Davis, Arfield, McGregor and Defoe

Necro

This isn't entirely in reaction to yesterday although it's highlighted it in some cases, we simply can't go into next season with any of these guys being integral to our plans.

That's not to say that they should be bombed out or anything, they're all very capable when at their best. The thing is, they are all at the age where you can't just write bad form off as something they'll get over.

Davis has recently completely lost his ability to make even simple passes, McGregor's decision making has never been a particularly strong aspect of his game but it's getting worse week by week, Arfield will always give 100% but is let down by his touch and Defoe leaves a lot to be desired outside of the opponents penalty box.

I think that half of FF outright blaming players like Kent and Aribo is a cop out, they're young and experienced players are supposed to help them flourish rather than passing all responsibility onto them.

It's not our only problem by any means but I think that affection blinds people with these four in particular

Last edited:
Forget about their abilities as players and even the form they are currently showing, they should be the leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room. They don't seem to be helping at all.

Forget about their abilities as players and even the form they are currently showing, they should be the leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room. They don't seem to be helping at all.
Agreed, Tavernier gets endless abuse because he's wearing the armband, these guys should be acting as captains too

McGregor was poor at the goal yesterday but I think he has probably still been one of our better and most consistent players.

Come on mate your just making shite up to start a negative thread

mcgregor has been outstanding this season
Last week at St Johnstone a young CB made a pretty bad mistake, McGregor stays rooted to his line when he could have easily come out and dealt with it.

They score, Katic bombed out of the team and he escapes all blame.

That's not what I want from a GK or a leader

Since the winter break...........

Davis , like many others , has been absolutely dreadful domestically , since the shutdown . He's the player that should be showing the most composure in the midfield and probably the biggest offender in midfield .

defoe you shouldn't really be judging .

arfield has always been hit and miss .

mcgregor is a great keeper who is getting exposed by sloppy defending .

It doesn't prove that I'm wrong at all, I didn't call him a bad shot stopper.

Literally all the graph says is that he's not very busy and saves most shots on goal, nobody in their right mind disagrees with that
So if McGregor isn’t busy and saves at a higher rate than every keeper in the country, why are u greeting about him and wanting him replaced? Btw just wondering if you actually think Foderingham is better?

Mcgregor should be phased out next season to make way for mcrorie hopefully. Davis is done he has fallen off a cliff in terms of decision making and passing, absolutely frightening the way his form has dropped. Arfield has been decent of late but has never risen to form consistently and is frankly too slow. Defoe isn't in right system for our team, he isn't going to hold up the ball and he isn't going to outpace anyone he needs a partner but it can't be morelos as they both want to occupy the same space on the park.

Mcgregor?

You having a fvcking laugh?

If it wasn’t for him we’d probably be out of Europe and about 20 points behind in the league

give it a rest
The problem for me is that he’s went from looking invincible to having the look of a keeper who has a mistake in him.

So if McGregor isn’t busy and saves at a higher rate than every keeper in the country, why are u greeting about him and wanting him replaced? Btw is Foderingham better?
He doesn't save at the highest rate, your own link says so.

I want him replaced because he's almost 40 and he's not very good with his distribution, commanding his area, decision making and whether you want to admit it or not he's been more error prone than usual this season

He doesn't save at the highest rate, your own link says so.

I want him replaced because he's almost 40 and he's not very good with his distribution, commanding his area, decision making and whether you want to admit it or not he's been more error prone than usual this season
You’re right. %^*& all the games he’s kept us in and won us, get Fods back cause he can spray it to Goldson better.

You’re right. %^*& all the games he’s kept us in and won us, get Fods back cause he can spray it to Goldson better.
If you're happy with a 38 year old that's below average in most departments associated with the position that's your prerogative mate.

Mcgregor?

You having a fvcking laugh?

If it wasn’t for him we’d probably be out of Europe and about 20 points behind in the league

give it a rest
was just about to say similar? i cant think of any keeper i would rather have in goal apart from him at the minute. unless one of the andy goarm's was young again.

Arfield (and Hagi perhaps) is the only player that has shown any kind of drive, form or consistency since the break. He still has a part to play for me next season if played in midfield.

I do agree Davis looks absolutely done, that was a Matt Crooks performance from him yesterday, and since the break he has been slow, weak and misplaces a lot of passes.

McGregor looks like time is catching up with him and frankly I’m not sure he’ll last another season.

Defoe shouldn’t have been handed a new contract. His wages could have been better utilised, he’s a poacher against dross up here and not a guy you can rely on in big games.

McGregor hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was last season. Which is a concern when you factor in his age.

Defoe needs to be third/fourth choice next season, Davis and Arfield squad players and McGregor first choice keeper for me but backup needs signed

People are proving the last point made in this post with McGregor
Same with Jack. Barely seen a word against him but he has been as culpable as the rest, this season and last he has hid when the going has got tough in the same period.

Could take some posters more serious if they weren't so agenda driven.

McGregor should be replaced at the end of the season. Time looks as if it's caught up with him unfortunately.
He should dominate his area more.

McGregor has always been a bit over rated by some who clearly know nothing about being about being a goalkeeper. I think he's a good goalkeeper but he is way behind Goram,Klos and Woods (3 more consistent goalkeepers youd struggle to find in world football during their respective reigns).

He has always been an good shot stopper but he's average at the rest. At least he cares which is more than i can say for the others mentioned.

The players ability isn't in question. It's their bottle that is the problem. All look weak minded. The older ones, like Davis, are supposed to be leading. Instead they're hopeless.

What are you on about? His save rate is the highest in the league.
Read the thread and it will become obvious.

It isn't, Gilseppie's is and that's facing significantly more shots per game too.

McGregor averages one save every 70 minutes or so, probably averaging about the same in shots conceded currently

This isn't entirely in reaction to yesterday although it's highlighted it in some cases, we simply can't go into next season with any of these guys being integral to our plans.

That's not to say that they should be bombed out or anything, they're all very capable when at their best. The thing is, they are all at the age where you can't just write bad form off as something they'll get over.

Davis has recently completely lost his ability to make even simple passes, McGregor's decision making has never been a particularly strong aspect of his game but it's getting worse week by week, Arfield will always give 100% but is let down by his touch and Defoe leaves a lot to be desired outside of the opponents penalty box.

I think that half of FF outright blaming players like Kent and Aribo is a cop out, they're young and experienced players are supposed to help them flourish rather than passing all responsibility onto them.

It's not our only problem by any means but I think that affection blinds people with these four in particular

Are you serious? McGregor getting worse? %^*& off

Davis and Defoe should not have been given contracts for next season. I'm sure the money could have been used more wisely.

Just posted on another thread that it was wrong to give Davis, Defoe & McGregor contracts for next season at the time. Players of that age can go downhill very quickly.

I know yesterday’s performance was shocking but I can’t believe posters on here are having a go at McGregor given what he’s done over the past 2 seasons.

People need to calm down a bit as knee-jerk reactions aren’t going to help anyone.

All will have a role to play next season. Barring McGregor you can't expect them to play 3 games a week.

Back