Defending corners

Scoop

This is driving me up the wall . Super ally did it all the time and now gio is. When defending a corner we have every player in the box - no out ball - bearing in mind how great Alfie is at holding up - so when a team gets a free kick or corner - say we win header. It’s put out to their player straight away for another cross . They get two chances every time . I don’t get it at all - happened a good few times last night -

It's my pet hate as well. I would leave Kent up at the half way line as having someone with a bit of pace there gives the opposition something to think about. Alfie's handy to have in the box for his heading ability, he cleared one in the second half last night.

Last edited:
You need to blame the goalie for that one i'm afraid. Greegs has never been any good at coming for crosses so we need to over compensate by swarming the box.

It’s from the Andy Roxburgh/Craig Brown/UEFA coaching courses. The object is to defend to goal. Anything else is secondary.

Got the fear last night when the ball was going straight up in the air on the edge of the 6 yard box and he left it for Goldson to head clear rather than giving him a shout and collecting it himself.
It’s becoming more and more noticeable how reluctant McGregor is at coming out for any cross balls. He was never the best at it, but it‘s definitely become more of an issue now.

Defending corners and not stopping crosses at source has been our biggest issue this year, the latter has been a particular bugbear of mine.

Thankfully Goldson wins 99% of his headers and dominates our penalty box, as McGregor comes for absolutely nothing.
Aye. I'm sure it went to a Hibs player though, not Goldson't fault as he's just getting it cleared. If McGregor collects it then we get posession. Teams can basically whip a corner into our 6 yard box these days know there's almost no danger of the keeper collecting it. Drives me up the wall at the games.

Aye. I'm sure it went to a Hibs player though, not Goldson't fault as he's just getting it cleared. If McGregor collects it then we get posession. Teams can basically whip a corner into our 6 yard box these days know there's almost no danger of the keeper collecting it. Drives me up the wall at the games.

More and more teams are now putting their set pieces right in on top of McGregor.

They know he won't come for anything and it makes them very difficult for our central defenders to deal with.

This is driving me up the wall . Super ally did it all the time and now gio is. When defending a corner we have every player in the box - no out ball - bearing in mind how great Alfie is at holding up - so when a team gets a free kick or corner - say we win header. It’s put out to their player straight away for another cross . They get two chances every time . I don’t get it at all - happened a good few times last night -
McCoist inherited it from Walter.

McGregor flapping at cross balls is painful to watch , heart is in my mouth every time a cross comes into box.

Walter done this too.

At the time Fergie decided to leave 3 up on half way line for Man u. This meaning 4 people defending the break away if it happened, that leaving only 5 in the box to defend against.

I find this aspect, of an otherwise fine goalkeeper, infuriating.
It just shows how good he is at shot stopping. Where else would you find a keeper that can't collect a cross ball or kick a ball consistently as one of the top keepers in Britain.

Shagger used to come and punch the ball away. Now it’s pure rabbit in the headlights stuff. He’s planted on his line.

I would leave 3 up on the half way line. That way they will have to leave 4 back unless they are brave.

McGregor is absolutely useless at crosses but it doesn’t help if he has 18 people in the box around him. Keeping people up makes it easier for him to come out and collect

Walter done this too.

At the time Fergie decided to leave 3 up on half way line for Man u. This meaning 4 people defending the break away if it happened, that leaving only 5 in the box to defend against.
Attack is the best form of defence.

It may well be priority to defend against losing goal, fair enough.

However, if we must pull everyone back, what is absolutely criminal is allowing players to be unmarked on the edge of penalty area.

Both recent games against Ross County and tims, we get our head to initial cross only to lose goals due to opposition getting far too much space to knock it back towards our goal.

Mate if we leave 2 up say Kent and Morelos they need to leave 3 defenders back which reduces their chances of scoring.
Doing that leaves more space for opposing players who are in the box to run into and get a jump, actually making it easier to score. Its all about zones nowadays and loading these zones to block / stop runs / win the ball. The more bodies we have defending these zones, in theory, the harder for the opposition to score.

I get the theory behind it, but like you, I would rather we had an out ball. Gio seems very pragmatic though so I cant see it changing.

I would leave 3 up on the half way line. That way they will have to leave 4 back unless they are brave.

McGregor is absolutely useless at crosses but it doesn’t help if he has 18 people in the box around him. Keeping people up makes it easier for him to come out and collect
He still wouldn’t.

In the second half one of their corners landed around 3 yards out and he was still on his line.

Never understood why we don't leave a player up the park. Crazy not to actually.

Did Pedro not do that occasionally or is my memory failing me? Personally I think 3 is too much, but I'd definitely have 1 there and it would always be the quickest player in the team.

I think that aspect of McGregors game whilst never being very good has regressed even more this season

I've been banging on about McGregor for a while on here because he needs replaced. But one thing that's standing out even more this season is how small he is for a keeper.

Last night a Hibs player hit a curling shot that was going in the far corner. McGregor pulled off a "wonder save" but realistically most keepers 6ft3 and above would've probably just caught it.

Same when O'Riley hit a free kick into him in the OF.

Did Pedro not do that occasionally or is my memory failing me? Personally I think 3 is too much, but I'd definitely have 1 there and it would always be the quickest player in the team.

He may well have done.

I think 1 is a waste of time as teams usually have 2 back anyway. Keeping 2 or 3 right up on the halfway line makes them have to think more about how many players then can commit.

Statistically there will be a reason for packing the box but I think it just results in stressful situations and the opposition nearly always getting another cross due to us not having anybody up field

When defending a corner Get Kent or Sakala up to the halfway line will take 2 defenders away with any one of them
Kent / Sakala aren’t going to win a header in our 6 yard box and will help relieve the congestion whereby any deflection can result in a goal

Every corner or crossed ball is a heart in mouth moment with McGregor in goals. The amount of easy balls he doesn't collect is scary.
He is still a good shot stopper, but he'll cost a lot more goals this season and put huge pressure on the defenders.
He's been one of our great goalkeepers, but it's time to move on.
His shouting at everyone was fine when he was blameless, but now it looks a bit like deflecting the blame.

This is why I'd play McLaughlin, numerous times again last night McGregor wouldn't come off his line to collect crosses into the box.
There was one corner dropped virtually right on his head and he still managed to avoid going for it. He must have jumped into the goal. Then he rages at Barisic for letting a cross come in. I'm surprised none of the defenders rage at him!

There was one corner dropped virtually right on his head and he still managed to avoid going for it. He must have jumped into the goal. Then he rages at Barisic for letting a cross come in. I'm surprised none of the defenders rage at him!
Any goalkeeper would be pissed off at both Barisic and Tav for not learning lessons. Its basic defending ffs. I've been critical of McGregor this season but no wonder he loses the plot with this.

He may well have done.

I think 1 is a waste of time as teams usually have 2 back anyway. Keeping 2 or 3 right up on the halfway line makes them have to think more about how many players then can commit.

Statistically there will be a reason for packing the box but I think it just results in stressful situations and the opposition nearly always getting another cross due to us not having anybody up field
Yeah that’s what I think - 2 crosses into our box for price of one - inviting pressure on to ourselves

Added to the fact that our corners are absolutely rubbish is a big concern. Why is every corner we take outswinging while an inswinging corner usually causes panic. Well it does when we defend them. Really quite sad how poorly we defend and attack set pieces

Added to the fact that our corners are absolutely rubbish is a big concern. Why is every corner we take outswinging while an inswinging corner usually causes panic. Well it does when we defend them. Really quite sad how poorly we defend and attack set pieces
We take outswingers because most goalies deal with inswingers. We panic at inswingers because ours doesn't.

Any goalkeeper would be pissed off at both Barisic and Tav for not learning lessons. Its basic defending ffs. I've been critical of McGregor this season but no wonder he loses the plot with this.
Yes and its basic goalkeeping ffs. Maybe he'd learn lessons if the defenders lost the plot with him.

Thankfully Goldson wins 99% of his headers and dominates our penalty box, as McGregor comes for absolutely nothing.
Goldson is only one man.
We will always be susceptible to high balls into the area when we have a keeper so poor at crosses.
The fact that Bassey is really poor in the air at CH is a real problem also.
Every high ball into a busy penalty area is a potential issue.

We rely on Morelos to win the ball in defence which he does quite well at, Boyd also did this while at Rangers.

Alfie did well back defending in our own box.

Back