Dave Cormack calls for SFA and SPFL shake-up

It needs a shake up but not that way. Also, I shake up will only work if every single current member of the SPFL and SFA directors and decision makers are sacked and it starts from the beginning again. It also needs to be made clear that any ounce of favouritism for any single team results in you being sacked instantly with no pay off. All decision have to be for the greater good of Scottish football, not just Celtic.

Since none of that is going to happen there is no point in changing it. Lets just focus on making each rat that makes the Celtic love in decision is made utterly miserable in their role.

So, in a nutshell, he's basically crying out about the need for change, but someone else has to drive it and take the flak.
Thanks for your input Dave, now %^*& off back under your rock you useless prick.
In his Aberdeen slum ;)

No. It broke away from the Scottish Football League which meant we had 3 running senior football. Back down to two again when the SPL 'merged' with the Scottish Football League to form the SPFL.

The reason for that was the top flight wanting access to the money Rangers brought into the football league when we went to Division 3. A consequence of this raping of the blue pound by the SPL is that very merger now means that the tail has this crazy ability to wag the dog.

This is no way to run any business, sporting or otherwise.
The SPFL was formed from the SPL for one reason only , is to stop Rangers suing them in the future for illegal acts that was done to us in 2012 . As most of the punishment we received wasn't in the rule book they made it up as they were going along to keep the hoards happy , it was like a piranha feeding frenzy & we were the meat , the new rule book at the time was made up of mostly supporters fanzines , & social media totally illegal but the SPL went along with it , guilty as hell, & they knew it as well .

The SPFL was formed from the SPL for one reason only , is to stop Rangers suing them in the future for illegal acts that was done to us in 2012 . As most of the punishment we received wasn't in the rule book they made it up as they were going along to keep the hoards happy , it was like a piranha feeding frenzy & we were the meat , the new rule book at the time was made up of mostly supporters fanzines , & social media totally illegal but the SPL went along with it , guilty as hell, & they knew it as well .

Looking back, I thought it was all over TV money.
When we went down to the 4th tier the TV companies did not give a damn about SPL football but were keen to screen as many SFL games involving Rangers as possible. Therefore the SPL pushed through the merger with the SFL because it was the only way they could get their hands on the combined TV money on offer.*
It was around this time that the SPL cabal led by Lawwell, Doncaster and Co knifed SFL leader David Longmuir in the back because they thought he was too sympathetic to Rangers and they couldn't countenance a place for him in the new set-up.

*Around this time celtc's home gates plummeted without us and they regularly shut their top tier, but miraculously they still reported near enough sell-out gates so as not to lose face. The BBC went along with this by failing to publish celtc's home attendance on their website along with all other top tier gates. Instead they sneaked them out in the following mid week but the gates quoted failed to match what certain TV angles revealed.

Last edited:
Looks like Park has an ally in Cormack regarding SPFL Governance (not an accident we mentioned him by name in a Statement recently)

Aberdeen chief insists Scottish football should be ruled by one body
The Pittodrie chairman wants to see major change in our game's governance.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack believes professional football in Scotland should be ruled by one central governing body.

Speaking on the Are You Not Entertained? podcast, he insists there's no need for both the SFA and SPFL and fears the national game will struggle to move forward without a major shake-up on how it is run.

Aberdeen voted for an independent investigation into the SPFL following the controversial vote to end the lower league season, and their chair predicts that such an inquiry would recommend a more centralised approach.

Cormack feels he's been labelled a "trouble maker" for his outspoken stance on the game's future.

He wants to a see a "professional, full-time board" working on how best to progress the game's interest as football faces up to immeasurable change in a landscape shaped by the coronavirus pandemic.

Asked if the Dons' decision to vote for an inquiry was fuelled by a desire for change at the top, Cormack said: "Right at the beginning when this came out, me, Stewart Milne, all of our board, it was about the time given and the pressure to make a decision without having a bunch of information.

"But, the reality is, if you were to throw this up in the air, you bring in a Deloitte or some consultants and say: 'We'll all sign up for you to come up with a plan that's the best thing for Scottish football'.

"I don't think you'd have an SFA and an SPFL for a country the size we are.

"To have good, second division clubs with a few hundred fans versus tens of thousands of fans, it's so difficult, it's impossible to get agreement.

"The reality is, if we had one centre, whatever you want to call it - the SFA - why wouldn't we have a full-time, professional board that looks after the full-time game and the needs of that versus the part-time versus amateur?

"Football will continue to flourish in Scotland, all these teams will be there. But, again, you welcome investment.

"Like Cove Rangers that have built a stadium, brought the investment in and come all the way through, we should be encouraging that.

"The reality is, for me, that if we really want to do well as Scottish football then the way we govern ourselves, it just has to be changed."

Cormack stated that his focus remains on his own club rather than all the infighting.

He continued: "You've got 20, 30, 40 people running around calling clubs, lobbying clubs. For me, we'll say our bit, we'll be straight about it but I'm not hopeful, personally, that there'll be any change in governance in Scottish football.

"So, what we'll do at Aberdeen is continue to share best practices with people that want to talk together, like Alan (Burrows) and myself, on marketing.

"We'll do our bit in our community, to try and drive and increment our season ticket base.

"But for me, most importantly, in Aberdeen, it's about putting a smile on the face of the city.

"I grew up in a slum - no running water, all the toilets outside. For me and my wife it's about trying to give something back to the city, not just with the club but some of the charities we support.

"We'll focus on Aberdeen and let everybody else knock themselves out, which seems to be the way it wants to go.

"I'll maybe be less labelled as a so-called troublemaker for saying my piece and we'll get on with some clubs in Europe - and maybe some in Scotland - to try and fight for a place of relevance when cross-border leagues come into play."
He says some interesting things in within that piece but it is the very last part, to try and fight for a place of relevance when cross-border league's come into play, that seems to be interesting for me?

Cormack has said more in these last couple of weeks that make sense to me than that other guy who walked about with a wig on hoping that no one would notice.
Hes telling you hes classed as a trouble maker and thats the way I see they bastards at the Knights see us!

He says some interesting things in within that piece but it is the very last part, to try and fight for a place of relevance when cross-border league's come into play, that seems to be interesting for me?

Some more on that (I've bolded out the European bit). Might end up being a load of twaddle but at least someone other than ourselves is actually thinking about the game and how to make it more competitive and attractive to spectators

Cormack knows for too long Scottish football has been too complacent with its supporters and now we have to give the fans a better experience to boost ailing attendances.

He believes we should try things like Saturday night football, look at a summer season and even allow colts teams to play in a league set-up.

“The reality is the fans are bored and we ignore them at our peril,” Cormack claimed.

“This is like an ideas factory.

“The chances are that others will be continuing to do what they do, we’ll be ploughing our own furrow and nothing happens centrally.

“I’ve tried to put on a couple of games on a Saturday night, six thirty or seven o’clock kick offs.

“Why should we dictate the format if there is an opportunity to have more crowds?

“It maybe doesn’t work for some clubs, but we certainly think - and Friday night has proved it - we’d have better attendances.

“People have a lot more to do on a Saturday, people play grass roots football for example.

“Summer football is another thing? I haven’t mentioned it at any of the other meetings because you kind of get beaten down.

“The other thing I see is there will be colt teams, absolutely Celtic and Rangers - and I have no problem with it - they have aspirations to grow and that growth will be in Europe, not in Scotland.”

Cormack stated: “The collaboration of clubs worldwide, like the Man City model, will take hold - I guarantee it.

“The restrictions on that will be lifted.

“The core of that will be collaboration and player development.

“I can see that being the grounds for investment in clubs in Scotland.

“These people are particular, though, if people turn up to rusty stadiums in the middle of winter and get a cold pie.

“We have to be better than that.”

The Aberdonian also believes there will be radical change in the European game over the next decade. He has predicted there will be European leagues that will run in parallel with the domestic set-up and be based on the finances of teams, with a move away from the Champions and Europa Leagues.

Cormack knows that will be the reality because the days of Aberdeen toppling the likes of Real Madrid again are a distant memory due to the huge financial gulf.

He predicted: “If I look ten years’ out, there will be closed-door European cross-border leagues, I believe that will take place.

“Why is that? Most European leagues - including Scotland - are dominated by one or two teams.

“What this proves to me is that a monolithic domestic league proves one size does not fit all.

“Here’s how I see it - cross border leagues

“I like a boxing analogy. If you were setting up a fight and want to make £100 million, why would you put a lightweight in with a heavyweight?

“Maybe once in a hundred years the lightweight is going to win.

“What is a fair fight? This is what I think will even itself out in Europe because the days of Dundee United beating Barcelona and Aberdeen beating Real Madrid are gone.

“That doesn’t mean there isn’t an appetite for football, so from my perspective, what I think would be fair is to bracket clubs according to what they spend on their budget.

“Let’s have a Champions League for teams who are 20 million Euros or less, 40 million Euros.

“If we don’t discuss these things and go down the line with that, we’ll never go anywhere.”

Some more on that (I've bolded out the European bit). Might end up being a load of twaddle but at least someone other than ourselves is actually thinking about the game and how to make it more competitive and attractive to spectators

Cormack knows for too long Scottish football has been too complacent with its supporters and now we have to give the fans a better experience to boost ailing attendances.

He believes we should try things like Saturday night football, look at a summer season and even allow colts teams to play in a league set-up.

“The reality is the fans are bored and we ignore them at our peril,” Cormack claimed.

“This is like an ideas factory.

“The chances are that others will be continuing to do what they do, we’ll be ploughing our own furrow and nothing happens centrally.

“I’ve tried to put on a couple of games on a Saturday night, six thirty or seven o’clock kick offs.

“Why should we dictate the format if there is an opportunity to have more crowds?

“It maybe doesn’t work for some clubs, but we certainly think - and Friday night has proved it - we’d have better attendances.

“People have a lot more to do on a Saturday, people play grass roots football for example.

“Summer football is another thing? I haven’t mentioned it at any of the other meetings because you kind of get beaten down.

“The other thing I see is there will be colt teams, absolutely Celtic and Rangers - and I have no problem with it - they have aspirations to grow and that growth will be in Europe, not in Scotland.”

Cormack stated: “The collaboration of clubs worldwide, like the Man City model, will take hold - I guarantee it.

“The restrictions on that will be lifted.

“The core of that will be collaboration and player development.

“I can see that being the grounds for investment in clubs in Scotland.

“These people are particular, though, if people turn up to rusty stadiums in the middle of winter and get a cold pie.

“We have to be better than that.”

The Aberdonian also believes there will be radical change in the European game over the next decade. He has predicted there will be European leagues that will run in parallel with the domestic set-up and be based on the finances of teams, with a move away from the Champions and Europa Leagues.

Cormack knows that will be the reality because the days of Aberdeen toppling the likes of Real Madrid again are a distant memory due to the huge financial gulf.

He predicted: “If I look ten years’ out, there will be closed-door European cross-border leagues, I believe that will take place.

“Why is that? Most European leagues - including Scotland - are dominated by one or two teams.

“What this proves to me is that a monolithic domestic league proves one size does not fit all.

“Here’s how I see it - cross border leagues

“I like a boxing analogy. If you were setting up a fight and want to make £100 million, why would you put a lightweight in with a heavyweight?

“Maybe once in a hundred years the lightweight is going to win.

“What is a fair fight? This is what I think will even itself out in Europe because the days of Dundee United beating Barcelona and Aberdeen beating Real Madrid are gone.

“That doesn’t mean there isn’t an appetite for football, so from my perspective, what I think would be fair is to bracket clubs according to what they spend on their budget.

“Let’s have a Champions League for teams who are 20 million Euros or less, 40 million Euros.

“If we don’t discuss these things and go down the line with that, we’ll never go anywhere.”
Most of that should have been done long before now but most of these smaller teams don't like being left behind.
But in saying that would the money generated from this be filtered down into the lower league's and help them also?

Back