Davie Cooper Old Firm goal direct from a corner kick disallowed by Referee Bob Valentine

Was too young to have seen Davie Cooper play in the flesh, but came across this clip on Youtube earlier today, what an absolute disgrace of a decision. One of Cooper's finest goals and he scored many belters! Was referee Bob Valentine one of them? Might make the decision understandable!

Pretty sure they bar stewards went straight up the park and scored that day

Remember watching that live final on STV in 1977 when Valentine was ref

Shocking decision Paddy Crerand was co commentator and blurted "most certainly a penalty kick - two hands!"

That was 2 years before I was born but the only thing I can say is...What?! Hows that even a rule...Mental man!!
That was where the play was stopped when valentine noticed the rangers physio on the park after playing on I guess,i was at that game but can't say I remember the incident

On further reflection when you consider Valentine, Andrew Waddell and George Smith from back then, the standard of refereeing probably isn’t any worse these days despite our misgivings.
Far more tv coverage, more refs with better training fitness etc, rule changes, these wee clips are shameful but cheating is worse now than ever i dont see any poor standard we have good referees. Celtic have more influence in running the game, government and most of all media coverage of football. This obviously effects the match officials thinking or decisions during games.

Look at yesterdays game Rangers were struggling from the first minute, ref knew it his performance was fine i dont even think theres a thread on ref he had a good game Rangers tactics and play passing is nothing to do with the whistle. He is a good referee.

It was another example of a game where we could be doing with a bit of luck going our but this poor standard in Scotland and refs howlers never benefits Rangers, even a Rangers side miles ahead of the rest of the sides in the league doing the business in european competition too.

I remember a few other ridiculous decisions against us at the piggery in the 80s.

For example, a perfectly good Ian Redford goal disallowed in a midweek game.
Also a Robert Prytz shot over the line but not given as a goal.

Can't remember who the refs were.
I was at both those games Redford was right infront of us looked a good goal, the bottles started flying after McCloy dropped one in the last minute and McGarvey scored. The Prytz one was over according a guy I knew who was in the corner of the jungle , he was a decent lad no reason to lie. Valentine was a shit referee but worse than that he was a cheat. I think he was ref for the Redford one.

He wasn't poor.

He was a blatant cheating Rangers hating bastard.
Infectious too. Stood up at a referees meeting and told the others Gazza was taking the piss out of them and they were to treat him differently to other players. Like a “dangerous chemical” A few weeks later Gazza was sent off by Rowbottom for beating Weighorst to the ball.

Infectious too. Stood up at a referees meeting and told the others Gazza was taking the piss out of them and they were to treat him differently to other players. Like a “dangerous chemical” A few weeks later Gazza was sent off by Rowbottom for beating Weighorst to the ball.
Never knew that.

Isn't Waddell on an SFA committee even now?

He was and Big DJ has supposedly sworn on his son's life that he never handled the ball on our goal line that saw Celtic awarded the game winning penalty.

Valentine really was a Rangers hater.
No wonder - the ball cannoned off big DJ's knee. Valentine was Clancyesque in his bias against Rangers

The goal was disallowed because Fleck fouled the keeper?

Never seen anyone near the keeper.

Ridiculous decision - Fleck is nowhere near Bonner who was known for having issues with cross balls.

Up there with the incredible decision to allow Mark McNally to punch Ally McCoist's net bound shot off the goal line which should have resulted in a penalty and a red card.

He was a vile cheat and without the extensive TV coverage we get now he got away with so much anti rangers behaviour. I can remember him smirking as we all gave him pelters.

Was too young to have seen Davie Cooper play in the flesh, but came across this clip on Youtube earlier today, what an absolute disgrace of a decision. One of Cooper's finest goals and he scored many belters! Was referee Bob Valentine one of them? Might make the decision understandable!

Valentine is one of the Worst of the Worst of hating Rangers wearing Black, you knew this Rat would find something against us, “Spit and Eye” with that Barrister would go hand in hand. I think you will get how I feel about this piece of ****!

Ridiculous decision - Fleck is nowhere near Bonner who was known for having issues with cross balls.

Up there with the incredible decision to allow Mark McNally to punch Ally McCoist's net bound shot off the goal line which should have resulted in a penalty and a red card.
I've never seen this since. It was quite unbelievable.

Back