Derek Ferguson / The Blues Brothers

People jumping in as if he has said this to BBC, it's been said on a podcast with Tom. Nobody corrected him, not Durrant, Tom or Rikki, its maybe how Derek remembers it , even if he is wrong

Derek is a breath of fresh air on the podcast and speaks very passionately about his club, if he's wrong you should point it out to them on their twitter page, I'm sure he will clarify it next week.

It wasn't as if every game was a sell out back then.
I spent most of that season in the West Enclosure and the only time I managed to get into the East was v Dundee, which was pay at the gate!!

I,ve been saying it for years,Derek Ferguson is a bellend.The very same man who was delighted when we were pumped up at Perth 2010 where Papac got our only goal.

Last edited:
Maybe he suffers from the "Mandela effect"?

He often gets things wrong. He's talked before about the 1986 league cup final, where he said they scored first and we fought back with equaliser from Durrant and winner from Cooper. We actually scored first, they equalised, we got winner from a Cooper penalty.

I dont hold it against him for odd mistakes.

I genuinely can’t believe how he has turned on our club

BBC Scotland has warped his memory and his views are so bitter

He is really taking the piss if that’s his memory as it’s complete lies
Nothing wrong with his memory which is exactly why so many people on here despise him. He's the worst c**t

Stopped listening to the podcast because of him, loves to hog the microphone too much. Rangers man when it suits him.

Derek Ferguson should never be on that podcast, blues brothers, don’t make me laugh. I sincerely hope Durranty pulled him up on that comment. Not even because it’s the insulting to the Rangers support, it’s just nonsense.

I don’t think that’s what he was implying. Derek is a good guy albeit his judgement was wrong on this one. I’m sure he’s not the only guy who’s said something that’s made himself look daft.

calling him thick, a prick, a c*nt etc. Isnt acceptable IMO.

He is suggesting Ibrox was half empty because the club signed a catholic. The attendances at the time prove this to be completely untrue. This is a myth which has been promoted for years by Celtic supporters and anti-Rangers journalists designed to damage the reputation of Rangers football club. There is no excuse for Derek Ferguson to promote this lie.

But for his stupidity in not willing to learn from Souness (one of the greatest midfielders Scotland ever had), Derek Ferguson could have been a Rangers great. It seems as if he carries a large chip on his shoulder re the Club for some reason. Rather pathetic and sad with the only loser continuing to be Derek Ferguson.
I don’t get that impression from listening regularly to the Blues Brothers podcasts.
He seems to recognise he wasn’t the most professional of players when it came to lifestyle. He does repeat often that he played in the same position as the manager and partly tongue in cheek blames that.
Overall he seems to know leaving Rangers was on him alone.
However the basic point of the thread is true in that he said that we were playing to half empty stadiums but then the punters came back. This was plainly not true and didn’t make sense.

I don’t think that’s what he was implying. Derek is a good guy albeit his judgement was wrong on this one. I’m sure he’s not the only guy who’s said something that’s made himself look daft.

calling him thick, a prick, a c*nt etc. Isnt acceptable IMO.

I like Derek. I don't believe that he has turned on the club at all. He seems like a nice guy.

But he comes across as thick and has a storied history of talking shite. This latest podcast being a prime example.

Coming out with fabricated nonsense like this crap about Johnston's signing hands ammunition to those who wish to paint the Rangers support in a negative light. I'm sure he did so unwittingly - but that is kind of the problem with Derek. Lack of wit.

I make the Valletta home game the smallest home attendance Johnston would have played in, 20,627. He also played in the home East Stirlingshire League Cup game, 25,595. There were a couple of other circa 29,000 attendances he may have played in, I can’t be bothered looking them up.

Everything else was a minimum 30,000. I guess Ibrox had a much bigger capacity than I thought during Johnston’s spell at Rangers.

I like Derek. I don't believe that he has turned on the club at all. He seems like a nice guy.

But he comes across as thick and has a storied history of talking shite. This latest podcast being a prime example.

Coming out with fabricated nonsense like this crap about Johnston's signing hands ammunition to those who wish to paint the Rangers support in a negative light. I'm sure he did so unwittingly - but that is kind of the problem with Derek. Lack of wit.
I reluctantly agree with what you’re saying mate. Just doesn’t sit right with me people coming online calling him a c*nt etc.
with regards to the issue at hand, I can’t argue he’s promoting a false story that paints the club is a poor light, which is disappointing

Fact truth and accuracy ? It will never catch on, just ask McNamara or Paul Elliott
Never let facts get in the way of a story.
Unfortunately Derek has form when dealing with truths, which is disappointing.

Strongly dislike Derek, he’s an attention seeking c.unt who always opens his mouth before thinking.

Barry is my hero but he also chats some amount of pish in the media.

Last edited:
Strongly dislike Derek, he’s an attention seeking mongo who always opens his mouth before thinking.

You are correct I do talk pish in general, but thankyou for describing me as your hero mate, I'm touched. :p

The use of the word mongo is not cool at all though, imo.

Both Fergusons are thick as mince.
Strongly dislike Derek, he’s an attention seeking mongo who always opens his mouth before thinking.

Derek Ferguson should never be on that podcast, blues brothers, don’t make me laugh. I sincerely hope Durranty pulled him up on that comment. Not even because it’s the insulting to the Rangers support, it’s just nonsense.
Derek and for that matter Barry may not be the sharpest of knives in the drawer but they do come across as genuine in their media work which sets them apart from 90% of those in similar positions.

The fact they grew up Rangers supporters and played for the club, brilliantly, does not mean they should be in the news cycle praising everything Rangers and slating anyone who disagrees. There is way too much of that from other quarters and it is an embarrassment to all those concerned, plus those who give it their time.

Whether you like what he says or disagree it doesnt matter because that is the very point of him doing this Podcast and other media stuff. He says what he thinks and people react and discuss. On that score both Ferguson brothers are winners in my book.

Damn the eyes and strip the britches off the backside of those suggesting otherwise.

Sorry but what fecking chance have we got with idiots like this, On Twitter @tomcommentator says Derek Ferguson said last week when Maurice Johnston signed for Rangers Ibrox was half empty until he started to score then everybody came back. Tom has said he will correct that comment this week
Sorry if already been discussed 1st time I've seen it

People jumping in as if he has said this to BBC, it's been said on a podcast with Tom. Nobody corrected him, not Durrant, Tom or Rikki, its maybe how Derek remembers it , even if he is wrong

Derek is a breath of fresh air on the podcast and speaks very passionately about his club, if he's wrong you should point it out to them on their twitter page, I'm sure he will clarify it next week.
Not sure it matters all that much where he said it. These things get spread around. I hope he does correct it.

Derek and for that matter Barry may not be the sharpest of knives in the drawer but they do come across as genuine in their media work which sets them apart from 90% of those in similar positions.
The fact they grew up Rangers supporters and played for the club, brilliantly, does not mean they should be in the news cycle praising everything Rangers and slating anyone who disagrees. There is way too much of that from other quarters and it is an embarrassment to all those concerned, plus those who give it their time.
Whether you like what he says or disagree it doesnt matter because that is the very point of him doing this Podcast and other media stuff. He says what he thinks and people react and discuss. On that score both Ferguson brothers are winners in my book.

Damn the eyes and strip the britches off the backside of those suggesting otherwise.
he can say what he likes he can’t spew factually inaccurate bullshit that has been used by our haters for years against us

again, he’s entitled to his own opinion he’s not entitled to his own facts

Last edited:
Again repeating the lie that Rangers were running out to half empty stadiums after Mo Johnston signed.

Well if I remember correctly his first game was against Spurs in a pre season friendly and Ibrox was full.
I think this shows the effectiveness of conditioning. You know the Rangers bad bigots mantra. So effective it’s created an entirely fictional ‘reality’ among the supposed ‘Rangers minded’.
Season ticket sales went up in Mo Jo’s first year. He was embraced warmly by the vast vast majority yet its the actions of 30 or so who returned season tickets that everyone is encouraged to remember as representative of the entire support.

That’s all well and good and you’re entitled to your opinion, but if he makes a mistake he should be corrected and if he tells a blatant lie then he deserves dogs abuse.

Nobody has any issue with being genuine or offering an honest opinion that's fine.

Just don't tell lies that play right into the hands of the club they profess to love enemies.

That’s all well and good and you’re entitled to your opinion, but if he makes a mistake he should be corrected and if he tells a blatant lie then he deserves dogs abuse.
Nobody has any issue with being genuine or offering an honest opinion that's fine.

Just don't tell lies that play right into the hands of the club they profess to love enemies.
He may well honestly believe what hes saying and just be wrong, plenty of pundits are about many things. Its not like hes taking something and spinning it in an attempt to discredit or undermine the club, which again many pundits do.

In terms of what he says I suspect his tone and speed of speech make him sound somewhat thick but in fact I find he is more than capable of formulating his thoughts into something that makes sense, whether hes right or wrong.

I can think of many pundits who struggle to construct sentences with anything close to correct grammar and even a few who struggle to construct a sentence of any kind. Those people are genuinely thick.

I think this shows the effectiveness of conditioning. You know the Rangers bad bigots mantra. So effective it’s created an entirely fictional ‘reality’ among the supposed ‘Rangers minded’.
Season ticket sales went up in Mo Jo’s first year. He was embraced warmly by the vast vast majority yet its the actions of 30 or so who returned season tickets that everyone is encouraged to remember as representative of the entire support.

Since Mo signed we have had loads of creeds and colours some of the players who have been idols to the support have been Catholics, not one Rangers fan I knows cares about the religion or colour or our players and I have never known any to.

Never once has the support been giving any credit for moving with the times anytime its brung up its in a negative sense and its made out that we all hate Catholics which isn't the case.

Its really tiresome now

Love wee Durranty on the podcast, Ferguson gives nothing, he's just rubbish..Somebody sent a message asking Durranty if he got abuse at CP in the stand, he said yes but it was only banter, Ferguson says he gets treated very well at CP, Tom Miller seemed to contradict him.?

Love wee Durranty on the podcast, Ferguson gives nothing, he's just rubbish..Somebody sent a message asking Durranty if he got abuse at CP in the stand, he said yes but it was only banter, Ferguson says he gets treated very well at CP, Tom Miller seemed to contradict him.?
No, Tom says something along the lines as he gets abuse from them.

Ferguson says when working there he gets treated well

I think its been mentioned before but 2 hosts kind of gets in the way of the entire reason for the Podcast - Durrant and Ferguson discussing Rangers.

Id go to one host and whoever that is someone smart enough to be a guide only to the conversation, taking a backseat to the studio guests.

Clive Tyldesley would be very good I think.

Our average attendances from the Fitba stats website. Bear in mind the capacity at Ibrox was about 44000 back then I think and the season ticket culture was not as ingrained as it is now. Seasons 1989/90, 1990/91 and part of 1991/92 are when Mo played.
And likewise what about the myth that only 4 thousand were turning up at Ibrox every week pre Souness?

It's true one or two games had crowds under 10k. But I'm sure we still had the highest average attendance in the league throughout the 80's despite the team struggling
Yeah I edited the post with our lowest also, didn’t realise the website had that also. Before my time personally as born 91

Yeah I edited the post with our lowest also, didn’t realise the website had that also. Before my time personally as born
Their average was less than ours but that was during their biscuit tin tax dodging years. I'm sure plenty Celtic officials are on record talking about the biscuit tins. Can't imagine HMRC ever decided to interview these people.

Back