Devoted football fans experience 'dangerous' levels of stress

Jimmy Jazz

Devoted football fans experience such intense levels of physical stress while watching their team they could be putting themselves at risk of a heart attack, research suggests.

The Oxford study tested saliva from Brazilian fans during their historic loss to Germany at the 2014 World Cup.

It found levels of the hormone cortisol rocketed during the 7-1 home defeat in the semi-final.

This can be dangerous, increasing blood pressure and strain on the heart.

The researchers found no difference in stress levels between men and women during the game, despite preconceptions men are more "bonded to their football teams".

Impending doom
"Fans who are strongly fused with their team - that is, have a strong sense of being 'one' with their team - experience the greatest physiological stress response when watching a match," said Dr Martha Newson, researcher at the Centre for the Study of Social Cohesion, at Oxford.

"Fans who are more casual supporters also experience stress but not so extremely."

Prolonged high levels of cortisol can:

• constrict blood vessels
  • raise blood pressure
  • damage an already weakened heart
Raised cortisol can also give people a feeling of impending doom, that their life is in danger or they are under attack.

Previous research has shown an increase in heart attacks among fans on important match days, whether supporting club or country.

Harrowing match
In their study, the University of Oxford researchers tracked cortisol levels in 40 fans' saliva before, during and after three World Cup matches.

The most stressful by far was the semi-final.

"It was a harrowing match - so many people stormed out sobbing," Dr Newson told BBC News.

But the fans had used coping strategies such as humour and hugging to reduce their stress, bringing it down to pre-match levels by the final whistle.

Dr Newson suggested stadiums should dim the lights and play calming music after games.

"Clubs may be able to offer heart screenings or other health measures to highly committed fans who are at the greatest risk of experiencing increased stress during the game," she added.

There do seem to be quite a few reports of deaths and people taking ill during and after our matches.

I get stressed as %^*& while watching games sometimes. The recent humping of the tims a classic example, especially the minutes of the match after Katic scored. After the game though, I manage to keep it in perspective and calm down a bit!

I always feel like an anxiety attack is coming when at old firm games always been case must be the hyped up expectation.

Scottish cup semi final penalty shoot out vs them, never been as stressed at a match in my life lol

Often you don't think about the emotions you go through. Every scum game the last couple of seasons my blood pressure must've been ridiculous.

Even the other night when St Mirren got that corner in the last minute I was just about passing out.

I’m on medication for high blood pressure and it’s usually under control but after the game against the mentally challengeds I measured it and it was ridiculously high.

Trying being a dafty like me, when Rangers are on TV I just can’t stand it, I go walking, shopping anything not to hear the score until the end. Yes my BP must go through the ceiling. Yet I think nothing at Ibrox as a ST when watching the big games. Live games you can see what’s going on, TV is limited.

Trying being a dafty like me, when Rangers are on TV I just can’t stand it, I go walking, shopping anything not to hear the score until the end. Yes my BP must go through the ceiling. Yet I think nothing at Ibrox as a ST when watching the big games. Live games you can see what’s going on, TV is limited.

The last couple of games at the piggery where I've not had a ticket I've genuinely considered just doing something else and finding out the score later on because of the state I get myself in. Think that would just make me worse though as I'd drive myself nuts. Can't win.

It has happenned to several people I knew. One was a friend and neighbour who collapsed and died in Ibrox just shortly after entering the Stadium.

I looked on helplessly as the ambulance people tried unsuccessfully to resucitate him in the ambulance outside the main doors. He was 43.

The other, a neighbour, collapsed and died during a game against them at Parkhead. He was 23. Both suffered heart attacks.

Yet another friend suffered a heart attack celebrating a goal against them at Ibrox. Thankfully he survived. He was 48.

It gets worse with age, I feel ill most games I watch us play.

Too many more 1-0 wins and I’ll not make it to May
This is spot on, I find it easier watching at Ibrox than at home where I'm a nervous wreck .

I've had to sit down at games a few times as I get a massive sore head right on the top of my nut. Probably bad aids.

Said to a few people at the last Celtic game that it's not that enjoyable while it's on unless we're horsing them. The stress levels are through the roof, particularly this year.

No Helicopter Sunday's please, get it done asap.

The game against them at the end of December was hell until the final whistle.
Spent the entire time after the goal from Katic pacing up and down the living room. My watch had recorded that I'd completed a 30 min cardio session as my heart rate had increased.

After a big game I can feel physically tired and ready for a sleep straight after its the frequent burst of adrenaline that is the danger with different emotions.

The last couple of games at the piggery where I've not had a ticket I've genuinely considered just doing something else and finding out the score later on because of the state I get myself in. Think that would just make me worse though as I'd drive myself nuts. Can't win.

I know precisely where your coming from, what I didn’t say was if we went under, then for the next week or so, News Embargo, Radio Embargo Etc, blot it out.

As other posters have said. I think the older I'm getting the worst it gets. Younger I could watch an old firm game in mixed company. Now I would never dream of it. The last couple of games against that lot I've went round to my da's to watch and even that is murder. He can talk some shite sometimes

I've hyper ventilated at a game after we scored against the scum, had to go and drink some water and calm down. Not pleasant but the things we do for the things we love eh.

Are they sure the people they tested hadn’t just been taking narcotics in the toilet
erRHJpf.gif

Often you don't think about the emotions you go through. Every scum game the last couple of seasons my blood pressure must've been ridiculous.

Even the other night when St Mirren got that corner in the last minute I was just about passing out.
The St Mirren game and games like it are furgin murder

It took a study to come to this conclusion, wouldn’t change it for the world though.

I thought I was going to have a heart attack after Kent’s goal against the terriers. Genuinely had to watch after Katic scores as felt really not well

I thought I was going to have a heart attack after Kent’s goal against the terriers. Genuinely had to watch after Katic scores as felt really not well
you should maybe get yourself checked out mate. seriously,because that doesn't sound too great to be honest.

Okay so like everyone else after watching us beat the filth my heart rate was up & Fight or Flight response was engaged...which puts pressure on your body, however the levels of dopamine that was released during the subsequent 45 viewings of that game, well worth it !! Do a proper study next time !!!

I am shocked! Maybe that explains why I nearly passed out when Arfield scored against them last season (or maybe it was the crazy 60 seconds without taking a breath celebration)

Back