Davie Cooper Old Firm goal direct from a corner kick disallowed by Referee Bob Valentine

Nacho Novo

Was too young to have seen Davie Cooper play in the flesh, but came across this clip on Youtube earlier today, what an absolute disgrace of a decision. One of Cooper's finest goals and he scored many belters! Was referee Bob Valentine one of them? Might make the decision understandable!

I’m sure in the 87 skol cup final, Durrant got his head split open by Neil Simpson. Phil Boersma ran on the park to treat Durrant but Valentine wouldn’t let him on. When he did, the game got restarted with a drop ball on our penalty spot.

Bob Valentine wasn't so much pro Celtic he was just Anti Rangers
That was one of the most baffling/biased (not sure which) refereeing decisions I’ve ever seen.

Rangers player halved in the centre circle and the referee halts the action and then gives a drop ball in the Rangers box. Crazy stuff.

This was at a time when players actually contested a drop ball as well.

Was too young to have seen Davie Cooper play in the flesh, but came across this clip on Youtube earlier today, what an absolute disgrace of a decision. One of Cooper's finest goals and he scored many belters! Was referee Bob Valentine one of them? Might make the decision understandable!

A disgraceful decision in an altogether too familiar disgraceful display from Valentine.

Valentine shafted Rangers more than any other Referee. I'm sure he gave Celtic two penalties that same game.

I’m sure in the 87 skol cup final, Durrant got his head split open by Neil Simpson. Phil Boersma ran on the park to treat Durrant but Valentine wouldn’t let him on. When he did, the game got restarted with a drop ball on our penalty spot.

That was 2 years before I was born but the only thing I can say is...What?! Hows that even a rule...Mental man!!

Valentine shafted Rangers more than any other Referee. I'm sure he gave Celtic two penalties that same game.
I was at the game and they were two penalties to be fair. In today’s game Stuart Munro would have been off (handball on the line.
Valentines still a dirty cheating bassa though.
Cup final 89’ was his last game, the kunt!!

1989, I would’ve been 11, that was the first time I can remember being angry at ref whilst watching a game in tv. I can still remember the rangers news end of season awards for that year, “save of the season, Bob Valentine for saving Celtics season”

I was barely a teenager when Valentine was a ref. I used to hear the older Bears cursing this guy before games as a cheating wrong 'un.

You’re all bigoted, lying, idiots.
Referees have gave the scum nothing and Rangers everything since football began.

I remember a few other ridiculous decisions against us at the piggery in the 80s.

For example, a perfectly good Ian Redford goal disallowed in a midweek game.
Also a Robert Prytz shot over the line but not given as a goal.

Can't remember who the refs were.

Valentine always seemed to crave attention. So many of the games he refereed ended up with him being at the centre of post match discussions. That didn’t just apply to our games, but he did seem to make a lot of his more outrageous decisions against us.

On further reflection when you consider Valentine, Andrew Waddell and George Smith from back then, the standard of refereeing probably isn’t any worse these days despite our misgivings.

Honestly dont remember this...Did Valentine give a reason for not allowing the goal?

I’ve posted that Cooper ‘goal’ a few times, utterly scandalous that he blew for a non existent foul.

Bob Vatican was Scotland premier official too, considered to be the best, this said it all, he was atrocious.

Valentine was an even bigger cheatin bastard than Clancy, and that's saying something.

We also had that other cheating old bastard James Callaghan that copped an 8 week ban after failing to send off Yogi for assaulting Wullie Johnston.

But, but but....they're aw masons.

Nae bother.

Back