Davie Wilson has passed away

Before my time but a class act who scored so many goals for Rangers and Scotland for a left Winger.

RIP Davie and sincere condolences to your family and friends.

I remember running about as a boy playing in the street with my pals shouting I’m Davie Wilson,
RIP Davie my early Rangers hero.
As the youngest and smallest of my first group of pals, I was designated Wee Davie Wilson even before I knew who he was.

My Dad got me his autograph and I had the old blue v-neck strip my Mum sewed number eleven on.

My first and best hero, I met him when he was Dumbarton's manager but we both just talked about the Rangers.

This news has taken the wind out of my sails today.

The night Davie nearly got me killed! My 15th birthday. A soaking wet Tuesday night at Parkhead. A very good family friend and my oldest uncle’s best friend, a well-connected Celtic supporter, gave me two centre stand tickets for my birthday. The New Year game had been postponed due to frost and was played in April. John Hughes gave McKinnon a roasting in the first half and Celtic led 1-0. We were rubbish that night. Then Davie popped up from nowhere as Haffey strolled out to pick up a loose ball and turned it past him into the net. Me and my uncle were the only two Rangers fans around. I jumped up cheering . My uncle remained seated but grabbed my shoulder and dragged me back down into the seat. 60 years later the memory is still vivid.

I was at school with his brother in law at Shawlands and Davie took Dougie and myself to a couple of games when he was playing for Dundee United in teams near Glasgow and he was a wonderful person. As a player i remember his bravery and goals especially having to play at left back against England when Eric Caldow had his leg broken by that begasturd Smith. RIP Davie i will never forget you

Me & my dad sat next to him at the League Cup Final in 2011 (Jelavic & Weiss).

Guy came across as a gent, although he did leave halfway through extra time & never even returned :))

Rest easy sir.

Very sad news.

Condolences to his family and friends.

I’m sure I saw him working at the insurance office at Anniesland Cross after his playing days. Not sure. Perhaps he was a customer or an agent or something like that.

I'm really gutted to hear the sad news of wee Davie Wilson a true Rangers legend,I'm just half way through his book compiled by Alistair Aird,thank you for all the lovely memories Davie,my thoughts are with your dear family and friends at this sad time.

We at the Founders Trail send our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Rangers legend Davie Wilson.

Without doubt one of the greatest days we had was when Davie joined us on the Founders Trail and then unveiled the Tom Vallance painting for us at Ibrox Stadium. Davie was our guest of honour at our Founders Dinner in 2009.

He was an incredible player,a great ambassador for our club and a proper gentleman.

Thanks for the memories Davie.

RIP Davy. It was a great privilege watching you strut your talents, you were part of a trio we shall never forget. You were a credit to the Club, the fans and most importantly to yourself and family.

Sad news.My older relatives always said Davie Wilson was their favourite ever player.
Rest Easy Mr Wilson.

Sad day ..Davie was Rangers Royalty..class player and man ..Reading his book just now ..scored 6 goals v Falkirk in 1 game ..think he scored our first ever European goal as well ..let go by the club along with the great Jimmy Millar far to early ..he played for Dundee United for another 5 years and was inducted into their hall of fame along with ours a few years ago ...met him a couple of times at the shops (stayed in the same area)..gentleman ...RIP DAVIE

A sad day my favourite player when i was a boy, seen him score 6 at the old Brockville. RIP Davie

Used to go into my wife's work for bakery grub. When she found out he was a Rangers legend she said to him, my man is a good Rangers man, to which he replied, is there any other kind :)

Yes a true Gentleman and GREAT player.
My memories of him are the day he ran into me after scoring V Third Lanark at Cathkin(i was seated on pitch due to crowd overflow) and the night he was in my flat when he was selling insurance.

Will be sorely missed by all Gers fans---R.I.P. Davy.
Was at that game I was sitting on the touchline great memories of Davie running up and down the wing shouting to everybody to move f-----g back. Davie will always be remembered great goal scoring rate for a winger. RIP Davie.

Sad news.

Davie is related to my mum but I only ever met him a few times when I was younger. He took me and my mate on an Ibrox tour and that’s about my only memory of him, that and he could swear like a trooper!

So sad to hear of Davie's passing. He was my first Rangers Idol when I was a kid. Any time I pulled on my V neck Rangers top, I tried to play like Davie Wilson. What a player for our club, and a great member of a memorable Scotland team which often incuded many Rangers stars of the time, eg Caldow, Greig, Baxter, Henderson and of course Davie. RIP Sir, and thanks for the memories.

we’re losing a lot of legends lately. Really sad news, long before my time but always hear great stories.

RIP Davie.

I had the privilege of meeting and spending an evening in the company of Davie Wilson at a reception for Harold Davis.
It was absolutely fantastic being in the presence of a the man who was my hero ever since I was a wee boy, standing in the Enclosure with my Dad and Uncles.
My condolences and respect to all Davies family.
This is sad beyond words.
Safe in the arms of the Lord.
God bless you Davie.

Last edited:
Back