Derek McInnes named Scottish Premiership Manager of the Season

McInnes manager of the year
Shankland player of the year.

As much as people never even accepted him as an option it could have been a very different story this year had we went with the obvious choices.
what?

Are you suggesting McInnes would've succeeded where Clement failed and won the league ably assisted by a striker whose record is similar to Dessers?

We should have appointed him when Gerard left, I have no doubt he would have steadied the ship and brought the title home. Said at the time but was universally shot down in flames.
Maybe we did ask him and he peppered his knickers in toley again.

what?

Are you suggesting McInnes would've succeeded where Clement failed and won the league ably assisted by a striker whose record is similar to Dessers?

What Shankland has missed more chances than Dessers this season? I find that hard to believe.

Decent season for them finishing 4th compared to bottom 6 last season. I do think their position has a lot to do with how bad Aberdeen and Hibs have been though. You could argue Dundee finishing top six is a bigger achievement, having just been promoted. Also Dochertys first season as a manager
They've done extremely well, but their wagebill is the same/marginal more than Killie's

There is a group of teams where it's a toss up season to season in terms of the last couple of top 6 places.

You can see why Dundee's underinvestment in the pitch has angered the likes of Motherwell, who have a wagebill probably in the bottom three.

This is all hypothetical and worst case scenario but if Clement brings in a new team over the summer, gets humiliated in the champions league qualifiers, lose a few league games and his new signings make Lammers and Dessers look like Messi and Ronaldo then he will obviously be out the door by November.

If the above nightmare scenario would to happen then McInnes is the only manager I would want.

I say that as someone who has not wanted him in the past but he is clearly a good manager and has his teams organised.

That’s exactly what we’ll need if Clement is not successful.

All hypothetical.

what?

I think he probably wouldn't have got us the results in the Europa group but would have had more consistency in the league and a better plan for old firm games. That's all that would have been needed to win it this year.

What Shankland has missed more chances than Dessers this season? I find that hard to believe.
Shankland has scored 7 more goals than Dessers having played 2 games more(3 of his goals are penalties) .

If you're looking for a slow paced striker who will net 20 a season we already have that and i dont see the point in spending millions to replace like for like.

Signing Shankland wouldn't have won us the league as you're suggesting given the performance of the other 9 outfield players behind him

Some absolute snobs in our support, guy knows the Scottish game inside out, has done brilliantly with two team that have a fraction of our budget but because he doesn't have a foreign sounding name no thanks. Probably the same guys who turned their noses at the thought of Lewis Ferguson or Lawrence Shankland.

Big Eck wasn't exactly managing Barcelona before he comes to Rangers and looks what he achieved

I think he probably wouldn't have got us the results in the Europa group but would have had more consistency in the league and a better plan for old firm games. That's all that would have been needed to win it this year.

McInnes record in Europe is very poor. He couldn't match a Ronny Dialla celtic team and theres no chance hes beating Rodgers to the title. We might enjoy the odd victory but that would be it.

Signing McInnes, or someone like him, would be an admission from the board that we are out of ideas and are accepting of second place with the odd cup thrown in here or there IMO

Some absolute snobs in our support, guy knows the Scottish game inside out, has done brilliantly with two team that have a fraction of our budget but because he doesn't have a foreign sounding name no thanks. Probably the same guys who turned their noses at the thought of Lewis Ferguson or Lawrence Shankland.

Big Eck wasn't exactly managing Barcelona before he comes to Rangers and looks what he achieved
Mcleish was only at Hibs before we took a punt on him and that is what it was, a punt. A manager willing to work under severe financial restrictions while the bank squeezed Murray.

We did well with Eck for the most part against a very strong celtic side but theres no way Derek McInnes would come into Rangers and win a mid season cup double followed by a treble.

Its not snobbery , its about ability.

Not doubting you here, just curious. What players? The Scottish ones with experience working with him, Jack and wright etc? Was this common knowledge and i had been living under a rock at that point ?

I must have been sharing that rock with you. Never heard that one before.

Still, he's had a good season, so fair play to him.

Mcleish was only at Hibs before we took a punt on him and that is what it was, a punt. A manager willing to work under severe financial restrictions while the bank squeezed Murray.

We did well with Eck for the most part against a very strong celtic side but theres no way Derek McInnes would come into Rangers and win a mid season cup double followed by a treble.

Its not snobbery , its about ability.
Didnt he get Motherwell second or third too?

Expand how? Name the players? No of course not why would i name people after having a conversation with them how stupid would that be? You can take my word for it if you wish? What reason would I have to lie?

Christ, mate, I wasn't suggesting you were lying.

Was just interested how you came to know this and perhaps how many players felt like this.

Worthy winner,There was a time when I would have taken him at Ibrox but he had his chance and turned it down that goes against him in my opinion.

Expand how? Name the players? No of course not why would i name people after having a conversation with them how stupid would that be? You can take my word for it if you wish? What reason would I have to lie?
Folk on here need every detail, it's hardly shocking stuff a few of our players would have wanted him to get the job. Hardly something you would just made up.

In 2013/14 where his team managed to avoid Celtic and beat Inverness on penalties.

Then lost 3 more finals against Brendan Rodgers side.

Congratulations on your award Derek, but Rangers need better than that.
So does that lessen Clement’s league cup win this season? Going by your logic, it does. Celtic were knocked out by Kilmarnock giving us a free run at the thing.

5-0 defeat to them and now we want him for manager. Really!
his team had nothing to play for last night and are already on the beach

He put them out a cup, beat them in the league at home and drew with them at celtic park

not saying i want him as manager, but on his limited budget he has done much better against them than we have so far this season , even with a 5-0 defeat

So does that lessen Clement’s league cup win this season? Going by your logic, it does. Celtic were knocked out by Kilmarnock giving us a free run at the thing.
What are you talking about?

McInnes sole major honour in over 17 years of management came 14 years ago, thats the point.

You’d still be shot down in flames and the shooters would be right
How can you possibly claim he’d have won the title?

when he’s left a club after management every single one of them were in a better league position when he left than they were when he took over. Can’t be much managers with that record.

the financial advantage that we have over other teams in the league is similar to Man City playing Leyton orient etc each week, even with that advantage our manager reverts us to long balls a lot of the time. If thats what he does when he has a massive advantage over the others then you couldn’t really make an argument he’d be able to take Killie to where they currently are.

Few folk saying that mate. As far as I’m concerned I wouldnt entertain him ever again. Bitter as fúck I know but that’s where I am with him.
Same mate. He was offered the job (not just an interview like some think) gave the impression he was accepting then left us high and dry at the 11th hour.

Sorry Derek but you had your chance.

In 17 yers management he’s yet to leave a club in a worst league position than when he took over. How many others can say that ?.
Not much to crow about - Bristol City bottom when he took over guided them to safety and then recorded a club record 7 straight losses and back among the bottom 3 , not a ringing endorsement .

The guy was part of the NIAR squad , scored in the champions league and played with some Rangers legends but hes never a Rangers manager .

Any more slip ups from the club and we could be staring down the barrel of another celtic terry munro bid. Appointing McInnes would be a slip up

Not much to crow about - Bristol City bottom when he took over guided them to safety and then recorded a club record 7 straight losses and back among the bottom 3 , not a ringing endorsement .

The guy was part of the NIAR squad , scored in the champions league and played with some Rangers legends but hes never a Rangers manager .

Any more slip ups from the club and we could be staring down the barrel of another celtic terry munro bid. Appointing McInnes would be a slip up
Slip up is being kind imo. It would be a disaster and as you say could lead to them having an excellent chance to get an actual 10.

Absolutely not for me, I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd be devastated if we gave him the gig.

I hope it works out for Phil and he's here a long time, but whenever the time comes I think Derek McInnes is next for us and would be a solid appointment.
Agreed. The Rangers & FF snobbery to management appointments is ridiculous. I reckon he would do very well at Rangers.

Manager of the Year award and folk on here have got him down as Jose Mourinho.

He would be a disaster at Rangers and everyone knows it.
no one knows f()ck all. He could very well be a disaster. On the other hand he could be a total success.

I always remember folk going mental when McLeish was appointed. He done not too bad, however, it did end up toxic at the end of his tenure.

It will not shock me in the slightest if McInnes is our next manager.. If it happens, hopefully after 4 years of success under Clement.

We should have appointed him when Gerard left, I have no doubt he would have steadied the ship and brought the title home. Said at the time but was universally shot down in flames.
Then forget about Seville because Derek McInnesball ain’t taking us to a European final.

It's utterly depressing how many in our fanbase are happy with McInnes taking over at Rangers 'one day.' As if we haven't been mediocre enough.

A half decent manager with Kilmarnock who play on a plastic pitch and, er, that's basically it.

Get this so far to fuck.

This is all hypothetical and worst case scenario but if Clement brings in a new team over the summer, gets humiliated in the champions league qualifiers, lose a few league games and his new signings make Lammers and Dessers look like Messi and Ronaldo then he will obviously be out the door by November.

If the above nightmare scenario would to happen then McInnes is the only manager I would want.

I say that as someone who has not wanted him in the past but he is clearly a good manager and has his teams organised.

That’s exactly what we’ll need if Clement is not successful.

All hypothetical.

I agree if, hypothetically, every other manager on the planet had died in a hypothetical nuclear war.

McInnes had his chance and has been pretty rubbish since apart from this season where he's done OK for Killie.

Then forget about Seville because Derek McInnesball ain’t taking us to a European final.
We've been in 5 European Finals in over 60 years mate. They don't happen that often and its not on our list of targets at the start of any season.

So if we want to get back to doing the business domestically again, it would be nice to have a manager who understands what's required to win Old Firm games for a start. Because since McCoist left, only 1 manager out of 7 has had that understanding. And not surprisingly, he's the only 1 that's won us the title so far. That's not a coincidence.

McInnes record in Europe is very poor. He couldn't match a Ronny Dialla celtic team and theres no chance hes beating Rodgers to the title. We might enjoy the odd victory but that would be it.

Signing McInnes, or someone like him, would be an admission from the board that we are out of ideas and are accepting of second place with the odd cup thrown in here or there IMO
100%.

At Aberdeen he had the second highest wagebill in the league in our absence, but all he had to show for it was one solitary League Cup win (on penalties against ICT).

Trying to put it in some sort of context, Steve Clarke had Kilmarnock neck and neck with both ourselves and the Yahoos for most of the 2018/19 season until falling away at the end.

That’s the sort of performance that makes you raise an eyebrow, IMO; McInnes bringing Kilmarnock in a distant fourth, much less so.

Putting aside the farcical episode that saw him reject the job when it was on offer, if our board was to ever turn to this goon it would be to signal that we were all out of ideas and a distant second place to the Beggars was the extent of our ambition.

Back