Dave King open letter to Rangers board

IMO, it's only a matter of time before Dougie Park steps aside. And that will be the right thing for everyone.

We need to get our club facing forward again and installing drive and ambition.

Standing still - or going backwards - is simply not an option.
I'm interested to hear what you think that will change. Potential scenario, Park sells his shares to Gibson, making the latter the largest shareholder with a 21.5% stake. Gibson takes over as Chairman.

What difference do you believe that will make to the way the Club is run or the way we conduct our business - assuming, like me, you don't personally know Stuart Gibson? He'd maybe do things differently, he maybe wouldn't. So, you might be back here in a year's time trying to get rid of the 'new' guy.

I'm interested to hear what you think that will change. Potential scenario, Park sells his shares to Gibson, making the latter the largest shareholder with a 21.5% stake. Gibson takes over as Chairman.

What difference do you believe that will make to the way the Club is run or the way we conduct our business - assuming, like me, you don't personally know Stuart Gibson? He'd maybe do things differently, he maybe wouldn't. So, you might be back here in a year's time trying to get rid of the 'new' guy.
Gibson won't be our next chairman.....

That's not answering the question I posed though, it's simply a sidestep. Pick another name - same question. What difference do you expect and why?
The likes of Gibson - I believe - would be a better option than the current guys. Business accumen, ambition, drive, dynamism - all things that I would see improving immediately.

We are not seeing anything of positive value currently. They have hit their ceiling. Taken it as far as they can. The new guys will take over the baton and be quicker and more effective along the track.

And when I say new guys, someone like Paul Murray isn't exactly new to us.....

The likes of Gibson - I believe - would be a better option than the current guys. Business accumen, ambition, drive, dynamism - all things that I would see improving immediately.

We are not seeing anything of positive value currently. They have hit their ceiling. Taken it as far as they can. The new guys will take over the baton and be quicker and more effective along the track.

And when I say new guys, someone like Paul Murray isn't exactly new to us.....
Paul Murray will not be on the Board, you are just trolling now
We have some of the best business men on the Board just now and you know that

I'm sure Gibson will have plenty influence as things stand.

You appear to be alluding to Paul Murray being involved. Perhaps due to his name being linked to the Foxy Lady case. Good guy, who played a big part in getting us away from the Spivs but if you are looking for 'ambition, drive, dynamism' then Paul Murray isn't the name that springs to mind. Even if only as a front for someone else. I'd put him in the Stewart Roberston mould for those particular qualities.

There are valid criticisms of the current Board. I do not seek to defend some of their actions. However, your posts - and a few others - appear based on nothing but wishful thinking. There may well be change, probably minor change, within the Boardroom but if/when it happens there is absolutely no guarantee that things will change in the way some expect. I do not expect any sea change in how we operate any time soon, regardless of any changes in the Boardroom.

Nobody seems able to describe what it is, exactly, they expect for any new Chairman or, indeed, Board. They can point to the current Board's failings but can't get beyond that.

I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but the reality is, for many, what they really want is someone splashing the cash and a return to the 'sugar daddy' model. Frightening.

John Bennett is not a business man. He is an investment/portfolio manager. There is a difference.
Are you suggesting he has reached his ceiling and is not clever enough to be there, so in your opinion, George Taylor would be the same
Does that mean you believe Douglas to be the ideal man as he has built a business from scratch?
Paul Murray is an accountant, so according to you, he and Dave would be no good as they aren't business men bur more financial background
So what kind of businessmen would you like to see on our Board, someone with a football Club experience like Charles Green?
Can you explain who fits your bill as a businessman?

You appear to be alluding to Paul Murray being involved. Perhaps due to his name being linked to the Foxy Lady case. Good guy, who played a big part in getting us away from the Spivs but if you are looking for 'ambition, drive, dynamism' then Paul Murray isn't the name that springs to mind. Even if only as a front for someone else. I'd put him in the Stewart Roberston mould for those particular qualities.

There are valid criticisms of the current Board. I do not seek to defend some of their actions. However, your posts - and a few others - appear based on nothing but wishful thinking. There may well be change, probably minor change, within the Boardroom but if/when it happens there is absolutely no guarantee that things will change in the way some expect. I do not expect any sea change in how we operate any time soon, regardless of any changes in the Boardroom.

Nobody seems able to describe what it is, exactly, they expect for any new Chairman or, indeed, Board. They can point to the current Board's failings but can't get beyond that.

I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but the reality is, for many, what they really want is someone splashing the cash and a return to the 'sugar daddy' model. Frightening.
Stopped reading when you suggested that Stewart Robertson was on a par with Paul Murray.

That's enough for one day.

The issue is we don't know really

People can take sides all they want and as FF does its polar opposites

But there's obviously something going on that we don't know.

The accounts last year stated they resisted investment from family sphere investment and private investment ..... that might be the American thing going might be something different.

What we do know is that and what impacts us

We pay a premium price for a very poor service football aside. Ticket office, Web site etc, my gers ticketing etc etc

We have a board that wither right or wrong seems to pick fights with major shareholders and fan groups dk/c1872/ Union bears ..... again all 3 of them have their own problems associated with them

The Australian friendly alienated majority of not all of the fan base

Engagement is at an all time low we hold the engagement meetings half show up to moan half prob put good ideas across but by time they get to the board they get told no

There seems to be a attitude of this board about keeping the fans fighting among another very Murray like tactic .... that's our memories of it.... but they are not running club like Murray as far as we know which is a good thing.

I've stated many times Those on the board and investors, at least 51% of the board are pushing for profit to prime for sale.

Our club has enormous potential but th is board and investors probably realise they can't take that next step without massive investment. They will want make their money and move on

The other part is we are in a cost of living crisis which means the general punter or fan is under pressure their one joy in life is our club ......... the board although a business do have an element of reading the room and the current social responsibilitys as they are a massive part of scottish culture and can impact life's

At the moment they are getting it wrong and the general fan who's already under pressure is kicking off

Last edited:
Are you suggesting he has reached his ceiling and is not clever enough to be there, so in your opinion, George Taylor would be the same
Does that mean you believe Douglas to be the ideal man as he has built a business from scratch?
Paul Murray is an accountant, so according to you, he and Dave would be no good as they aren't business men bur more financial background
So what kind of businessmen would you like to see on our Board, someone with a football Club experience like Charles Green?
Can you explain who fits your bill as a businessman?
Paul Murray is a trained chartered accountant. But his career has diversified way beyond that. Business and entrepreneurial ventures have been dominant throughout his career. And I am sure you are aware of his involvement back in the day with Center Parcs. And are you aware what he is currently working on in Portugal? He's certain not conducting his business on the basis of being an accountant, that's for sure.

He was always good at gauging the mood of the fans and whipping up the support.

Whilst I have a lot of time for him his constant sniping via the media has become more than a little tedious. If he wants back in, make his move. If he doesn’t then express his views to the Board privately, as any other large shareholder would.
That’s exactly it. Put up or shut up.

There's an AGM coming up nearer the year end where people will be re-elected or removed.

Personally I think this is just the start of it and it could get nasty.

If you row back to DK wanting to offload his shares to Club 1872 and that failing miserably there's the start of the latest conflict.

Not so strange that DK jumped out after the Celtic and Ajax defeats rather than after we dumped PSV out of the CL tournament (i.e. a tad opportunistic)

I like DK and wouldn't be averse to him coming back but he isn't exactly clear on what he wants now that selling his shares to Club 1872 is never really going to happen.

A bit more clarity from the Board but also Dave King wouldn't go amiss but there is going to be a battkle for Board placements at the AGM I think.
Would Paul Murray be interested in coming back?

Who would?
If Gibson does move forward with intent and gets to a position of strength, he would simply appoint an individual who he feels is the best placed for the role.

Gibson will have no interest in being the actual chairman. It's not practical, logistical or what he actually wants to do anyway.

His strength would come in the form of business strategy, direction and overall philosophy/business process. As well as financial input, along with others.

Basically we need fresh faces, fresh input and fresh ideas.

And I believe that will happen.

Brian Kennedy or Iain macall who were interested in buying into Rangers at one time would have been good addition s on the board or chairman ?

I completely agree with you. It’s the day to day running of the club that bothers many it’s shambolic at times. This points imo to the CEO not being up to the job? A change needed there I think. Wilson gets never entstick maybe deserves a lot of it but is he working with a very tight budget and surely the manager has a big say in the signings?

E
The issue is we don't know really

People can take sides all they want and as FF does its polar opposites

But there's obviously something going on that we don't know.

The accounts last year stated they resisted investment from family sphere investment and private investment ..... that might be the American thing going might be something different.

What we do know is that and what impacts us

We pay a premium price for a very poor service football aside. Ticket office, Web site etc, my gers ticketing etc etc

We have a board that wither right or wrong seems to pick fights with major shareholders and fan groups dk/c1872/ Union bears ..... again all 3 of them have their own problems associated with them

The Australian friendly alienated majority of not all of the fan base

Engagement is at an all time low we hold the engagement meetings half show up to moan half prob put good ideas across but by time they get to the board they get told no

There seems to be a attitude of this board about keeping the fans fighting among another very Murray like tactic .... that's our memories of it.... but they are not running club like Murray as far as we know which is a good thing.

I've stated many times Those on the board and investors, at least 51% of the board are pushing for profit to prime for sale.

Our club has enormous potential but th is board and investors probably realise they can't take that next step without massive investment. They will want make their money and move on

The other part is we are in a cost of living crisis which means the general punter or fan is under pressure their one joy in life is our club ......... the board although a business do have an element of reading the room and the current social responsibilitys as they are a massive part of scottish culture and can impact life's

At the moment they are getting it wrong and the general fan who's already under pressure is kicking off
Excellent post/ point s

I think we all agree the board are not performing at the moment. My issue is everyone’s criticism appears to be they are not investing, and I personally believe they can’t. I don’t want a sugar daddy owner who comes in with nothing by moonbeams. My issue is the lack of communication, the constant battles we seem to be seeking with everyone and anyone, the lack of judgement with the australian friendly. That to me lies with the MD and not the chairman. However if the chairman doesn’t see the problem with the MD and replace him then I worry about his judgement!

That the 'MD' is still in his role tells you everything you need to know about the "leadership" at the club.

Hence why change is necessary.

The timing issue is a bit of an odd criticism IMO

Her Majesty ( may she rest in peace ) didn't choose the time of her death -
& I fully expect DK's concerns to have developed over an extended period well outside of recent events
Exactly why it's come into the public eye when it did - is probably as much to do with matters not in DK's control or timetable

Whether DK is still the Messiah or has become a very naughty boy - remains to be seen IMO

I'll always be eternally grateful for his actions in the past - but what he may or may not do in the present & future could easily blot an almost spotless copy book

But I certainly can't criticise him for speaking up when he feels something isn't right
He's earned the right to do just that several times over & like he says - he's still the biggest share holder

I'd prefer this dialogue to be carried out in private - but presumably the reason it's not - is because he isn't getting through to the board &/or is not confident of, or satisfied with, their response
( if that's true then it's worrying )

I feel the board could behave better when it comes to transparency - but recognise many things need privacy
But how easy is it give basic updates & statements without compromising legal private or secuity matters
I know what I'm describing is a ' fob off ' of sorts - but if those involved won't even attempt that - then you have to start wondering if - a). What have they got to hide ?
Or b). Do us fans come so far down their list of priorities - that they don't actually give a $hit ?

Either way it's pretty negative
And considering what we've been through - anything even slightly negative sounds louder alarm bells than they once did or probably should

So I'd urge the board to heed DK's letter & act according to our best interests at all times - & give an account of the intended basic policy going forward at least

Yes, we are making money and they are being fiscally responsible by trying to stabilize the club.
I get that mate but there is clearly more going on. The lack of any communication from the board other than to ask for money or tell the fans to behave has been shocking. It's not been fully right since King stood down. As for King it appears he doesn't care about any damage he does as long as somebody buys his shares.

I feel he wants a director to buy them and they quote rightly don't want to.
Probably correct on what he wants.

Probably correct that a Director will not buy them.

Why? Money spent on shares should go to the club and not into someone elses pocket if at all possible. What C1872 and King did was unforgiveable (and I am a Lifetime member of 1872) given that the club needed loans from all major shareholders and they did not help in a time of need.

Back