Derek McInnes named Scottish Premiership Manager of the Season

Well done to him. No complaints from me. It'll be interesting to see how well they do season after next when they have a sensible, fair playing surface.
Don't mind McInnes. He might well manage us one day down the line. But not yet, not yet.

He had Aberdeen at the highest they could be every season for years and has done very well with Kilmarnock, no issue with him getting the award. He’s clearly a decent manager for this league.

It’s a reason why I wouldn’t be against trying to get one or two of these teams better players, they are well drilled in the defensive side of the game, which is what our manager was saying our players haven’t been doing.

McInnes should have been appointed when Warburton left.

He would have stabilised the club, built solid foundations and given it back a sense of itself.

To bring Pedro Caixinha in from a mid-table desert side was an act of lunacy that should have seen those responsible committed to a mental hospital never mind removed from post.
McInnes was offered the job, albeit a few months on from when Warburton was sacked and for whatever reason didnt take it.

If we had appointed McInnes he would have improved us but not enough to have stopped 10IAR in my opinion. Not appointing McInnes and having the opportunity to appoint Gerrard seven or eight months later turned into a blessing.

Derek McInnes has been named Scottish Premiership Glen’s Manager of the Season for 2023/24.

Under his leadership, Killie secured fourth place in this season's top flight and earned a place in the Europa League qualifiers for 2024/25.

The Ayrshire side secured top six football with a draw at Tynecastle in March before securing their spot in Europe in the first games in the top six, culminating in a 1-0 triumph over St Mirren in Paisley.

Derek McInnes said: "I am delighted to accept this award, like any individual award there is a whole support team that's played their part in it.

"Having brilliant staff, I am recognising the effort from all of them, and the efforts of the players. The club is working as one and everyone is contributing.

"When positive results play out on the pitch and individual awards get given, it's indicative of the club doing a lot of things right off the pitch."
Correct decision. Deserves it most

McInnes was offered the job, albeit a few months on from when Warburton was sacked and for whatever reason didnt take it.

If we had appointed McInnes he would have improved us but not enough to have stopped 10IAR in my opinion. Not appointing McInnes and having the opportunity to appoint Gerrard seven or eight months later turned into a blessing.

I’d heard at the time he was offered an interview, but told them he wasn’t interviewing - if they wanted him then to offer him the job.

Six and half a dozen though I suppose.

Decent season for them finishing 4th compared to bottom 6 last season. I do think their position has a lot to do with how bad Aberdeen and Hibs have been though. You could argue Dundee finishing top six is a bigger achievement, having just been promoted. Also Dochertys first season as a manager
I wonder where Dundee would’ve finished if they put the right amount of money into their pitch and infrastructure though?

Mad that we're now all back to rating him highly enough to be given the job.

Fine to say that he can do a decent job at a smaller team and that he doesn't have the balls for a job like Rangers.

He also massively underachieved at Aberdeen.
What i find mad is that the club have spent a fortune on foreign players and went for 2 managers from abroad that looked pretty interesting appointments....... but we are still 2nd. Even so any mention of anyone from our league causes the same anger. You know he would fail if ever given the chance just by looking at his previous clubs, well Walter and Eck came from the same league.

You say we are back to rating him id guess a lot of posters have always liked him and feel there is a bit more to picking managers than looking at some stats.

Currently sitting 12 points behind the wee rat at hearts who is in his first year of management
Well done on his award but there is a huge difference in being manager of Killie and manager for us and the expectations for both teams. He hardly had the greatest record against the tramps when as Aberdeen manager either and if it's true what others have said on this thread that he was previously offered an interview and said no then sorry but... It's a no from me

We should have appointed him when Gerard left, I have no doubt he would have steadied the ship and brought the title home. Said at the time but was universally shot down in flames.

I love how you think you've somehow showed the doubters.

You were rightly shot down in flames.

Clear choice for me. Expect them to be better than the usual dross from Scottish teams in Europe as well.

Hard to break down and organised with some pace in attack. Might get through a qualifier or 2

Gets a lot of crap on here for turning us down. I don't blame him in the slightest for avoiding the disaster we were at the time. Definitely would take him in the future.

he's done well with what he had available - fair enough.

McInnes is a decent manager to a level, makes his teams hard to beat and sets them up well - he done the same at Aberdeen - but that's about it.

also wouldn't be a huge shock if he is the Scotland manager in the future.

You know things are bad when people are looking at McInnes as the solid choice for us. Well done to him by the way, but what a depressing appointment he would be for us.

McInnes manager of the year
Shankland player of the year.

As much as people never even accepted him as an option it could have been a very different story this year had we went with the obvious choices.

Well done Derek

Get the feeling the rogue SFA are trying to deflect attention away from GIFTING the Mhob yet another Micky Mouse title- Mr Rodgers clearly must have approved this!!!

Just when I thought the MM title years were gone!!!

Had they FAIRLY been miles ahead (or FAIRLY won by a single point) there would have been no complaints from me.
You should've stopped after "Well done Derek" ya paranoid crackpot.

Being linked to Hibs, can't see why he would go there and join the manager merry-go-round especially when they have European football.

Well done Derek

Get the feeling the rogue SFA are trying to deflect attention away from GIFTING the Mhob yet another Micky Mouse title- Mr Rodgers clearly must have approved this!!!

Just when I thought the MM title years were gone!!!

Had they FAIRLY been miles ahead (or FAIRLY won by a single point) there would have been no complaints from me.
Ffs

I’d heard at the time he was offered an interview, but told them he wasn’t interviewing - if they wanted him then to offer him the job.

Six and half a dozen though I suppose.
Hadn't heard this before. Bit arrogant of DM if true.

He's clearly a good manager, and I think deserves his award, but is he a winner with a club that's expected to win more than the occasional shiny silver thing? I guess there's only one one way to find out. Don't think it'll happen, though. And I hope that it doesn't happen any time soon, because that will mean Big Phil hasn't done the business!

Congratulations to a good manager. Don't go to Hibs, please.

Why does there have to be mad paranoia on every single thread?
Maybe it's just that some folk can't turn a blind eye to crystal clear slow motion images and the appointment of serial rogues in important games.

Sorry pal

I hope it works out for Phil and he's here a long time, but whenever the time comes I think Derek McInnes is next for us and would be a solid appointment.
I agree don’t get all the hate for him turning us down- he obviously knew at that time it was too big a job. Would they rather he took it and set us back the way Beale did?

Yup correct decision. The spl is a better place with Derek in it. I’m keeping an eye on the Dundee manager next season Dereks former assistant but he seems to be doing decent things which again can only be good for our league rather than the manager sack circle who offer nothing. With Utd back in next season can only make it more competitive. Not that much of these teams can take much points of us and them but it only
Makes the league more difficult

5-0 defeat to them and now we want him for manager. Really!
Took much more points off them than we did this season mate. Wouldn't want him over Clement of course but give the guy some credit. He's a good manager and I suspect he will manage us one day.

Aberdeen got to a Cup Final and were a penalty kick away from a 2nd this season.

McInnes has done well and is a good manager in SPL terms. I’m not sure he has done anything above what might be considered expected.

Naismith has done better at Hearts.

Took them from the Championship to 4th place and Europe on a tiny budget. Can't argue with that.

Reactions: VGM
Back