options and very few of them have deals expiring anytime soon

By the end of season 20/21 there's a very good chance Morelos will have been sold and Defoe may retire.

Second half of the season on loan, assess next summer, get him some good English League football next season then back with experience ready to back up whoever we buy and even fight for a place.

There's no way I can type this without sounding like a fucking weirdo but I follow him on Instagram and he looks to have piled on the muscle recently.

Could turn out to be a really physical player.

There's no way I can type this without sounding like a fucking weirdo but I follow him on Instagram and he looks to have piled on the muscle recently.

Could turn out to be a really physical player.

Given he’s not the tallest for a striker he may well be looking at Morelos and thinking I need to match his strength. On the other hand, Defoe is no giant either - but I see Mebude modelling himself on Morelos rather than Defoe. If he models himself on anyone at all that is, might just wanna be himself.:)

I'm willing to bet Defoe watched that game last night and appreciated seeing a lot of what he's worked on with Mebude contribute to a cracking performance.

Would you mind elaborating on this please? Sounds interesting, and always assumed Defoe would’ve been a great influence around the HTC, but I’m keen to hear a bit of more what’s been happening.

Would you mind elaborating on this please? Sounds interesting, and always assumed Defoe would’ve been a great influence around the HTC, but I’m keen to hear a bit of more what’s been happening.

Sorry, can't say I know anything more than Gerrard has said recently. Defoe will often take time out to work with the younger strikers, and seems to really enjoy doing so.

Mebude has the same issue Defoe has in terms of height and physicality, but you could see he's learning how to play with his back to goal despite that.

Sorry, can't say I know anything more than Gerrard has said recently. Defoe will often take time out to work with the younger strikers, and seems to really enjoy doing so.

Mebude has the same issue Defoe has in terms of height and physicality, but you could see he's learning how to play with his back to goal despite that.

Having players of that quality, who are at the stage of their career that makes them more likely to want to get involved with coaching our youngsters, is such a great asset for us to have.

They have the chance to soak up as much knowledge as they choose to, which I’d guess will separate the wheat from the chaff, to an extent. Those that put in the extra work, will most likely be those that flourish.

Why do you think this is ridiculous? Which parts of Billy Gilmour's game will stop him being a top player? Kelly looks like he'll be a good player too, but we need to stop comparing our players to Gilmour.

Don’t be a smart arse I’m talking about one of the best in the world comment with Gilmour

Back