Defence shouldn’t be the priority.

Moses Brox

Lot of talk about the defence and improving it. I’d like to freshen it too but if we don’t increase the number of chances we make & the players who can put them away we will get nowhere near the title. We’ve conceded 29 them 28. In comparison we’ve scored eight less. The money we have has to go on a new midfield & some forwards to lighten the load on Dessers. I’m hopeful for at least one solid centre back too but in my opinion creativity and attack must be the priority.

Lot of talk about the defence and improving it. I’d like to freshen it too but if we don’t increase the number of chances we make & the players who can put them away we will get nowhere near the title. We’ve conceded 29 them 28. In comparison we’ve scored eight less. The money we have has to go on a new midfield & some forwards to lighten the load on Dessers. I’m hopeful for at least one solid centre back too but in my opinion creativity and attack must be the priority.

Evening Michael…….

Thanks in a major way to Butland. Second top of league and our keeper in running for many accolades. There's a reason for that.

So you're happy having another season of Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun and Davies? Some buzz finishing 2nd...again. Some people will never learn.

Fix the spine of the team, 2 strong CBs, a proper 6, a decent 8 and a 9 that can actually hold the ball and finish. Then the rest can be built on it. That should be the only way to set a team up.

The defence has the habit of switching off, starting slowly and conceding the same type of goals far too regularly. And next year, some of them will be a little older and slower

It's a big concern

Last edited:
A new team is the priority

I really disagree. Three new CB’s are desperately needed. The amount of unforced errors from Goldson, Souttar, and Davies in the last two seasons has been painful to watch and often times Butland produces a world class save to keep the numbers lower, or the level of opposition skies it and we’re lucky that way. Add the injury history or Souttar and it’s a glaring need.

So you're happy having another season of Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun and Davies? Some buzz finishing 2nd...again. Some people will never learn.

Fix the spine of the team, 2 strong CBs, a proper 6, a decent 8 and a 9 that can actually hold the ball and finish. Then the rest can be built on it. That should be the only way to set a team up.
Not at all. And I agree I’d rather not see any of the central defence mentioned play for us again. frankly if all that we can afford is an 8 and a 9 I think the money spent on them.

We've conceded 8 goals to them this season and at least half of them have been absolute shockers. That's the way it's been for years and all the usual suspects have been involved, in some cases repeatedly. People can talk of Motherwell, Ross Co and Dundee, but the fact is that we took 1 point out of 12 against them. Winning the league with that record would be a miracle. Realistically, we need to take more points off them than they take off us in a season if we're likely to win the league and if we need to average 2 goals for a draw and 3 for a win, that's unlikely to happen. The defence 100% needs addressed.

I couldn’t disagree with you more! This is the exact thing that got Beale the sack. Were McGregor still in goals we would have conceded twice that number of goals. We also concede early on which puts us on the back foot the rest of the game! We also tend to concede the big goals when it matters and have no belief we can keep a clean sheet. Midfielders having to help out fullbacks doesn’t help and this season there were at times 3 players were trying to play the same position!

If we change our every single player in front of the back 4 for better players we still finish 2nd. If we upgrade at least 3 of the back 4 and don’t make another single signing we win the league.

Strong defences are the bedrock of winning teams. Not seeing that the defence is a priority is the reason we are in such a serious mess.

Defense was / is soft as Shyte!

Couldn't keep weans out of a close, how many goals to shots do our opponents score is embarrassing

Some of the goals we give away are an embarrassment, proper comedy stuff. We need a new centre back pairing then a solid midfielder in front to control games and organise people like Sterling, Cantwell and Diomande who have energy but lack tactical awareness

Every area of the team requires significant upgrades to be carried out but for me the defence needs sorted pronto. Tav probably won’t be replaced which means the other three positions will have to be upgraded.

We need a new spine to the team but I do believe in defending from the front and by scoring goals it takes the pressure of the defence.

As well as goals, the forwards work rate and hold up play is essential. Sadly Dessers badly lacks in this area, especially his holdup play, he can never get the ball under control and we lose possession far to easy.

Or wide men aren’t good enough, not enough goals or assist, Sima is probably the best we’ve got but he’s far from a £9m player in my eyes.

Clean sheets win games. We've failed to score in only 3 games this season (1-0 losses to Killie and Celtic, and draw with Dundee).

Without a ropey defence, our midfield can concentrate on linking and moving the ball forwards, instead of providing cover. And our forwards can stay up at set pieces and keep the game stretched.

And maybe with better defenders, we get the ball OUT of defence with more urgency, and give the opposition less time to set, thus improving our chances of scoring at the other end.

Beyond that, I just want players who play with urgency and want to dominate the opposition, regardless of what position they're playing. We did it at times this season, and were great. But, too often, we play with "slow patience", vulnerable to the sucker punch when pressed - our loss to Ross County being the epitome of this.

The fans have given up on Tavernier and Goldson despite them being the kind of players that'd win a lot more with 9 others on their level. Butland is that, I'm not convinced that Souttar is and Barisic might've been that player at one point, but he's leaving and probably dipped far below it too often. Yilmaz is a decent option but I don't see him getting the same level of stick for being injury prone as others.

Every area of the team requires significant upgrades to be carried out but for me the defence needs sorted pronto. Tav probably won’t be replaced which means the other three positions will have to be upgraded.
Then we’ll still have the outcome next season. And that goes if we keep any of Tav, Goldson or Borna. Two new CBs and a back up full back who can play either wing. Sterling and Yilmaz to start.

Was curious to what the actual going a goal down in the league numbers were , we’ve lost the first goal in 13/37 games so roughly 35% of games played.

Losing by 2 goals in 6/37 games 16% of games played

The amount of stupid goals we concede is ridiculous.

The past 3 seasons against them about 50% of the goals they scored against us have been avoidable.

Goalkeeper is the only functioning part of the team, the rest needs ripped apart and I’d be starting at the back. Beale should have done this last summer but sadly run about like a kid in a sweetie shop signing attacking players

Our whole team and structure is a shambles but defence creaks badly when under any sort of pressure, they need help from midfield but it’s poor

No idea where you're coming from at all here OP. The defence is our biggest issue. The majority goals we lose, particularly to the filth, are an absolute fucking joke. It needs sorted as a priority.

The defence is a shambles.

Just like midfield and attack.
Tbh is a combination

They don't defend as a unit

The front players don't hold the ball and are to static and rarely track back

The midfield are over run as trying to cover to much ground.

Inverting the fb leaves the wide areas open the cb are trying cover that as well

The distances began players is massive and to easy to play around

Add in to the skill,fitness and physicality of our players and its not hard to see

The players don't suit the tactics but the players are not good enough either anymore I think we need at least 1 cb 2 cm 1 striker that can hold up the ball in next year as starters.

We have players that are decent but the other injury prone ones we need rotate our for more robust players who can play 30 games a year

I agree with the OP.

Mistakes by defenders get highlighted.

Misses by attackers get forgotten.

Celtic’s attack is the difference between us and them. If we could hurt them anywhere near as much as they hurt us, we might stand a chance.

Back