Dave King calls for chairman Douglas Park to go

Red Bull own an Austrian team so that’s hardly a top league. It wasn’t inevitable that the Murray years would end as they did a whole lot happened after the banking crash that impacted MIM which had a knock on impact on us.
If we had someone like Steve Gibson (Middlesbrough) that would have worked. There is no cash to be made in Scotland the league is absolutely rank, the stadia aside from 3/4 are non league level and the players are very poor with the odd exception who will be sold.
The problems we have are the board did a brilliant job in managing a crisis situation but we need to move on and we did not do this post #55.
The situation is the team needs big investment and the infrastructure of the club needs massive investment to make it fit for the 21st century.
If that’s not done we continue to slide as it is we currently participate in the SPFL we don’t compete.
I don’t have a solution that’s not my role as a mere fan.
Come on, the way money was being thrown about, it was inevitable. We gambled on making money from the cl, which never worked and with the transfer fees and wages we were paying, something had to give. Unfortunately, it was nearly the entire club. I'm no expert in business by any means, but I could see it coming, same as the Rangers fans who warned where we were headed and were abused for giving out warnings which became all too real.

Financial crashes always happen, so people in higher places should have seen what was coming, but greed ran the day. I got in on the act with bank loans, jaunting around the world for holidays and europe to see the gers, not bad for a guy driving a forklift doing warehouse work. Still paying for it to this day, but on my terms, and the debt will die with me.

I'm not against a change in the board, I just want the right people in charge, not the sharks who hover around. As far as I'm concerned, great care must be taken with anyone with big promises, because at the end of the day, I would rather have a club than none at all. If we go into some deal with anything near what happened before, there will be no 2nd chances.

Red Bull own an Austrian team so that’s hardly a top league. It wasn’t inevitable that the Murray years would end as they did a whole lot happened after the banking crash that impacted MIM which had a knock on impact on us.
If we had someone like Steve Gibson (Middlesbrough) that would have worked. There is no cash to be made in Scotland the league is absolutely rank, the stadia aside from 3/4 are non league level and the players are very poor with the odd exception who will be sold.
The problems we have are the board did a brilliant job in managing a crisis situation but we need to move on and we did not do this post #55.
The situation is the team needs big investment and the infrastructure of the club needs massive investment to make it fit for the 21st century.
If that’s not done we continue to slide as it is we currently participate in the SPFL we don’t compete.
I don’t have a solution that’s not my role as a mere fan.
I don’t think the side does require massive investment. It requires the right investment. We need to be careful about the signings we make and they have to work. We need to mindful of our homegrown quota.

For me the next manager needs to turn the potential we have in our youth team into first team squad players.

King, Lowry and McCann need to be in and around the team between now and end of season with a view to provide serious competition next season. Others need to follow.

That is where I think Beale will struggle. Bringing through youngsters.

Lowry has stagnated. He needs revitalised.

We need three or four new signings over next window and summer. But they need to be quality.

Why would this US woman want to invest in Rangers? In the SPFL?

Money? How will they make money?
Not the way that people think. Too many folk scaremongered when she was rumoured a few months ago. What she is proposing is a smaller version of what Todd Beuly done at Chelsea.

I won't claim to be 100% correct because I do not have 100% of the facts, but I know enough to know that I'm closer to being correct than you appear to be. For you to say my post is 100% nonsense with any degree of credibility suggest you know all of the details? You don't and the things you are posting illustrate that.
Ok.

I don’t think the side does require massive investment. It requires the right investment. We need to be careful about the signings we make and they have to work. We need to mindful of our homegrown quota.

For me the next manager needs to turn the potential we have in our youth team into first team squad players.

King, Lowry and McCann need to be in and around the team between now and end of season with a view to provide serious competition next season. Others need to follow.

That is where I think Beale will struggle. Bringing through youngsters.

Lowry has stagnated. He needs revitalised.

We need three or four new signings over next window and summer. But they need to be quality.
It's early to declare Lowry has stagnated, especially after coming back from a bad injury. A young man learning to be a Rangers player in what is not an easy thing to do. Lowry will be great, and hopefully Beale is just the right man for him. Investment in the rest of the set up will continue to happen in a way that is within our means I'd imagine.

Not the way that people think. Too many folk scaremongered when she was rumoured a few months ago. What she is proposing is a smaller version of what Todd Beuly done at Chelsea.

Think what way? That these investors will want a return? Im not sure of the set up at Chelsea, but they are a different situation to us.

I always try to look at both sides of an argument, looking for positives, but it scares the shit out of me.

No, it isn’t. If the court documents are correct then she based her proposal on being able to sell media rights that belong to the collective SPFL and UEFA TV deals, for example. A total non-stater.

What Beuly has done is based on the massive revenue streams available in England. What we have seen of Kyle Fox’s “proposal” was based on fantasy and largely on funding from current Rangers investors.

No, it isn’t. If the court documents are correct then she based her proposal on being able to sell media rights that belong to the collective SPFL and UEFA TV deals, for example. A total non-stater.

What Beuly has done is based on the massive revenue streams available in England. What we have seen of Kyle Fox’s “proposal” was based on fantasy and largely on funding from current Rangers investors.
First time I've read this; interesting.

First time I've read this; interesting.
It wasn't exactly that it was more the untapped element of esports etc

The was elements of existing deals but it was building on them

Though honest opinion she can gtf its just got bad vibes all over it

It wasn't exactly that it was more the untapped element of esports etc

The was elements of existing deals but it was building on them

Though honest opinion she can gtf its just got bad vibes all over it
It was exactly that. ”AI cameras, 3D steaming, data analytic, mobile apps, NFTs, push notifications can transform fans' experience and thus organisation revenue.". With the broadcast rights being held by the competitions we play in, this is pie in the sky stuff. 3D streaming for the the current RTV Unlimited market is unlikely to move the needle much ant all and expanding that subscriber base materially is unlikely unless you can show games live in competition with the SPFL and UEFA deals.

It’s probably all rendered moot by the dramatic shift in investor sentiment in recent months anyway. The level of scepticism on the overselling of potential “digital” revenue streams has grown enormously (see Meta’s share price and the view of its metaverse push, see FTX, etc.) so I suspect even investors who may have been tempted by this fantasy even earlier this year will be far more questioning now.

I’ve just noticed that Club1872 have now put part 2 of the Q&A up on YouTube.

It has subtitles, which is helpful as the audio in part 1 wasn’t the best at times.

It was exactly that. ”AI cameras, 3D steaming, data analytic, mobile apps, NFTs, push notifications can transform fans' experience and thus organisation revenue.". With the broadcast rights being held by the competitions we play in, this is pie in the sky stuff. 3D streaming for the the current RTV Unlimited market is unlikely to move the needle much ant all and expanding that subscriber base materially is unlikely unless you can show games live in competition with the SPFL and UEFA deals.

It’s probably all rendered moot by the dramatic shift in investor sentiment in recent months anyway. The level of scepticism on the overselling of potential “digital” revenue streams has grown enormously (see Meta’s share price and the view of its metaverse push, see FTX, etc.) so I suspect even investors who may have been tempted by this fantasy even earlier this year will be far more questioning now.
It's interesting theory there is a market for expansion into a lot of these markets from an spfl and uefa/fifa point of view.

But as we see with the fifa game sports bodies are being to greedy as well think fifa wanted 1 billion usd for 4 years...... now ea are making deals with individual clubs and players

There's obviously issues with it re digital media streams they pushed it to far as it was not regulated as it should be.

Where the issue I think with all this is would be something being pushed like the super league to remove the blockers from those competitions

It's all greed with fsg now putting Liverpool up for sale and glaziers at man u it suggest the sport if going head down didn't pay and its not good for clubs or fans

Err no mate I’m saying if you officially put the club on the market others will step forward. Or no one will and we are where we are.

How do we do that? We have numerous shareholders, the guy with the most (King) only has circa 12%.

It truly worries me that less than a decade after getting rid of Green, Whyte, the bus conductors, llambias etc, some think its a good idea.

What is the role of a chairman, and why does DP not meet this in your opinion?
There looks to be an insignificant focus on corporate governance given the never ending list of issues we are facing.

DP has also only ever been publicly involved in one issue as Rangers chairman - and that issue impacted him personally. Even though Rangers were proven to be correct, it’s a sad state of affairs that it’s the only time we’ve seen DP on the front foot.

You're the man advocating his removal. Presumably you have someone in mind. Care to share?
So that’s a refusal to answer - brilliant. It’s time for someone fresh, who is aware of the past issues but not a part of the fabric of past issues. We want to charge forward as a club and we need new insight and vision to help us achieve this. We as a club should be able to seek out this.

Also - in order to achieve this SR will need to go. And I say that as someone who has a lot of time for the man. We are not in the crisis position we were when we chased out the spivs - it’s time to kick on. Not regress.

So that’s a refusal to answer - brilliant. It’s time for someone fresh, who is aware of the past issues but not a part of the fabric of past issues. We want to charge forward as a club and we need new insight and vision to help us achieve this. We as a club should be able to seek out this.

Also - in order to achieve this SR will need to go. And I say that as someone who has a lot of time for the man. We are not in the crisis position we were when we chased out the spivs - it’s time to kick on. Not regress.
What is it about Douglas Park's insight and vision you don't like? I'm just curious about how much depth there is to what you are saying.

Mark Allen did all the ground work on Gerrard.

Davd authorised Pedro and has explained in detail how that process worked.
Sorry but that’s basically you saying King done nothing regarding Gerrard but was responsible for Pedro

By all accounts, Park Jnr was heavily involved with Pedro. The attempts to deflect this on to King is laughable and smacks of agendas at play here.

Didn’t King go down to Liverpool to meet Gerrard too and speak to some Liverpool hierarchy regarding him?

How do we do that? We have numerous shareholders, the guy with the most (King) only has circa 12%.

It truly worries me that less than a decade after getting rid of Green, Whyte, the bus conductors, llambias etc, some think its a good idea.
So for the rest of time we stick? I’m sorry but that’s not reality. Where does the cash come from to transform the stadium which is pretty dilapidated and needs massive investment and expansion.
Then the need for an annual player budget not £50m (;)) but maybe £10m?
I‘m not denigrating the guys who stood up but as I’ve posted before maybe their skill was crisis management and now we need a different set of skills?

What is it about Douglas Park's insight and vision you don't like? I'm just curious about how much depth there is to what you are saying.
Nothing major done for flag day to celebrate 55.
Nothing major done to celebrate our 150th Anniversary.
Fans viewed as customers and cash cows not as vital pillars of the club.
Poor/non-existent communication strategy.

Some of the highlights that is a vision I don’t see how anyone gets behind?

So for the rest of time we stick? I’m sorry but that’s not reality. Where does the cash come from to transform the stadium which is pretty dilapidated and needs massive investment and expansion.
I‘m not denigrating the guys who stood up but as I’ve posted before maybe their skill was crisis management and now we need a different set of skills?

I agree that wee need different sets of skills, but that doesnt always need to come with a shareholder and the existing ones leaving.

With FFP we probably need to be self-sufficient. So the skills we require are to maximises revenue streams and another point is we need to get more for the money we spend, I think we spent circa £14m this summer. So theres more than the £10m annual budget you mention.

To get new skills you should go out and employ someone with the skills you need. EG get a different CEO in.

Nothing major done for flag day to celebrate 55.
Nothing major done to celebrate our 150th Anniversary.
Fans viewed as customers and cash cows not as vital pillars of the club.
Poor/non-existent communication strategy.

Some of the highlights that is a vision I don’t see how anyone gets behind?
But nothing that makes the club actually badly run, nothing that puts the club in jeopardy in terms of doing the day to day running of it?

But nothing that makes the club actually badly run, nothing that puts the club in jeopardy in terms of doing the day to day running of it?
The club is badly run when it treats fans like non-entity cash cows.

The club is also badly run given the never ending legal challenges.

The day to day running isn’t done by Park - it’s SR. Park needs to provide that corporate governance which is lacking.

How anyone can be comfortable with the “vision” displayed by Park leaves me utterly bewildered.

The day to day running isn’t done by Park - it’s SR. Park needs to provide that corporate governance which is lacking.

How anyone can be comfortable with the “vision” displayed by Park leaves me utterly bewildered.
You haven't enlightened me on Douglas Park's vision; you either haven't told me out of forgetfulness, or you know as much about it as me. Maybe it would be easier to ask you what vision would you like him to have, and what insight you think he should have? I'm a mere fan asking questions, that's not modesty, but I do think fans should be asking questions of anyone who proposes any direction they want the club to go in, if only because of where we've been before in recent times. This club has challenges to it in terms of generating revenue, absorbing costs; all whilst sustaining itself over periods of time in the face of those challenges. How do you propose anyone new coming in deals with these issues, and more? Also, do you have anyone in mind for that?

Last edited:

Listen, arsehole. People respond how, when or if they choose to. It’s not up for you to demand a respond or charitarise things to suit yourself. You are the one demanding a change so the onus is on you to propose the alternative.

If you’ve ever bothered to read my posts you’d know what my views on Robertson are.

What vision is the first thing I would ask?

There doesn't seem to be a long term plan or goal. (There prob is but not one is fans are privy to).

The prices we pay is starting to push boundaries especially as we don't seem to get a long term plan that would make us understand why.

And we understand the situation re self sufficient but they come out with cl not much more than el which is only true if you get to semi final or final.

Communication is poor with fans, ticketing a nightmare.

The Sydney friendly.

The selling part of car park to fund edminston house....... really short term thinking.

These are all simple things This board could solve if they really wanted to engage but they don't.

I think majority of investors and board realise they can't take us much further without a lot of investment and now the time to move on

You haven't enlightened me on Douglas Park's vision; you either haven't told me out of forgetfulness, or you know as much about it as me. Maybe it would be easier to ask you what vision would you like him to have, and what insight you think he should have? I'm a mere fan asking questions, that's not modesty, but I do think fans should be asking questions of anyone who proposes any direction they want the club to go in, if oonly because of where we've been before in recent times. This club has challenges to it in terms of generating revenue, absorbing costs; all whilst sustaining itself over periods of time in the face of those challenges. How do you propose anyone new coming in deals with these issues, and more? Also, do you have anyone in mind for that?
I’d be delighted just to hear from Park.

We’ve only heard from him when it involved his personal business and Cinch.

He’s the definition of a phantom chairman

Do you believe Douglas Park should remain as Rangers chairman?
I do. He's the best guy we've got at the moment.
Dave King might want Douglas Park off the board but that's only because Douglas cut him off. And that was down to King's awful ways in business.
There is no comparison between Douglas Park and Dave King. One is a very successful entrepreneur and Rangers supporter whose reputation is upstanding. The other has a criminal record and craves power and influence far beyond what his shareholding provides. Dave King wants to call the shots, but he doesn't, and in fact can't, put his money where his mouth is. However, Douglas Park can and continues to do so.
A huge amount of spend still goes towards bringing Ibrox back up to a superior standard. Edmiston House work is ongoing, our Training ground is always being developed and improved. And don't forget the big AGM reveal of disabled supporters facilities. They are to be best in class and won't be cheap. Something our disabled supporters have needed and deserved for a very long time. The idea Douglas sits on hands and holds Rangers back is just a story being pushed by Dave King.

Park out as chairman is 100% the right move. But who steps in to replace him is the question.
I wouldn’t necessarily get rid of Douglas Park as Chairman, he’s not the issue here. Dave King is continually whoring himself to the media to denigrate the man, and King wants to use the media to try and displace him for whatever reason, but Douglas Park isn’t the issue at all, in fact I think he’s carried himself well as Chairman without bringing too much hassle to the table, cinch issue aside.

Graeme Park, on the other hand, seems to be another huge target for Kings ire. Douglas Park has been a very successful business man for many decades, he isn’t the worst thing to happen to the club, it’s the morons along side him thats the main issue, or more to the point it’s the executive board that are the main issue. Guys on that board who are way out of their depth and way to self engrossed in their own reputations or interests to send themselves away from the club. Robertson is a decent administrator and MD, but he’s not of Rangers standard regardless of whether he is a fan or not. Andrew Dickson shouldn’t be anywhere near any sort of position of power at Rangers as he’s been there through some of the worst times the club have ever had and survived, and no one really knows what the hell he does. Bisgrove only gets pass marks because of the money he generates for the club. James Blair, well the less said about him the better.

We’ve got a good Board of directors at the club who are and have been willing to invest large amounts of money and we should be thankful to them for that, it’s the diddies doing the day to day work that should be hunted. There have been a number of negative aspects of the running and organisation of the club that can be attributed to the executive board, the day to day diddies if you will.

I wouldn’t necessarily get rid of Douglas Park as Chairman, he’s not the issue here. Dave King is continually whoring himself to the media to denigrate the man, and King wants to use the media to try and displace him for whatever reason, but Douglas Park isn’t the issue at all, in fact I think he’s carried himself well as Chairman without bringing too much hassle to the table, cinch issue aside.

Graeme Park, on the other hand, seems to be another huge target for Kings ire. Douglas Park has been a very successful business man for many decades, he isn’t the worst thing to happen to the club, it’s the morons along side him thats the main issue, or more to the point it’s the executive board that are the main issue. Guys on that board who are way out of their depth and way to self engrossed in their own reputations or interests to send themselves away from the club. Robertson is a decent administrator and MD, but he’s not of Rangers standard regardless of whether he is a fan or not. Andrew Dickson shouldn’t be anywhere near any sort of position of power at Rangers as he’s been there through some of the worst times the club have ever had and survived, and no one really knows what the hell he does. Bisgrove only gets pass marks because of the money he generates for the club. James Blair, well the less said about him the better.

We’ve got a good Board of directors at the club who are and have been willing to invest large amounts of money and we should be thankful to them for that, it’s the diddies doing the day to day work that should be hunted. There have been a number of negative aspects of the running and organisation of the club that can be attributed to the executive board, the day to day diddies if you will.
Douglas Park is getting on abit. He is going to step aside sooner rather than later. At some point I would look to ask a Souness type to step in. Souness has a lot of contacts in business and in football. Wouldn’t be the worse appointment. Could you imagine if Park Junior became chairman.

Douglas Park is getting on abit. He is going to step aside sooner rather than later. At some point I would look to ask a Souness type to step in. Souness has a lot of contacts in business and in football. Wouldn’t be the worse appointment. Could you imagine if Park Junior became chairman.
Souness these days talks pish on Talksport regularly and I’ve never understood the clamour for him to be involved in our boardroom tbh.

Souness these days talks pish on Talksport regularly and I’ve never understood the clamour for him to be involved in our boardroom tbh.
I don't think it works with ex players managers as chairman

What we need is someone that will defend and grow the club publicly not just keep quiet unless it affects their own business.

This can either be chairman or ceo that will drive us forward but also defend the club.

We need someone either on board or executive board that are good at communications and engagement.

John Bennett is the Deputy Chairman, so unless some sort of unexpected power struggle ensues, I would have thought he’ll be the next Chairman.

Sorry but that’s basically you saying King done nothing regarding Gerrard but was responsible for Pedro

By all accounts, Park Jnr was heavily involved with Pedro. The attempts to deflect this on to King is laughable and smacks of agendas at play here.

Didn’t King go down to Liverpool to meet Gerrard too and speak to some Liverpool hierarchy regarding him?
Dave King himself explained how Pedro came - a unanimous collective decision.

King did none of the initial groundwoekmon Gerrard, that’s simply a fact. I’m not a fan of Mark Allen but he did all the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
There looks to be an insignificant focus on corporate governance given the never ending list of issues we are facing.

DP has also only ever been publicly involved in one issue as Rangers chairman - and that issue impacted him personally. Even though Rangers were proven to be correct, it’s a sad state of affairs that it’s the only time we’ve seen DP on the front foot.
The never ending list of issues we face are mainly legacy issues from Dave King's time in charge:

• Sports Direct - who Dave told us we were completely, definitely, and absolutely free of in 2020, but neglected to mention that would include a further £8.25m payment at the end of the 7 year notice period
  • Elite / Hummel
  • Price fixing to the detriment of us (how come Dave never gets accused of treating the support like customers / a cash cow?)
  • The groundwork for the Sydney debacle was laid when King was here too, and he had no real issue with it.
  • The Ibrox disaster memorial wall

Which of these never ending issues is it that give the impression that the current board don't focus on corporate governance?

Complete and utter nonsense it’s the only public issues he’s been involved in.

The Dundee spam folder and subsequent dossier trying to remove Doncaster along with the proposed governance investigation was one.publicly defending the club and showing the SNP and Nippy to be liars surrounding the title party celebrations was another!

Short selective memories a lot of people have got on here these days.

We've spent an average of 10.1m each season since Gerrard came in.

2018/19 11m
2019/20 11m
2020/21 11m
2021/22 3.5m
2022/23 14m
(Not counting undisclosed fees, loan fees, signing on fees, wages etc)

They already provide the budget you want.

Back