Defoe - Winners Medal

Yup. Needs 10 appearances. Today was his 9th, so just one to go.

According to Transfermarkt. Games listed here:

EDIT: TM have this one wrong. They’ve missed his subs appearance at Motherwell in the 1-5 game. So today was appearance number 10.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Looks like stupidity has cost one of them a medal.

He'll still get a medal. The club are given a set amount to award to players, staff etc. In the past if a player didn't make enough appearances to automatically qualify for one, the club could petition for him to get one. Think Sir Alex did that for Alan Smith, Andy Goram and Henrik Larsson at Man United.

He'll still get a medal. The club are given a set amount to award to players, staff etc. In the past if a player didn't make enough appearances to automatically qualify for one, the club could petition for him to get one. Think Sir Alex did that for Alan Smith, Andy Goram and Henrik Larsson at Man United.
Dunno how many times I’ve posted this now.

That is incorrect. The Club get 25 medals for players and staff and can purchase more. However, players can only be given medals if they have appeared in 25% of matches, or 10.

I’ve posted the rule umpteen times now. C39 I think it is, if you want to go look. Page 43:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Rules and Regulations 13-Jan-21 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

In fact, I will save you the bother:

C39 The Company shall present to the Champion Club of the League 25 League Championship Medals for Players, other staff and Officials. Additional League Championship Medals may be purchased from the Company with the prior consent of the Board. Only those Players who participated in 25% or more of the League Matches for the Champion Club in the relevant Season will be eligible to receive such medals.

That is incorrect. The Club get 25 medals for players and staff and can purchase more. However, players can only be given medals if they have appeared in 25% of matches, or 10.

I’ve posted the rule umpteen times now. C39 I think it is, if you want to go look. Page 43:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Rules and Regulations 13-Jan-21 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

C39 The Company shall present to the Champion Club of the League 25 League Championship Medals for Players, other staff and Officials. Additional League Championship Medals may be purchased from the Company with the prior consent of the Board. Only those Players who participated in 25% or more of the League Matches for the Champion Club in the relevant Season will be eligible to receive such medals.

Calm down, fella. You seem a bit uptight for a beautiful Sunday. B-)

When I'd originally read that a few weeks ago the wording seemed slightly unclear on the highlighted bit. I initially read it as being that only the extra purchased ones were subject to the 25% stipulation. So didn't know if the original batch could be handed out freely.

Cant imagine that's actually the case though

Looks like the only player missing out at the moment is Jon McLauchlin but surely its 9 appearances, not 10.

In England they made it you only need 5 appearances for a medal, makes it easier for squad players signed in January to get one.

Think that was done in part because of how common it was for clubs to petition/purchase medals for the players that didn't qualify. On the surface it seems a bit silly you can get a medal for just five appearances, but in fairness some fringe players actually contribute massively to a title winning season in limited appearances.

I’m cool mate - but, honestly, the same stuff has been posted dozens of times. Fast approaching ‘can Jelavic play in Europe’ status.:))

I won't lie - I thought the SPFL had moved with the times like other leagues in Europe and relaxed the required appearance threshold. My entire basis for this was Football Manager though.

Lots of our fringe players will get game time once it’s wrapped up. Everyone deserves a medal

It's pretty stupid. The league should ask the club how many they want and supply them free of charge.

Imagine Wright got injured in his first training session with us. On the last day of the season we're level with the scum. They draw 0-0 and we win 1-0 with a Scott Wright screamer in 93rd minute. He just has to stand and watch everyone else get a medal? :D dumb

What a perfect way for Defoe to end his career with a league winners medal for Rangers.

He might play on or move elsewhere but I am so pleased for him, you couldn't wish for a better professional and his goals per game record is outstanding.
Defoe will finish his career this year as a Champion

I think it is a very fitting way for JD to finish his playing career, with a league medal round his neck and the adulation of every Rangers fan for the rest of his life. A top pro, who has taken the club to his heart. I will cheer extra hard when he goes to get his medal.

Back