Defoe

Gio Letting him go was a mistake not only because he would have been a better bet than Itten but Aribo and Kamara both looked up to him and they haven’t looked the same players since he left ……
Was hooked after an hour last night for Sunderland - Fotmob had his rating as the lowest on the pitch.

He's 40.

Kamara’s been poor for majority of the season, Defoe left in January. Aribo’s forms also dipped since he came back from AFCON.

This place really is crackers.

Defoe leaving has had an effect on Kamara and Aribo’s form.

Was he controlling them by way of a voodoo doll? Or are Kamara and Aribo that mentally weak at the thought of their wee pal saying bye bye to them?

I loved that we signed Defoe and wished we’d had him years earlier and delighted he got his first League winners medal with us, but let it go mate. he’s 40 and im sorry he wasn’t going to get a game and Gio was bringing his own team in so there wasn’t a place in the coaching set up

For his continued growth and success as a coach he had to leave and I wish him well and thank him for being at our club.

Gio Letting him go was a mistake not only because he would have been a better bet than Itten but Aribo and Kamara both looked up to him and they haven’t looked the same players since he left ……
Another... massive mistake.
First to renege on the deal about his coaching role, and then let him a 'legend' walk away, when he could easily still be helping us. Behind the scenes.
Or on the pitch... is unforgivable.

Don't worry, he'll write nice things about us in his book.

I genuinely think the biggest motivation in defoe leaving was defoe himself. Yes he's old by football standards but he's still got enough quality to be effective at certain levels. I think we'd have been happy him staying with his minimal role as and when required but his personal pride and desire to be a bigger part conflicted

I think aribo etc probably miss having him about but I doubt it's a huge concern for them. Teammate friends and guys you respect will come and go all the time

Christ, can some folk not just not accept he has left us and MOVE ON !!!

He would have scored a few this season under Gio with the amount we create. I’d have kept him knowing the 5 subs rule was coming in.

Eh ? Aribo has been brilliant, took a few games after ACN but he's back to being great again.

We all liked Jermaine Defoe. He's a good guy, positive influence, good for morale, but we're really goosed if our title defence suffered because we let a 39 year old leave.

You do Aribo and Kamara a great disservice also. They're not wee boys.
25 & 26 yo respectively.

They don't need their uncle Jermaine they are grown men.

I mean, come on tae %^*& OP. What a load of nonsense. If they go back down South to play for different clubs are they going request they get Jermain Defoe on a time share?

On Defoe leaving, he's not scored a goal in League 1 yet for Sunderland and he's probably nowhere near match fitness. He wanted to leave and play football for a while longer, I can only assume Gio told him he had no plans to use him and that he'd be best finding a new club. He left with all the goodwill in the world, on both sides but we should have held onto him for sentimental reasons.

It's fucking amazing what goes through some folks head at times, it really is. 25/26 year old internationals moping around Auchenhowie with wee sad faces cos Uncle JD is away. Not playing as well cos they're wandering about the pitch thinking about him. Magic.

Another... massive mistake.

First to renege on the deal about his coaching role, and then let him a 'legend' walk away, when he could easily still be helping us. Behind the scenes.
Or on the pitch... is unforgivable.

You’ve just dobbed in your other username, Invincible :)

Disagree, this can't be based on the player Jermaine Defoe is today. There's a reason why Gio let him go and Gerrard the man who brought him to the club was happy for him to sit in a Sky studio rather than have him in the squad on a match day.

Back